The problem with giving healers more medals.

Ottobot

People complain that want to zone on health bars, and generally suck at multitasking. Here's the problem, multitaskers are good PvPers. Many of us can be heal spec, and figure out how to throw a grenade, or use an alt-modifier and have our dmg abilities still hotkeyed as well as our heals. Here are two examples of decent WZ performances I've done, as a pvp healing specced Operative:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/sonan303/Screenshot_2012-01-21_14_11_58_962453.jpg - 9 medals

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/sonan303/Screenshot_2012-01-13_13_23_44_766815.jpg - 11 medals

Grant it, I don't get 11 medals everytime. I average 7-9, and even in a really bad roflstomp match I manage 4-6 depending. Notice, I don't even get the 300k healing done medal. Its too much work for too little gain. But how bad are you that you seriously only got 2-3 medals for healing? Most of you can't even get the 5k heal. Are you using your relics? Are you using pvp stims? Hell take a bunch of dmg and get out of combat for 10 seconds to drop the 30% debuff and go hide and crit yourself. You claim to be awesome healers cause you get 300, 400, 500k+ healing in a match, but I wonder if you really have any idea whats going on?

Multitask. Learn to heal or dmg appropriately. No ones cares if you got mad high healing numbers but you sat there and watched your buddy take 3 days to kill that jedi. Team up, use your dmg abilities, stuns, dots, and **** the jedi. heal you both up afterwards. Tough fight? Do enough healing to keep your group up, but you still need to do stuns and dots and such.

So what happens if you guys get your 200k healing done or your salvation medal for healing someone under 5%, or whatever other medals you guys dream up? I'll tell you what happens. I'm not going to stop doing what i'm doing. Your going to see me get the 11 I already got above, plus more. Now, because you guys were too lazy to throw out instants and AoEs to get a cpl kill medals, I'm raking in 13, 14, maybe even 15 medals on a good game, and the entire population is screaming nerf again.

So, go ahead and tell me you don't like to dmg. Tell me that's not how you want to play. Blame it on the UI or that its too much to multitask or whatever, and I'll call you bad. Its your choice to ignore playing your class completely and tunnel visioning instead.

Edited by Ottobot

You're comparing apples to oranges.

In both those examples you only have around 200k healing. I generally have between 280k - 400k healing.

Sure, I could focus on DPS more and farm more medals, but I wouldn't be helping my team as much. I made this point already in my thread. But as it is I will alter my play to heal less and DPS more. I will be more rewarded for it, even though it will hurt my team.

It's not a matter of being bad, it's a matter of wanting to win matches.

Edited by ResidentHero

Is it possible to get a decent amount of medals? Yes.

Is there a parity of effort required to farm medals on dps versus healers? No.

Are you being as helpful to your team by doing 100k damage and 200k healing compared to 25k damage and 250k healing? Not in most cases.

Does it take a considerable amount of skill to place down aoes when people are stacked up then continue to heal? No.

Does the current medal system promote and reward bad play? Clearly, or else you wouldn't have made this self-righteous post encouraging players to engage in tactics similar to yours and gimp their team in order to gain more personal rewards.

Edited by steinsgate

Does the current medal system promote and reward bad play? Clearly, or else you wouldn't have made this self-righteous post encouraging players to engage in tactics similar to yours and gimp their team in order to gain more personal rewards.

Atleast as an Operative healer you aren't "gimping" your team at all by pushing some damage. Corrosive Dart, instant cast, deals some hefty damage over time with Medicine/Lethality hybrid (since our top tier healing talents arguably are a waste in PvP anyways, and Combat Stims under Lethality bring in an excellent energy management tool).

People aren't in immediate danger of dying? Tab, Corrosive Dart, tab, Corrosive Dart, tab, Corrosive Dart. Clump of hostiles? Corrosive Grenade. It doesn't take ~any time to do that, and I can easily rack up 75k+ dmg medal, and most of the time, the 25 kill medal as well. All the while keeping people alive and kicking.

Of course there are situations where you might have to push healing non-stop, but I've yet to see more than a few games where that'd be the case. Plenty of time to kill between heals to pelt some dots in, or help kill the guy (before they deal more damage) with a few backstab/shiv/frag nades.

