IM tired of BH Heat getting me killed

FoE_Reddmann

The bounty hunters heat builds too fast and it gets me killed ALOT. It needs to be taken out of the game, period, or have some extremely major fix to where it does not build so fast. I go 0 to 100 heat with just a few attacks and it's ridiculous. It is so upsetting that playing bounty hunter so way to hard sometimes. The thing that also pi55es me off the most is the fact at the third time you die, it takes 10 damm minutes to play again. What really makes me steam the most is having to repair my armor all the time do to all the dying I do because of this heat crap, IT'S TOO DAMM EXPENSIVE. This crap needs to be FIXED ,but, I am not worried they fix things pretty quick in this game ,so, I hope they fix this soon.

The bounty hunters heat builds too fast and it gets me killed ALOT. It needs to be taken out of the game, period, or have some extremely major fix to where it does not build so fast. I go 0 to 100 heat with just a few attacks and it's ridiculous. It is so upsetting that playing bounty hunter so way to hard sometimes. The thing that also pi55es me off the most is the fact at the third time you die, it takes 10 damm minutes to play again. What really makes me steam the most is having to repair my armor all the time do to all the dying I do because of this heat crap, IT'S TOO DAMM EXPENSIVE. This crap needs to be FIXED ,but, I am not worried they fix things pretty quick in this game ,so, I hope they fix this soon.

....Try using rapid shots on occasion.

Managing your resource... you sir are doing it wrong. :)

if you are going from 0 to 100 in a few abilities... you are using the wrong ability for the circumstance or simple using the wrong ability/abilities. The only spec as a BH that is rediculous on its heat is pyro... and even that spec can be more then managed to do rediculous output over a extended period of time... considering I play pyro in both pve and pvp and am able to find the balance in both, I don't see your statement as valid.

You have to realise that you must use rapid shots to filler your rotation to stop bottoming out. The way the heat resource is designed... the most efficent flow of abilities stems from staying in heat level 1 as much as possible (and using rapid shots when nessisary to achieve this) excluding when heat dump CDs are availible.

Yes, you are definitely doing something wrong. I can do a 4 minute fight with a "Champion" and only use Vent Heat once. Check your rotation, and your skill tree and make sure you are spec'ed right and not using the highest heat attacks all the time.

The only time I use vent heat in a battle is with a champion. Filler with rapid shot like everyones saying. I will typically (level 29) use flame burst, flamethrower, rocket punch, rapid shot (3 times) then go back to flame burst and flamethrower. I will build heat but slowly. Also I typically use death from above first before anything if I can.

Maybe they can just implement an 'I win' button. You press it and instantly advance to 50th level in the class of your choice. All enemies defeated and storyline complete. You promptly bed Satele Shan and Darth Malgus fetches you mint julips on the veranda afterwards and tells you how awesome you are.

I've played sawbones to 50, sith warrior vengeance jugg to 43, and BH merc pyro to 40. BH is, by far, the most likely to survive combat of the three.

The heat management takes some adjustment and getting used to, but every class has some sort of limitation that takes some getting used to.

Take a look at the other class forums. Most of them are whining about how underpowered they are and how they need to be 'fixed'.

You do need to use most of the skills your character learns, not just endlessly spam one button (unless of course youre an arsenal merc, from what I've heard they just bend over and shoot tracer missles at everything).

Edited by Kelfred

I dont get all the complaining about teh heat system... It is identical to the energy system but instead of counting down it counts up...

Just dont be dumb you cant spam all your abilities at once keep it under 40% to get the fasted regen.

Edited by Faloma

You're all not being very useful. This is a case of someone who has not discovered how the Heat system works, and lets be honest, the game is not clear about it.

On the other hand you, the original poster, have a few guides on top of these forums.

Check them.

Read the part about the Heat and rotations more carefully.

As a teaser let me say that your Heat will decrease more slowly the more Heat you have. so try to keep it at around 30-40.

How? Well, I don't know your level but I'm 18 at the moment. I open with Unload. Unload takes three seconds to finish and during that time it is regenerating Heat, so by the time it is done you have pretty much lost all the Heat it cost to use. It is Heat free skill so use whenever you can.

Then I spam Power Shot 3x. With the talent Muzzle Fluting by then my Heat is at around 25-30-ish. Then I use Rapid Shots (our free auto-attack) to give time for Heat to dissipate. Then I do two more Power Shot.

By then it is all just a matter of keeping an eye on your Heat and use your skills accordingly for that magic 30-40 Heat mark. If you pass it by a little bit don't fret, just use Rapid Shots a few times. If you borked then use Vent Heat.

The higher you go up the more talents you get that reduce the cost of your abilities or that will make Heat vent faster (the talent Terminal Velocity) or get better skills (Tracer Missile) and the easier to manage your heat becomes.

Probably not the class for you. It's not hard to manage. You should not go over 40 heat in almost any situation. Heat management is part of the class and this does not go away at endgame. If anything, it requires more management.

If you're leveling Pyro, the heat management is not great, tbh.

