Legacy System Faction Betrayals

Mormack

Teal Deer down at the bottom

Lets face it, one of the staples of Star Wars is the betrayals of former friends and allies. Anakin/Vader being the most prolific example with others like Count Doku being in there too.

We've seen that they are possibly opening up races in the legacy system, but I'd like to go one step further.

Every Sith has a chance to Redeem himself/herself. Revan does, Vader Does, etc.

Every Jedi can fall to the Dark Side. Revan and Vader are again the most prolific examples.

Every Smuggler and Bounty Hunter has a Price.

Every Commando and Agent could have a reason to Defect.

Some people want to play these classes but cannot due to the faction their friends are playing on, and some people would like to change sides due to storyline purposes or their guild is going there or something.

So here's my proposal. With the legacy system, after a certain legacy level (Not sure on what level....These ideas can be filled in later), Any Character lvl 25 or above will have a long quest chain unlocked to use. This Chain would be a Class specific chain that dealt with your descent into the Darkside or your eventual Defection to the Republic.

Upon completing those quests, you would then have become a traitor to your faction and joined the other faction.

In this system, I would do the following

Force Sensitive Characters: Do they become Fallen Jedi/Redeemed Sith or Do they fully embrace the ways of the light/Dark sides? This is something that I'm torn on, but ultimately could see there being a choice there.

Non-Force Sensitive Characters:

Imperial Agent > Republic Agent

Republic Trooper > Imperial Trooper

Smuggler Stays smuggler

Bounty Hunter Stays Bounty Hunter

the reasoning behind Smuggler and Bounty hunter is because the fundamental difference in their jobs while the Troopers and Agents could have a similar job on both sides of the fence.

This would open up a world of fun to people who like to Role Play along with people who may like the aesthetics of one class to the other but prefer the aesthetics of the faction they are not on.

Would also make a way for guilds to change sides in a way that makes sense.

It would also have the side effect of opening up races you don't see on either side and more "Alien scum" for the Empire. ;)

Of course, there would be a cooldown for this quest chain and no one character could complete it more than, just for argument's sake, lets say once a month.

This could be a fun system and one that the game's lore would definitely support. (Trooper story is ripe for this kinda stuff for example) This is also something that would not effect Class balance and would allow a fun breathing world where treachery and treason is right around the corner.

TL:DR: Open up faction betrayals for PvP and cool factor purposes through legacy system

Edited by Mormack

Teal Deer down at the bottom

Lets face it, one of the staples of Star Wars is the betrayals of former friends and allies. Anakin/Vader being the most prolific example with others like Count Doku being in there too.

We've seen that they are possibly opening up races in the legacy system, but I'd like to go one step further.

Every Sith has a chance to Redeem himself/herself. Revan does, Vader Does, etc.

Every Jedi can fall to the Dark Side. Revan and Vader are again the most prolific examples.

Every Smuggler and Bounty Hunter has a Price.

Every Commando and Agent could have a reason to Defect.

Some people want to play these classes but cannot due to the faction their friends are playing on, and some people would like to change sides due to storyline purposes or their guild is going there or something.

So here's my proposal. With the legacy system, after a certain legacy level (Not sure on what level....These ideas can be filled in later), Any Character lvl 25 or above will have a long quest chain unlocked to use. This Chain would be a Class specific chain that dealt with your descent into the Darkside or your eventual Defection to the Republic.

Upon completing those quests, you would then have become a traitor to your faction and joined the other faction.

In this system, I would do the following

Force Sensitive Characters: Do they become Fallen Jedi/Redeemed Sith or Do they fully embrace the ways of the light/Dark sides? This is something that I'm torn on, but ultimately could see there being a choice there.

Non-Force Sensitive Characters:

Imperial Agent > Republic Agent

Republic Trooper > Imperial Trooper

Smuggler Stays smuggler

Bounty Hunter Stays Bounty Hunter

the reasoning behind Smuggler and Bounty hunter is because the fundamental difference in their jobs while the Troopers and Agents could have a similar job on both sides of the fence.

This would open up a world of fun to people who like to Role Play along with people who may like the aesthetics of one class to the other but prefer the aesthetics of the faction they are not on.

Would also make a way for guilds to change sides in a way that makes sense.

It would also have the side effect of opening up races you don't see on either side and more "Alien scum" for the Empire. ;)

Of course, there would be a cooldown for this quest chain and no one character could complete it more than, just for argument's sake, lets say once a month.

This could be a fun system and one that the game's lore would definitely support. (Trooper story is ripe for this kinda stuff for example) This is also something that would not effect Class balance and would allow a fun breathing world where treachery and treason is right around the corner.