Edited by Youmu

So you agree then? no more medals needed?

So, You just want to have to try less to get the same reward?

Are you being as helpful to your team by doing 100k damage and 200k healing compared to 25k damage and 250k healing? Not in most cases.

Sure am. That extra 50k healing you mention? Probably wouldn't be needed because the enemy is dead.

Does it take a considerable amount of skill to place down aoes when people are stacked up then continue to heal? No.

Exactly my point. It's not hard. People need to stop asking for freebies, and just take a few globals to do what, as you say, is easy.

Pretty sure they're both wins. Welcome to the lists of bads.

People aren't in immediate danger of dying? Tab, Corrosive Dart, tab, Corrosive Dart, tab, Corrosive Dart. Clump of hostiles? Corrosive Grenade. It doesn't take ~any time to do that, and I can easily rack up 75k+ dmg medal, and most of the time, the 25 kill medal as well. All the while keeping people alive and kicking.

Of course there are situations where you might have to push healing non-stop, but I've yet to see more than a few games where that'd be the case. Plenty of time to kill between heals to pelt some dots in, or help kill the guy (before they deal more damage) with a few backstab/shiv/frag nades.

You get it! That's about all I do. Maybe a few backstabs or two. People want to make it out that reaching 75k healing will take them out of the healing game entirely. Do what she describes, I agree it really doesn't take any time, and you will stop being a part of the 2-3 medal crowd.

The problem is that the Tanking medals can be earned simply by putting up a guard, having a good healer, and sacrificing a little DPS by being in the stance that allows guards.

The healing medals, on the other hand, require healers to sacrifice DPS by specing for heals, and also sacrificing DPS by actually spending time and resources healing.

As a result, you have to be an absolute beast to get both the healing and DPS medals but not so much to get the tanking and DPS medals.

On top of all that, how do you think the DPS feels when Tanks get all of the same DPS medals they get.

Lastly, the sheer number of DPS medals makes it so that it's not rewarding to do anything that sacrifices a significant amount of DPS unless you'd otherwise be capable of doing 500k damage and can afford to sacrifice a bunch.

So you agree then? no more medals needed?

So, You just want to have to try less to get the same reward?

Sure am. That extra 50k healing you mention? Probably wouldn't be needed because the enemy is dead.

Exactly my point. It's not hard. People need to stop asking for freebies, and just take a few globals to do what, as you say, is easy.

Pretty sure they're both wins. Welcome to the lists of bads.

Does the current medal system promote and reward bad play? Clearly, or else you wouldn't have made this self-righteous post encouraging players to engage in tactics similar to yours and gimp their team or provide a marginal amoutn of benefit in order to gain more personal rewards.

5chars

Edited by steinsgate

I do around 300k healing as my 50 seer. In my pvps doing any less than 250k healing pretty much means we will lose and I do not have insta cast dmg dealing. My big dmg dealers are all channels or have a 2+ sec cast time. Which makes me doing dmg worthless. My dmg spells also do very little dmg and I have to work to get 75k+ dmg and since the imps on my server are better geared from the imbalance and all the huttball they get to play, i'm stuck doing nothing but healing to win. I'm probably the highest geared seer on my server and doing anything but healing almost guarantees my team a loss. You are only looking at this from a your class perspective and fail to realize your not the only class that heals. Edited by DontTouchMyHoHos

5chars

Restating your point does nothing for you. You claim its bad play, I say they're both wins. You just re-quote yourself saying the same thing again? Quite the rebuttal my friend. I'll tell you what, don't listen to me. Go back to the pics, see how many MVP votes I got. My team can let you know if they thought I was helping my team out or not.

P.S. - You're still bad

I do around 300k healing as my 50 seer. In my pvps doing any less than 250k healing pretty much means we will lose and I do not have insta cast dmg dealing. My big dmg dealers are all channels or have a 2+ sec cast time. Which makes me doing dmg worthless. My dmg spells also do very little dmg and I have to work to get 75k+ dmg and since the imps on my server are better geared from the imbalance and all the huttball they get to play, i'm stuck doing nothing but healing to win. I'm probably the highest geared seer on my server and doing anything but healing almost guarantees my team a loss. You are only looking at this from a your class perspective and fail to realize your not the only class that heals.

