Sentinel or Guardian?

XjediXrf

I have one of each and like them both.

Guardian is best used as a tank. I have experimented with the Vigilance spec for DPS, and was not overly impressed with it; I quickly went back to Defense. With Kira as a companion, you have enough DPS to solo effectively and you're a solid tank (though some would say not as good as a Vanguard). I have heard that Focus can do good DPS but I haven't tried it.

Sentinel, on the other hand, is raw DPS. It is a challenging class to play; there is no fixed rotation for optimum DPS, it is a priority system that can become pretty complicated at high level. If you're willing to put in the time and effort to master it, however, you become a lightsaber buzzsaw of destruction. It's a lot of fun to play.

I have one of each and like them both.

Guardian is best used as a tank. I have experimented with the Vigilance spec for DPS, and was not overly impressed with it; I quickly went back to Defense. With Kira as a companion, you have enough DPS to solo effectively and you're a solid tank (though some would say not as good as a Vanguard). I have heard that Focus can do good DPS but I haven't tried it.

Sentinel, on the other hand, is raw DPS. It is a challenging class to play; there is no fixed rotation for optimum DPS, it is a priority system that can become pretty complicated at high level. If you're willing to put in the time and effort to master it, however, you become a lightsaber buzzsaw of destruction. It's a lot of fun to play.

From what you said,Guardian sounds better.I enjoyed Tanking in WoW,and I`m not one for Complication.

Edited by XjediXrf
Puncuation

if your not one for complication i wouldnt roll either then haha guardian and sentinel are a very close 1st and 2nd for hardest classes to play in the game. that being said if you get used to juggling all your abilities I find guardian far more rewarding in pvp and a hell of a tank in pve despite what haters say.

if your not one for complication i wouldnt roll either then haha guardian and sentinel are a very close 1st and 2nd for hardest classes to play in the game. that being said if you get used to juggling all your abilities I find guardian far more rewarding in pvp and a hell of a tank in pve despite what haters say.[/quote/]

Thanks for the info.Its all so clear to me now

if your not one for complication i wouldnt roll either then haha guardian and sentinel are a very close 1st and 2nd for hardest classes to play in the game. that being said if you get used to juggling all your abilities I find guardian far more rewarding in pvp and a hell of a tank in pve despite what haters say.[/quote/]

Thanks for the info.Its all so clear to me now[/quote/]

Sorry about the doulble post.:o

Edited by XjediXrf

Actually what everyone said is true. Playing a guardian or sentinel is extremely challenging due to no set rotation, a huge amount of skills (I have all 4 quick bars filled and use close to everyone of them) and they're all on the most random CD's.

That's not to say they're not fun, I enjoy the heck out of my 50 Guardian and played my friends Marauder once (Imp Sentinel) and found it as confusing as the guardian. Takes a very keen mind and quick reflexes to play but is every bit as viable in their role as any of the other classes when played right.

If you don't want a very big challenge though I wouldn't go for either. Trooper is indeed the easy mode compared to Jedi Knight (which I have also played).

Just realized I need to start going out more...

Actually what everyone said is true. Playing a guardian or sentinel is extremely challenging due to no set rotation, a huge amount of skills (I have all 4 quick bars filled and use close to everyone of them) and they're all on the most random CD's.

That's not to say they're not fun, I enjoy the heck out of my 50 Guardian and played my friends Marauder once (Imp Sentinel) and found it as confusing as the guardian. Takes a very keen mind and quick reflexes to play but is every bit as viable in their role as any of the other classes when played right.

If you don't want a very big challenge though I wouldn't go for either. Trooper is indeed the easy mode compared to Jedi Knight (which I have also played).

Just realized I need to start going out more...

If its a LOT of abiities,I`m all for it.I like to have something for every occasion

Can someone tell me the advantages if the two?They both look pretty Bad***

Depends on what you plan on doing. After giving this a lot of consideration (playing a sent up to 50), for PvP I would say go Guardian. They have a lot of the same features and do almost as much DPS as a sentinel, but have a much higher survival rating. Sentinel is just simply to soft once their damage mitigation buffs are on cool-down.

For PvE go with what ever you like, but Guardian is a nice option if you aren't sure if you want to Tank. You will always have the option in the future, where sentinel you will not.

