Jedi Guardian needs a buff (Bad)

kogaking

I feel like the Jedi Guardian is a cloth wearer that can't take on 2 enemies without dropping below 30% health. This is really disappointing that I am playing a tanking class, and yet I can't even stand up well WITH A COMPANION against 3-4 mobs in my level range. Something has to be done.

And another thing.

Jedi Guardians are probably the worst tanks in the game right now. They need cooldowns reduced and some kind of AOE taunt with more threat. They can barely keep anything on themselves. They might as well be a permanent off-Tank at this point. It's a poor build of a class.

Bring on the hate.

I have no problems with AoE tanking. Use Force Sweep, keep using Cyclone Slashing, single taunt mobs out of control, challenge call if it really gets out of hand and then cyclone slash like crazy, and stasis other elites/strongs to build a lot of threat on them to hold them as well.

This is the tactic I use and I absolutely never have problems with AOE tanking.

The class is not so bad as you think. It's very complex and it's the best single threat tank in the game. It involves extra work, and if you aren't willing to put in the work (and come in here and complain, "oh were bad") then you should just reroll.

I can easily gain aggro and tank mobs with a companion. The strategy is simple in that you use Force sweep and cyclone slash to hit multiple targets. Force leap at a melee, run in the middle of the mob, drop force sweep and concentrate on single threat. Use Challenging call (Oh look! Your AoE taunt! Something tells me you're like like 23 or something like that). I hate it when lowbies come in here and complain about the class.

Edited by Shadow_Spec

I feel like the Jedi Guardian is a cloth wearer that can't take on 2 enemies without dropping below 30% health. This is really disappointing that I am playing a tanking class, and yet I can't even stand up well WITH A COMPANION against 3-4 mobs in my level range. Something has to be done.

And another thing.

Jedi Guardians are probably the worst tanks in the game right now. They need cooldowns reduced and some kind of AOE taunt with more threat. They can barely keep anything on themselves. They might as well be a permanent off-Tank at this point. It's a poor build of a class.

Bring on the hate.

Which is it? in the first paragraph you are complaining that you can't stand up against 3 mobs your level (which is B.S.), and in the second paragraph you are complaining that you can't seem to aggro all the mobs to you...

I admit it was hard for me until 35 or so. I am a pretty good gamer I would say.

Upon getting a healer companion, and really learning the class, I feel much more bad a zz.

When things start to get out of hand, it is a very tricky thing to get back under control. If your group DPS is a Sentinel/Shadow, its all over. Especially those "Hybrid" tank/dps shadow guys. I hate them.

I hate that Cyclone Slash does so little damage, but it actually kind of helps maintain aggro. It should NOT cost 3 focus for such a lame move though.

at 43, I came in 1st in 3 PVP Warzones today....for the first time ever, i got 1st. and multiple times. (Something to do with ditching all the 50 sorcerers from my server....Hmmm.....)

If you have trouble, just keep with it. If you don't like the class by 35, you should quit.

This is really disappointing that I am playing a tanking class, and yet I can't even stand up well WITH A COMPANION against 3-4 mobs in my level range. .

I am up to 35 on a defense speced guardian and havent seen this problem, With Kira as a companion I can usualy take 4-5 standard at level enemies(or 2 strong, or an elite and standard or 2) and still have 80-90% of my health at the end of the fight.

are you using your interrupts, stuns and force push(for me this was the magic button, it interrupts, keeps them from doing anything for a couple of seconds, and sets them up for another stun from leap)?

Edited by robcoe

I feel like the Jedi Guardian is a cloth wearer that can't take on 2 enemies without dropping below 30% health. This is really disappointing that I am playing a tanking class,

No you aren't, you are playing a class with one tanking tree and two dps trees - but we'll assume without further evidence you are going Defense tree...

and yet I can't even stand up well WITH A COMPANION against 3-4 mobs in my level range. Something has to be done.

Odd - because neither of my guardians (one Defense, one Vigilance) have issues on a regular 3-4 mob group. In fact, I tend to get a bit lazy on the vigilance one and leap into one set only to find T7 merrily killing another group all by himself because I got a little too close.

And another thing.

Bring on the hate.

No hate - some confusion and a whole lot of disagreement though. In Defense spec I've never had an issue maintaining threat on my designated target(s). In Vigilance spec I've main tanked H4s and FPs many times wearing my dps gear so long as the healer was half-way decent.

