The "10 years" argument bollocks

katsalex

I am torn in the middle between dissapointment and anger.

I bought the game with the intention of playing it at least 6 months. I intended to give my money, I could do a one year subscription after first month. My BIAS WAS POSITIVE.

Unfortunately yesterday I gave up and came to the conclusion that the core of this game was implemented in a wrong way. It does not matter if things are going to be fixed r content will be addded since there will be no one left playing by then. "The 10 years of features" argument when comparing this to wow is bollocks.

The main RPG I played the one that kept me for more than 4 years is off course wow. The other mmos I tried with the same intentions as Kotor are WAR, AION and CONAN they all failed. Kotor is just the latest addition to the list.

I wanted to believe all this time the argument that "wow has 10 years worth of features, you can't compare a 1 month game to it". The argument is partially logical and correct. The problematic part is that the features that are implemented and where implemented at launch of wow 10 YRS AGO are wrong in this game. I will not go in to pve I don't care about it any more.

The three Major problems that are not related to "first launch one month" are

1) No one ultimate problem is the server cap. KOTOR has 1 million servers of 1000 people each. It does not work it will not work , game over.

An endgame pvp zone with a total of 15 people is not acceptable. In all other MMOS I played imbalanced or not there was not problem such as this. All zones where full after one month of launch. This is the only MMO that is not an MMO.

2) Server imbalance

This problem first appeared 25 years ago in street fighter 2 where everyone picked RYU. Don't try to convince me it's not biowares fault. They should have predicted it and dealt with it. In KOTOR the server imbalance is way worse than every other MMO i have seen and the fact that it's only 100 people playing at every server makes it worse.

3) Performance / input lag

My friends have Quad proccessors and 460gtx cpus and 8gbs of ram and they play with 10 frames with everything set to low on 1680x1050. I play with 30-40 frames and have an i5 2500k , ssd and 570GTX . This is just ****. I was hoping it's a bug that needs to be fixed but then I have the bioware guy saying "we are reducing the server cap in illum (so now it will be 5 people instead of 20) to increase performance." That's a toomstone they wouldn't do this **** if they knew how to fix their performance issues.

Input lag: No comment, they obviously never played games or something I cannot explain it.

So it does not matter if the 10 year old features are here of missing. This game failed a lot at launch.

Bioware people listen to my advice. If you don't deal with this stuff, it's over. People who leave this game are not going to come back. It's the make or break era of your game fixing this **** after 6 months means that everyone will just be playing diablo 3 or pandaran.

I dont really know why I made this thread , I am just kind of pissed but I know why I didn't do it and that is to TROLL. So all comments welcome just take it as a fact this is not a trolling thread.

PS : From what I hear PVE is not the best thing after water either but the fact that you made the story so intriguing during leveling (you did a great job there I admit) means only that most people will just play 10 alts and then quit the game. The endgame is already dead. I don't want that **** I have been levelling since I was 12 I hate it.

Edited by katsalex

You do realise you can turn off input lag right? Go into options and fine the ability queue time and set it to 0.0

I am talking about real input lag. The one that people who play games "seriously" understand.

If you don't cool let other ones understand what i am talking about

This setting does nothing I set it to 0 first 30 minutes I played the game.

Of course he didn't, why actually learn about something when you can cry like a baby instead?

Go back to your desk developer.

Edited by katsalex

I am talking about real input lag. The one that people who play games "seriously" understand.

This setting does nothing I set it to 0 first 30 minutes I played the game.

I play this game on a horrible bog standard BT connection and a two year old PC and I have have little lag because I turn off all of the resource and bandwidth hungry applications on my PC first.

The only time I get input lag is when I have things like FRAPS, iTunes, Steam, Vent or Skype running in the background. Know what that is called?

Regular lag.

Either close down some background applications that might be affecting your framerate and/or connection speed or consider saving up for computer upgrades or a faster internet connection.

Apprentice Lilisette Firewing

There you go, keyword - Apprentice. Low level newbie who has never PvPed and been in many life and death situations (in case newbie doesn't know, you lose your streak when you die. go research on what streak is) where your one skill can save your life and you died because it simply refused to activate on time or even activate at all.

