HEY GUESS WHAT! Nothing was fixed Attached Screenshot

RoughRaptors

Faction imbalance is faction imbalance. Developers can't force people to join one side over the other.

Developers shouldn't make terrible design decisions by adopting the worst possible model, that has been shown to fail time and again i.e - 2 factions.

Granted with SW the best option of no factions like in Eve Online is probably not an option, but surely they could of the gone the next best route with three factions like in DAOC, surely there are some beings in the SW universe who are neither loyal to the Republic or Empire?

Edited by Zimbles

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is NOT world pvp. World pvp would be putting a cap on the number of empire and republic players who can be in the zone at the same time giving equal numbers. Ilum is full right now with 30 republic players and probably 70 empire (assuming the cap is 100). World pvp is something FUN it is NOT being zergged down by a 2+:1 ratio at 5 fps.

World PvP is something that just happens while you are questing or adventuring, not a scripted 'zone' event used to farm pvp objectives.

Edited by MogKuppooo

need more turrets outside the base to give a safe zone, and i meant TURRETS, that have aoe splash damage of like 50K give people a chance to get out of the base and have some options..

also incentives to join underpopulated side with bonuses to XP and CR for example so underpopulated side levels up easier and has more coin

This is NOT world pvp. World pvp would be putting a cap on the number of empire and republic players who can be in the zone at the same time giving equal numbers. Ilum is full right now with 30 republic players and probably 70 empire (assuming the cap is 100). World pvp is something FUN it is NOT being zergged down by a 2+:1 ratio at 5 fps.

I'm sorry but that is not WORLD PVP but rather battleground/warzone PVP. The idea of battlegrounds is that two equally matched groups go up against each other. World PVP has always been a zerg rush and about who has more numbers.

That was world PVP in every online game to date. If you don't like zerg PVP then don't goto a world PVP zone.

As much as I hate to say it, Ilum needs to be removed as a Open PvP area and Implemented into a PvP war zone. There is no open PvP worth doing in this game. Only reason Ilum was there before was a place to mess around while ques where poping which is much better than whatever its purpose is now.

Love the Screen shot...

Die Republic scum.

Virgin.

Under 14 years old or could be american.

Frustrated with a lot of real life issues that the feeling of transcending into a virtual world and being part of the zerg confers him a sense of personal accomplishment.

Love the way you just reduced your entire faction.

So would you have been fine if the majority of people played Republic, and having that faction overwhelming the Imps?

The problem here is with the people, not necessarily the game. The franchise created a very popular side (The Empire) for people to play. People chose to play one side more than the other.

Lets face it, if 100 Jedi came to your aid, you wouldn't have made this post. The problem, therefore, is not enough Republic players on your server, at that given time, that cared to come to your aid or participate in the battle.

How do you propose any company "Force" people to play on another faction to even things out, for open world pvp? Or at least, what is considered "Open World" in this game.

"tenacity"

World PvP is something that just happens while you are questing or adventuring, not a scripted 'zone' event used to farm pvp objectives.

/thread you have won the internets.

World PvP is this. You getting ganked while questing, you in turn hunt them down and then he brings friends, you bring friends, and you've got yourself a brawl. It's about faction pride.

When I got ganked on hoth, did i complain, no, i hunted his sorc butt and stomped it into the ground. oh he brought friends....

/1 huge fight at x, bring friends

massive brawl ensues, and this was before we got valor for world pvp.

Warhammer had the right idea with rvr lakes and keeps. this allowed order to ninja cap a whole area before the destro zerg showed up. and if destro were zerging a zone, we'd run to keeps to defend it which was easier with less numbers. We had healers on the ramparts healing tanks and melee dps at the doors. pooring boiling water and canoning people. It was the most fun i've ever had.

In order to fix this pvp zone shenanagans, they need to get rid of illum and make it a 50 quest chain. Implement strongholds and cities to invade. Warhammer's pve wasn't that good but it had the best open world pvp i've ever played. On my server in warhammer, order had first crack at the inevitable city even when we were out numbered 2-3:1.

