Let's compare early WoW with early TOR

Leohat

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoooosh.

I think he means once you hit lvl 25 you're GOING to Tatooine, no ifs and or maybes. You can't do alderaan, cause they'll squish you, you can't go back to nar shadda, cause the bonus series is higher than alderaan. So have fun in Tatooine!

The story is nice, but 2ed time around i'm noticing it goes stale, 'cept for class quests.

In WoW (since we like comparing to it) you can go to several zones at 25. Duskwood, Stone Talon, and Arathi Highlands... I never did the Horde quests, so. :p

You can go to 3 different zones, that when combined, are still smaller than tattooine.

That's just the way I see it though. I enjoy the levelling process in TOR much more than I did in WoW (Although Tattooine was my least favorite planet). And yes the side quests are the same if you level a toon on the same faction, but in WoW EVERY quest is the same, you just have more to choose from. You can kill 20 spiders in duskwood, or 20 raptors in Arathi, is it really that different?

At least I get to kill 20 Jawas instead ;)

lol i am saying if people want more options to level in different planets then bioware would have to remove out class quest since it would be stupid to have a level 40 jedi questing on alderaan and some level 15 is questing there because his class quest told him to go there and they run into each other.

or you bioware could make planets for your class quest but guess what you will only see your class there and nobody else world pvp killer... or even so your mirror class is there you have no class variations in the area.

it is more like you can have 1 but not the other until a game has this ability to do this i see this as impossible.

In gw2 you'll be able to lvl in a lvl 10 area @ lvl 70 so..

the problem is that one group is so indoctrinated that they can barely understand that there's another way to do things people enjoy or that one size does not fit all and the market is big enough for both....and just possibly that's why wow has lost twice as many players as it ever had.

this... you just speak my mind bro..

Whoooosh.

I think he means once you hit lvl 25 you're GOING to Tatooine, no ifs and or maybes. You can't do alderaan, cause they'll squish you, you can't go back to nar shadda, cause the bonus series is higher than alderaan. So have fun in Tatooine!

The story is nice, but 2ed time around i'm noticing it goes stale, 'cept for class quests.

In WoW (since we like comparing to it) you can go to several zones at 25. Duskwood, Stone Talon, and Arathi Highlands... I never did the Horde quests, so. :p

Yes, there seems to be a stricter limitation on which "zone" you can go to.

But bear in mind, a SWTOR planet sitting next to a WoW zone is like a texas sized ribeye steak chillin' next to a dried up puppy kibble. One of the first things I noticed about this game is the 50-60% remainder on every planet that is available as bonus series, the HUGE spaces, and the fact that you have a buffet of environments that you cannot possibly consume in the progression of any single character, unless you are willing to grind grey quests that grant little or no experience for the sake of completionism.

rehashing old content is quality? Wow doesnt take much to impress you i guess.

What does that have to do with anything?

Here's the deal: you're foolish if you think that WoW somehow sucked or was not a masterfully crafted game. Even game designer - including those at BioWare - played it and lauded it for the amazing accomplishment. And it is.

It's a complete benchmark and milestone in so many ways... many of which won't be eclipsed for years.

WoW is a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because it allowed TOR and other MMOs to happen. It's a curse because it's so big and the bar has been set so high, it's very difficult for others to compete.

But competition is good, remember....

You can go to 3 different zones, that when combined, are still smaller than tattooine.

That's just the way I see it though. I enjoy the levelling process in TOR much more than I did in WoW (Although Tattooine was my least favorite planet). And yes the side quests are the same if you level a toon on the same faction, but in WoW EVERY quest is the same, you just have more to choose from. You can kill 20 spiders in duskwood, or 20 raptors in Arathi, is it really that different?

At least I get to kill 20 Jawas instead ;)

I guess it's a different strokes for different folks. Cause I care more about the area then the quests... unless it's the stupid goretusk livers. >_>

In TOR, story aside, the quests are all the same too. First time around I totally didn't notice it. I was having a BLAST with my gunslinger, I felt epic killing things, helping this guy in Czerka, etc. But once I made my 3-4th alt (because the LFG system at the moment needs work, gimme a global LFG channel PLEASE!) I started noticing it. :(

Tatooine is my favorite planet! AND you killed jawas? You heartless sith... :p

lol i am saying if people want more options to level in different planets then bioware would have to remove out class quest since it would be stupid to have a level 40 jedi questing on alderaan and some level 15 is questing there because his class quest told him to go there and they run into each other.

or you bioware could make planets for your class quest but guess what you will only see your class there and nobody else world pvp killer... or even so your mirror class is there you have no class variations in the area.

it is more like you can have 1 but not the other until a game has this ability to do this i see this as impossible.

well at this point in the game its too late to change things due to class story quest but who knows how future expansion will be but yea im just sayin thats how they are now. and i would rather them fix stuff like ability delay than work on something like this.

Here's the deal: you're foolish if you think that WoW somehow sucked or was not a masterfully crafted game. Even game designer - including those at BioWare - played it and lauded it for the amazing accomplishment. And it is.

