The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Republic endgame gear does not make me look powerful. Only stupid.

ndruo

We should remove all armoring and decorative hoods from Consular and Knight sets, and instead replace them with bath robes and tunics.

I would love that, but it won't happen since there would be many that wouldn't like the idea, which is understandable enough, after all lore is fantasy.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A dude wearing green... a muted earth tone... how does this contradict me?

- Red is not a Sith color. Black is, if anything. The Empire mainly used Black and White because Lucas was telling the story of WW2 in space.

- Irrelevant point since all I wanted to show is that it's possible to look like a Jedi without wearing a brown bathrobe

- Green is still better than what Reps get.

- See Point 2.

You're a Jedi. You're not supposed to look awesome your supposed to look humble. Armor thats to flashy could invoke emotion in people and Jedi try to suppress emotion as much as possible.

The Sith on the other hand are all about instilling fear in people. So they go all out with their armor hoping to make themselves look more frighteningly powerful to people.

Edited by ClayPeopleCry

You're a Jedi. You're not supposed to look awesome your supposed to look humble. Armor thats to flashy could invoke emotion in people and Jedi try to suppress emotion as much as possible.

The Sith on the other hand are all about instilling fear in people. So they go all out with their armor hoping to make themselves look more frighteningly powerful to people.

That's just too much logic, they want it shiny and they want it now

I love the idea of looking humble. But part of the problem is the purple-gear at level 50 for Consulars is really ornate flashy stuff that looks terrible on male Consulars.

If they put in more "normal" jedi robes, in a larger variety of earth tones, I'd actually be quite happy. As it stands, the options are pretty slim, especially in end-game.

Edited by ZenBones

My main is a Jedi Knight. I farmed Hammer Station and Athiss for gear. Now I am a knight in modded trooper armor, and I prefer it that way.

It isn't that I dislike the robes, but some parts of them are not appealing. For example, I cannot stand how the front piece of all robes is stuck to the legs of the person wearing it. The devs gave the entire back end of the robe cloth mechanics with collision, why couldn't they do this for the front side as well?

My shadow would have looked like a walking mutated mushroom had I left his headgear showing. The headgear before that was a blonde bob wig that made me look like a transvestite.

I saw another consular that looked like a space age Nurse Ratchet.

I've seen several other consulars look like they just left a costume party to attend a formal ball and didn't quite finish changing their clothes.

It takes thick skin to be a Consular, I guess. *sigh*

So blue, green, and purple are still on the board that you subscribe to? Keep in mind, Sith/darksiders in the star wars movies didn't wear red or orange or whatever - they wore black instead of beige like lightsiders. Everything else looked pretty much the same.

The only time red was really prominent on screen was through lightsabers, blaster bolts, Darth Maul's face, and the symbol of the rebel alliance. That, and the empire's personal guard.

=/

But there's the thing, red isn't dark, or light, it's a color. We want COLORS.

As far as being able to denote factions goes, I feel like the fact that you can kill the other team to be separating enough. It's not as if Republic is necessarily "light siders" anyway.

You have colours, they're called earth tones.

In the Star Wars Old Republic era, bold colours along with black and grey are Imperial. Muted earth tones along with white and blue are Republic.

To change this would be a big blow to the entire art style of the fiction.

I bought a Star Wars game to play Star Wars in.

- Red is not a Sith color. Black is, if anything. The Empire mainly used Black and White because Lucas was telling the story of WW2 in space.

- Irrelevant point since all I wanted to show is that it's possible to look like a Jedi without wearing a brown bathrobe

- Green is still better than what Reps get.

- See Point 2.

Red is an IMPERIAL colour, that first picture was of the KNIGHTS OF THE EMPIRE. They worked for the Empire. Hence red. They may have been neither Sith nor Jedi, but they were IMPERIAL SOLDIERS.

It's not irrelevant, I am arguing to MAINTAIN THE PURITY OF THE ART STYLE of Star Wars. So if your example is not a canon artist, it doesn't matter. I could draw a picture of a Sith wearing pink, it doesn't mean the Sith wear pink.

I bought SWTOR to play in the Star Wars universe.

In Star Wars, Jedi generally wear brown bath robes, even when they're the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy.

I wouldn't just having some of the armor models in the holonet which shows the concept art.

The Jedi Knight instance gears with the overly large shoulder pads looks like something you would see in the various high fantasy games.

Jedi are meant to look humble but the concept art photos show many pieces of armor that suit the class.

To be honest I hate the space cowboy look on all the smuggler sets and 99% of the coloring on all of our gear does match.

I mean it's horrible. If you look at the concept art and progression videos non of the endgame gear matches them. The cowboy hats and the Lando capes just do not go together. We got those horrible pimp collared fur coats, that look horrible because 98% of them have horrid color schemes. All the cool jackets and gear that we see on npc's turns out to be agent gear, and literally every endgame set is exactly the same for us. Its really depressing, and to those that will troll this, you cannot afford to use mod gear, the stat loss is to massive, combined with the set bonuses with the champion set onward.

The same goes for the JK pvp sets. Really space samurai gear? Did you think people rolled Jedi to look like space samurai? That's what they had in mind when they choose Jedi.

Lore, sure, why not. But watching a character that looks the same from lvl 15 to all the way to lvl 50 and will be looking the same after that to the end of the world(?). Oh well...

Even if the game is based on book and movie series world it doesn't mean you can't take a single stray from there. Star Wars universe art design wasn't originally made for MMO game, so why should it be adapted without anything interesting additions to game if its clearly plain boring?

