So who has the worst storyline? break it down

Horatio

Since when did genre comparisons equate to direct comparison between writers? By that logic I'd be comparing this story to STO's story. Or WoW's story to Game of Thrones. Neither of them hold true.

But you weren't making genre comparison, were you? ;) You compared two characters and characters are what makes great author. So in extension, I just pointed out, that this is not a good comparison. And also wanted to ask you if you hold TOR's writting in such a high regard.

But we are way OFF- Topic with this.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the Sith Inquisitor storyline. I played a Sorceror/Healer. The most boring combat but with the most survivability. As a result, I was able to finish the SI storyline at L48. I have to say, I was very disappoiined

Act 1 was not too bad. A beautiful Sith makes me her apprentice (though why she chooses me rather than anyone else is never revealed) and eventually I find out she's in fact very old and is trying to steal my body. In a mix-up, I kill her and her soul goes into one of my companions. This is in fact an interesting opened with a nice twist. Perhaps because it is of such high quality, the Chapters that follow seem arbitrary and broing.

Act II. For some reason, never properly justified or explained, one powerful Darth now regards me as a mortal enemy. In order to make myelf strong enough to fight him, I have to 'consume' ghosts. So I travel the galaxy, being a Ghostbuster. At the end of the chapter, I fight him, beat him but it turns out I've eaten too many ghosts and may die soon.

Act III. First, I have to travel to new planets to find a cure - which I do pretty easily. And then resume my strange and pointless struggle against the enemy Darth. I find and beat him - again. But he escapes. I then go - immediately - to Korriban , where I fight him again (for the third time). And then kill him. Nothing has changed in the interim, I just get lucky this time around, I guess. This somehow qualifies me to be a Darth and get appointed to the Dark Council (as a reward at the end of this entire quest chain, I got a new pair of trousers).

All in all, I thought this story was weak, haphazard, illogical and not worthy of Bioware.

Which class - that you've played - has a worse story?

And which ahs the best?

I stopped reading at Act 1. Not entirely sure I can trust the opinion of someone who clearly spacebar'd the whole of Korriban.

You get picked as the apprentice because you're the only one to complete the trials. Simples

Edited by Heley

I played a BH all the way through and while the story certainly had its high points, there was an awful lot of filler.

I played JK for a while, but completely lost interest. The story is terrible. I started out by single-handedly saving the jedi order, before I had even made my lightsaber. In doing so, I easily defeated the guy who had defeated my master, who was, supposedly, a great warrior. Then, I single-handedly saved Coruscant, capital of the Galactic Republic. It's like badly written fan fic.

I've played them all up to at least twenty, so I don't have a full grasp on the stories of all the classes, but my Shadow & Operative are very close to finished. The Smuggler is my least favourite and the Agent is my favourite. I also like the Trooper story a lot, but that could just be all the Jennifer Hale.

i have nly played the Sith warrior to completion and found it very enjyable, loved it and cant imagine it being topped very easily. i have played an Inq to level 20 and find all of it boring form gameplay to story.

I also can't stand the Inquisitor. I think it's unbelievably boring to play. It's easily my least favourite class overall.

Consular story I think is by far the worst. I like the class but feel like I wasted my time with the story. The romance (for females) was terrible, dry and boring and the story felt rushed like they completely forgot to write it and hacked something together shortly before release. Theran Cedrax is a total jerk, Iresso is BORING, Qyzen is bland and uninteresting, Zenith isn't terrible but he's not a useful companion for me and while I use goody-goody Nadia she's not all that interesting.

I started an Imperial Agent which I am enjoying and my Jedi Knight is pretty fun story-wise and it irks me that when I got to the final boss of the Sage storyline I thought to myself... "That's it? Seriously?" and the ending scene wasn't that good either I was horribly disappointed and haven't been able to play the character since. I want to since I enjoy her play style but...I'm still kind of bitter about how the whole thing turned out.

To me the SI is the worse on the sidestory quests, companion quests more then anything with the story quests. Like someone else said with the Agent you're passing yourself off to everyone in the galaxy while the SW seems to have more LS/DS choices. BH is driven by profit over revenge IMO so the revenge is a sweet topping to the cake.

I don't know how much race plays into the the reactions in the story or sidestory missions and romance options or companion stories, cause I know where some of my other characters have been "succesful" others have not.

I need to go ahead and make a human of all classes and see how things play out because the humans seem to get the best reactions in missions.

The problem with the SI storyline isn't the unexplained plot mess. There are reasons there, they are just not touched enough in the storytelling to make themselves really apparent. And while that does make some parts of the story feel like plot devices pushed upon us (the Kaggath for example), I don't feel it was what really killed it. At least not for me.