Oh and it matters in PvE too, extremely annoying especially in instances where your skill for interrupting, or buffing your teammates won't go off. Won't go too in depth, reach 50 first, then start doing HM and PvP 50 bracket.

Edited by Rezenith

There you go, keyword - Apprentice. Low level newbie who has never PvPed and been in many life and death situations (in case newbie doesn't know, you lose your streak when you die. go research on what streak is) where your one skill can save your life and you died because it simply refused to activate on time or even activate at all.

Oh and it matters in PvE too, extremely annoying especially in instances where your skill for interrupting, or buffing your teammates won't go off. Won't go too in depth, reach 50 first, then start doing HM and PvP 50 bracket.

Actually I play on a Roleplay server and I roleplay a Sith Apprentice with a friend roleplaying as her master.

The progenitor EU is a Roleplay server and you would be able to find that out by simply pulling up the server list: less than 10 seconds of research before hitting "Submit Reply"

Brilliant reading and research skills there ^_^

and you realise, that feature is a setting to actually que a next ability not to determine the time it takes for said action to work

If you button mash with it on then it results in a whole lot of abilities not firing.

Also "instant" abilities with an animation can be interrupted. This includes passes in Huttball. When someone tries to pass you have about a second to interrupt/stun/CC them.

It's a great way to annoy Sorcs and Sages too actually since a lot of their CC is instant with an animation.

You do realise you can turn off input lag right? Go into options and fine the ability queue time and set it to 0.0

All this setting does: it lets you decide how many seconds before the Global Cooldown ends you can queue another ability. Standard setting is 0.5 sec.

The effect is, that if you have higher latency, you can compensate for it with the queue. So with a 500 ms latency you actions should still register at the server at the end of the GCD, instead of having a 0,5 second idle time between casts.

FYI

Lag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

what I am talking about is "Lag in local video gaming" or

Input lag

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803

When you have high input lag and 60 fps you have a problem in the game engine or a bad monitor. My monitor is a 120hz sub 1 frame lag monitor so..

Edited by katsalex

I am torn in the middle between dissapointment and anger.

I bought the game with the intention of playing it at least 6 months. I intended to give my money, I could do a one year subscription after first month. My BIAS WAS POSITIVE.

Unfortunately yesterday I gave up and came to the conclusion that the core of this game was implemented in a wrong way. It does not matter if things are going to be fixed r content will be addded since there will be no one left playing by then. "The 10 years of features" argument when comparing this to wow is bollocks.

The main RPG I played the one that kept me for more than 4 years is off course wow. The other mmos I tried with the same intentions as Kotor are WAR, AION and CONAN they all failed. Kotor is just the latest addition to the list.

I wanted to believe all this time the argument that "wow has 10 years worth of features, you can't compare a 1 month game to it". The argument is partially logical and correct. The problematic part is that the features that are implemented and where implemented at launch of wow 10 YRS AGO are wrong in this game. I will not go in to pve I don't care about it any more.

The three Major problems that are not related to "first launch one month" are

1) No one ultimate problem is the server cap. KOTOR has 1 million servers of 1000 people each. It does not work it will not work , game over.

An endgame pvp zone with a total of 15 people is not acceptable. In all other MMOS I played imbalanced or not there was not problem such as this. All zones where full after one month of launch. This is the only MMO that is not an MMO.

2) Server imbalance

This problem first appeared 25 years ago in street fighter 2 where everyone picked RYU. Don't try to convince me it's not biowares fault. They should have predicted it and dealt with it. In KOTOR the server imbalance is way worse than every other MMO i have seen and the fact that it's only 100 people playing at every server makes it worse.

3) Performance / input lag

My friends have Quad proccessors and 460gtx cpus and 8gbs of ram and they play with 10 frames with everything set to low on 1680x1050. I play with 30-40 frames and have an i5 2500k , ssd and 570GTX . This is just ****. I was hoping it's a bug that needs to be fixed but then I have the bioware guy saying "we are reducing the server cap in illum (so now it will be 5 people instead of 20) to increase performance." That's a toomstone they wouldn't do this **** if they knew how to fix their performance issues.