Successful movie art isn't same as successful game art. When you watch movie for a 2-3 hours (x6 =12-18) you're supposed to play the game for hundreds of hours.

(This post is meant to be a half-serious, half-joking mention of what I think is a common complaint for Republic players.)

Use more colors than white, brown, and dark brown, and black. And before you ask, no - grey does not count as "mixing it up."

Smugglers: you got this right, or at least pretty close to it. If there ever was a Space Cowboy, then this was it. I like it. BUT. Why is there a ninja hood and mask? The cowboy hat wasn't cool enough? Or was it just too tricky to make it work with the hair choices?

Troopers: Instead of a neck I have more chins than a Chinese phone book. And my mouth reminds me of a blow-up doll, which is doubly awkward when I'm wielding a giant phallus for a weapon.

Consulars: I'm so, so very sorry.

Seriously, though - there are only two color schemes here: white or grey. You also have a dash of bluish white tinged with grey for accents. Finally, make your choice between "fan" for Sages' and "octopus" for Seers' headgear. If you ever wondered what Princess Amidala would look like as a Jedi, you don't have to wonder anymore.

Knights Not bad, but uninspired. "Wow this Jedi Knight must be really powerful!" "How can you tell?" "He is wearing a hooded robe with shoulderpads on the outside." "...Don't they all wear that?" "Yes, but he wears sunglasses."

My suggestions: Get a more colorful color palette. Neutral colors are boring as hell. Colors are going to add appeal orders of magnitude larger than what we have available now.

Rethink headgear. Full-face helmets don't have to be evil or scary looking, and no more blow-up doll mouths, please. Hell nice-looking collars would be a big step up.

TL;DR: MORE COLORS, LESS STUPID HATS.

P.S.: I would like my ship to resemble something that is not a brick.

Thank you for your opinion, but not everyone thinks the same way you do.

I happen to LOVE smuggler top end. Space cowboy is fitting and I love it. The rest of your comments seem very narrow minded and very much like you've made up your mind regardless of what they offer.

Why would you think everyone wants to look evil and scary looking?

I certainly don't want to be scary looking creeper when I am a galactic-wide hero.

See that's my opinion though, and I don't try to force EVERYONE to feel the same way I do.

I'm relatively ok with the colors. Yes, they can expand their color palette and still have it look right and fit the lore, but the designs are what bug me

My biggest complaint is the "protrusions", ridiculous shoulder pads and the lack of a "hood down" option. Can we have subtle-bad**sery? I want to armor that the guardian was wearing in the opening cinematic (hood DOWN) or the setup the knight has in the "Jedi Starship" wallpaper (Media section > Wallpaper > "Jedi Starship"). Knight has a pretty cool looking aqua & white gear set. It's just sweet and elegant. You can make something subtle, powerful, and proper without having it being a fantasy-spike-protruding glory fest. I was going to fully equip the guardian pvp lvl 40 set...till I got a look at the shoulder guards. No thanks.

Thank you for your opinion, but not everyone thinks the same way you do.

I happen to LOVE smuggler top end. Space cowboy is fitting and I love it. The rest of your comments seem very narrow minded and very much like you've made up your mind regardless of what they offer.

Why would you think everyone wants to look evil and scary looking?

I certainly don't want to be scary looking creeper when I am a galactic-wide hero.

See that's my opinion though, and I don't try to force EVERYONE to feel the same way I do.

What makes you think I want republic to look big and scary? Just because I think the color schemes are boring and the hats are dumb doesn't mean I want them to have lightning-spewing skulls for codpieces and dead rats on their shoulders; or something similarly "evil."

What's wrong with making Jedi Guardians look like a (space) knight in shining (space) armor? Or for a consular to look like they're dressed for Senate negotiations as well as front line combat instead of, I dunno... whatever the hell they're dressed like?

And really, I did say I liked the space cowboy look. I was just wondering why it needed a ninja hood - my guess was to cover the hair because it wouldn't work right with the hat model.

Edited by ndruo

You can also think of it in this way.

The Sith is the cool kid, who is always the life of the party. He is the guy who lives everyday like its his last and sleeps with all the hot chicks because he knows he can.

While the Jedi on the other hand is that person who just sucks all the energy out of a room. He is the type of person who walks into a collage party and starts handing out abstinence flyers. Then spends the rest of the night preaching to people on how their sinful behavior his going to cause them to burn in hell. Until he is eventually kicked out by of the party by the Sith in the room.

Edited by ClayPeopleCry

Is the lore for the Old Republic era set in stone?

Why can't it be modified in a way that allows for more epic looking gear.

Yoda is thousands of years away, don't equate this to the movies, because it is set in another time.

The Jedi Order being humble/not flashy IS set in stone.

Hence Epic gear for Jedi would literally be against lore.

If their gear looks like it cost more than 20 bucks, then a Jedi shouldn't be wearing it.

The Jedi Order being humble/not flashy IS set in stone.

Hence Epic gear for Jedi would literally be against lore.

If their gear looks like it cost more than 20 bucks, then a Jedi shouldn't be wearing it.

Says you. HEY EVERYONE, WE GOT MISTER LUCAS OVER HERE. WE CAN'T LOOK COOL BECAUSE THIS GUY SAYS WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO LOOK COOL.

NEVERMIND THAT I NEED ARMOR THAT PROTECTS ME FROM THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPONS IN THE GALAXY, WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT BE DESIGNED BY ALIEN RACES WITH COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AESTHETICS THAN I DO.

I GOTTA LOOK CHEAP. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT A JEDI DOES.

Edited by ndruo