TL:DR: Open up faction betrayals for PvP and cool factor purposes through legacy system

Its not as easy as flipping a switch and saying your now working for thoughts guys instead of these guys. You have to rework dialogs add options/reactions to every dialog the can interact with. Then their is the writing of their new class storyline and introducing new characters and elements for that entire story. This isn't like other mmos were factions can be simply crossed over. Each class is a story adding new options means adding new stories. That is a lot of work in developing. Might be an option one day but I don't see it for awhile just to much work involved.

How would you handle leveling & class quests after the faction change? There are 16 voice actors & actresses, but only half of them do the voice work on a given faction. Once you have changed factions, your character no longer has a voice. To have voice work in side quests, it would double the vocal workload of those 16 actors & actresses.

What will happen with the class quest after the changeover? Will there need to be 2 separate class quests, one for pre-change and one for post-change? Will the player who changes faction forever lose out on class quests? What about when new content comes out that continue the main class quest?

I think a better way to approach this would be to have the "faction change" only apply in PvP. An Empire character will fight alongside Republic players. Perhaps as incentive, players who switch factions to help out the less-numbered side could get a small bonus to Valour gain.

In open world PvP, Empire players who have switched sides will appear as Republic aligned to other players. This would help out with the population imbalance. The exception to cross-faction alignment will be the safe zones. Empire players flagged as Republic will remain safe in an Empire base, but not a Republic base. This is so the flag doesn't break questing or get killed once they change faction alignments.

sounds like a nice idea, but you got something wrong:

Republic Trooper = Imperial Bounty Hunter

Republic Smuggler = Imperial Agent.

You got those mixed up :p

I didn't get them mixed up

I know that's the mirror Class it wouldn't make sense for a Trooper to just randomly become a bounty hunter because he defected...He would still be in the military so he would still be a Trooper...Just an Imperial Trooper. Same with a Smuggler, agent and Bounty Hunter.

and I know its a lot of work. I never mentioned I wanted it now but this is for suggestions. I don't care if this is an expac feature...It would still be a cool feature down the road.

This might could work if it was limited to characters that had either reached 50 or had finished all of their story line quest. That would eliminate the need to rework the class quest lines for opposite sides. This would also give additional gameplay for lvl 50's that wanted to change sides by doing the epic Betrayl quest line.

This might could work if it was limited to characters that had either reached 50 or had finished all of their story line quest. That would eliminate the need to rework the class quest lines for opposite sides. This would also give additional gameplay for lvl 50's that wanted to change sides by doing the epic Betrayl quest line.

I agree. And it could be very interesting!

Not this thread again. This is not happening. Not now, not ever. Even if they introduce class swap, you will go Trooper > Bounty Hunter. Not Rep Trooper > Imp Trooper. What's more is that because of the stories each class has, it doubt they'll ever introduce class swaps.

Not this thread again. This is not happening. Not now, not ever. Even if they introduce class swap, you will go Trooper > Bounty Hunter. Not Rep Trooper > Imp Trooper. What's more is that because of the stories each class has, it doubt they'll ever introduce class swaps.

there's not much story needed if you only can swap at max lvl

Edited by Fentz

nobody said anything about swapping classes. Its about swapping factions and i for one am in favor of it happening. Properly implemented of course and only at max level.

nobody said anything about swapping classes. Its about swapping factions and i for one am in favor of it happening. Properly implemented of course and only at max level.

How about when an expansion comes out that raises the level cap and extends the class quest?

There are already 8 unique voice-acted class quests. Adding a branch where players can choose between 2 permanent story choices would double the work load and reduce the amount of content players would get to experience. I want to see Bioware put more work into creating better stories for the class quests instead of diluting it by doubling the amount of class quest writing they need to do. Then you need to take into account players who don't like their new faction and want to go back.

From a technical aspect, going from Imperial Agent to Republic Smuggler isn't much different than going from Bounty Hunter to Sith Inquisitor. You have voice work to change, playable races change, voice work changes, codex entries change when going cross faction, story line is reset, companions change, player's ship changes (except between Jedi and between Sith), and equipment can change (Smuggler & Agent ACs have differences in their primary or secondary weapons). Without handling these changes, you make it so that the only way characters can be "perfect" would be to start in the opposing faction first to get their stuff, and then switch sides.

Each faction has many unique things for it, and it wouldn't be fair to players who stuck with their faction if traitors got access to things they didn't. If Bioware/LucasArts wanted red-skinned Sith & Chiss fighting for the Republic, they would have made the option available at character creation.

There are many reasons to oppose full faction change, and very few to support it.

It isn't going to do anything to help server imbalance. You won't have many Empire players defecting to an empty Republic faction. Instead you'll have many Republic players defecting to the bigger faction.

The biggest problem with this suggestion would be needing to have entirely separate storylines implemented for every class that revolves around their defection to the other side.

For example:

A Sith Warrior that just defected to the Republic would probably not be trusted by the Jedi enough to put him on the mission to take down the Emperor (which a Jedi Knight had to do a lot of heroic things before they decided to include them).