How is this game doing now numbers wise?

Nebbycat

There's no harm in knowing I guess. A reason some one would want to know is if they hope it will go F2P if numbers drop. Another reason may be the 'cool' factor. People like doing things everyone else is.

Personally.. the only reason I'd want to know is (not that I do) for bragging rights ;):D And coz I want BW to succeed.

so far I only see 2 servers "full" with queue times anymore.

still plenty of heavy ones, lots of standard, and about 4 light.

This isnt saying much given their server population cap seems to be about half what other MMOs are. 500ish on both sides seems to be "heavy" apparently.

Hate to mention it but when I picked a wow server I wanted HEAVY population and ran wow census until I found one with approx 1200 ONLINE on BOTH sides to play. 2400 people online on one server.....

My server is HEAVY. usually about 300 on imperial fleet, 100 on dromund kaas, 50ish in tatooine / alderan, maybe 75ish peak, and 25ish in the higher level places. not even close to what a server should have. They needed less servers and higher population caps, I say they need to merge and merge now before it too late.

edit* should mention, cut those numbers by about half for republic side, never seen over 160 people in that fleet XD

Edited by Chiltonium

Don't bother looking at Heavy, Standard or Light tags for servers. Bioware have adjusted what constitutes "heavy" in the past and we don't really know how "heavy" is "heavy".

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/ is one site that tracks players that are on during any given time, but you have to keep in mind that the site does not track the actual number of subscribers (which is a higher number).

There's been a drop of active players, but the exact numbers are not known by anyone other than Bioware.

They increased sever population caps 4 fold since launch. That said most servers are pretty full.

Here is facts from VGCHARTZ on sales. -- the game sold 2 million PHYSCIAL, disk copies of the game as of Jan 14th -- that number does not include digital copies.

WoW's last expansion in NA and Euro -- to date it has sold 2.9 million copies -- As of its

4th week of sales it had sold less than SWTOR.

SWTOR is officially the fastest selling MMO game or expansion in history, as of week 4. In terms of speed of sales outselling the former leader WoW cataclysm by 15%, in the north american and Eureopean markets in the 4 week sales history.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/

SWTOR is now the fastest selling, and second most selling MMO game in history. Outselling in its 4 weeks sales speed wise, RIFT WaR AoC combined.

How many players are staying subscribed? That is hard to say. But WoW only sold 2.9 million copies with its last expansion in NA and Europe, and it took them a year+ to do it. SWTOR a new game in 4 weeks has almost caught up in terms of poplarity in NA / Euro market. It may even be more popular that WoW in NA and Europe at this point considering WoW lost 1.3 million subscribers last year, many in North America and Europe.

I hope this helps. The statistics of VGCHARTZ, are the most accurate numbers in the industry, Despite being unable to track digitial sales. They do a very good job of tracking Physcial sales.

Just as an aside, there were 40 people on Tython - the Jedi starting area - at 1am this morning on my EU side server.

I found that quite surprising as it's not hard to out lvl the starting areas, so took it as good news given the game's been out a month.

Away from that, around 100 in the fleet - which is what it's been since launch. The end of the free month has had no impact so far.

WZ queues popped regularly, even at 1am when I played a final round before logging.

Server is Starstorm One.

Numbers up or down? Still alot of heavy/very heavy/full servers at peak hours? Any word on the % of players that stayed after the free month? Still over a million subs?

No one knows the exact numbers, but the servers I play on still hit heavy+ at peak hours.

Don't bother looking at Heavy, Standard or Light tags for servers. Bioware have adjusted what constitutes "heavy" in the past and we don't really know how "heavy" is "heavy".

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/ is one site that tracks players that are on during any given time, but you have to keep in mind that the site does not track the actual number of subscribers (which is a higher number).

There's been a drop of active players, but the exact numbers are not known by anyone other than Bioware.

Those stats are taken directly from the server-status page. If you say don't bother looking at Heavy, Standard or Light tags, then you can disregard everything from the site you linked also.

Explanation HERE

Edited by Mandrax

Wow fastest selling MMO of all time. Very nice :) Out selling WoW is a serious accomplishment.

Not really, considering how before WoW a "big" MMO was pushing something like ~500,000 players. WoW quadrupled that for the western markets (North America and Europe) and ever since then, it's not really hard for an MMO with a decent advertising campaign to sell a million copies. WAR and AoC both accomplished it before SWTOR. If the game doesn't retain those numbers, it's a meaningless achievement.

Edited by marshalleck

Not really, considering how before WoW a "big" MMO was pushing something like ~500,000 players. WoW quadrupled that for the western markets (North America and Europe) and ever since then, it's not really hard for an MMO with a decent advertising campaign to sell a million copies. WAR and AoC both accomplished it before SWTOR. If the game doesn't retain those numbers, it's an meaningless achievement.

Did you not read the article? SWTOR outsold war aoc and rift COMBINED.

Then maybe you should have remarked about TOR outselling those games, instead of talking about outselling WoW. And yes, I did read the article.

Hello genius lol. I was talking about they outsold WoW's latest expansion in a month and WoW has had a year. Man maybe you should try reading more and attacking less lol.

Just as an aside, there were 40 people on Tython - the Jedi starting area - at 1am this morning on my EU side server.

I found that quite surprising as it's not hard to out lvl the starting areas, so took it as good news given the game's been out a month.

Away from that, around 100 in the fleet - which is what it's been since launch. The end of the free month has had no impact so far.

WZ queues popped regularly, even at 1am when I played a final round before logging.

Server is Starstorm One.

To be fair, in many cases, that'll probably players starting over with a new class, or maybe assisting RL friends who they've chivvied into getting the game.

Hello genius lol. I was talking about they outsold WoW's latest expansion in a month and WoW has had a year. Man maybe you should try reading more and attacking less lol.

Except they haven't outsold WoW's Cataclysm. Speaking of reading comprehension, the article cited "speed of sales" which, as I said earlier, is only interesting depending on how many of those players are retained.

Except they haven't outsold WoW's Cataclysm. Speaking of reading comprehension, the article cited "speed of sales" which, as I said earlier, is only interesting depending on how many of those players are retained.

Again yes they did. They sold almost 3 times what WoW did the first month. Please again read the article before trying to comment on it.

A huge proportion of those sales were pre-orders. Again, many MMOs these days can post big numbers in the first few weeks. Hardly an interesting figure.

Let's also go ahead and ignore the implicit fail in comparing sales of a full game to a mere expansion.

Edited by marshalleck

A huge proportion of those sales were pre-orders. Again, many MMOs these days can post big numbers in the first few weeks. Hardly an interesting figure.

Exactly. Others have had huge numbers of sales.. and then they flop and go F2P.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.