The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BW went backwards in space combat?

Cesar_Andrade

I know the space combat is not meant to be what I and a lot of other want it to be but...

Why put it in the game at all then? After I did each mission 3-5 times on my Jugg I was done. I have not touched space combat on my Operative. Why did they put something in the game that so few people will ever touch on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th character?

I just don't get it.

-Because some of us actually enjoy it. You are not the only player of TOR.

-Because it can be expanded and improved. Easier to expand and improve rather than try to add something from scratch.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this game to death and have a lot of faith in Bioware that they will fix a lot of the problems present but I can't help but say that the space combat in this game gets lame after 3-4 times...It feels like Star fox which is great but whoever wanted this to be the main space combat in the game should be spanked with the EA paddle.

What happened to SWG space combat where I could enter my ship (ON THE PLANET) then fly straight up into the Atmosphere to were I could explore and fly in any direction I wanted...If only SWTOR had that then maybe it would be an excellent game, but for now its only good because I want to feel like I'm playing Star Wars.

I played galaxies for many years and I though the space content sucked. It was pretty much black everywhere you went, people got lost all the time. The missions where mediocre at best. The ONLY cool thing was having other players man your guns. Even then, it never had the thrilling feel of a star wars space battle from any of the movies.

Although this version is on rails, it feels more iconic then galaxies. IMO

Ya . . . E&B was seriously ahead of it's time, and EA pulled the plug on it way too soon. It was WoW in space before WoW was ever released. Great game that TOR could take some lessons from I think. Still have my EA/Net-7 Activation ID lol. A Canadian indie tried resurrecting it and porting it to the newer OS's with the Earth & Beyond Emulator, but the program died out when it was announced that Crytpic picked up the STO license from Perpetual. Edited by GalacticKegger

eh, they put it in the game so the marketing dept. could sell the feature of "Space Combat."

You don't spend that much money on that basis. There's a certain amount of man-hours into this area of the game. There may be more later.

Does anybody remember Freelancer? I think space combat kinda like that would be fun. Could incorporate NPCs on ground and stations to give space missions, or even heroic space missions for groups\multiplayer. Just my thoughts

I don't see what people are so up in arms about, really. Space combat in SWTOR is basically exactly as it happened in the movies. SWG was farther from what Star Wars depicted than SWTOR is.

What do we see of space in Star Wars? People standing on ships, jump to light speed!

What do we see of space in SWTOR? People standing on ships, jump to lightspeed to destination!

What do we see of space combat in Star Wars? A mostly linear, mission driven pathing following the main characters in the midst of a hectic battle.

What do we see of space combat in SWTOR? A mostly linear, mission driven pathing following the main characters in the midst of a hectic battle.

What do we see in SWG? Random blank space, fly through space, encounter fighters that just happen to be patrolling infinitely.

How is that better? What? Because you can cruise around in your ship? I don't remember the part in Star Wars where Luke and Han just decided to take a pleasure cruise. The only time you really saw anything about it in Star Wars was during the mission-oriented flight scenes or the jump to lightspeed. Which is basically the same stuff we get in SWTOR.

I also don't recall the part where Luke flew his x-wing out into space and farmed random pirates that seemed to have no home base and an infinite supply of fuel. :rolleyes:

touché :)

the fact its "on rails" allows them to direct the scene and give the entire experience a dramatic narrative.

real free space simulators tend to be, as i said, boring. and nothing like star wars. star wars "space flight" is based on ww2 era dogfighting and its (fictional) depiction in movies.

space, as it says in hitchhikers, is big, really big...and most of it is empty of interest and/or exciting action sequences...

tbh this subject is a pretty good example of people thinking they want something they actually don't.

i can't imagine how the folks who want instant travel everywhere (in an other current thread) could possibly deal with trying to find an enemy to shoot in the boundless limits of space.

Freelancer wasn't boring at all. You just have to have designers that aren't thinking inside a box.

