We want Arenas in SWTOR!

Lucies

Arenas in WoW are retarded. That point is clear. Nobody said that bioware has to copy WoW though. I would really enjoy having oportunity to complete in arena, but i wouldn't like it if fighting in arena would be only way to get decent PvP gear(WoW). Players who want to participate should have the opportunity, people who don't should not be penalized by worse gear. Why not implement 1v1, 2v2 arena system just for the thrill of seeing your name in ladder?

/signed, arena doesn't has to be like WoW arena

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those people annoy me too... In all honesty, arena should not be about gear. The gear should be as easy/hard to get as the war-zone gear.

I think rated warzones should give the same gear as rated arenas. They would both be better rewards for higher difficulty.

You don't expect PVE gear to be the same from a normal mode as it would a hardmode do you?

1. Arenas = an unlimited amount of nerf QQ, I've seen enough crying on this forum to last until 2.0

2. BW will spend more money implementing patches to keep the QQ to a minimum, than what they'd make out of people subscribing to play arena.

3. Where there's arenas there's elitist no lifers that if not spamming the forums with QQ will likely spend the day trolling in /1. We all know this to be true.

This guy hit it right on the head.

Like I have said many many times, I am not against arena, I am against arena giving super quality gear that you have to attain to be able to do even a wz/bg. Arena style play is fine if you want a team deathmatch style fight. But don't tell me you deserve some kind of special gear just because you went in and pole humped for an hour.

No thanks, arenas are a bad idea in MMORPGs, blizzard even admited it was a mistake.

Besides, it's a waste of development time to make something only a small percentage will actually ever use.

Edited by NasherUK

Actually, what destroyed WoW was forcing people to arena for the best PvP gear.

If people want arenas, give them arenas. Give them a ladder, give them rankings, give them titles. If you want to get nuts, go ahead and give the top players mounts. Make it a BIG mount that people can see from a half zone away.

Just don't give them gear, and arenas are just fine with me.

Agreed

Lol, NOBODY on this thread that is against arena has given a good reason, or even correct reason. There are tons of assumptions going around that are just wrong and really Arena does not hinder PvP in any fashion.

"Arena destroys MMORPGs"...uhh no it doesn't. An "Arena" is just the idea that players battle to the death xVx (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc). It is NOTHING MORE THAN THAT, so stop assuming it is and saying no. Just be smart about it and it'll be fine, like most people have said, don't force players to do Arena. Just let Arena be another way to get valor/commendations other than Warzones. Let it be another option among several that equally give you an opportunity to PvP.

"Stop copying WoW". This is the dumbest thing I keep hearing people say. WoW is the most successful game ever, ever, evar, period. They have the most experience with do's and dont's for MMOs. BW is definitely going to copy everything GOOD about WoW, and learn from WoW's mistakes. WoW was a good game and made a gajillion dollars, which is realistically what this is all about. BW should be taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge that is WoW and improving upon it. To go a completely separate direction would be retarded.

The goal of BW is to appeal to the most amount of players simultaneously, therefore gaining the most amount of subscribers and making the most amount of money. It is for that reason that Arena WILL BE implemented at some point. I doubt it will be much like WoW's version, but it will be some sort of Arena system.

Additionally, if ANY MMO wants to be successful for an extended period of time, they have to implement a ladder type arena system. The reason for this is PvE has an "end". You beat the last boss of the last operation, and you pretty much "finished" the game. Additionally, that only appeals to a portion of a player base. PvP and arena add a human element, which makes each match "different" and unique, thus giving a different experience each round, and as such a "never ending" game. This random human element and the idea of competition is much more of an appeal to a player. The issue here is that "baddie" players get discouraged and won't want to play anymore. Thus the trick becomes making a system that appeals to both "good" and "bad" players (or "hardcore" and "Casual" players) so that everyone is happy. To NOT have an Arena system would pretty much doom this game at an early stage. My guess would be that they milk it for what it's worth and then release Arena when it's dying or to compete against a competitor's release (like GW2).

/signed

Edited by Notannos
rude comments

Lol, NOBODY on this thread that is against arena has given a good reason, or even correct reason. There are tons of assumptions going around that are just wrong and really Arena does not hinder PvP in any fashion.

"Arena destroys MMORPGs"...uhh no it doesn't. An "Arena" is just the idea that players battle to the death xVx (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc). It is NOTHING MORE THAN THAT, so stop assuming it is and saying no. Just be smart about it and it'll be fine, like most people have said, don't force players to do Arena. Just let Arena be another way to get valor/commendations other than Warzones. Let it be another option among several that equally give you an opportunity to PvP.

"Stop copying WoW". This is the dumbest thing I keep hearing people say. WoW is the most successful game ever, ever, evar, period. They have the most experience with do's and dont's for MMOs. BW is definitely going to copy everything GOOD about WoW, and learn from WoW's mistakes. WoW was a good game and made a gajillion dollars, which is realistically what this is all about. BW should be taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge that is WoW and improving upon it. To go a completely separate direction would be retarded.

The goal of BW is to appeal to the most amount of players simultaneously, therefore gaining the most amount of subscribers and making the most amount of money. It is for that reason that Arena WILL BE implemented at some point. I doubt it will be much like WoW's version, but it will be some sort of Arena system.