Someone with sense.

I do around 300k healing as my 50 seer. In my pvps doing any less than 250k healing pretty much means we will lose and I do not have insta cast dmg dealing. My big dmg dealers are all channels or have a 2+ sec cast time. Which makes me doing dmg worthless. My dmg spells also do very little dmg and I have to work to get 75k+ dmg and since the imps on my server are better geared from the imbalance and all the huttball they get to play, i'm stuck doing nothing but healing to win. I'm probably the highest geared seer on my server and doing anything but healing almost guarantees my team a loss. You are only looking at this from a your class perspective and fail to realize your not the only class that heals.

So how would giving healers more medals solve this problem? Class issues cannot be solved by throwing more medals at people. You'll still be getting less medals then everyone else, because all those that could do it before can still do it now.

I agree, you have sense, and are probably getting closer to the root of the problem. But re-read your own post and tell me, is it a class issue or a healer medals issue you describe, and would more healing medals actually solve it?

This.

If I'm gonna heal, I'm gonna heal. I shouldn't have to play suboptimally to get optimal rewards.

At OP, I'm glad you're able to pull it off but you really only speak for your particular class not all healers.

Restating your point does nothing for you. You claim its bad play, I say they're both wins. You just re-quote yourself saying the same thing again? Quite the rebuttal my friend. I'll tell you what, don't listen to me. Go back to the pics, see how many MVP votes I got. My team can let you know if they thought I was helping my team out or not.

P.S. - You're still bad

I love killing healers that are trying to DPS. Absolutely love it. Especially operatives.

My DPS sage not only outheals your operative, but out damages him as well. Again, as a DPS spec.

Not doing DPS is playing suboptimally.

This isnt a tunnel healing game.

I can do 100k+ dam, and 300k+ healing, why won't you? The people I group with are smart, they know when and when to not to push, they don't overextend so that I have to risk myself to heal them. They stay in range, have good awareness, and that allows me to play my class to the fullest.

lrn2play if you can't multitask.

Edited by TetraCleric

I love killing healers that are trying to DPS. Absolutely love it. Especially operatives.

My DPS sage not only outheals your operative, but out damages him as well. Again, as a DPS spec.

Operative healers are ~squishy, whether we try to DPS or not. We got a pretty crummy absorb shield that melts away instantly under focus, and the only option we are left with is either Flashbang + running away, or... running away via Cloaking Screen. You'll squash a healbot Operative as easily as you will squash a Medicine/Lethality hybrid.

The latter part probably speaks a lot about class balance, rather than has anything to do with player skill.

Edited by Youmu

Woot. Play that class. I love it when you kill me!

People complain that want to zone on health bars, and generally suck at multitasking. Here's the problem, multitaskers are good PvPers. Many of us can be heal spec, and figure out how to throw a grenade, or use an alt-modifier and have our dmg abilities still hotkeyed as well as our heals. Here are two examples of decent WZ performances I've done, as a pvp healing specced Operative:.

Stopped reading there......

it doesn't per mote good play either been playing all morning and ive gained 1lvl of valor 2wins 9 loses im rep tanking in pvp i don't get rewarded for going in and taking damage just preventing what little i can you sir don't get there's more to it then healing and dps

Woot. Play that class. I love it when you kill me!

Oh baby.

Also, BH/Trooper healers are squishy as well. At least you have options to run away, they don't.

Both Smuggler/IA and Trooper/BH are easy to kill. Sage/Sorcerer on the other hand while still very killable, take way more effort to do so.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be doing damage as a IA/Smuggler or BH/Trooper while healing. Dropping AoEs on nodes/doors or dotting people that are trying to get them is also -part of playing the game-.

Honestly when i play my healer the only gcds i use not on healing are to kick / cc / snare or help burst down a low life target, just mindlessly dpsing means yes you can do 100k and 200k healing or you could do 40k and 450-500k healing so you pick which is more important honestly.