Edited by Astron_

its not "main space combat" its a largely pointless mini game with some progression and a daily quest they gave you as an extra when they really had no pressure to give you anything resembling space combat.

honestly the game could have came out with NONE AT ALL and people would have said less about it.

beats the crap out dropping bombs from gryphons on auto pilot tho....

oh shut up.

its like star fox, which was universally acclaimed. its on rails because they can easily make that involving and cinematic with a narrative to events plus you were told the space flight side of gameplay was going to be extended the day after the game launched.

name one ground and space based mmo with free flight.

go on !

i'll wait...

Umm, Star Trek Online?

Ah, no. No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does. By opening with "Freelancer was good", it is inferred that you're saying it should be more like Freelancer. Which means thinking inside the Freelancer box instead of the StarFox box.

And I'm really just pointing it out because it's funny to me.

Edited by Inarai

Never played SWG, but SWTOR space combat feels like something I should be playing on my phone, not on a current release MMO (or any current PC video game for that matter). Its almost insulting to have them pass this off on players, especially those who have played other SW games in the past that have far better entertainment and replay value.

Current SWTOR space combat versus THIS with updated graphics and relevant settings.

Actually, they probably would make a lot of customers for life if they just copied and pasted the entire PvP system from that game I linked into this one.

I love this game to death and have a lot of faith in Bioware that they will fix a lot of the problems present but I can't help but say that the space combat in this game gets lame after 3-4 times...It feels like Star fox which is great but whoever wanted this to be the main space combat in the game should be spanked with the EA paddle.

What happened to SWG space combat where I could enter my ship (ON THE PLANET) then fly straight up into the Atmosphere to were I could explore and fly in any direction I wanted...If only SWTOR had that then maybe it would be an excellent game, but for now its only good because I want to feel like I'm playing Star Wars.

Yeah compared to JTLS SWTORs space combat is poor.

It's poor compared to anything buy Star Fox (1992) really, that's not to say it can't be fun, but it gets very old with repatition very quickly.

Pretty much anything Bioware can do to space combat would be an improvements.

I genuine open and free space expansion would be amazing as would space based PvP.

Yes, it does. By opening with "Freelancer was good", it is inferred that you're saying it should be more like Freelancer. Which means thinking inside the Freelancer box instead of the StarFox box.

And I'm really just pointing it out because it's funny to me.

Nope, it doesn't. I said "Freelancer wasn't boring", not "Freelancer was good". I personally think it was good, yes, but I didn't say so in the post. I also did not say it should be more like Freelancer. The issue was that someone mentioned free-roaming in space would be boring because space is vast.

It was very well designed when it came to freeroaming in a huge universe, because it was always something exciting to do. Either trade, finding ancient spaceships with awesome weapons for your ship in distant nebulas, bountyhunting, you name it.

Making such a huge universe and not having tedious travel-moments, etc. is a great achievement in space-simulators in my opinion.

On another note, I think SW:TOR's space-combat is absolutely horrible though. A 1990's arcade rail-shooter with updated graphics? Come on...they could have at least done it better than that.

Edited by Astron_

What do we see of space combat in Star Wars? A mostly linear, mission driven pathing following the main characters in the midst of a hectic battle.

What do we see of space combat in SWTOR? A mostly linear, mission driven pathing following the main characters in the midst of a hectic battle.

If SW = SWTOR then Han would have flown straight to Jabba with his pay off (the Falcon would have been on rails so he'd have had no choice), rather than coming back to help Luke. :eek:

Seriously there have been a lot of space combat games, and a lot of SW space combat games, SWTORs ranks very near the bottom of either those (it's basically Star Fox 1992 with better graphics).

It's ok for what it is, but if that is the best a SW MMO can give in 2012 it's a sad, sad world we live in.

Nope, it doesn't. I said "Freelancer wasn't boring", not "Freelancer was good". I personally think it was good, yes, but I didn't say so in the post. I also did not say it should be more like Freelancer. The issue was that someone mentioned free-roaming in space would be boring because space is vast.

It was very well designed when it came to freeroaming in a huge universe, because it was always something exciting to do. Either trade, finding ancient spaceships with awesome weapons for your ship in distant nebulas, bountyhunting, you name it.

Making such a huge universe and not having tedious travel-moments, etc. is a great achievement in space-simulators in my opinion.

Intentional or not, the implication is there. And I found it funny. Are you not able to laugh at yourself?