The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

@BioWare - Suggestions to Improve Republic Appeal / Faction Balance

Sagarys

10) The Republic needs a more edgy and appealing, rebellious Jedi "Face" for the faction to draw new players -- Satele isn't cutting it (making this one green because it is fairly popular as well): Someone in this thread (TheRealDestian on page 3) suggested that the Republic needed a renegade Jedi to represent them. Then he went on to describe a cinematic. This got me thinking. Currently, with the exception of Satele, the Jedi Order is full of a bunch of no-name, generic "Masters" who you hardly ever see and certainly aren't cool enough to make anyone want to join the Republic. Heck, even Satele is only one step above these guys. What the Republic really needs is a bad-@ss, smart-@ss, rugged, rebellious Jedi to star in some cinematics to make the Republic look more awesome. Think something like Anakin from the Clone Wars, or Starkiller from Force Unleashed (when you play him light side), or Dash Rendar with a lightsaber -- or perhaps all three smashed into one. This will be a character that plays by his own rules, skirts the line between light and dark, but is 100% loyal to the Jedi Order and to the Republic. As the poster mentioned, the Order doesn't necessarily approve of his tactics, but they tend to overlook them as they ultimately get results. A character like this will help battle the "Good is Dumb" attitude that many players have and will serve to draw more players to the Republic by his sheer awesomeness. I think a more edgy, aggressive character like this will help dispel the sissy pacifistic stigma that the Republic has somehow ended up with.

I agree with everything you just said, except for this one point!

Now, I don't disagree that us Republicans could use someone more exciting, but I don't like the sound of the idea presented. Just me being nit-picky mostly. Maybe it's just me, but I would like a Jedi who follows the Jedi Code down to a tee. I really don't want someone who "skirts the line between Light and Dark"! That's not very Jedi like, I think. But, call me crazy, that's just my two cents.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything you just said, except for this one point!

Now, I don't disagree that us Republicans could use someone more exciting, but I don't like the sound of the idea presented. Just me being nit-picky mostly. Maybe it's just me, but I would like a Jedi who follows the Jedi Code down to a tee. I really don't want someone who "skirts the line between Light and Dark"! That's not very Jedi like, I think. But, call me crazy, that's just my two cents.

I think following the code to a tee results in an extraordinarily boring Jedi, unless that Jedi does amazing things and is utterly dismissive of the sith as any kind of threat.

3) Not every Jedi wears a brown hooded robe: The amount of variety that the Empire has in terms of gear compared to the Republic is absurd. They have many more aesthetic options to choose from, and most of them are MUCH cooler and MUCH more intricate than the Republic's options. The next time the gear design team sits down to create some Jedi gear, they may want to look at some pictures of the armor Obi Wan wears in the Clone Wars or the outfit Anakin wears. Heck, even Luke in the Return of the Jedi had some sweet black gear. Just remember this -- when someone who isn't super-versed in Star Wars looks at a picture of the Jedi Knight PvP gear (the Samurai) then looks at the Sith Juggernaut PvP or PvE gear (the massive cyborg mech thing), most people are going to pick the Sith. If the aesthetics are their only concern, the Republic is doomed.

Chap, from the Empire side of the fence I'm jealous of many of the Republics outfits! There's a few great light armour sets in the 20-30 range which are in white with what looks like brocade detailing on them. I want those for my Sith Sorceress*, but I can't have them as they 'mutate' into 'boring' Sith gear. Matter of opinion of course, but I hear your cry and wish they'd allowed the outfits to cross-over from one faction to another. Think we'd both be happy then.

*She's light side, you see, and quite determined to be different to other Sith. Be nice to walk into a Cantina dressed in white whilst everyone else is in black.

I think following the code to a tee results in an extraordinarily boring Jedi, unless that Jedi does amazing things and is utterly dismissive of the sith as any kind of threat.

Eh, I don't think following the code to a tee makes a boring Jedi. I just think we need a more exciting personality, really. I always thought of Yoda as a Jedi who followed the code in its entirety (I could be wrong about that -- I'm not all knowing in Star Wars lore) and he's a pretty exciting character, I think.

i hate the appearance of the republic gear and i think it would be a good idea to have a system like the transmogrification thing in world of warcraft and i do hate that game but its a good system to have good gear and look ****** while doing so:cool: like that, so reply to this if you like the idea of adding that into the game and if you dont know the transmogrification thing is look it up

The transmo-thingamabobber system is a little weird lol im not sure exactly how WoW implemented and used it, nor do i think it appropriate for this game, but while were on the subject, if a system like that were to ever be used, LOTRO's cosmetic gear system was by far the best ive tried yet. I however believe that the best thing to do would be too add more armors to the game, and listen to what the subscribers want for future design.

Eh, I don't think following the code to a tee makes a boring Jedi. I just think we need a more exciting personality, really. I always thought of Yoda as a Jedi who followed the code in its entirety (I could be wrong about that -- I'm not all knowing in Star Wars lore) and he's a pretty exciting character, I think.

