Update on Ability Delay from Georg

AllisonBerryman

Getting stuck running can happen for any game including console games, somehow I don't think it's related to the game itself but the control input. This has happens to me in SWTOR as well. The solution is always the same, tap the directional button in the same direction that you are stuck moving. Edited by Guardianbuzz

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major thumbs up to BioWare for the last patch, my Jedi Shadow is now a pleasure to play instead of a chore! Loving it!

Keep up the good work, it's still a wee bit glitchy at times, and the cooldown graphics problem still needs looking at (you know the thing where it's difficult to see whether a long CD is off or not because the sliver of blue is hard to distinguish); but the improvement in the ability delay problem itself is very noticeable and very positive, and makes me even more confident about the future of the game.

I have never experienced this or read anyone experiencing anything like this and I've read about 8000+ posts on this topic... I think it may be an isolated case but if this happens often to you, record it and upload to youtube so we can have a look.

I know that clicking the door in Voidstar, does not de-stealth you automatically but rather gives an error message that you cannot do it while stealthed. So perhaps that + autorun happened to you? probably not but hey....

I've noticed this happening more and more, and it's been reported as a bug with this build. For me, none of the graphical buttons work anymore when the error occurs, but a quick control-U twice to reset my UI fixes the situation. Keyboard input is not effected. It's happened about 4 times since the patch, 1 time in the entire time since launch, before.

its been a while since i posted in forums.

just came here to say me and my friends simply stopped playing.

might try it again when the delay is completely fixed.

ciao

football manager 2012 here i come

Edited by Lmaonade

• 2 months later...
Ability delay is back for 1.2 George and the worst its ever been. Animations are going off but the skill itself isnt which is causing you to lose a full GCD and recast. This happens the most in operations for me which is a huge dps loss overall.

Ability delay is back for 1.2 George and the worst its ever been. Animations are going off but the skill itself isnt which is causing you to lose a full GCD and recast. This happens the most in operations for me which is a huge dps loss overall.

I imagine some peoples ability delay has to do with increased server traffic. You're going to see it after a patch as more people log in to check out the new toys.

Personally, I haven't seen any ability delay. Not saying you don't have it, just saying it's not universal.

My server is dying on a daily basis so increased traffic definitely isn't the issue. No old players have came back to the game for 1.2, which really hurts the community. I currently play a annihilation marauder which is really noticeable but if you play a range class its not that noticeable. Operatives and juggs are having this issue also which needs to be addressed ASAP. I'm sure with the new UI overhaul the engineers found a way to screw up the time the animation goes off and the actually skill going on cool down.

Yeh im getting this ability delay on my Gunslinger. I turned the graphics on the lowest they can go and it is still apparent. Its quite annoying since it took me till we received aussie servers and 30ms latency before I realised it was such an issue. One really annoying thing is crouching or rolling into cover and queing blaster fire, it never really works. In crouch mode theres a different set of keys bound to 1-9 but after pressing crouch and then pressing 2, it picks up the key bindings of the non-crouched abilities still, even though im crouched right. Soo annoying!

P.S. Cancelled my subscription and just letting you guys know before I cant post my concerns in the forums anymore. Seems stupid that if you arent subscribed you cant post in forums, even if you have valid concerns and thoughts. Let me know how the ability delay progresses and I will subscribe again.

Yeh im getting this ability delay on my Gunslinger. I turned the graphics on the lowest they can go and it is still apparent. Its quite annoying since it took me till we received aussie servers and 30ms latency before I realised it was such an issue. One really annoying thing is crouching or rolling into cover and queing blaster fire, it never really works. In crouch mode theres a different set of keys bound to 1-9 but after pressing crouch and then pressing 2, it picks up the key bindings of the non-crouched abilities still, even though im crouched right. Soo annoying!
1.) You shouldn't be rolling into cover unless you're trying to quickly escape melee in PvP (in which case you shouldn't even stay in the environmental cover because then you can't knock them back).

2.) You can and should turn off the cover bar

• 1 year later...
Can we please get another update?

OK... I get that this is a problem for some people...

But did you have to necro SEVEN threads about this in a short period of time....

1. This one

2. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=227621&page=84

3. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=628521

4. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=570670&page=3

5. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=539275

6. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=233771&page=4

7. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6527893#post6527893

Edited by ninjonxb

I would say the posts are excessive, but its a genuine bug thats been present since Alpha. It has been reported multiple times by many people and no dev has ever actively acknowledged its existence, it was simply explained away as most things as a User end error and not Bioware.

It is currently quite an important bug to squash as its very frustrating in pvp to missfire at key moments stopping caps or giving enough time for reinforcements to arrive. Same goes for PvE boss fights missfire of tank or healing abilities can cause wipes...

Edited by Nagasurayami

I would say the posts are excessive, but its a genuine bug thats been present since Alpha. It has been reported multiple times by many people and no dev has ever actively acknowledged its existence, it was simply explained away as most things as a User end error and not Bioware.

I fully understand how bad this is. I don't think I have experienced it myself but I have seen the posts. I didn't mean to say that this was not an important issue if that is how I sounded. Just calling out the obvious excessive necro.

I fully understand how bad this is. I don't think I have experienced it myself but I have seen the posts. I didn't mean to say that this was not an important issue if that is how I sounded. Just calling out the obvious excessive necro.

No not at all you are perfectly justified in your opinions, the mods should and could merge the posts which would avoid necro of posts.

Necro's no big deal in this case. It's a serious problem that a lot of threads have been created for after this one. I haven't seen yellow text in any of them.

Edited by Joesixxpack

They fixed the bugs with this system a long long time ago.

What you are experiencing now is a DESIGN problem. The cause of your symptom is heavy load or latency from one of the servers involved in communicating combat such as positions and attack timing. When this latency is present the client will wait for a response from the server for so long before giving up (timing out) and your ability will not fire.

This latency is most likely not represented in your latency meter on your mini map. First you must understand that although you are connected to a single game server, that server is made up of many servers that provide different services to the client. The server being measured by the in game latency meter is most likely just a heartbeat server that keeps your session alive and does not provide combat services.

Anyway, the point is that this is related to hardware and server load more so than code. Unless they redesign the entire combat system - which will not happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, if they could only restore the damage from an ability to apply AFTER an animation finishes then we might be getting somewhere.

I understand why they changed it...it seems that some PVP folks didn't like the fact that others could avoid their damage in that split second that it took for the animation to finish. But that is how some specials are designed...with some sort of short or long buildup.

But to apply damage first to flagrant "in the air" animations just ends up looking plain silly IMO. Timed abilities should have the amount of time it takes to finish the animation reduced, not have the damage presented before the animation even fires IMO. It ruins the integrity of the entire animation process.

Just my opinion naturally. One of the worst changes they made IMO.