I find that heat is a terrible resource system for those "oh crap" moments, like when a patrol walks in on you or enemies respawn on top of you. It needs to be managed and kept below a certain level at all times, and when you really need to be able to pump out the damage or risk dying, it's bound to screw you over.

In any other situation where you're in control it works just fine, however.

My hands down favourite resource system has to be the Assassin/Shadow force bar, though. Steady regen beats the heck out of degrading regen any day.

The only problem with Heat is that it's harder to manage than alot of resource systems out there, and is not very forgiving. You mess up a little bit and you'll be doing 5 Rapid Shots in a row while you wait for your Tortoise-like heat degen.

It is similar in concept to the resource Focus for Hunters in WoW, but Hunter's have a consistent regen of Focus no matter how much they have left, and shots that regen it.

I think Bioware needs to give Bounty Hunters at least one more Heat reducing ability so we can really manage it better. Vent Heat and Thermal Sensor Override just aren't enough. Maybe one more cooldown that makes all abilities cost half heat for 10-15 secs.

Or perhaps make a shot on a 6-10 sec cooldown that actually USES some of your built up heat to be fired, say an 8 heat reduction.

I think the fear here is that a BH unchecked and allowed to spam abilites would simply do too much dps. I'm already able to spam the crap out of a boss/champion at the start until Heat is full, and then pop Vent Heat and pretend it never happened. Combinining that with another CD that let's you have tremendous burst at the start might imbalance us.

You can do tracer missile/powershot-rapid-tracer-rapid-tracer-rapid for eternity and never gain any heat. Every tree has not only a way to vent heat but most contain an upgrade to the actual Vent Heat ability as well. I really never find it to be a problem unless I try to just go all out and DFA/flamthrower/unload/tracer spam to burn something down asap. I kind of like how its not the same old boring mana/energy bar that most classes have. Also there is an ability like last poster described, Heat Blast or something? The 31pt ability in shield tree.

Relair outlined it perfectly: if you weave Rapid Shots into your rotation, you can fire every ability on your toolbar forever and never gain significant heat.

If you just fire away with everything as fast as you can, simply put, you're doing it wrong.

Heat management is remarkably simple if you bother to do it at all. I think, from reading posts here and watching other Mercs I've grouped with, that most people either don't understand how to weave shots to manage their heat, or don't bother.

It's easy once you figure it out. It does take a calm demeanor and a little bit of paying attention, but I don't find it hinders my gameplay at all, and I tend to play as aggressively as possible, striving to put out as much damage or healing as possible during the timeframe of the encounter I'm involved in.

Wow an FoE member not understanding game mechanics, have they dropped the bar on admittance into the guild?

The more heat you build up the slower it dissipates so don't let it get to 100! You have attacks that don't generate heat so try to add some to your rotation or are you a past SWG sniper that only knew headshot? As a arsenal merc I must say I never have heat issues.

As many others here have mentioned... the heat system is very simple to use once you understand how it works. And the UI is very useful to show how.

I should also mention I LOVE the heat system. It is fantastic and I would HATE to see it changed much.

As for managing a simple guidance would be to do a rapid shot every 3rd or 4th shot. But for better managment what you should do is down by your heat bar there are four >>>>

When four are lit up >>>> high heat recovery

When three are lit >>> medum heat recovery

Two >> low heat recovery

One > lowest heat recovery

Your goal when playing is to never enter low or lowest heat recovery unless vent heat is off cooldown (and you plan to use it).

So what you do is as you cycle through your abilities, if you hit >>> meium heat recovery you need to rapid shot till back in high heat recovery.

As for a rotation... pyro rotation is roughly as follows:

Thermal Detonater or Exploading Dart > Incendiary Missle > Railshot > Unload > (free railshot if poped) Rapid shot > Rapid shot Fusion Missle > Repeate enterire sequence.

It gets more complex as you get more abilities but that will keep your heat low and your damge quite high.

The only time I find myself hating the system is in PvP, mainly when trying to burst down a healer (I'm a powertech). Having to use so many abilities in a short time is pretty deadly and weaving rapid shots isn't viable since it doesn't do enough damage or pressure to keep them low during their heals.

But otherwise in any other situation it works for me. Just takes a bit to get used to.

One thing I've learnt from death due to overheating, is to control my hormones.

It's actually fun as well , to be alert and learn how to rotate your fun fighting abilities.

It also teaches me to be in control, coz in my real life, that's something I need working on lol.

Also, pick and choose your abilities on your hotbar a bit, some generate a lot of heat without doing much more than Rapid Shots (basic attacks).

ex. Missile Blast is nice early on when your lacking in abilities but quickly becomes a waste of time and heat - Triggers GCD and generates 25 Heat (the only reason to use it would be that its instant and can be fired moving - the weak splash damage is a joke and mainly just breaks CC while Rapid Shots does almost as much damage, has no splash and can be used moving, jumping and whatnot for NO heat.)

Also look at the heat costs of your abilities to figure out what can be frequently and what can't (Sweeping Blasters for instance Can't be used frequently despite lack of CD because the 33 Heat it generates - you can fire 3 to cap your heat and the damage is a lot less that Death From Above but useful if you need that extra AoE damage).