What killed it for me was...

The damned ghosts and artifacts. I thought after the first one or two that would be enough, and it was cool at first but only because I thought it would tie into something much bigger. But they keep throwing these same things at you over and over and over, until you get to the end, leaving a sour taste.

Maybe other people feel differently, I dunno!

I'm sorry but your explanation of the SI story is what's called 'post-hoc rationalisation'. You're puting in justifications and reasons that have occurred to you but which were not actually written by Bioware.

Thats kind of the point to a RPG. Why do people need everything spelled out in black and white for them? That's part of the fun, that is what makes this game immersive.

Not everyone can have an awesome storyline as the Smuggler.

Chasing after a legendary treasure to blasting some imp big shot, we've got it all baby.

:csw_falcon:

Not to mention the best ship in the game. Come on it's just like the good old ebon hawk!

That's why it sucks, because it feels the same. :rolleyes:

Level 50 inquis and warrior

Love the inquis story, it was hilarious at points *cough* khem val and zash *cough* and generally, to use the cliche term 'epic'

Warrior....>_> start was good but then it got into go my good little apprentice kill for me then *spoillllerrssss* i'll betray u then u gotta kill me k?.

Oh man it was boring. Plus i prefer the inquisitor companions, apart from malavai he is actaully quite funny to talk to plus he hasn't got an annoying voice like jaessa *even though i'm married to her*

This is going to be very subjective.

Personally I didn't like either the BH or Smuggler storylines, I'm just not a fan of mercenary arcs and like the feeling of being loyally involved in an epic galactic war, with those two classes it was only about getting rich.

IA is the one that really stood out for me, it was the only class where I felt compelled to skip general questing to just get on with the story in order to see what happens next.

SI:

Pros: You get the illusion of independence. You aren't really taking orders from anyone, you are doing what you want (need). Female VO is absolutely amazing. By far the best for all classes I played.

Cons: Tons of filler (ghosts), completely railroaded choices, assumes your character is dumb as a brick (how many times did Kallig had to tell me I was going to be betrayed, REALLY? And then I still walk into it? How many times you get 3 dumb choices and just sitting there think 'really? Is my character that dumb?'), companions whose presence on your ship seems stretched at best.

SW:

Pros: You get to be Darth Vader. You get to rise up from apprentice to Emperor's right hand with just your skill and power. You get some ability to manipulate, crush, destroy or be a nice guy depending on how you want to play it.

Cons: You are taking orders entire way. Feels like I have no way to think on my own. Others set goals, I make it happen. Slightly better on LS path as you are actually secretly undermining everything, but then it feels like everyone else is being stupid. On Voss Emperor gives a major hint about his plans for the Galaxy and you kinda go 'oh, ok!'.

Other: Weren't Miraluka's seeing world through the force and capable of seeing peoples alignment? Is Jaesa's gift that unique? Certainly in later stages when she could search entire sectors for lightsiders it is, but by the time you get her she needed to be near someone and concentrate specifically on them?

JK

Pros: Epic enemies, epic quests, you get to be the big hero, Kira is one of the few companions in game that (to me) had an interesting personality.

Cons: Overdone. Save this planet, save that planet...by the end of Act 1 you are feeling sorta burned out of your 'epicness'.

Havent played others completely. Trooper seemed too constrained by being in military and following orders, but I didnt get past Act 1 yet. Would probably enjoy smuggler a lot, but class mechanics for them was a pain for me.

I'm sorry but your explanation of the SI story is what's called 'post-hoc rationalisation'. You're puting in justifications and reasons that have occurred to you but which were not actually written by Bioware. More to the point, the few elements you mention that are part of the official story, don't make sense:

For example, you seem to think that Thanaton's excuse for hating you - 'Oh, his master killed some Sith' - is a compelling reason to drive the underlying story. This is ridiculous. You kill plenty of other Sith during the course of the story and no-one else gives a damn.

Darth Thanation is an Arch-Tradationalist. According to ancient sith law, which he adheres to but not many other sith do, the murder of a Darth is punishable by death of not only the murderer but their entire powerbase. He also views you as a legitimate threat, since your predecessor, Darth Zash, was also gunning for Thanations position. Since you obviously managed to kill her, he fears your potential. All of this is explained through dialogue.

Thanaton himself explains this to you. Did you skip cutscenes or something?

Edited by LordZanos

I've playe almost all the republic storylines early prologues and found them pretty boring it sjust taking orders most of the time and fetch this kill that. I've also played the sith inquisitor and warrior and they are very similar to their mirrors early on fetch this kill that etc. The questline I really enjoyed early on was the the Bounty Hunter, mostly because there is almost no one to tell you what to do.

