Bioware: Worst MMO Mistakes, Ever?

aquinom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to laugh out loud at this. After nearly 10 years of playing MMOs, the one thing I know for certain is that input from "gamers" destroys games. We gamers have to be the most self-important, self-righteous group on the planet with the least reason to believe that. A game designe by gamers would actually have bears with frikkin' laserbeams coming out of their eyes.

No thanks.

Oh so good games are designed by people who don't play games!?!? That sounds so utterly intelligent..

Edited by Taurusaud

There is an easy answer to all this as to why this is happening.

BioWare is catering to the levelers.

A.) Make 50 bracket so LEVELING PvP is better because LEVELERS are not getting steamrolled.

B.) Release the game with end-game half done and responsiveness crap with more than NPCs around you. But the VO and leveling system is pristine.

C.) Encourage people to re-roll via interviews and responses

D.) The list goes on.

They were told 100 times that end game is what matters but they seemed to think that people would be doing jumping jacks over the fact that they revolutionised the leveling grind. But the sad part is, they ONLY did just that. Everything else feels just as grindy if not more. And I wouldn't even mind THAT as long as they would fix the damn response and GCD stuff.

I am telling you, this problem is being overlooked. Everyone should rage for this to be fixed. It would make a lot of other problems not as bad.

Anyone who thinks Bioware's made the worst mistakes ever has clearly never experienced an MMO launch. I could easily name mistakes for every one of them (excluding a random one here of there that I haven't played) that were far worse than anything we've seen in the last month.

PvP now ruined at level 50 because of ridiculous queue times: clearly it was too early to implement this system, could have also been forseen instead of bowing to the cries of outraged casuals on the forums.

Lack of properly functioning raid master loot system, BoP item trading to group/raid members, ability to pass on all items without them DISAPPEARING, multiple specialization trees, etc. would all exist if you had anyone on staff that had a clue what was going on.

This is all true.

But as a reminder, we could all do with less extremism.

Lemme tell you this if EA/BW keep things this way, this game has nowhere to go but the trash.

Yes, but a handful of rabid fans will defend its every failure.

Just off the top of my head....

-Absurd number of load screens/stupid travel time

-Inability to MIRROR MIRRORED CLASSES

-Blatant Sith favoritism, from class stories to the 'mirrored' abilities to every 'bug'

-Ilum

-Ability Lag

-UI customization

-Optimization issues (a game that looks like it would be cutting edge in 2002 should not have trouble working on mid-range gaming rigs in 2012)

-GTN issues

-Buggy PvE

-Buggy PvP

I mean, that's just sitting here and thinking about what comes to mind. This game had a $300 million budget. Where did it go?

This is a mediocre product at best. Any competent company would NOT have released this. It reeks of 'EA rushed us', but even that is debatable as the game has been in development for an absurdly long time and it lacks even fundamental basics MMOs should have.

SWTOR had its chance and it blew it. It's not going to recover from this and is going to just be another body in the mass grave of MMO failures. If you seriously think that people are going to be rushing to resubscribe to this then you should really go and get professional help.

Ok I take that back your not a fan boy !!!

But isnt that success ?!

It is a success, but what you are not seeing is I dont think TOR is out in asia, there have been around 2 million copies sold so far.

So 2m to wow 3m in non asia? Thats doing pretty good so far.

Meh. They've been fixing bugs non stop since launch. They've released new content and been working to balance the game. Some MMO's are 3+ years old and still have terrible balance and content issues. There are always going to be bugs in MMO's, period. There are always going to be people who blow through content. Certainly there is also never going to be a way to make a game exactly the way each player wants it.

I play the game and just enjoy it for what it is. I don't go into any game expecting it to be everything I ever wanted. I've never played a game that I didn't have some gripes about.

I think a lot of people recently have been hyping games up in their own minds to be something that the developers never promised. They are let down by the ideas and impressions they created based on nothing.

Bioware could have spent another 10 years developing this game. There's an nearly unlimited amounts of features and content that could be added. If you think Bioware should have waited another year to release, then wait a year and come back. I don't mind playing the game sooner and dealing with some issues (in my opinion minor). I personally think there's way more awesome about this game than bad.

In the end it's a game. I accept it for what it is and personally enjoy it.

Edited by fadingdimension

Yes, but a handful of rabid fans will defend its every failure.

Just off the top of my head....

-Absurd number of load screens/stupid travel time

-Inability to MIRROR MIRRORED CLASSES

-Blatant Sith favoritism, from class stories to the 'mirrored' abilities to every 'bug'

-Ilum

-Ability Lag

-UI customization

-Optimization issues (a game that looks like it would be cutting edge in 2002 should not have trouble working on mid-range gaming rigs in 2012)

-GTN issues

-Buggy PvE

-Buggy PvP

I mean, that's just sitting here and thinking about what comes to mind. This game had a $300 million budget. Where did it go?

This is a mediocre product at best. Any competent company would NOT have released this. It reeks of 'EA rushed us', but even that is debatable as the game has been in development for an absurdly long time and it lacks even fundamental basics MMOs should have.

SWTOR had its chance and it blew it. It's not going to recover from this and is going to just be another body in the mass grave of MMO failures. If you seriously think that people are going to be rushing to resubscribe to this then you should really go and get professional help.

Fall into the $300 million trap again I see?

It is a success, but what you are not seeing is I dont think TOR is out in asia, there have been around 2 million copies sold so far.

So 2m to wow 3m in non asia? Thats doing pretty good so far.

Ok I can confirm that it's sold in Asia and even middle east !! many are in my guild !!

and in some countries its getting banned soon cause of raud advertisement.

Ok I can confirm that it's sold in Asia and even middle east !! many are in my guild !!

and in some countries its getting banned soon cause of raud advertisement.

Would Asia be in the red? Meaning they had to order from amazon or ebay out of their country?

I dont know if its officially released in Asia.

I was asking myself these questions when I first started playing the game. The question I kept asking myself was..

"How in the world could any of the Devs have played an MMO before when they made it like this?"

Still wondering.