Trandoshan (and other aliens) as a playable race.

Acidstrider

I am a big fan of the Trandoshan's, or any more alien races in general. Which is why one of my few problems with SWTOR is the lack of more alien races, outside of the Zabrak and Twi'lek.

As I discussed this with a friend, he said he did not think they'll ever be added, as they don't speak English, amongst some other reasons. So I decided to make a suggestion post, in the vague hope that it will make a difference.

I honestly wouldn't care if the Trandoshan's didn't speak English. Just use the already existing sound files and I'd be perfectly happy. I can easily just read the sub titles. And for people who don't like to read? Simply play one of the many English speaking races.

Trandoshan's are one of the more iconic, unique and interesting races in the game, and I'd happily pay extra to play as one, which is why it saddens me to see there is little to no sign of me ever getting to play one.

I did not intend for this to drag this out as long as I did. I am not here to list of all the reasons why I think the Trandoshan's should be in the game, but rather to let my voice be heard.

Perhaps you have a race you'd like to see in the game? If so please say which one and why, and lets hope Bioware grant our wish.... By the way no one will think your clever if you say Ewok, Gungan, Hutt or Jawa.

Edited by Acidstrider

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you've mentioned, the language would be a barrier. Not sure they'd go for it, the same applies to races like Wookies etc. I have a feeling they'll want to stick to their main selling point, that is fully voiced characters.

Just my opinion. Trying to think of races that are both alien and speak english. That's more likely to be implemented into the game.

I'd like to see more alien races, but I'd imagine that we're more likely to get ones that speak basic and are closer to human. Perhaps it is pessimistic of me, but given how Bioware can't even seem to deal with Twi'lek lekku and Miraluka face masks properly, I can't see them adding any really "alien" aliens.

It isn't that I think adding aliens like Trandoshans is a terrible idea, I just think that there are many other species that would be far easier to add and at least as popular (if not moreso). I'd hope to see Togruta, Cathar or Nautolan maybe.

Edited by Gwena

• 3 weeks later...

I would LOVE to play as a CATHAR,Togruta,or Kel Dorian,or Bothan or Argonian.I would agree that there are too many human type characters and not enough bizarre outlandish aliens to play.Cathar should DEFINATELY be playable in the future cuz they are sooo damn cool.Who doesnt want to be a Cat person?

:rod_tongue_p:Or a Rodian,Mon Cal,Ithorian etc CMON!

I don't think the language is a barrier in the slightest.

So your Dosh can speak Basic. Turns out my JC can speak Trandoshian fluently as well as his companion was always understood.

Suggesting that it would be weird or strange that an alien race would have an English Accent (if Imperial) is no odder than when I was on a flash point earlier and had someone with the exact same voice as my character. These things are accepted and part of the game so to say no to aliens cause of the language barrier yet every male Sith Warrior sounding exactly the same is normal is crazy.

I would love to see more Alien species in the game bring on the Dosh and the Gran.

I'm almost wondering if they are saving some of the alien races so they can make new classes with them.

Although some of them may be force wielders, a Trandoshan based class would be nice indeed - the same goes for some of the other alien species.

I would ejoy seeig Kel Dor added, as Plo Koon is one of my favorie characters from the movies. Plus they already have the basic Kel Dor model (Saw one on Taris), and they speak basic. I don't see why it would be so hard to implement.

I hope they add more species. I am sure Trandoshan can speak basic the ones in the game just choose not to, such as the Chiss on Hoth.

Whats dumb is the aliens say they never learn't to speak basic but can somehow understand it fluently. We all know alien speach was put in to save money on voiceovers, with the possible exception being Hutt and wookies.

Personaly I hope we get a lot more alien species added in, hopefully in March with legacy and maybe in the future as an expansion pack for the ones who need more additional content.

• 1 month later...

I can see the uproar in the conservative media now....

'Bioware not only promotes gay relationships and sex slavery in thier games...but now inter-species beas(why is this censord?)tiality with lizard men in relationships with human companions."

Edited by TKMaster

Okay, this issue raises it's head again. Here's your handy dandy quick checklist for whether or not your favourite alien race can be easily implemented:

1) Can they wear normal headgear without massive clipping issues?

2) Can they speak basic without looking weird?

3) Do they conform to the standard character body shapes (for animation)

4) Can they engage in kissyface?

5) Can you go to bed with them?

6) Do they have humanoid faces that can use the array of customisation options already in-game?

7) Is it worth the time, cost and effort of development for the number of players that will actually play this race?

Well this Poll may be 3 years old but it has proved popular - I never did get any direct feedback from Bioware - even though I was promised by Shaun...

MOST POPULAR, MOST VISITED and MOST WELL RATED thread on the Official SWTOR forums and all they did was delete it, if only they knew how much research went into it and feedback applied from the community.

