Who is the genius that thought giving melee a 3s channeled ability was a good idea?

Ancient_karp

Seriously... I just started playing a Jedi Knight and I had to ask myself: Why on Earth would a developer give a melee class a 3s channeled ability that does more damage at the end of the ability?

Is this a sign of the level of thought that went into the creation of this game? With $millions at stake, this is just silly and thoughtless.

It's designed to be a PvE damage increase without being overly effective in PvP.

The difference between Master Strike and abilities that ONLY can be used against Normal/Strong enemies is that if you can get the channel off in PvP you get a big hit of free damage.

There are talents available that make the ability uninterruptible and that root the target when it is used.

The ability is fine. This is not the first MMO to have channeled melee attacks with backloaded damage.

Not everything in this game was designed to be a PVP skill, genius.

Before you start getting personal, have you done Hard mode Flashpoints? Mobs don't always stand there and take it AND most are immune to cc.

Second: Using the "other MMO's have had it" doesn't a good argument make. Ranged toons benefit significantly more from channeled abilities than do melee. Abilities like these highlight the inequities between the two. Original game design starts with balancing all classes that are dps focused. There is an obvious lack of balance between DPS toons in this game. It's unintentional as are the problems with mitigation and effects of damage type playing a larger role than intended.

Play a few toons to 50 (or at least 35) and draw your own opinions. I think you'll begin to see a few things that I've missed.

Edited by Ancient_karp

It's designed to be a PvE damage increase without being overly effective in PvP.

The difference between Master Strike and abilities that ONLY can be used against Normal/Strong enemies is that if you can get the channel off in PvP you get a big hit of free damage.

There are talents available that make the ability uninterruptible and that root the target when it is used.

The ability is fine. This is not the first MMO to have channeled melee attacks with backloaded damage.

If he's talking about force choke, it's a DPS loss. If he's talking about ravage/master strike, there's a discussion thread in the sith warrior forums about how it is still a dps loss.

What other MMOs have given melee immobile channeled abilities? I can't think of any good ones.

Dude you serious? That's such a cool ability. Wish I could choke people and throw them against the wall. What a serious way to ultimately punk someone. If that happened to you in real life or if you did that to someone, you would be a boss.

I loved Divine Assault way back in the day.

But you could channel that while running and just deliver an unholy beating to someone with a sledgehammer to the tune of 350% damage->healing to your defensive target.

Really, I just wanna know where the dual target system went.