Input lag: No comment, they obviously never played games or something I cannot explain it.

So it does not matter if the 10 year old features are here of missing. This game failed a lot at launch.

Bioware people listen to my advice. If you don't deal with this stuff, it's over. People who leave this game are not going to come back. It's the make or break era of your game fixing this **** after 6 months means that everyone will just be playing diablo 3 or pandaran.

I dont really know why I made this thread , I am just kind of pissed but I know why I didn't do it and that is to TROLL. So all comments welcome just take it as a fact this is not a trolling thread.

PS : From what I hear PVE is not the best thing after water either but the fact that you made the story so intriguing during leveling (you did a great job there I admit) means only that most people will just play 10 alts and then quit the game. The endgame is already dead. I don't want that **** I have been levelling since I was 12 I hate it.

How do I rate the above Extra Awesome?

I never played WoW. Seriously. Wouldn't know WHAT features it has. But I agree, this game lacks features that are standard in much older games, implements other features it copied badly (no 1-2-3-4-5 for target marking? Seriously?) and has more bugs that I encountered at launch in games like Warhammer, Aion, POTBS and Rift. And three of THOSE games failed badly.

This game is already dead. We were about 10 people who started to play a month ago but everyone got bored when they hit 50, so now it's just me and one more left and we are quiting in 2 days since there's no way we are gonna waste more money on this.

This game is already dead. We were about 10 people who started to play a month ago but everyone got bored when they hit 50, so now it's just me and one more left and we are quiting in 2 days since there's no way we are gonna waste more money on this.

Byebye, close the door on your way out. Have fun rushing thrue the next mmo that comes along.

I think hes more talking about the ability delay which simply should not be in a modern MMORPG. Especially not with such a long beta.

The population imbalance pisses me off but the ability/animation delay/stutter bugs enrage me.

The game does not have responsive PvP. It cannot stand up to other games that do.

Force Leap is supposed to immobilize a target for several seconds, which is more than the global cooldown.

Force Leap -> Master Strike works maybe 1/5 of the time. TWENTY PERCENT OF THE TIME.

One of several failures can occur:

1. Gets "You must be facing your target/Target not in range" error despite target being right in front of you. A second or two later the enemy teleports to where they REALLY are.

2. Stutter bug. Press the button but nothing happens. And/Or animation starts to play then interrupts itself. Often the global cooldown triggers, but nothing happens.

3. Animation bug. Master Strike animation plays out, ROOTING ME, but no damage occurs and Master Strike cooldown does not trigger either.

My ping is 50-60ms. It is not lag on my end. My computer should be more than capable of handling the game. This is just one example too, it happens with every ability ALL THE TIME.

And don't give me this "Oh the game just came out" crap - I've never seen it this bad in other MMOs at launch. Regular lag - yes, but this is not lag. This is the engine failing to do what it is supposed to do, either because of poor optimization or bad netcode. I'm thinking it's the latter.

Edited by EternalFinality

The population imbalance pisses me off but the ability/animation delay/stutter bugs enrage me.

The game does not have responsive PvP. It cannot stand up to other games that do.

Force Leap is supposed to immobilize a target for several seconds, which is more than the global cooldown.

Force Leap -> Master Strike works maybe 1/5 of the time. TWENTY PERCENT OF THE TIME.

One of several failures can occur:

1. Gets "You must be facing your target/Target not in range" error despite target being right in front of you. A second or two later the enemy teleports to where they REALLY are.

2. Stutter bug. Press the button but nothing happens. And/Or animation starts to play then interrupts itself. Often the global cooldown triggers, but nothing happens.

3. Animation bug. Master Strike animation plays out, ROOTING ME, but no damage occurs and Master Strike cooldown does not trigger either.

My ping is 50-60ms. It is not lag on my end. My computer should be more than capable of handling the game. This is just one example too, it happens with every ability ALL THE TIME.

And don't give me this "Oh the game just came out" crap - I've never seen it this bad in other MMOs at launch. Regular lag - yes, but this is not lag. This is the engine failing to do what it is supposed to do, either because of poor optimization or bad netcode. I'm thinking it's the latter.

Just want to support this post.