It's a complete benchmark and milestone in so many ways... many of which won't be eclipsed for years.

WoW is a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because it allowed TOR and other MMOs to happen. It's a curse because it's so big and the bar has been set so high, it's very difficult for others to compete.

WoW was an amazing game! I played from shortly after it launched until the first time I made it through ICC. It was a Really good game.

The community it garnered is what killed it for me.

Nothing wrong with competition. What i have a problem with is the rabid wow zealots that think nothing will ever be as good as wow but somehow stay here trolling the forums instead of playing wow.

WoW was an amazing game! I played from shortly after it launched until the first time I made it through ICC. It was a Really good game.

The community it garnered is what killed it for me.

you hit the nail on the head about the community i really really hate the WoW community especially around the time gear score was a popular add on now my main was decked out in gear but my DK at the time had like ulduar gear on and i tried to get into a 3d zerg and they was asking for a 6.2k gs which is like 25 icc gear.... i hope that add on never see the light of day again.

I guess it's a different strokes for different folks. Cause I care more about the area then the quests... unless it's the stupid goretusk livers. >_>

In TOR, story aside, the quests are all the same too. First time around I totally didn't notice it. I was having a BLAST with my gunslinger, I felt epic killing things, helping this guy in Czerka, etc. But once I made my 3-4th alt (because the LFG system at the moment needs work, gimme a global LFG channel PLEASE!) I started noticing it. :(

Tatooine is my favorite planet! AND you killed jawas? You heartless sith... :p

BH main ftw.

So far Hoth has been my favorite. That planet is truly massive. Also I find it kind of fun that when I am 2 levels higher than the planet recommends, I can still get ganked by elite ninja wampas that hide near low level mobs and are level 47.

Yes, there seems to be a stricter limitation on which "zone" you can go to.

But bear in mind, a SWTOR planet sitting next to a WoW zone is like a texas sized ribeye steak chillin' next to a dried up puppy kibble. One of the first things I noticed about this game is the 50-60% remainder on every planet that is available as bonus series, the HUGE spaces, and the fact that you have a buffet of environments that you cannot possibly consume in the progression of any single character, unless you are willing to grind grey quests that grant little or no experience for the sake of completionism.

i think it would be leaps and bounds better if the planets areas all looked alot different and there were like optional routes to take on the planet to quest which on this game its more of do quests till u high enough lvl than skip all but storyline till your to the point where u need do side quests for xp and it really starts to get linear higher lvls. if it was like go to planet A but in planet A u can go quest route A B or C as well has doin storyline quest than it would be alot better

And thats the "curse" part of it. The perception that WoW was the first to do everything it did, when in fact most everything that came with WoW came with one game or another previously, it just didn't all come in one single package. A cartoony, easy to learn, and easy to master package.

The sub-teenagers that have proven how easy WoW is to master are also the ones that perpetuate the myth that it's the first of it's kind.

Lets hope. I want gw2 to be good but im very happy about the fact they have no forums, i dont wana read this wow fanboy garbage about gw2 when its out.

You wont have to log out of the game and go to any forums to enjoy reading it in general chat.

And thats the "curse" part of it. The perception that WoW was the first to do everything it did, when in fact most everything that came with WoW came with one game or another previously, it just didn't all come in one single package. A cartoony, easy to learn, and easy to master package.

The sub-teenagers that have proven how easy WoW is to master are also the ones that perpetuate the myth that it's the first of it's kind.

even WoW story telling has rip offs like come on lich king ending = ROTJ ending

Wrath gate video is the Black gate....

just to name a few

and clearly arthas is darth vader both was good heroes and both turn to the bad side by manipulation and lust for power.

by the same token swtor hasn't had 6 years of refinement.....

Wait what? Not only did they have 6 years of refinement by being able to copy all the good things from WoW, they also had the massive and easy opportunity to improve everything people didn't like about WoW and avoid the same mistakes games like Warhammer, AoC, Aion and Star Trek had.

And still SWTOR has more bugs than vanilla WoW had and has 2004 graphics as well.

Already the amount of subscriptions have dropped by about 50% to 500k and in another month this game will probably host around 350k people, similar to EVE Online.

As Kotor 3 this game is very good, as an MMO it's the worst attempt of a paid MMO ever.

Edited by DaniWes

even WoW story telling has rip offs like come on lich king ending = ROTJ ending

Wrath gate video is the Black gate....

just to name a few

and clearly arthas is darth vader both was good heroes and both turn to the bad side by manipulation and lust for power.

And they didn't add werewolves simply because of the current Twi-hard craze. No, not at all.

They also didn't jersey up the goblins simply because of that pop-culture phenom either, did they?

They wouldn't dare add an NPC named Haris Pilton right after her nono-tape popped up, would they?

It's so blatant how blizz plays on pop culture and plays on the success of other products and people, you'd have to be a complete fanboy to not notice.

Edited by Celebrus