Get your gear up to date - stop wearing greens 6-7 levels below you. And get your companion gear up to date as well - again, green stuff 7-10 levels old won't cut it.

Do some research here - some excellent pointers on how to build, what abilities to use in different situations, opening sequences. Guardians could use a few improvements and the stuttering is a bit of a pain but many many players are very successfully leveling and PvPing with it.

In short....it isn't the class....

Just got to 25 as Vigilance. I'm using Kira as my companion.

I can easily kill groups of my own level. Elites not a problem either.

Tanked a few heroics and went as DPS on FP's. No problems either.

I reckon with a decent healer I can tank FP's as well.

Both Kira and my own gear are up to date. Something you really need.

The Class needs some getting used to. But it's nowhere near as weak as you describe it.

Not something I say very often, but I think it's a L2P issue on your part.

You do know that SWTOR isn't wow. Every mod is not meant to be tanked. Normal mobs are meant to just be fought by your group. I like it that way it feels more like a fight. Imstead of everyone in a group huddled around the tank while 10 guys beat on him.

Just got to 25 as Vigilance. I'm using Kira as my companion.

I can easily kill groups of my own level. Elites not a problem either.

Tanked a few heroics and went as DPS on FP's. No problems either.

I reckon with a decent healer I can tank FP's as well.

Both Kira and my own gear are up to date. Something you really need.

The Class needs some getting used to. But it's nowhere near as weak as you describe it.

Not something I say very often, but I think it's a L2P issue on your part.

No offense but at only level 25 your opinion is not valid at all. You can't really compare it towards a full Vigilance spec.

No offense but at only level 25 your opinion is not valid at all. You can't really compare it towards a full Vigilance spec.

I'm level 47 though and I agree with the guy that is only level 25. I ask a trooper for help with a story quest and suddenly I have to run to catch up cause he's totally obliterating every enemy and could probably have also soloed the boss too (without a companion healer).

I'm level 47 though and I agree with the guy that is only level 25. I ask a trooper for help with a story quest and suddenly I have to run to catch up cause he's totally obliterating every enemy and could probably have also soloed the boss too (without a companion healer).

So wait a moment...that level 25 is saying Vigilance is good as it is, then you agree with the level 25 by saying Vigilance is so weak that you need help from a buddy?

Logic failure.

Edited by truevalon

So wait a moment...that level 25 is saying Vigilance is good as it is, then you agree with the level 25 by saying Vigilance is so weak that you need help from a buddy?

Logic failure.

Sorry got confused who was saying what. I thought the lvl 25 person was saying there was a problem.

So, after reading around on the forums, thought I would chip in my two cents. To start with, my Guardian is running around with 2/5 Columi (Chest and Gloves), Champion Earpiece and implants, and the orange gear I have is equipped with Ilum Guardian Armors, Artifact enhancements and I am starting to swap Artifact Mods from Champion and Centurion Gear Duplicates.

I also played as a Paladin Tank in WoW. I tanked through Lich King and would have gone through Cata, but I quit right after Cata came out. The last real challenge in tanking was Algalon. Everything had become to easy.

That being said, playing through the Guardian is a challenge. Running through Hard Mode False Emperor, Cyclone Slash and Challenging Call are enough to do some AoE tanking. However, it will get you turned into Swiss Cheese. On the other hand, tanking HK-47 and Malgus I have no issues holding aggro to both. In fact, if it wasn't for HK's aggro drop on Sniping, I wouldn't have had to taunt in either boss fight.

All this as a Heavy Vigilance Hybrid.

Is that wrong? No.

Vigilance is not the shared tree for Knights, Focus is.

Now, does the Defense Tree need some work? Yes, yes it does. Should Blade Barrier be scaled off of Strength (Or better yet, Endurance!) instead of Willpower? Yes.

Vigilance Hybrids are just a different flavor of Guardian tanks.

TL;DR:

Focus is a DPS tree, Vigilance is a DPS or tanking tree, depends on how you spec. Fix Blade Barrier, take a second look at Defense.

How do I fix the Defense Tree?

Replacing Cyclonic Sweeps:

Bolt Deflection

On a successful parry of a ranged attack, deflects the bolt back to the target. This deals no damage, but increases the Guardian's Threat by 33/66/100% of the parried damage against that target.

New Sixth Tier Talent:

Calm in the Storm (Guardian name, unsure of a good Juggernaut name)

1 point talent

Increases the amount of threat generated by Cyclone Slash, Force Sweep, and Guardian Slash by 100%.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discuss.