The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ion cell Vs Plasma Cell for pvp.

SirSparhawk

Plasma cell has it's advantages- namely, you have a spammable snare and reliable DoT to mess with people, and it's key for chaining High Impact Bolts.

If you're going primary Assault, Plasma Cell. If you're more Shield/Tactics, Ion Cell will be more likely your friend.

So what Ive been hearing is Ion cell helps u take a ton of damage while still being able to dish out alot and that with incenidary round u wont need plasma cell so ion cell is the way to go, and if u spec into ion overload while wearing a shield your stockstrikes proc it every time and you get 20% absorbtion every stockstrike.

What about high energy cell?

Ion cell does no where NEAR the damage of plasma in pvp. Not even close.

Many attacks in pvp cant be shielded, and many attacks ignore armor.

The only thing ion cell is really good for is the 5% flat dmg reduction, and the ability to guard, which is amazingly good.

Main reason for using Ion for me is for Guard. So many times I guard someone getting focused and he lives on to fight another day with some help from friendly healers.

In my tiny head I feel like a hero and it gives our side a big advantage with having less people respawning.

I really wish more tanks would guard people and taunt in warzones. Sure you lower the DPS you do but get over your own ego and look at it from a team perspective and you would win a lot more games I reckon. This is of course depending on the team setup and stuff but more guard = more win.

I'm a tactics/assault hybrid spec. I usually start with ion and switch to plasma as needed.

I use ion to guard healers and stay alive longer, but i switch to plasma for 1v1 kiting or stopping caps with the fire dot.

+1

An example would be Voidstar. When attacking, I use Ion Cell to guard healers. When defending I use Plasma Cell because of the DoT to make it harder for the other team to plant the bomb.

Actually I say most people that, so valled, roll face in PVP including myself is using plasma cell.

The on demand snare, not to mention the damage is just much higher.

Ion Cell is great for survivability however.

If you run with a healer in a 2 man tag team, definately spec some in shield and use ion cell, to survive better, and you are unable to guard in anyother stance but ion cell. And guarding and switching stance removes the guard.

For a solo roaming build in warzomes, or an assist build, assault or tactics as primary works fine.

You take less damage but your damage is much higher, but generally evens out as per survival ratio compared to shield.

Since shield mechanics is not working great in PVP, but mitigation does work decently, there is a reason many choose to not go shield.

Personally I think that if you have a good armor, then ion cell is well worth it together with an offhand shield. But keep your armor to a dps armor, just use a shield and some talents for it.

23 shield, and 18 assault or 18 tactics are rather nice specs.

• 2 weeks later...

to each their own, but I have done a ton better in PvP as assault spec over the tactics spec. I ran tactics from 10-50, always wishing I had a little more "killability" and with assault, I feel like I do. If I am medal harvesting, I will roll ion cell with guard to get the medals for that, then switch over to plasma for some dps medals.

Going assault and using both ion and plasma when appropriate has totally rejuvenated my love of vanguard.

but again, to each their own :)

I tried assault this week with low success (I didn't have good gear for it) but the bonus damage from plasma cell is not to be overlooked. I was still able to get protection points via taunting, and while it's not as protective as a guard AND taunting, it allows you to keep up the dps while the other team hopelessly focuses your healer with melee attacks (our abilites love the groups that stick together, even if that group is moving). Plus there are some times when you get queued with 5 tanks, and everyone's competing for guards.

I think there's a lot to be said for being able to switch between ion cell and plasma cell, but don't get too worried if switching won't fit into your play style or spec.

Currently I am a 38 vanguard and I run a 2/2/25 spec and use ion cell.... Unfortunately you must sacrifice 3 talent point for this build due to not using plasme cell. I was running a full assault PCell spec and it was great dmg but averaged 5 medals and my survivability wasn't the best. I find that using ion gives me much greater survivability, didnt effect my damage out much at all and gives me average of 9/10 medals a game. Being that I am still leveling and trying to get my valor ranks (currently 31) I find this to be the much better solution to cell usage...

Not to mention (though no number crunching has occured) I FEEL as though those pesky operatives and scoundrels dont hit me nearly as hard since the respec...

Anyhow the just of it seems to be how much utility you want to have:

Ion cell: utility

Plasma: dmg

I find that the 3k High impact bolts combined with the extra 600 from the ion cell can be a nice burst dmg set up.

And those who say u need burning targets for HiB well you have incendiary round still so make use of it!!!!!!!

If I need to protect a node and im dying I just IR all the people at the node and ride/run back to it before the dot falls off of them so it works out fine for me.

Just my 2 cents on the subject :)

P.S. I do run with a gunnery commando around my level most of the time but the ion cell works even when hes not around :)

Plasma cell has it's advantages- namely, you have a spammable snare and reliable DoT to mess with people, and it's key for chaining High Impact Bolts.

If you're going primary Assault, Plasma Cell. If you're more Shield/Tactics, Ion Cell will be more likely your friend.

Spammable snare????

I rolled shield for the longest time, but I switched to Assault for some variety and I'm liking it. Use your AoE taunt when you see groups of 3 or more clustered, and use your single taunt all the time and you will stick rack up the medals for 2.5K, 5K and 10K protection easily enough. You lose out on guard easy mode protection medals, but you still get them.

Losing guard and the 5% damage reduction, you get the spam snare that comes with talented ion pulse and plasma cell. More damage, more snares, higher crits, and better DoTs for holding nodes.

I really miss storm though.

to each their own, but I have done a ton better in PvP as assault spec over the tactics spec. I ran tactics from 10-50, always wishing I had a little more "killability" and with assault, I feel like I do. If I am medal harvesting, I will roll ion cell with guard to get the medals for that, then switch over to plasma for some dps medals.

Going assault and using both ion and plasma when appropriate has totally rejuvenated my love of vanguard.

but again, to each their own :)

Taunt still works with Assault spec.

Also the reduce cooldown on CC and harpoon can potentially helps just as much in protecting your healer - cryo grenade/neural surge is enough to give a few seconds for your teammates to regain distance, and as assault you can probably burn them down in that same few seconds (and snare them around horribly).

I rolled shield for the longest time, but I switched to Assault for some variety and I'm liking it. Use your AoE taunt when you see groups of 3 or more clustered, and use your single taunt all the time and you will stick rack up the medals for 2.5K, 5K and 10K protection easily enough. You lose out on guard easy mode protection medals, but you still get them.

Losing guard and the 5% damage reduction, you get the spam snare that comes with talented ion pulse and plasma cell. More damage, more snares, higher crits, and better DoTs for holding nodes.

I really miss storm though.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

plasma = way more damage

ion cell = guard & survivability, usually coupled with storm for better movement/interrupt/root too

Edited by ururururu