Buyer Beware

POINGjam

Regardless, I was refuting the statement that third party software cannot cause a graphics card to malfunction. RivaTuner can indeed be used to cause such hardware malfunction. Refutation successful. Thanks for reading.

Keep trying. You are not there yet.

A hammer can cause your graphics card to fail too......BUT NOT UNLESS THE USER APPLIES THE HAMMER.

The implication by posts like the OP is that the game client (a 3rd party application) is killing hardware against the will of the player.

People explain that this cannot happen, that rather there is an actual hardware failure or a USER induced problem. Which is in fact correct.

You then come out and use Riva Tuner as a nonsequitor to the discussion to try to refute this point. You failed, yet you then resorted to insults by calling other people ignorant when they pointed out the error you made.

And, in point of fact, programs like Riva Tuner are not actually 3rd party runtime applications in any sense of simillarity to a GAME CLIENT. They are however a 3rd party tweak tool designed specifically to over-ride system safeguards and driver safeguards. You trying to make Riva Tuner equvalent to the SWTOR game client in the context fo this discussion is a non-sequitor, and demonstrates the irony I pointed out earlier.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I set AA to "high" in game and my fans started ramping up big-time. I went into Catalyst and changed my AA setting to "application controlled" (I was forcing AA through the driver before the patch) and that seemed to remedy the problem. I have a feeling that, before switching it to application controlled my system was trying to AA the AA. The card is still running about 2-3 C higher than it was before the patch, though. Edited by Mannic

I'd like to introduce you to release Starcraft 2

It was an unlocked framerate cap on a menu that caused cards to be pushed to their max and overheat eventually (on select cards, as the press releases said, likely overclocked or unstable cards). Technically, a card should not burn out after hours of usage at max performance (burn in tests are for this purpose, particularly for experienced individuals to test the stability of their video cards when oc'd).

I think Blizzard might have been being nice (oxy-moron?) by not blaming the overclocking stability of its users cards. If you OC and know what you are doing, you already know how far your system can be pushed. If you OC and don't know what you are doing, your system is probably burning out as we speak ;)

It should be noted that video cards can safely reach very high temperatures, upwards of 100 degrees celcius. My card with stock cooling not OC'd only reaches maybe 60 degress celcius when playing TOR. I could OC it if I wanted to, but it's a 6970 and outclasses the game anyway, so why bother. Keep your card under 80 degrees with ocing and a burn in test and you should be fine.

Edited by Fellthar

how is it causing damage?

not trolling... genuinely curious...

their exist software that can cause mass overheating.

wich can damage compoments, highly unlike modern computer can be damaged by overheating tho.

it will first go thermal shutdown.

It was an unlocked framerate cap on a menu that caused cards to be pushed to their max and overheat eventually (on select cards, as the press releases said, likely overclocked or unstable cards). Technically, a card should not burn out after hours of usage at max performance (burn in tests are for this purpose, particularly for experienced individuals to test the stability of their video cards when oc'd).

I think Blizzard might have been being nice (oxy-moron?) by not blaming the overclocking stability of its users cards. If you OC and know what you are doing, you already know how far your system can be pushed. If you OC and don't know what you are doing, your system is probably burning out as we speak ;)

As I put a frame cap into my game from day 1 I never had this problem, but many people did who did and did not overclock their computers. This cards burned themselves out through rendering the client's "home page" and such

Edited by mercenx

Incorrect. A couple years back, Nvidia put out drivers that killed people's cards. It caused them to be over-worked, and caused massive overheating even though the cards temps showed as 60-70 on temp monitors.

Because that kind of software controls the video cards fan.

Wait... BW did inject code that controls your VC's fan.. lmao

I'd like to introduce you to release Starcraft 2

People keep bringing this up, but even though that screen in Starcraft 2 worked video cards pretty hard, the only way a computer would have been damaged (indirectly) by it would have been if it was insufficiently cooled.

This myth that Starcraft 2 burned out video cards is just that: a myth.

Software cannot break hardware. Never has. Never will. Unless it specifically pushes your processor/gfx card past it's limits. In that case, the cards/mobo's simply shut down to be rebooted.

OP, you need to post about something you know about. But Software cannot break hardware.

