drakenvold

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are talking non Star Wars:

Miyamoto Musashi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

He starts as a bully but with a heart and learns "the way of the sword" and throughout his life he evolves with every new obstacle to a better and more pure form of swordsman, the last duel in the below book with his nemesis is pure Zen!

Read the book by Eiji Yoshikawa called "Musashi" about his life, its one of the best reads ever!

Edited by Shikome

1. Luke Skywalker- enough said.

2. Cin Drallig- Master of all 6 forms, trained by Yoda, nickname "The Troll", was the jedi temple's finest swordsmen during the clone wars and was one of the only hopes in stopping Order 66.

3. Mace Windu- Invented his own lightsaber form, former grand master of the jedi order and has went up against some powerful foes.

4. Anakin/Vader- Was pretty much a jedi master in skill near the end of the clone wars, as Vader he modified his lightsaber style and whooped several jedi who were younger and more agile then him.

5. Yoda- A green mean little lightsaber wielding machine! Held his own for a good while against Sidious, and is an accomplished swordsmen.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

2. Cin Drallig- Master of all 6 forms, trained by Yoda, nickname "The Troll", was the jedi temple's finest swordsmen during the clone wars and was one of the only hopes in stopping Order 66.

Except that Anakin easily defeated Drallig and a padawan with one hand, while choking another padawan with the other. He was a competant teacher, but he wouldn't make my list when there are others like Caedus out there, and most certainly wouldn't rank above Yoda (his own tutor) or Vader.

Edited by Hrisskar

1. Luke Skywalker- enough said.

3. Mace Windu- Invented his own lightsaber form, former grand master of the jedi order and has went up against some powerful foes.

4. Anakin/Vader- Was pretty much a jedi master in skill near the end of the clone wars, as Vader he modified his lightsaber style and whooped several jedi who were younger and more agile then him.

5. Yoda- A green mean little lightsaber wielding machine! Held his own for a good while against Sidious, and is an accomplished swordsmen.

OK to start on this Luke shouldn't be on the list he was an amateur and could barely defend himself, but sure he seemed ****** in a time with no other force users. second yoda was a master of all 7 forms and known as a great swordsman . Third Anakin was possibly the weakest sith ever to exist he could only force choke people, his saber throw missed everytime, he lacked lightning completely he was slow, dumb, and on life support why is he on the list? what about exar kun, naga sadow, darth maul, count douku who they mentioned was a good swordsmen where are these kind of names?

Except that Anakin easily defeated Drallig and a padawan with one hand, while choking another padawan with the other. He was a competant teacher, but he wouldn't make my list when there are others like Caedus out there, and most certainly wouldn't rank above Yoda (his own tutor) or Vader.

This is just the a list of 5, im not ranking them as if they were better then the other its just 5 swordsmen. And that was what....a 3 seconds holo-vid? We don't know if they even had a proper fight, but as I said I'm not putting them in a ranking that is better then anyone its just a list of 5 that are great swordsmen. Besides we have NEVER seen Cin fight properly at all, for all we know he could be one hell of a duelist but we have yet to see.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

OK to start on this Luke shouldn't be on the list he was an amateur and could barely defend himself, but sure he seemed ****** in a time with no other force users. second yoda was a master of all 7 forms and known as a great swordsman . Third Anakin was possibly the weakest sith ever to exist he could only force choke people, his saber throw missed everytime, he lacked lightning completely he was slow, dumb, and on life support why is he on the list? what about exar kun, naga sadow, darth maul, count douku who they mentioned was a good swordsmen where are these kind of names?

You have obviously never read any post Return of the Jedi material. Luke is by far the most powerful force user AND duelist.

This is just the a list of 5, im not ranking them as if they were better then the other its just 5 swordsmen. And that was what....a 3 seconds holo-vid? We don't know if they even had a proper fight, but as I said I'm not putting them in a ranking that is better then anyone its just a list of 5 that are great swordsmen. Besides we have NEVER seen Cin fight properly at all, for all we know he could be one hell of a duelist but we have yet to see.