Darth Thanation is an Arch-Tradationalist. According to ancient sith law, which he adheres to but not many other sith do, the murder of a Darth is punishable by death of not only the murderer but their entire powerbase. He also views you as a legitimate threat, since your predecessor, Darth Zash, was also gunning for Thanations position. Since you obviously managed to kill her, he fears your potential. All of this is explained through dialogue.

Thanaton himself explains this to you. Did you skip cutscenes or something?

in the blood of the empire Thanation saw vision of his death by the hands of player sith inquestor.

and tires to pervent the vision by killing your sith inquestor

Edited by undeadsithdread

SI:

SW:

Other: Weren't Miraluka's seeing world through the force and capable of seeing peoples alignment? Is Jaesa's gift that unique? Certainly in later stages when she could search entire sectors for lightsiders it is, but by the time you get her she needed to be near someone and concentrate specifically on them?

As far as I understand, Jaesa had superpowerful version of Force Sight. She was able to see not only alignment (and, honestly, agent on Balmorra was probably lightsided, he was a nice guy), but also personality traits, and probably some thoughts. Kinda like telepathy.

My alt consular is 25 right now and I can't stand the story line or the male consular personality. I just wanna punch my character in the face every time he talks lol.

The story line just seems like terrible fan writing. "Possessed jedi are doing bad stuff! you gotta go cast a spell on them!" really really stupid.

i personally loved IA's storyline but that might be through the fact that i wanted to play an Imperial Not a Sith so that's what i stuck with and i got that i really liked the story because i felt like i actually had an impact on what was happening in comparison to what i played of the SW because i only felt like i was killing potential Soldiers/cannonfodder on my own side. The IA atleast he felt like he did something for the Empire as a whole.

I highly recommend the Sith Warrior's storyline as well. It's fairly epic as far as SWTOR storylines go and puts a lot of things into context.

I have a lvl 50 jugg.

I disagree with the praise you give the story. Though it's not by any means a bad story, it wasn't particularly outstanding either. Chapter 1 was the best for me as it actually felt like some sort of a chase, a hunt. The rest and the ending of the story is very predictable and anyone could have seen it from Chapter 1 itself where everyone

tells you that Baras is only using you for his own means

. It's an ok story, but nothing significant or particularly good about it

I'm currently playing a BH at lvl 32. just finished chapter 1. It was pretty fun as well, I hope that the same momentum is kept throughout chapter 2 and 3.

I simply can not stand the Imperial Agent story. I have heard many arguments for why it's such a great story but I just hated it. I hated the entire "I'm Bond, James Bond" feel of the thing. To me, it's little more than one spy adventure after another, from the very start, even. Gag-worthy. And before you ask, yes, I hate James Bond movies, too.

Just bugs me, for instance, every time any IA says, "Remember my name, give me credit for what happened here!" I groaned the last time I was grouped with my husband during a run through of Black Talon and had an IA in the group who did that. I said to hubby, "No spy worth his salt would EVER say anything like that."

Perhaps if the story hadn't followed such a cliched hollywood-version of a spy's work -- I don't know. As it is, the IA is the only class who doesn't have a character sitting on my load screen, lol.

Personally, the IA story strikes me more as Jason Bourne than James Bond. Truth be told, I found Act I's storyline to be rather blasse (though it did ring true with an American notion of [counter]intelligence by subverting terrorists) but had a very nice twist at the end of it, and Act II has been absolutely wicked awesome and enjoyable.

I certainly agree with you, however, about the conversation choices where you tell the person to remember you - as an IA, I avoid those like the plague for roleplay purposes (plus I wouldn't be so smug to say that myself). It really doesn't fit the notion of someone who works for Intelligence, let alone someone who works hiding in plain sight.

So for me, anyway, I find that the Imperial Agent story is very much worth completing. I played a Jedi Consular on my first server up to the mid-40s and didn't feel at all engrossed in the story. To be sure, there were some spots that I did find interesting, but there were also parts that were too predictable. To me, it was just another set of quests to complete, and I ended up just finding the style of playing a Kinetic Combat tank more satisfying - that's what drove me, not the story.

In another thread addressing this topic (which took a positive, rather than negative, perspective), it appeared that Bounty Hunters, Imperial Agents, Sith Warriors, and Smugglers were the most enjoyed class storylines, the Sith Inquisitor storyline kept getting pummeled by a baseball bat, while the remaining classes were more or less considered "meh." Of course, it depends on what you're looking for in a story.