It's not that it makes for a boring character, it just has a very boring facade without a great deal of character building, and unfortunately when people are making their decisions based off 1 and 2 minute snippets (trailers) of these characters, you aren't really going to have the opportunity to portray that character as being as interesting as they may really be.

Edited by Sagarys

10) The Republic needs a more edgy and appealing, rebellious Jedi "Face" for the faction to draw new players -- Satele isn't cutting it (making this one green because it is fairly popular as well): Someone in this thread (TheRealDestian on page 3) suggested that the Republic needed a renegade Jedi to represent them. Then he went on to describe a cinematic. This got me thinking. Currently, with the exception of Satele, the Jedi Order is full of a bunch of no-name, generic "Masters" who you hardly ever see and certainly aren't cool enough to make anyone want to join the Republic. Heck, even Satele is only one step above these guys. What the Republic really needs is a bad-@ss, smart-@ss, rugged, rebellious Jedi to star in some cinematics to make the Republic look more awesome. Think something like Anakin from the Clone Wars, or Starkiller from Force Unleashed (when you play him light side), or Dash Rendar with a lightsaber -- or perhaps all three smashed into one. This will be a character that plays by his own rules, skirts the line between light and dark, but is 100% loyal to the Jedi Order and to the Republic. As the poster mentioned, the Order doesn't necessarily approve of his tactics, but they tend to overlook them as they ultimately get results. A character like this will help battle the "Good is Dumb" attitude that many players have and will serve to draw more players to the Republic by his sheer awesomeness. I think a more edgy, aggressive character like this will help dispel the sissy pacifistic stigma that the Republic has somehow ended up with.

I don't know if anyone has drawn attention to this already ( seems like a lot of pages and it's getting late :p ), but the problem with this relates to your problem with the Jedi dialogue. My consular is approaching nar shadaa (so I know I dont have tons ofd experience with story) but from what Ive seen the dark side options look really well....dark.

I mean on tython, with the lovers, and the padawans that wanted to push on even though their friend was injured. I felt forced to make a choice. But then as soon as you get to coruscant it becomes : accept bribe, accept bribe, wrongfully acuse, kill, accept bribe. There's no: should I ? Shouldn't I? There's no, is this right for the republic, right for me? Which one is more important?

I think, at least from what I have seen so far, a lot of people will be drawn to grey jedi by an awesome character, and be disapointed because it's either : ME DO GOOD or: ME EVIL.

As an added kick in the teethy, there are no kudos for staying grey, you lose out on LS/DS gear, and there's no grey gear so you're stuck. The only benefit to staying neutral is so that you can use different lightsabre crystals :( .

It's not that it makes for a boring character, it just has a very boring facade without a great deal of character building, and unfortunately when people are making their decisions based off 1 and 2 minute snippets (trailers) of these characters, you aren't really going to have the opportunity to portray that character as being as interesting as they may really be.

That's a fair point. I suppose if you're going to judge each faction by the characters in the trailers, then sure, you need some exciting characters on both sides. I will say, however, from the Return trailer I found myself really liking Satele's master. I knew absolutely nothing about him, not even his name, yet I found myself really drawn to his character. Personally, I think we need more characters like him. But, again, that's just my own opinion.

yes i suppose the republic could use a something to make it more appealing. I honestly made a jedi becuase nothing feels better then owning and evil sith as a jedi. a sith killing jedi isnt as awesome because i feel its overpowered. for a jedi to own a sith is just awesome

That's a fair point. I suppose if you're going to judge each faction by the characters in the trailers, then sure, you need some exciting characters on both sides. I will say, however, from the Return trailer I found myself really liking Satele's master. I knew absolutely nothing about him, not even his name, yet I found myself really drawn to his character. Personally, I think we need more characters like him. But, again, that's just my own opinion.

I agree 100% with this. But, what happens to him? He gets killed by two equally awesome Sith. His death was cool, yeah, but he still died. Sith killing Jedi in droves just gives the Republic a psychological smudge. My whole point is that I want the average person who is buying this game based off the media BioWare has provided them to be able to pick their side without being swayed by what they've seen. Some people are going to play whatever they want regardless of what they see (i.e. myself, I'm diehard Republic), but to those sheeple that are easily swayed, the Empire are just more appealing in the currently available media. Most people just want to be "bad@ss" and that really isn't the way the Republic is portrayed. Does the Republic itself have to change? No. It can still be just as do-gooder-y as it is now. The only difference is that there could be someone a bit more edgy representing the side to the public.