The ROTS Novel states he lasts a couple of seconds at best...and yes Anakin fighting him 1 handed while he chokes out someone else lol.

The ROTS Novel states he lasts a couple of seconds at best...and yes Anakin fighting him 1 handed while he chokes out someone else lol.

I realize that, but judging someone's fighting ability who faces the main character of a whole series of movies is a really bad judgment. Other then him fighting Anakin we haven't seen or read anything of Cin of what he can really do.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I realize that, but judging someone's fighting ability who faces the main character of a whole series of movies is a really bad judgment. Other then him fighting Anakin we haven't seen or read anything of Cin of what he can really do.

The problem with that is you can't really say one way or the other. It's just speculation. This is why when I debate I don't use my own bias but by what we know. While character A may be able to do this or that if they didn't it should be left out of the equation if you know what I mean. I know you were just giving your own opinion but most people won't share the same view because there's no facts. It's best to compare characters that we do know what they're capable of and what they've been displayed to do.

The problem with that is you can't really say one way or the other. It's just speculation. This is why when I debate I don't use my own bias but by what we know. While character A may be able to do this or that if they didn't it should be left out of the equation if you know what I mean. I know you were just giving your own opinion but most people won't share the same view because there's no facts. It's best to compare characters that we do know what they're capable of and what they've been displayed to do.

True, but I guess I was kinda going off on his bio the fact that A. He was trained by Yoda specifically in combat, B. He was one of the only hopes in stopping Order 66(assuming the others would be Yoda and Obi-Wan at the time), C. Stated that he was the finest swordsmen in the temple. Rather then some facts that would seem more clear, seems to me he was kinda a wasted character though I hope he makes an appearance in TCW I mean...they showed the jedi librarian....THE JEDI LIBRARIAN!

But again my post was now stating those 5 being the strongest of whoever, its just 5 guys.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Things like this are difficult to judge. You can't really compare most Jedi in the 1000 years or so BBY to anyone outside of that time period and vice versa. For 1000 years, Jedi didn't really get to test their skills against other saber users in serious combat.

We can say that Yoda and Windu were skilled swordsmen because of their duels with Sidious, who was known to be a skilled swordsmen, and would have had to prove himself in combat to his master to avoid being cast aside for another apprentice.

This is similar to what's pointed out about the lost tribe in FotJ. They haven't tested themselves in true combat for a millenia, so the skywalkers just cut through them like butter because they're battle tested.

Darth Bane was a skilled swordsman, but his most obvious display of skill in dueling multiple jedi masters at once deserves an asterisk, because he was virtually invulnerable to saber damage at the time. Also, his sith contemporaries at the time had dwindled in skill relative to sith of times past because of the need for troops in the battle with Hoth's Army of Light.

Luke Skywalker proved himself in battle countless times against some difficult opponents, which his father never really did.

For pure saber skill, I think any top 5 list should consider including Sidious, Caedus, Luke Skywalker, Yoda, and Mace Windu.

Keep in mind, to truly be good, you have to be tested. And the strength of your fallen opponents is the best metric for determining how good of a swordsman you are yourself.

ehm I beg to differ on your points about Luke here!

He actually defeated several saber masters (sith). He even trained himself in the ways of dual wielding sabers. he even developed a new form of lightsaber combat, this just to adapt to him becoming older and slower.

So if you are just talking about him in the movies, well he did hold his own pretty well against vader.

But if we are talking Luke Skywalker as a whole, he was probably one of the best swordsmen out there. so please do not come down on Luke, when clearly you havent done proper research!

ehm I beg to differ on your points about Luke here!

He actually defeated several saber masters (sith). He even trained himself in the ways of dual wielding sabers. he even developed a new form of lightsaber combat, this just to adapt to him becoming older and slower.

So if you are just talking about him in the movies, well he did hold his own pretty well against vader.