Yes the famous - "What Species"

Here is the original Poll

And Here are the results

Advozse 2 = 0.02%

Anomid 1 = 0.01%

Aqualish 16 = 0.18%

Arcona 23 = 0.26%

Arkanian 92 = 1.03%

Balosar 9 = 0.1%

Bith 34 = 0.38%

Bothan 233 = 2.61%

Cathar 229 = 2.57%

Cerean 25 = 0.28%

Chagrian 69 = 0.77%

Chiss 226 = 2.53%

Defel 22 = 0.25%

Dashade 17 = 0.19%

Devaronian 49 = 0.55%

Droid 312 = 3.5%

Duros 82 = 0.92%

Echani 173 = 1.94%

Faleen 76 = 0.85%

Feeorin 27 = 0.3%

Gamorrean 27 = 0.3%

Gand 69 = 0.77%

Gotal 7 = 0.08%

Gran 19 = 0.21%

Human 801 = 8.98%

Iktotchi 44 = 0.49%

Ithorian 172 = 1.93%

Jawa 288 = 3.23%

Khil 13 = 0.15%

Kel Dorian 504 = 5.65%

Kiffar 48 = 0.54%

Lannik 10 = 0.11%

Massassi 75 = 0.84%

Miraluka 342 = 3.83%

Mirialan 51 = 0.57%

Mon Calamari 203 = 2.28%

Nikto 18 = 0.2%

Nautolan 652 = 7.31%

Nimbanel 1 = 0.01%

Noghri 55 = 0.62%

Pau'an 9 = 0.1%

Quarren 38 = 0.43%

Quermian 4 = 0.04%

Rakata 27 = 0.3%

Rattataki 15 = 0.17%

Rodian 271 = 3.04%

Selkath 103 = 1.15%

Shistavanen 90 = 1.01%

Sith 245 = 2.75%

Sluissi 8 = 0.09%

Sullustan 30 = 0.34%

Taung 100 = 1.12%

Togorian 39 = 0.44%

Togruta 403 = 4.52%

Toydaria 7 = 0.08%

Trandoshan 270 = 3.03%

Trianii 21 = 0.24%

Tunroth 2 = 0.02%

Twi'lek 623 = 6.98%

Ubese 29 = 0.33%

Ugnaught 7 = 0.08%

Umbaran 30 = 0.34%

Utai 3 = 0.03%

Kaleesh 98 = 1.1%

Kissai 11 = 0.12%

Kubaz 12 = 0.13%

Weequay 36 = 0.4%

Wookiee 530 = 5.94%

Xexto 21 = 0.24%

Zabrak 675 = 7.57%

Zelosian 28 = 0.31%

Zolander 20 = 0.22%

And my comments

Why was Rattataki made an available species - nobody really likes them, and I bet they are the least fav played species.

Why was Rodian, Nautolan and Keldorian NOT made available - probably because of the "romance arc" rubbish, what a shame.

Why did they not have some minor species (non-game breaking abilities) - to add immesion.

Edited by mat-ster

Okay, this issue raises it's head again. Here's your handy dandy quick checklist for whether or not your favourite alien race can be easily implemented:

6) Do they have humanoid faces that can use the array of customisation options already in-game?

7) Is it worth the time, cost and effort of development for the number of players that will actually play this race?

Twi'lek characters fail criteria one of your checklist.

I hate to bring other MMO's in to this as an example but WoW made it happen just fine. Yes it is a completely different case due to the strong differences between the two games but it proves the point that more Alien races can work fine. Besides they already got Trandoshans some sweet animations ingame.

I hate to bring other MMO's in to this as an example but WoW made it happen just fine. Yes it is a completely different case due to the strong differences between the two games but it proves the point that more Alien races can work fine. Besides they already got Trandoshans some sweet animations ingame.

Quite so. I've heard a few issues with the armor. Namely Trandoshan's don't wear boots gloves or helmets. Though personally I think this would be simple enough to fix. And on a personal note, if I was a Trandoshan, I'd never wear a helmet to cover up my reptilian awesomeness!

These are ridiculous stipulations that basically eliminate any alien I'd ever want to play.

1. Do it like some of the companion characters, they get the armor bonuses for having the item in its slot, but it doesn't appear on the character model.

2. If they have to speak basic in order to be playable, fine, I'll accept a Rodian or Gand or whatever speaking basic, but I don't see why they can't have a subtitled race

3. This is a legitimate concern. They would have to do all new animations for races like amanamen or chevin.

4. Why eliminate a race for something that only happens 3 or 4 times in a play through? So an alien character will clip in a kissing scene. Big deal. It would be more funny than anything else.

5. You can go to bed with anything. ANYTHING.

6. Why not simply have different customization options? I saw two Gand npcs, my companion Yuun, and a random Gand findsman. They both had different mouth pieces. Easy to give the alien species a few head models.

7. This is definitely worth it to get swtor out of the camp of only having playable races that are basically recolored humans. When your most alien choice is twe'lek, you're doing something wrong.

Personally I'd love a Gand, Gran, Trandoshan, Rodian, Ishi Tib, Quarren, Mon Calamari, etc.

I would not be as jazzed about seeing Nautolans, Togruta, or Cathar

1. Why not have all gear customized to fit all available races. If you can equip anything as gnome, human, dwarf, darnei, orc, tauren and goblin why is not possible to do same here for Yaddle, Wookie, Gungan?

2. Why basic? If i can listen to my "alien" companions and other species in game and understand them why i can't be one of them and when i talk to npc-s it's subtitled and when i write to other people they "understand me" like they understand everyone else in game. So it don't break RP.

3. and 6. Why? (see above)

4. and 5. Do we really need Gungan sex? Is it in game romance that important. Do we really think everyone must have romance? Can't they put some "romance species exclusive companion's?

7. To me greatest experience in other mmos was playing something different(race). And to see in world so many different characters. And when i mean different it doesn't mean different colored humans but so many nice species which SW universe have.

Also, you can't make the argument that a race as to be able to emote.

My trooper wears a helmet 98% of the time. Is it worth limiting races for that 2%? Surely not.

If I want a Gand character, why can't I have one? My trooper is always helmeted, it's practically the same thing. HECK, if you made a helmet that looks like a Gand head, I'd basically be a Gand for all intents and purposes.