Remove PvP flagging from AOE effects on PvE servers.

HanoverFist

Edit: 1/27/12

Joveth Gonzalez has replied to another thread dealing with this problem. A big Thank you to Joveth for the communication.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that the development team is aware of this issue and is currently investigating different solutions for it. Your feedback is important and we want everyone to be able to have an enjoyable experience. We'll definitely keep you posted with the latest information on this.

Thank you

-----------------------------------------------

This tactic is used for griefing more and more every day on PvE servers. I will link below several complaint threads. PvE players have no desire to PvP but are having it forced upon them by the more unscrupulous parts of the player base while pursuing their PvE story lines.

Unwanted PVP flags during HOTH quests

Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

PVP flagged on a PVE server?

Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

Confused and Very Upset!

Fix the forced flagging of PVP

PVE server pvp flag bug.

PVP flagging control.

As you can see left unattended this issue is escalating in severity and has already caused a few to in those threads to hit the unsubscribe button. There is the direct attack exploit too, where they attack any mob you have aggroed, if you attack that mob again you are flagged.

Edited by HanoverFist

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. It sorta ruins the whole "I want to play PvE" when some yahoo decided it'd be fun to run his 50 into my Pulse Cannon shot so he can grief-flag me.

Deliberately targeting and firing on someone should auto-flag, not having random guys sprint through your bombardment.

I completely agree with this. I ran into this exact problem on Tatooine a while back, where a whole guild full of Imperial players decided to go hunting Republic players by flagging them for PvP by getting caught in their AoE abilities.'

It was quite a while and several repair bills before they were finally driven away by the NPCs guarding the speeder NPC before I was able to unflag for PvP and go back to what I was trying to do.

so essentially if you wanted to kill someone that was pvp flagged, you would just continously use aoe abilities on them and they wouldn't be able to touch you?

AOE abilities used by an unflagged player shouldn't hit any other players (flagged or not). That's the fix to the whole issue.

/signed

I had a group of Republic roll me just as I started to tank a mob, as a Darkness Assassin I use Wither which is a good sized AoE, I was alone.

It flagged me as this Republic group followed me in, ran up as I attacked the mob, an ganked me.

Cowards the lot of them, couldn't even face me fairly as I was already fighting the mob (3 strongs) and occupied.

I wish I got who they were as I consider it using an exploit and I would have reported them hard, but I did log in a Bug Report as the best I could do.

Edited by Esproc

Wow, luckily I haven't encountered anything like this yet. I like PvP when I choose to participate in it, but if it's forced upon me by another player I would be pissed.

I fully support the removal of this, and Bioware must make it a high priority. They could potentially lose even more of their playerbase if nothing changes with this sort of crap. I really enjoy this game but stuff like this can kill the fun.

so essentially if you wanted to kill someone that was pvp flagged, you would just continously use aoe abilities on them and they wouldn't be able to touch you?

no. you should only be able to 'affect' an opposting player if you are .both. flagged for pvp to begin with.

Agreed, and I'll one up you too. I teamed up with someone yesterday on a heroic and turned out they were flagged for PVP. So for me to give them my class buff on the heroic, I have to get flagged for PVP. So my options are buff a teammate on a heroic and get flagged for PVP or put us at a disadvantage on the quest by not giving them my class buff. That's silly. I realize they don't want PVP players benefiting from healers and buffers that aren't flagged and can't be touched by an opponent but they need to fix this.

Just have the buff and healing effects not apply on a PVE server if they are in combat with a PVP player. If they get buffed and healed out of combat, who cares.....the class buff lasts for an hour anyway so they can get that well before engaging in PVP and they don't stack and they can heal themselves out of combat....and no one is going to run around to heal a PVP guy while he's out of combat, lol.

Yes, I'm on a pvp server, but this makes sense. You should have to manually flag before you can damage another player in a pve area on a pve server.

Just have the buff and healing effects not apply on a PVE server if they are in combat with a PVP player.

I actually don't see the sense in this. Just leave off the class buff until his pvp flag wears off. If you see a same faction player being attacked by an enemy player, you should be able to click on them and heal immediately, without having to turn your own pvp flag on. And of course it would flag you for pvp.

I actually don't see the sense in this. Just leave off the class buff until his pvp flag wears off. If you see a same faction player being attacked by an enemy player, you should be able to click on them and heal immediately, without having to turn your own pvp flag on. And of course it would flag you for pvp.

Try re-reading my post. I couldn't buff a player on my own group in a heroic quest on a PVE server without getting flagged because he had his flag on. This had nothing to do with PVP. There was no PVP around. We weren't PVP'ing. He just had the flag on. So I can't use my buff in PVE on a group-mate without getting flagged. This is obviously because they didn't want people flagged on PVE servers getting buffs and heals from players who aren't flagged and can't be touched by another player. So just have the buffs and heals not apply if the player is engaged in PVP combat unless the buffing/healing player is flagged too.

You're on PVP server....this has no application to a PVP server as everyone is "flagged" there anyway. Get it now?

I couldn't buff a player on my own group in a heroic quest on a PVE server without getting flagged because he had his flag on. This had nothing to do with PVP. There was no PVP around. We weren't PVP'ing. He just had the flag on.

I did read your post and I did understand. I still think it's better to have buffing/healing automatically flag you if you do it to a pvp flagged player.

The fault here is that the game flags the other player for pvp when he's not been pvping. Still haven't worked out why pvp flags come on spontaneously, something to do with switching areas.

Edited by Slightlycampana

I would extend this to healing, buffing, everything else. You should never 'inadvertently' be flagged. Another game I play, not the one you thought I was going to say, but maybe the second one you thought I might say, you just can't do it. The main reason you can't there is because there are...events...that are happening outside where both sides participate and it would be impossible not to flag yourself, unless you just stood there and did nothing and died.

Not real excited about these 'throw back' rules myself. :)

/signed. There is no reason anyone should ever get flagged against their wishes on a PVE server.

A guy in another post came up with a brilliant idea, to which I added a few thoughts of my own.

If they refuse to remove this from the PVE servers, then to make things fair they should on the PVP servers, spawn stealthed Champion mobs in random places where the pvpers will be fighting. And make the Champion mobs at least 20 levels above the level of the highest player in the area. LOL. I can just see all the qqing then. Then we can just tell them to suck it up, be more aware, or don't use their AOEs, like they tell us. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.