But if we are talking Luke Skywalker as a whole, he was probably one of the best swordsmen out there. so please do not come down on Luke, when clearly you havent done proper research!

only in non--canon sources lucas has held a policy if the name skywalker is in your book it doesn't count. if you look only at canon sources there is nothing to suggest luke would have ever been better than his father.

Things like this are difficult to judge. You can't really compare most Jedi in the 1000 years or so BBY to anyone outside of that time period and vice versa. For 1000 years, Jedi didn't really get to test their skills against other saber users in serious combat.

We can say that Yoda and Windu were skilled swordsmen because of their duels with Sidious, who was known to be a skilled swordsmen, and would have had to prove himself in combat to his master to avoid being cast aside for another apprentice.

This is similar to what's pointed out about the lost tribe in FotJ. They haven't tested themselves in true combat for a millenia, so the skywalkers just cut through them like butter because they're battle tested.

Darth Bane was a skilled swordsman, but his most obvious display of skill in dueling multiple jedi masters at once deserves an asterisk, because he was virtually invulnerable to saber damage at the time. Also, his sith contemporaries at the time had dwindled in skill relative to sith of times past because of the need for troops in the battle with Hoth's Army of Light.

Luke Skywalker proved himself in battle countless times against some difficult opponents, which his father never really did.

For pure saber skill, I think any top 5 list should consider including Sidious, Caedus, Luke Skywalker, Yoda, and Mace Windu.

Keep in mind, to truly be good, you have to be tested. And the strength of your fallen opponents is the best metric for determining how good of a swordsman you are yourself.

Vader was beyond skilled cutting down quite a few Jedi. He's also one multiple 6 vs 1 and 8 vs 1 fights. Even against multiple masters thrown in the mix. I'd say Vader has faced quite a few tough opponents. Don't forget he fought Galen Marek who was quite proficient in slaughtering Jedi masters and only barely lost to him as well.

Also Havok. You're wrong. Post ROTJ stuff is Canon.

Edited by Rhyltran

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married...":cool:

Edited by AwesomePeters

Lol the part about Vader/Anakin, you sir are a joke.

And then putting names like Darth Maul and Dooku.

Edited by Merihim

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married...":cool:

Again. That quote is taken out of context. I've posted this numerous times. If you read Lucas other commentary he states when he speaks he refers to his films. The Star Wars saga is about Darth Vader. The rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. Any other story isn't one he wrote himself. It's nothing he's interested in putting into film format. There is no story for Lucas to tell outside of the six movies because Vader is dead.

Further Lucas states that he considers both separate universes. He also claimed that when he speaks he refers to only his films. Going by this to claim that anything post ROTJ isn't canon EVERYTHING EU isn't Canon. That would include this game but that isn't true either. There's basically two sets of Canon. There's film continuity and the EU. The EU might as well be regarded as a single continuity as it has to follow film continuity to the letter.

Sources..

"I get asked all the time, 'What happens after "Return of the Jedi"?,' and there really is no answer for that," he said. "The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."

Here's more from Lucas

""Whatever it is that happens afterward," the 63-year-old filmmaker said, "that isn't the core 'Star Wars' story that I like to tell." Referring to after Return of the Jedi.

He's not really claiming that everything after ROTJ is false. What he's saying is that it isn't his story and he doesn't care to tell it. There will be no episode 7 especially not episode 7 based on EU work.

"There really isn't any story to tell there," the filmmaker said. "It's been covered in the books and video games and comic books, which are things I think are incredibly creative but that I don't really have anything to do with other than being the person who built the sandbox they're playing in."

And..

"I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions"

Edited by Rhyltran

1. Grand Master Luke Skywalker.

2. Weapon Master Mace Windu.

3. Darth Sidious.

4. Master Yoda.

5. Darth Vader.

This I agree with. Although, I may put Yoda above Sidious. Yoda was clearly better in saber combat. Sidious was just more "powerful."