Edited by Freygrin

I have a 50 Vig spec'd JG and a mid level Marauder and honestly I don't find the class all that complicated. Especially the JG.

Granted, I do use gaming peripherals (steelseries merc stealth keyboard/razer naga mouse) and I'm sure that plays a large part in it.

The JG is pretty stupidly easy to DPS with if you ask me and honestly I feel their damage is pretty damn good (far, FAR undervalued. I would go so far as to say a properly geared/spec'd/played Vig Guard competes for top DPS every time in fights that aren't anti-melee if we had a way to empirically track it).

PvP is another animal altogether. Focus is alright, if gimmicky, and we are exceptionally good at huttball, but mechanically I feel clunky when chasing after all those Sorcs and Mercs.

guardians do as much dps as sents, but get the heavy armor protection and a knockback.

IMO sents have no place in the game yet

Nonsense.

Heavy armor is no big deal.

Guardians get a Knockback?

What about Sentinels get

diverse Speedbuffs,

In Combat Stealth for 4 secs,

99% damage reduce for 5 secs,

+15% damage/heal for the whole group,

incoming Heal debuff,

self resetting 20% damage reduce which deals damage on top

And the list goes on depending on spec.

Sentinels have more killing Power and Survivability than offensively specced Guardians.

Edited by Sabredance

I have to respectfully disagree. Mostly because though what you say is logically and factually true. In game it just doesnt work that way, yes they have a power that gives them 99 percent damage reduction but it costs 50 percent health to cast i believe. Whereas the gaurdian can takes its defensive stance recieve half his armour rating on top of what he already has, reduce damage taken and generate focus by taking damage. What does that cost to him? The 6% damage increase of using the other form is all i can see.

what the sentinal needs is a push pull mechanic imho. Im not saying any of the classes are bad or op its all gunna come down to so many other variables but i do think the sentinal needs to be looked at slightly. The commando i think it is, seems to have the best of all worlds as it stands heavy armour, push, pull, cc, high damage but bioware will make sure everything works out im sure.

Unless that 99% Dmg reduction is on a short cool down the knight has much better reduction.

99% for 5 seconds and it cost you half your health

Vs.

100% for 2 sec followed by 50% for 10 sec. Cost nothing...plus...

40% for 12 seconds (longer with set bonus) cost nothing..plus..

20% health increase for ...wanna say 12 seconds..cost nothing

I'll take the tank cool downs please.

(those durations might not be exact. I'm not in game.)

If Sents actually got force powers like throw lightsaber, force push and force pull I might be able to make up my mind about which I wanted to play and unpark my character from in front of the advanced trainer on fleet.

Until then I will wait until the devs decide to make my Knight a Jedi.

From what you said,Guardian sounds better.I enjoyed Tanking in WoW,and I`m not one for Complication.

I enjoy mastering complication if there is a reward for doing so, but presently there really isn't. As a sentinel, you must master the added complexity to merely be on a par (and competetive) with the other, simpler classes. So while they are doing simple 1,2,3 rotations in PvP you are mastering multiple abilities, which, while more fun than simple button mashing, means you need to be at least twice as skilled to perform only just as good (more or lesS).

I also get that, if I were given a reward as a sentinel for mastering the added complexity, it would put the simpler classes at a disadvantage. That hardly seems fair to them. Either way, far ir not, this issue detracts from class balance. The thing is, though, playing a sentinel is a lot of fun when you get the hang of it. Getting the hang of it (mastering the increased learning curve), however, does not make you better than the other classes by any means.

Also, before you decide between guardian and sentinel, you really need to compare the specs. Based on what you have written about not caring for complexity and a preference for tanking, I would urge you to go guardian. Sentinels have no tanks specs, for starters. On the other hand, if you want to go DPS, then it just depends on your preferred play style. I think, however, you should avoid sentinel-combat spec, as success with that spec is very dependent on mastering the ability to quickly manage multiple abilities that will not work predictably/reliably in a rotation. Many abilities are situational in nature (require a successful block/parry, for example) but work well if you pull them off. Simple it isn't, but it is fun when ability delay isn't screwing you over.