I agree 100% with this. But, what happens to him? He gets killed by two equally awesome Sith. His death was cool, yeah, but he still died. Sith killing Jedi in droves just gives the Republic a psychological smudge. My whole point is that I want the average person who is buying this game based off the media BioWare has provided them to be able to pick their side without being swayed by what they've seen. Some people are going to play whatever they want regardless of what they see (i.e. myself, I'm diehard Republic), but to those sheeple that are easily swayed, the Empire are just more appealing in the currently available media. Most people just want to be "bad@ss" and that really isn't the way the Republic is portrayed. Does the Republic itself have to change? No. It can still be just as do-gooder-y as it is now. The only difference is that there could be someone a bit more edgy representing the side to the public.

Alright, that's definitely a fair point and I see where you're coming from. I too am I a diehard Republican (I just can't be a meanie!) so I guess I was a little biased in our favor.

Anyways, let's just pretend that a new trailer was released, this time showcasing a victory for the Republic. Specifically a Jedi (or a few) owning a bunch of Sith. Do you think that would provide some extra appeal for the Republic? Enough so to help balance things out? Of course, I wouldn't expect a new trailer to completely fix everything (after all, the OP listed a number of reasons the Republic isn't quite as appealing), but do you think it would help?

Alright, that's definitely a fair point and I see where you're coming from. I too am I a diehard Republican (I just can't be a meanie!) so I guess I was a little biased in our favor.

Anyways, let's just pretend that a new trailer was released, this time showcasing a victory for the Republic. Specifically a Jedi (or a few) owning a bunch of Sith. Do you think that would provide some extra appeal for the Republic? Enough so to help balance things out? Of course, I wouldn't expect a new trailer to completely fix everything (after all, the OP listed a number of reasons the Republic isn't quite as appealing), but do you think it would help?

I can't say with 100% certainty that it would help, but I can safely say that it definitely would not hurt. The trailer where Satele goes to town on that Sith lord (can't remember if it's Malgus or not) is pretty awesome. There needs to be more out there like that!

yes i suppose the republic could use a something to make it more appealing. I honestly made a jedi becuase nothing feels better then owning and evil sith as a jedi. a sith killing jedi isnt as awesome because i feel its overpowered. for a jedi to own a sith is just awesome

wait what? how is a sith killing a jedi overpowered?

I think one of the main issues here is that we've all had loads of opportunities to play a jedi in various games, but we've rarely been presented with the opportunity to play a sith or a bounty hunter. I personally started as empire partially because I just wanted to learn more about the life of a sith. We've barely been given any information at all about them. They're mysterious, and therefore more desirable.

I can't say with 100% certainty that it would help, but I can safely say that it definitely would not hurt. The trailer where Satele goes to town on that Sith lord (can't remember if it's Malgus or not) is pretty awesome. There needs to be more out there like that!

It's him. Malgus is featured in every trailer and it shows his progression from being whole (Returned) to being more machine than man (Deceived). I personally think he's just as boring as Satele. He's every bit her equal in the "I've been made specifically to fit my role" sense. She's selfless and righteous. Boring. He's evil and malicious. Boring.

Give us some leaders that skirt the line between good and evil. Gray characters are always more interesting than black or white.

Edited by VicSkimmr

I think one of the main issues here is that we've all had loads of opportunities to play a jedi in various games, but we've rarely been presented with the opportunity to play a sith or a bounty hunter. I personally started as empire partially because I just wanted to learn more about the life of a sith. We've barely been given any information at all about them. They're mysterious, and therefore more desirable.

You beat me to it! I was on my way back here to say that! :p

Now, on a serious note, I think that's a good point. Almost every Star Wars game out there has you pitted against the Sith or the Empire or what have you. Point is you almost always play from the side of the Galactic Republic (There are a few notable exceptions, but the majority of Star Wars games out there are this way). Now enters The Old Republic. A game that lets you play a Sith lord! Well, fancy that! That right there is instant appeal. Quite frankly, that's hard to compete with. Not saying that's a bad thing or anything (it's actually pretty cool!), but it certainly doesn't help keep both factions balanced.

I've always been hopeful that, over time, the factions will slowly come to reach a more natural equilibrium. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part, but I think it will happen after the game has been out for a while. How long do I think it will take? No idea. I just hope it happens.

To be honest I'll probably end up playing republic characters more than empire characters just because I like being the underdog. The only reason I haven't so far is that I'm planning on making them all (ok, most of them) alien species, so I don't want to put the time in now just to have to re-roll them later.

Smuggler - Human

Trooper - dunno

Jedi Knight - Togruta (or rodian, please)

Jedi Consular - Nautolan hopefully

Very good suggestions. The Reps need to get rid of that goody two-shoes look. It's totally turning players away.

As a Rep Smuggler, a gunslinger to be more precise, I hope that I actually get to see other gunslingers running around one day. :D

Edited by MilkPudding

re 1) Humor seems to be missing from the game , I don't remember me laughing in this game very often. The Dialogue in this game is always so dead serious and dry.

I agree. They should add some humor to the game. Changing the main character story would be a pain by now but at least in future companion dialogues or in some of the side quests some laughable lines would be great.