The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

21/0/18 Shield/Assault Hybrid PVP

Teldara

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but what do you think about my current build for PVP?

Here's the build: Vanguard Spec

Before you start typing "But Teldara, you have 2 points missing!" I'm aware of it and here's the reasoning:

Currently, I'm only level 48. Which means 2 points are missing. Since I'm not max level yet, I can't decide to put those two points in. You could put those two points into:

• 2/2 in Static Surge for the 30% increase damage with Stock Strike
  • 2/2 in Charge! for the 100% chance of Storm to increase speed by 30% for extra mobility
  • 2/2 in Rapid Regenration for reduced cooldown for Recharge Cells.

Decide whats best for you. Look at the strength and weaknesses from the build. Personally, I would go for Rapid Recharge for the Ammo Regeneration if it's lacking or with Static Surge for the extra burst from Stock Strike.

The reason I put 3/3 in Superheated Plasma (Assault) is for the High Friction Bolts, which ignores 30% of target's armor. It also generates 1 ammo if it hits a burning target.

With 3/3 into Ionic Accelerator, Ion Pulse has a 30% chance and Stockstrike has a 45% chance to finish the cooldown on High Impact Bolt and makes it free.

Basic Skill Priority

1. Incendiary Round - Make sure this is applied on your target at all times. Although it does little damage, the DoT allows you apply High Impact Bolt.
  2. Storm - The gap closer.
  3. High Impact Bolt - Since Incendiary Round is always applied, HIB will always be ready to be used when off Cooldown. With Ion Pulse proc, it can also allow you to use HIB if IR falls off. High Impact Bolt will refresh a lot from cooldown with this build. When you hear your character does a laugh, it means HIB refreshed cooldown.
  4. Stock Strike - You want to use Stock Strike AFTER the initial High Impact Bolt because stock strike could reset the cooldown of HIB. If you use it when HIB isn't on cooldown, you wasted a HIB.
  5. Ion Pulse - If HIB and Stock Strike is on cooldown, use Ion Pulse in between attacks to refresh HIB. Ion Pulse uses TWO ammo, so use sparingly or if you want to burst.
  6. Hammer Shot - Use in between attacks to allow some ammo regeneration.

Optionally, you can use Sticky Grenade as an opener before Incendiary Round for a delayed burst, although it doesn't do too much damage.

As with all builds, there's strength and weaknesses to them.

Strengths

• Sustainable Damage
  • Gap closer
  • Guard ability due to Ion Cell
  • Stock Strike applies a 50% slow
  • Refreshed Cooldown of High Impact Bolt
  • Greater Stealth Detection that immobilizes along with lowered cool down of stealth scan
  • Harpoon Immobolization
  • Great mobility and survivability with Ion Cell

Weaknesses

• Not as high as a burst compared to other builds
  • Not as ammo efficient.
  • Reliant on HIB. HIB is weapon damage, so the damage could be reduced by Armor/DR.

Let me know how you like the build. Criticism is always welcomed.

Edited by Teldara

Ah, 21/2/18 aka Carolina Parakeet (check Powertech forums :))

It's a good build and I used it for a last week. It's a lot better at 50 with additional 40% HIB armor ignore from Tactics.

Its weakness is its reliance on Incendiary Round for most of its heat management. If the enemy dispels it or if you find yourself switching targets often, it will be hard to manage your ammo regen.

Edited by Riulassher

Ah, 21/2/18 aka Carolina Parakeet (check Powertech forums :))

It's a good build and I used it for a last week. It's a lot better at 50 with additional 40% HIB armor ignore from Tactics.

Its weakness is its reliance on Incendiary Round for most of its heat management. If the enemy dispels it or if you find yourself switching targets often, it will be hard to manage your ammo regen.

Ah, sorry, didn't know there was another build. Looked a few pages on the Vanguard forum only lol.

Yeah, the heat/ammo management is a bit tough especially trying to keep up IR. But, it's a lot of fun and I'm doing great sustained damage. I forgot about the 2 points I could put into Tactics. I should actually do that because HIB is weapon damage and with armor it could deal a lot of damage or a little.

Carolina Parakeet

Please dont do that... let the bounty hunters use the silly names. Thats fine.

Lets just keep it to 21/2/18 or whatever eh?

God forbid we get to a point where Troopers start claiming that the African Turtle build is vastly superior to the Door-hinge Counterweight spec :D

Its wannabe elitism that just confuses people not in the know, for no good reason.

Edited by Sandzibar

Please dont do that... let the bounty hunters use the silly names. Thats fine.

Lets just keep it to 21/2/18 or whatever eh?

God forbid we get to a point where Troopers start claiming that the African Turtle build is vastly superior to the Door-hinge Counterweight spec :D

Its wannabe elitism that just confuses people not in the know, for no good reason.

The parakeet name is based on the spec points of 19/2/18. THere's nothing elitist about it, unless you count the spec (which is amazing).

Have some sympathy for our poor powertech cousins. Have you seen their armor? Cmn man cut em some slack, they already look like poop don't have to treat em like that too... ;)

I've tried this spec and personally found it wasnt very good for what I wanted to do.

The biggest problems are;

- Your wasting a lot of talent points in assault by not using plasma cell, and if you are going for damage, you are losing a lot of damage by not using plasma cell. If you go with plasma cell for the extra damage then you are wasting points in the shield spec tree, lose guard and be super squishy, especialy as you dont have any points in rebraced armour.

- Ammunition is going to be an absoloutely nightmare in a fast paced battle. This was by far the biggest issue. You wont be firing hib very much if you dont have any ammo.

If you are intent on staying with that build though i'd lose the two point from stealthscan or ceramic plating and put them in rebraced armour. Stealth scan is a waste of time other than the harpoon cool down and ceramic plating is ok for the extra minute coold down on adrenaline but as you dont have shield cycler and as a lot of pvp damage doesnt trigger shields, the 6% absorbtion isnt very effective.