Melee Classes at HUGE disadvantage

Nerfhammer

Huh? Ranged attacks a healer pewpewpew 50% hp left - healer goes behind a pillar and happily heals up, ranged is going "omg I rage!!!" and either runs in circles after healer with auto shot or has to switch.

Melee attacks a healer pewpewpew 50% HP - healer goes behind a pillar, melee: "Olol me smash, pewpewpew", healer 0% /sadface

How does it not have any effect on the discussion? Here is another, even more simple example, ranged attacks melee, melee gets behind a pillar... Circles for 10 seconds, "omgh healer came I r 100% again!! Me smash!"

Melee attacks ranged, ranged gets behind pillar... Hey I am still getting faceplanted for full damage... Ranged dies... On TS "sorry man I needed 3 more secs to heal you".

Nothing is funnier as a melee when someone tries to hide or Los just to find me having them now cornered for certain death as nobody else can help them. I love it when a range does that.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They did it because shadows and assassins would be out running everything in the game. Those are the biggest LOS issue classes. If you couldnt snare them you would have a hard time hitting them due to LOS issues. When they can run around you faster than you can turn around you got problems.

Snare is not roots. Snare is not CC. Roots, to melee, is.

LOL people like you always fail to mention that all ranged classes, including healers, have some form of stun and most likely a knockback. In any case, if a melee is beating on you why would you bother going behind a pillar?

Ranged players do it all the time. It is awesome.

Yeah, I totally play a Sorc, you are on to me... Your deduction skills are never seizing to amaze me, did you get that Sorc idea from my signature? I always knew that "bullets", rifle and 35m part would totally give my Sorc main away.

Impressive, as always, my friend.

Well, I'm off to sleep... Feel free to keep up the good work, so that I can get another laugh or two tomorrow.

I honestly don't care what you play, all I know is you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have both Melee and Ranged DPS characters and the Ranged ones do, for the most part, have more advantages. The issue is clouded by a few things:

(1) Scrapper Scoundrels and their Operative equivalents are a bit too good currently. They are lethal melee classes. Please note, not all Scoundrels are Scrappers and the other two trees are both a bit of the weak side.

(2) Gunslingers and their equivalents are a bit on the weak side, especially compared to their Scrapper cousins.

All in all, Melee DPS should do more damage than Ranged when they are in position to strike because of all the time that they aren't and because Ranged can unload their DPS at point blank range with little penalty. Yes, some melee get a little more survivability than their Ranged peers but not really enough to make up for, say, being constantly knocked into the pit in Huttball and having to spend 20s running back up with no speed boosts at all.

Ranged say they die to melees. Melees say they die to ranged.

Balance.

If everyone is complaining about other roles, the game is balanced (Rock, Paper, Scissors & all that).

If everyone is complaining about a specific spec, class, or role, the game is not balanced (See: Scrapper Scoundrels & Concealment Operatives).

Honestly, I'm a level 50 Juggernaut with 622 Expertise. I'm a good player. I have no trouble with any class in particular. Sure, if I'm up against an equally skilled player that's playing a Sage or a Sorcerer, I'm going to have some trouble. Melee I tear apart. I have sufficient damage as rage spec to hold my own. Balanced.

im sorry, but all these "nuh uh" posts are useless. not a single post that disagreed with me had any explanation as to why...yes melee classes CAN do just fine and yes if you have a healer healing you thru the snares you can still do dps...this still does not address the issue of ranged classes having an advantage over melee classes...

all of the "advice" given to me assuming im terrible at this game could be used by ranged classes the same as melee. yes a mob of melee characters will kill a group of characters that are spread out...but so will a mob of ranged characters. The fact it is a "disadvantage" is not to say they are terrible, but rather that a ranged character of equal gear and skill has an inherent advantage.

i have a 50 sage and a 50 operative. note: my operative has 25 in sawbones at all times ie. no knockdown, no 5k shoot firsts, no flechette round, no 50% armor pen

and i say...

...you are wrong.

learn to use your snares and roots. they dont have dr and are not affected by resolve. learn to play around your team not force leap away from them. learn to peel off your healers. learn to be a team player.

A lot of the range classes are pretty OP but so do mellee classes. It sucks when I am trying to kill a player with my assassin and all of a sudden a bounty hunter spams me with missiles. Either I try to kill the player I'm trying to kill or escape.

All I know is that as assassin, you have a choice where to fight. In huttball, I suggest fighting at the ramps instead in the middle. Position yourself so that when you get knocked back, you will not fall off.

Well let me start by saying I play a 50 Jug and im fully pvp geared. I wreck people when i get near them to actually do dmg. 1v1 I don't really fear anything cept for a OP/Smug. With that said I work my *** off in pvp to do what I do. It does seem that ranged don't have to try as hard to be on the same level as me. Which is fine i'm used to it melee is almost always at a disadvantage.