If Sents actually got force powers like throw lightsaber, force push and force pull I might be able to make up my mind about which I wanted to play and unpark my character from in front of the advanced trainer on fleet.

Until then I will wait until the devs decide to make my Knight a Jedi.

Sents have two saber throws... one of which is brutal.

Also to the points above this poster about how awesome camouflage is, it is junk. I use it in PvP sure, but 4 seconds isn't enough time other than to get people to deselect you. There is no escape here... it is only good for deagroing and breaking enemies targeting. This ability needs to be bumped up to at least 10 seconds if not 20.

Edited by Freygrin

Unless that 99% Dmg reduction is on a short cool down the knight has much better reduction.

99% for 5 seconds and it cost you half your health

Vs.

100% for 2 sec followed by 50% for 10 sec. Cost nothing...plus...

40% for 12 seconds (longer with set bonus) cost nothing..plus..

20% health increase for ...wanna say 12 seconds..cost nothing

I'll take the tank cool downs please.

(those durations might not be exact. I'm not in game.)

DPS Guardians don't enjoy the survivability you seem to think they have.

A Vigilance spec Guardian gets Saber Ward, Enure and a 4 second, 20% damage reduction after Force Leap.

A Focus spec Guardian gets Saber Ward and Enure.

Sentinels, regardless of what skill tree they sink their points into, get Saber Ward, Rebuke, Force Camouflage and Guarded by the Force. I play both Sentinel and Guardian, and without a doubt, my Sentinel has more survivability than my Focus-spec Guardian (so long as my CD's are available, of course). Obviously heavy armour plays a factor, but it doesn't provide as much protection as some people may think.

If I sink my points into the Defence tree, then yeah, I'm a pillar of stone. Unfortunately, I also hit like a pillow.

Edited by nokizaru

I have to respectfully disagree. Mostly because though what you say is logically and factually true. In game it just doesnt work that way, yes they have a power that gives them 99 percent damage reduction but it costs 50 percent health to cast i believe.

That's why it's best used when already close to death - 5 seconds of all-out Sentinel damage can make a significant difference to the outcome of the fight.

Whereas the gaurdian can takes its defensive stance recieve half his armour rating on top of what he already has, reduce damage taken and generate focus by taking damage. What does that cost to him? The 6% damage increase of using the other form is all i can see.

By switching to Soresu stance, the Focus Guardian also loses his CD reduction to force abilities and 20% armour penetration.

what the sentinal needs is a push pull mechanic imho. Im not saying any of the classes are bad or op its all gunna come down to so many other variables but i do think the sentinal needs to be looked at slightly.

The funny thing is, you won't find many top-end Sentinels/Marauders complaining about their abilities. The class is very much like the Shadow/Assassin - a lot of the players out there aren't utilising their class skills to full potential, and are mistakenly blaming the class mechanics for any frustrations they're experiencing.

Can someone tell me the advantages if the two?They both look pretty Bad***

If you're looking at DPS in a PvP environment, a well-played Sentinel has superior single-target DPS, whereas a Focus spec Guardian has the edge with aoe damage.

Heavy armor, by itself, just adds an extra 5-10% more absorption vs kinetic/energy damage. Rebuke more than nullifies this advantage when it's up. Advantage = Sents.

But in pvp, a good part of the damage you have to worry about is internal/elemental which all but ignores armor (and shields).

Vigilance Guardians get an extra 4% damage nullified at the top of its tree which is actually pretty good if you're a def/vigi soresu spec.

Both classes have their merits; there's a lot of complaining about how the Sent is inferior especially in PVP but that's a non issue, it's only a matter of time until they are buffed and totally dominate, then get nerfed again and so it goes. For me the biggest decider was simply the feel of both, the Guardian can tank and their DPS makes me think of Arms Warriors: complex priority system, reliance on a cast/channeled ability, minor but important dots and a relatively small amount of really hard smacking attacks. The Sent is faster with greater mobility since they don't use Master Strike with larger amount of weaker hits. Not that I mean they use less or more abilities in their rotations just the animations and feel of the abilities make the Guardian look/feel more like Luke hammering down on Vader at the end of ROTJ while the Sent feels much more agile and acrobatic more like the fights from the prequels. At least that is my experience thus far and it is almost entirely just how they feel to me. Edited by Tekzerand