The Travel System Is Severely Hurting The Gameplay!

Landara

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Keep it open. Telling people to fix their PCs or get new hardware is absolutely not a solution to the multiple loading screens and random annoyances you have to do to get anywhere in this game.

Sorry, just trying to help, this worked for me. My loads are less than 4 seconds easy. I guess we dont want a fix we just want something to cry about?

I like the current travel system its more realistic. People have gotten spoiled by super fast travel in games, I remember early days of SWG and long shuttle waits. I remember early days of Everquest and long runs to get anywhere plus spire wait times.

Fast travel times took the realism and some of the socialization out of games.

No, just keep complaining and they will change it.

actually i don't think they will.

past correlation with what another game developers did in another game does not mean this games one will make the same concessions.

this game, from a certain pov, is almost exactly a copy of TBC WoW in terms of what game systems are actually in place....and its from that point on that most people who comment on such things would assert Blizzard started screwing up WoW...

imo that's no coincidence and entirely deliberate.

i don't think they have any intention of making the same mistakes.

they might make their own but the game reeks of a deliberate roll back to to TBC era WoW-ish-ness and the desire to do things differently from that point on.

Edited by Sleekit

I swear to god I'm literally repeating the same post over and over. SCENE TRANSITIONS. Star Wars uses them to cut out boring bits of the story. Why doesn't TOR?

Because TOR is a game and Star Wars is a movie. You're behaving like your argument is the silver bullet in this post, and anyone who disagrees with it is simply not understanding your brilliant rhetoric.

I will admit that certain travel times can drag on (lvl 50, been there done that), but comparing two completely different mediums is preposterous. In movies you are watching someone, in games you are being someone. So we didn't watch Luke spend 5 minutes in Spaceports because he was an NPC ;)

If you wanna play WoW, go play it. Leave SWTOR alone. Its this way for a reason.

No...it's this way because of bad design. A great game can still have bad design choices. This isn't a slam on Bioware, it's simply a fact. This middle-step of the orbital station does nothing for the lore or the fun factor of the game. It's a time sink, pure and simple and it is a bad design element in TOR.

actually i don't think they will.

past correlation with what another game developers did in another game does not mean this games one will make the same concessions.

this game, from a certain pov, is almost exactly a copy of TBC WoW in terms of what game systems are actually in place....and its from that point on that most people who comment on such things would assert Blizzard started screwing up WoW...

imo that's no coincidence and entirely deliberate.

i don't think they have any intention of making the same mistakes.

they might make their own but the game reeks of a deliberate roll back to to TBC era WoW-ish-ness and the desire to do things differently from that point on.

I really think youre incorrect. The first time its ok, but after awhile it just gets old. Thats why alot of people dont sub to wow anymore. Doing the same thing over and over gets old, who would want to subject themselves to that?

The company is not out to make some statement with thier artwork. They are there to give poeple what they want without making it so easy people get bored.

No...it's this way because of bad design. A great game can still have bad design choices. This isn't a slam on Bioware, it's simply a fact. This middle-step of the orbital station does nothing for the lore or the fun factor of the game. It's a time sink, pure and simple and it is a bad design element in TOR.

I know, people who say stupid crap like that need to go back to single player games that are static and dont change.

Agree on the need to cut down travel time. In particular, the orbital stations serve no purpose, and need to go. The shuttles should just take you to your ship, and preferrably all have an option to take you to the fleet, and the rest of the annoying steps just happen in the cut scenes.

This is STILL an extra step that is NOT needed. Just go from the planet to your ship and back again. Much fast, much easier, fits with the SW lore, simple, elegant.

Major issue for me is the excessive amount of loading screens. They have essentially set up a bunch of empty instances for just you to use for travel that then require excessive loading screens. Give us something that takes us to our ship, just add it to the quick travel. ie have your ship come pick you up.

It is incredibly annoying after a while, and utterly pointless.

Especially when you get a mission to go speak to a guy on a different planet, you eventually get to the spaceport of where your currently at after travelling all over it, and THEN have to go through unpopulated, useless, pointless, "spacedock" screens.

You then EVENTUALLY arrive, speak to the guy, get some xp, and have to go through the whole damned thing in reverse to get back to the original planet you were on.

Hell that damned thing on a 30 minute timer should let me port straight into my ship, or have it come pick me up or something instead.

Very annoying.

The thing that gets me the most are the loading times between worlds. I can deal with running to a taxi to the star port to another world. Swtor is horribly optimized at the moment. Loading different world takes a full minute or so. Not loading to your ship. That's actually a fair loading time imo but could be better. Just fix the loading times so its a seamless transition.

I wouldn't mind as much if I could use speeders at all these places.

For the people complaining about the orbital stations in particular, you do realize that the primary loading time for the planet happens when you enter one, right? So whether you go directly to a spaceport and have to run out, or run through an orbital station to get to the planet, your still running about the same amount of time. It's just a few more clicks instead.

For those comparing it to WoW, unless you played a mage, you probably ended up taking much longer to travel. Outside of a few high lvl items to go to specific places, you only had a 30 minute hearth, just like the quick travel. Besides that you had to take a ship or zepplin which took much longer.

The only thing I don't get are the Orbital Stations. What exactly do these add to the game except adding an extra step in travel?

The planets with Orbital Stations are the ones without spaceports. So taking the shuttle to the planet from an orbital station is essentially taking the elevator from your hangar to the spaceport proper.

And yes, the elevator has a faster load than the shuttle, but landing at an orbital station is also a faster load than landing in a spaceport. It balances out, for the most part

I like traveling in SWTOR. It was a very unexpected but delightful surprise. When i first got my ship i was excited enough but then to see the map of the galaxy and see how the different locations were displayed with pictures and descriptions...was a completely new experience. I like it how it is.

For a long time now i have believed that WoW has watered down the MMORPG experience to nearly nothing more exciting than a pong game. Many games just imitating instead of creating. MMORPGs are not just about the destination, but the journey too.

When i went from one planet to another the first time in this game one word came to mind STYLE. Something i feel is lacking in the MMO scene these days. Too much simple mechanics and no art.

Another poster said it best OP and you would be wise to listen to him/her: You are just lazy.

What i will ask for is that the amount of load screens be cut or the speed at which the game loads be accelerated.

Typical fanboy. Completely ignore the point of my post and point out a spelling or other minor error instead of responding with a logical or rational counter-argument.

Okay, here's your rational counter argument. The longest flight paths in WoW took upwards of 15 minutes. While there are more steps involved in SWTOR, assuming you have a decent computer and can load planets relatively quickly, the travel time is actually fairly short.

The time is quick, you just want to be lazy and click one button to get somewhere, instead of actually DOING something.

Plus there are fleet teleporters, which I don't think I need to explain shortens the process.

I like traveling in SWTOR. It was a very unexpected but delightful surprise. When i first got my ship i was excited enough but then to see the map of the galaxy and see how the different locations were displayed with pictures and descriptions...was a completely new experience. I like it how it is.

For a long time now i have believed that WoW has watered down the MMORPG experience to nearly nothing more exciting than a pong game. Many games just imitating instead of creating. MMORPGs are not just about the destination, but the journey too.

When i went from one planet to another the first time in this game one word came to mind STYLE. Something i feel is lacking in the MMO scene these days. Too much simple mechanics and no art.

Another poster said it best OP and you would be wise to listen to him/her: You are just lazy.

What i will ask for is that the amount of load screens be cut or the speed at which the game loads be accelerated.

You went on a 4 paragraph diatribe to call everyone lazy then came back around to ask for the same exact thing most of us want. Less loading screens, more fluidity.