The only real advice I can give any melee that are having a hard time is to get better gear and get better at your class. Given equal skill and gear a range should be able to beat you 1v1, but ive come to relize is that 95% of players aren't that great in pvp.

My main is a Sith Assassin, and I have no problem closing the distance on ranged units (and killing them) as long as they're not somewhere out of reach. If they are I just break LoS and recover.

You must not be using all of your moves to their full potential or maybe you're just not that good.

Its very simple, in pseudo 1v1 scenarios. (There are always mini 1v1s going on in most team games)

Scenario 1 - Some range gets first 2 hits on you before you see him. Get out of LOS. Walk a different way. He will pick another target, heal up and go get first hit on him. Becomes even easier for a sin with force speed + stealth

Scenario 2 - You get first hit, he slows you and tries to kite. He still has to STOP AND CAST to kill you. The rest of this should become very obvious.

In any other scenario with someone else hitting you while you are slowed and kited you are ****ed. Life sucks sometimes. Make a healer friend.

Err no he doesn't.

I play ranged and I don't have to stop to cast, I can cast almost all of my abilities on the move.

My main is a Sith Assassin, and I have no problem closing the distance on ranged units (and killing them) as long as they're not somewhere out of reach. If they are I just break LoS and recover.

You must not be using all of your moves to their full potential or maybe you're just not that good.

U have cc u have steath u have range u have knockback u have vanish u have force pull uhave brust dmg sigh

Edited by Aztian

Well let me start by saying I play a 50 Jug and im fully pvp geared. I wreck people when i get near them to actually do dmg. 1v1 I don't really fear anything cept for a OP/Smug. With that said I work my *** off in pvp to do what I do. It does seem that ranged don't have to try as hard to be on the same level as me. Which is fine i'm used to it melee is almost always at a disadvantage.

The only real advice I can give any melee that are having a hard time is to get better gear and get better at your class. Given equal skill and gear a range should be able to beat you 1v1, but ive come to relize is that 95% of players aren't that great in pvp.

ranged have to work just as hard to be at the top of their game andy ou know it. you've run into bad sages that yo'uve wafflestomped into the floor with ease, and good sages who gave you a run for your money.

the only advantage a ranged player has is being able to engage at range. i can tell you however that my up and coming sage who's in her 40's gets DESTROYED by well played juggs. it's gotten to the point that my next alt will be a guardian cause..wel imp have 234q36262230479[048w0e997w97er9009r sorc each game. i wouldnt mind pushing their ***** in.

any comment that says "get a healer" can get out. that has no effect on melee or ranged having an advantage since either one would benefit from having the healer.

i never said anything about not letting ranged have stuns or knockbacks...

AGAIN. the root of this post comes from the fact that snares do not grant resolve. so to everyone posting a theoretical "this could happen" then how about this 2v2 situation. with just 2 people you could completely take a melee character out of the fight for quite a long time. take 2 snipers/gunslingers for example. 2 leg shots(10 seconds total snare) into a flash bang(8 seconds) followed by 2 leg shots(10 more seconds) which will have reset your resolve a set you up for another flash bang(8 seconds). so you have been completely taken out of the fight for 36 seconds, the enemy still had 2 knockbacks and 2 melee stuns for your teammate in a 2v1 and you were able to do nothing. but you have a cc breaker right? so that gets you out of 1 cc and doesnt protect you against any other cc. so if you break one snare they can flash bang and you sit out for at least 31 seconds or you could break the flash bang and get 2 seconds closer to them before getting hit with another leg shot.

I am going to agree with others you are just bad. You and your ridiculous hypotheticals and your inability to do anything reflects poorly on you not melee.

Snare is not roots. Snare is not CC. Roots, to melee, is.

Seriously?! No **** its not a root... why its called a snare! Snare is a CC. Crowd control. Just in case you didnt know. How does slowing your opponent not controlling? Are you not forcing that player to walk slower thus controling his actions? I think so. The fact that range can snare melee thus controlling the speed at which he runs/walks gives the range player better chance to kite. Now lets flip it shall we... The fact that melee can snare range thus controlling the speed at which he runs/walks give the melee player better chance of staying close. Not mention I could go into several real life situation to prove the point but the fact that youre playing this mmo and still spouting that nonsense tells me you wouldnt understand regardless.

You must be terrible.

A good/geared melee can wreck face.

LOL.... no not against an equally geared competent ranged player. 1 V 1 we have a decent chance. Add in group mechanics and being cc'ed/AoE roots nonstop we are useless in a group. If a ranged gets rooted/snared.. they are still doing dps.

Usually since melee isn't in dps range 50% of the time.. the game usually makes up for it by making melee do MORE dps. BUT this is not the case... AT ALL.

Edited by Blaaine