Why is Republic gameplay so boring?

--Grim--

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved playing my Sentinel...until I played other classes. The ship is most efficient but that's about it. BH is now my favourite class. The dark side seems to get more interesting story options, nicer skills and better looking gear.

Oh except the Esseles totally kicks Black Talon as a flashpoint.

Honest question.

Trooper / Smuggler are ok. The Jedi storylines are snoozefests. And the voice acting sucks. The gear is ugly and.. well you get the idea. Pretty much everyone agrees.

I love playing my Imperial toons. Everything about them is just more fun.

So why is that so? Do the Devs really hate the Republic / Light side that much? Or perhaps they just phoned in their Republic work because they had the flu that day... there must be some reason the Devs failed so badly in making it fun to play Republic.

Anyone have the scuttlebutt and inside infoz? I would really like to know why the Devs favored the Imps..

I don't agree.

The point isn't the face smashing it's that I remembered why I was doing what I was doing. I have a level 22 jedi knight which I played about a day ago and I couldn't tell you anything about the story at all. And betrayal is bland? Shakespeare would like a word with you.

The way your post waas written it did sound a bit as if the face smashing had been the point ;)

And betrayal is not as interesting as it once was. Our society has been saturated with stories and entertainment. Many people look at the characters in a story and think "That guy will betray them". Writers now face the challenge of having a very aware audience... well at least it would be nice if they were. Judging by some people I know awareness is not exactly a word that should be used in the same sentence as them ;)

It still blows my mind that someone would make a SW game and not have real aliens for race selection. Not recolored humans. Cheap, lazy or both?

Does fit the universe; the main characters for all the Star Wars movies, and the majority of the expanded universe, have been human or near-human. Chewbacca (can't speak Basic) and Jar-Jar (is a moron) are the two exceptions most people know.

Honest question.

Trooper / Smuggler are ok. The Jedi storylines are snoozefests. And the voice acting sucks. The gear is ugly and.. well you get the idea. Pretty much everyone agrees.

I love playing my Imperial toons. Everything about them is just more fun.

So why is that so? Do the Devs really hate the Republic / Light side that much? Or perhaps they just phoned in their Republic work because they had the flu that day... there must be some reason the Devs failed so badly in making it fun to play Republic.

Anyone have the scuttlebutt and inside infoz? I would really like to know why the Devs favored the Imps..

matter of opinion.

I find the empire storey lines to be pretty laughable and to be completely un-nuanced. its all comic book level "evil" choices. Quite frankly quite a lot of the empire storeys just dont make much sense.

David Hayter and Nolan North's voice acting do not suck. If they sound a bit too tranquil for your emotional driven rage fest, sorry you hate it. but they are acting like a jedi would sound. I made a fat jedi twi'lek consular and for some reason the voice fits wonderfully.

Did you at least level the Jedi Consular to the 20s where you have to stop the infected Jedi master? If you didn't, then you don' t know what the hell you are talking about.

From what I read on a different forums, have you played the Jedi Knight's story all the way? If not, once again, you don't know what the hell you are talking out.

Smuggler's story is just okay? I mean did you at least make it level 30? Killing the guy who stole your ship, then heading to port nowhere to start a bar fight.

Every story has a slow part. Right now My Sith warrior is at a slow part. I think the Republic's actually builds up momentum. I think I may play more of the REpublic to take a break from the british accents and greyish colors

Edited by jestertron

I watched episode 1 the other day and I was surprised how interesting the characters were compared to the jedi in this. Making jokes all the time, getting angry pretty often, tricking people constantly, Qui-gon even immediately said "Are you an idiot?" the first time he met Jar Jar.

I never thought I'd refer to the starwars movies as a better way to do anything but there you have it. All in all the Jedi are too calm and straight laced and the overall story is a bit boring and pointless (at least for the first 20 levels). When I log onto my sith I remember how I was going to force smash some guy who betrayed me's head into the wall. When I log into one of my jedi I think "why am I collecting chemicals?" or something like that.

Anyway that's my 2-cents.

My Jedi Knight is just like that! I laugh, call people idiots and have sex. so what's the problem?

So why is that so?

Just because you think it's boring doesn't mean everyone else does. Why do people always talk about their opinions on here like they are facts? Maybe you just prefer the Imps and have a bias towards them so you find their stories more interesting.

Im at balmorra for the first time. Im about, i think, 75% through the overall story arc and ill be honest... im thoroughly enjoying it.

Tatooine was a bit rubbish, but i put that down to a lot of sand.

Aldaraan was a bit dull, but i put that down to having to fight for internal dynasties with only a wider nod to the greater struggle raging throughout the galaxy. Still, it was a massive improvement over tatooine.

But balmorra is more like it. Now we're doing the stuff youd expect. My only regret is that im dark side grinding so cant do this place properly goody goody and get the warm cuddly feeling of not only liberating a planet but doing it in the most feel good way possible. :)

I think people are looking for reasons to explain why people are rolling empire over republic and pointing out the story and the aesthetics, when its actually more simple. The more people roll empire, the more people will roll empire in the future.

Too many game mechanics reward the numerically superior faction. Thats really the heart of it all. The stuff about aesthetics was certainly a consideration of the past, but it was painfully evident as more people said theyd roll empire in the lead up to the game, more people realised the side their bread was buttered and made the switch as well.

Still, we all currently only have our perception to go on. Hopefully soon the world pvp team will rise from their dogmatic slumbers and realise you cant put the playerbase in control of everything because they WILL vote with their feet, and they WILL create harmony in the universe by rolling empire en masse (except a few stragglers who are in love with the original star wars and realise that comically, they are precisely reliving episode IV by being massively undermanned and under-powered. Now if only they gave us an impossible death star raid so we could win the game :))

david hayter and nolan north's voice acting do not suck. If they sound a bit too tranquil for your emotional driven rage fest, sorry you hate it. But they are acting like a jedi would sound. I made a fat jedi twi'lek consular and for some reason the voice fits wonderfully.

no i have not made it that far in either of those quests you inconsiderate pile of bantha doo.

What i find strange is that i have 4 republic toons - 1 level 50 and a few in their 20's.

I have 2 imperial toons - 1 level 22 and a level 11.

Now to the strange part,not one of my republic toons has received a "congratulations on reaching level 10 - here is your guide to your class -blah blah" email to my personal email from the bioware team.

Both imperial toons i rolled received emails upon hitting level 10 with class guides ect in them obviously from bioware and to my personal email.

I liked the trooper story and have been waiting years to play one but it certainly does appear that the empire is the favoured faction.

I'm telling you its all about the time period this game is set in. Jedi are free to run around openly. There was no Order 66 yet. If this game were set in the timeframe that the movies were set in it'd be a lot better. The Old Republic timeframe is just boring, period.

Think about it. I'm sure storylines would be more interesting if there was a bounty on every Jedi's head.