Exactly.

Anyone running stock factory configurations were not having overheat problems unless the removed their systems safeguards or had other cooling issues that were not up to factory settings when they aquired their equipment.

But Rather then get in customers faces about it, Blizzard decided to take things into their own hands because they know that there are players that tweak the poop out of their systems for their beloved FPS shooters and then log into Starcraft without tweaking anything back.

Edited by Andryah

The recent patch has been causing damage to players' graphics cards. I'm sure it's in the EULA that users accept liability for system damage sustained while running the game (as it is in pretty much every game's EULA), but isn't this taking advantage of the customer? It's unreasonable to expect consumers to buy software at the risk of hundreds of dollars of equipment damage. If a car manufacturer puts out a product with faulty brakes, they get called on it, issue a recall, and compensate customers for any related damages (that includes property).

I get that we won't see a dime in compensation for the damage to our systems from SWTOR, but what can we do to change the PC game industry's practice of putting all liability on the consumer?

Which competitor game company do you work for, Bro?

And, in point of fact, programs like Riva Tuner are not actually 3rd party runtime applications in any sense of simillarity to a GAME CLIENT. They are however a 3rd party tweak tool designed specifically to over-ride system safeguards and driver safeguards. You trying to make Riva Tuner equvalent to the SWTOR game client in the context fo this discussion is a non-sequitor, and demonstrates the irony I pointed out earlier.

Correct.

Besides that, RT does not official support newer hardware, Alex stopped coding on it a long time ago.

On top of that, RT can control voltage, fan duty cycle and other things, which should not be messed around with on newer cards neither with newer drivers, since it hasn't been tested neither coded up against them.

Edited by Mineria

The OP clearly lacks any PC tec knowledge.

Its like saying Google broke my sound card ROFL.

challenge accepted.

press at your own risk, TOR, or me cant be held responsable for any damage cased.

including permanent hearing damage

Why people think this isn't possible confounds me. The SC2 thing is hardly a myth.

It's a myth.

I'm sure there were people with badly-cooled machines who had issues, but if their machines couldn't handle their GPU running at 100% for extended lengths of time, they had insufficient cooling. Period. End of story.

And, in any case, there is nothing in TOR that comes close to working a video card in that way.

The recent patch has been causing damage to players' graphics cards. I'm sure it's in the EULA that users accept liability for system damage sustained while running the game (as it is in pretty much every game's EULA), but isn't this taking advantage of the customer? It's unreasonable to expect consumers to buy software at the risk of hundreds of dollars of equipment damage. If a car manufacturer puts out a product with faulty brakes, they get called on it, issue a recall, and compensate customers for any related damages (that includes property).

I get that we won't see a dime in compensation for the damage to our systems from SWTOR, but what can we do to change the PC game industry's practice of putting all liability on the consumer?

I'm calling ********

Edited by HomeSlixe

Not saying it's happening in TOR, but it's absolutely possible for it to happen.

no it's not.

Been doing computer / software support for over 30 years. It's an old arguement that goes back ages, and has been proven time and time again, that software cannot break hardware.

Unless the software specifically increases processor speed, mobo, GFX, by bypassing the operating system/kernel, the internal failsafes will shut down the hardware in question prior to terminal/catastrophic/permanent damage.

Just not possible.

Incorrect. A couple years back, Nvidia put out drivers that killed people's cards. It caused them to be over-worked, and caused massive overheating even though the cards temps showed as 60-70 on temp monitors.

Nvidia Drivers on an Nvidia card are not 3rd party software.

you /fail

Try again

3rd party software does not affect hardware.

Awesome! Software code is causing hardware damage.

Yeah, worst. Troll Evar! Go back to your bridge with this nonsense.

You clearly have absolutely no clue what C++ can do to hardware. Yes, code can be written to push hardware beyond it's normal operating standers and cause faults. Especially with video cards and hard drives.

You clearly have absolutely no clue what C++ can do to hardware. Yes, code can be written to push hardware beyond it's normal operating standers and cause faults. Especially with video cards and hard drives.

The language used to code the software is completely irrelevant. Your post doesn't make sense.

C++ can't do anything to hardware that you couldn't do in any other programming language.

Edited by Pink_Saber