Additionally, if ANY MMO wants to be successful for an extended period of time, they have to implement a ladder type arena system. The reason for this is PvE has an "end". You beat the last boss of the last operation, and you pretty much "finished" the game. Additionally, that only appeals to a portion of a player base. PvP and arena add a human element, which makes each match "different" and unique, thus giving a different experience each round, and as such a "never ending" game. This random human element and the idea of competition is much more of an appeal to a player. The issue here is that "baddie" players get discouraged and won't want to play anymore. Thus the trick becomes making a system that appeals to both "good" and "bad" players (or "hardcore" and "Casual" players) so that everyone is happy. To NOT have an Arena system would pretty much doom this game at an early stage. My guess would be that they milk it for what it's worth and then release Arena when it's dying or to compete against a competitor's release (like GW2).

tl;dr

All of you against Arena are A) idiots B) selfish C) making assumptions that aren't true and basically BW MUST create Arena EVENTUALLY to succeed.

/signed

Actually only 1 mmo has ever implemented an arena type system. WoW UO DAOC EQ EQ2, DDO, just to name a few never implemented an arena style system. UO was one of the biggest successes of its time. DAOC has a special place in most hardcore pvp player's hearts. EQ and EQ 2 still are up and running. DDO is the most successfull F2P mmo to date. So honestly no to be successfull you don't have to have an arena style system. Now am I against arena, no, infact I enjoy them untill they become gear fests. I fought in many arena style fights in my guilds in all those games.

Give people arena if they want it, however do not balance the game around it, do not give special gear rewards for it (titles and mounts are totally ok) And do not assume that you need to have an arena style system to be successfull. Only one successfull MMO has even implemented it and they said they did it horribly, and would undo it if they could.

The only way I can see it working in TOR is the fact it would be easier to balance since both sides have the same classes for the most part with the same abilities.

Wow arenas were a balancing nightmare and even blizz said arenas were one of the worst development decisions they ever made.

Would probably work here if done right so I guess it could work.

Granted this thread is 17 pages long but I just wanted to address this if no one else did.

I hate it when people take that statement out of context, they said they regret implementing it WHEN they did (in BC) as there was way more balancing issues, they do not regret implementing it, and it was one of the best things to happen to WoW. No offense intended by this, but about the only people that didn't enjoy arena were the people that were bad at it.

This guy hit it right on the head.

I think people enjoy arena because your individual play has more impact on the outcome of the match. I love the warzones but i cant have the same impact (both positive and negative) on a warzone that i can have on a 3v3 match.

I think people enjoy arena because your individual play has more impact on the outcome of the match. I love the warzones but i cant have the same impact (both positive and negative) on a warzone that i can have on a 3v3 match.

Yeah, and i can see why some people want to have more of an impact on the fight. But that comes from large scale pvp.

Yeah, and i can see why some people want to have more of an impact on the fight. But that comes from large scale pvp.

Plus with arena i get to choose exactly who i am running with... If someone is terrible i can remove them from the team or leave the team.

When i do warzones i am stuck with the guy running in the wrong direction or farming kills instead of trying to accomplish the goal...

love your idiotic assumption go back under your bridge troll.

Protip: just because you're bad in PvP don't make a fool of others that want arena. You can always chose not to arena and stick to Ilum.

Like your sig says, adapt or die.

Have a nice day, troll.

Protip: just because you're bad in PvP don't make a fool of others that want arena. You can always chose not to arena and stick to Ilum.

Like your sig says, adapt or die.

Have a nice day, troll.

protip just because you have an iq less than 50 don't assume everyone who is against something is just bad at it. I did pretty well in arena, not multiglad by any means but 2200+ every season that I decided to play in. I did not enjoy arena, but only because of the gear implementation. Death match pvp is actually fun when its optional, not forced on me to do any other form of pvp.

How about we have arena's but make them even better.

They are even smaller like a foot square.

Only 2 people can go in.

They win by PURE EXTREEM SKILL!

The computer then sends out electric shocks killing them both at their pcs!

**** UBER!

/arenas suk

BIG OPEN WORLD PVP WITH CONSEQUENCES 4TW.

This game needs giant open world pvp objectives with no rewards... just for the hell of it... ok wait you can earn titles that do nothing... except let people know how awesometastic you are.

Edited by VoidJustice

Actually only 1 mmo has ever implemented an arena type system. WoW UO DAOC EQ EQ2, DDO, just to name a few never implemented an arena style system. UO was one of the biggest successes of its time. DAOC has a special place in most hardcore pvp player's hearts. EQ and EQ 2 still are up and running. DDO is the most successfull F2P mmo to date. So honestly no to be successfull you don't have to have an arena style system. Now am I against arena, no, infact I enjoy them untill they become gear fests. I fought in many arena style fights in my guilds in all those games.

Give people arena if they want it, however do not balance the game around it, do not give special gear rewards for it (titles and mounts are totally ok) And do not assume that you need to have an arena style system to be successfull. Only one successfull MMO has even implemented it and they said they did it horribly, and would undo it if they could.

By successful I mean long term and worth the time and money put into it. Successful meaning millions of subscribers for several years. EQ and UO were successful ONLY due to their pioneer status. EQ2 was a failure. DDO wasn't successful in comparison. DAOC was good because RvR worked, and it was the only PvP available. Additionally it was amongst the first MMOs to implement PvP.

Also WoW did implement an Arena style system i'm not sure why you added that to the list. In today's day in age with new MMOs coming out monthly, you cannot succeed on story alone. There's a reason PvP didn't exist in MMOs, and now every MMO has it.

As was said above, you are MISQUOTING WoW. They don't regret implementing Arena, that's just wrong. They only regretted the timing of it. Arena was the best thing that happened to WoW and is among the most influential contribution to WoW's success. Arena is the sole reason that ~40% of their player base still plays that game.

Basically you have your facts wrong, please do you research before quoting falsities.