More 50s = more 50s for imps to fight so I highly suggest they give xp caps or scale republic questing so that it takes a shorter time to get to 50 on the rep side than it does for the imps. making the leveling population get to endgame faster but leavng the imps at the standard rate.

World PvP is this. You getting ganked while questing, you in turn hunt them down and then he brings friends, you bring friends, and you've got yourself a brawl. It's about faction pride.

When I got ganked on hoth, did i complain, no, i hunted his sorc butt and stomped it into the ground. oh he brought friends....

There is one current, very large flaw with this idea of world pvp and the way it works. Let me use today on Ilum as an example. There were two instances of Ilum. One instance desperately needed republic help, and people were trying to switch to that instance (Ilum 1) while most were stuck on Ilum 2. The Imperials weren't leaving Ilum 1 because they had us camped in our base, and Ilum 1 was locked due to the instance being full. Empire was not leaving, republic could not get in. It stayed a huge, imbalanced ratio with no chance of fighting back. You cannot win a 30v70 in this game. That right there is the flaw. In this scenario, there is no "bringing friends". It is about a severe imbalance that made it impossible for us to fight back.

Edited by RoughRaptors

What i was refering to is not ilum but other worlds that aren't capped or have low populations.

illum is a mess and as an RVR lake, fails miserably. There's nothing for us to hold or keep, there's no barriers to help us defend. just ZERG THE MAIN BASE,.

This is why DAoCs 3 factions was so genius. It's the only game that had successful open world PvP for a long time. Also a good group of 8 could take 2-4X (or more) their numbers because CC was so crazy. Zerg busting was amazing.

Why oh why will no big MMO go to 3 factions?

I agree, this MMO is begging to have 3 factions.

I agree, I haven't seen good World PvP since Vanilla WoW. I loved it, and SWG PvP (on my server Tarquinas, at least, it was awesome) before it.

Exactly. And this is where I am very very happy to have the server forums coming online; it will allow for coordination of the factions and hopefully open up real world PvP with coordination between guilds, strategy and planning, and of course cross factional trash talk :D

I'd also love to see more battles on other worlds too, although we are starting to see that more and more. I think it adds a certain realism to the tensions between Imps and Reps.

Server forums coming online? I must have missed that announcement. That would be great!

Developers shouldn't make terrible design decisions by adopting the worst possible model, that has been shown to fail time and again i.e - 2 factions.

Granted with SW the best option of no factions like in Eve Online is probably not an option, but surely they could of the gone the next best route with three factions like in DAOC, surely there are some beings in the SW universe who are neither loyal to the Republic or Empire?

Well you'd have to define what is considered "fail". Failure doesn't mean the games you don't play. WoW, for example, is banking money hand over fist. And as BW has mentioned, they've modeled a lot after WoW. Whether that is truly a good thing or not still remains to be seen.

There are other 2 faction MMO's that are profiting. Just because we don't see them on mainstream discussions, doesn't mean they're not doing well, relative to their revenue.

Then the other question is how they would implement a 3rd faction and still be relatively canon within the Star Wars Universe. The majority of the stories talk about Light and Dark side. So it's essentially Sith vs Jedi. How would you keep to Star Wars canon and keep to Lucas' vision (take it for what it's worth)? That is a big restriction when developing any game that is trying to keep within the boundaries of the franchise.

Edited by Lazorous

So would you have been fine if the majority of people played Republic, and having that faction overwhelming the Imps?

The problem here is with the people, not necessarily the game. The franchise created a very popular side (The Empire) for people to play. People chose to play one side more than the other.

Lets face it, if 100 Jedi came to your aid, you wouldn't have made this post. The problem, therefore, is not enough Republic players on your server, at that given time, that cared to come to your aid or participate in the battle.

How do you propose any company "Force" people to play on another faction to even things out, for open world pvp? Or at least, what is considered "Open World" in this game.

If the situation was opposite, someone on the Empire would've made the post and been just as correct.

But, my advice is keep pretending that it's okay -- evetually more Republic will leave the game or roll Empire, and then when it starts taking the Emps a week to do dailies because there aren't 30 republic to be found, perhaps it will be time to do something.

Bad pvp environments are not the place to impose a "suck it up" mentality -- people leave or stop pvping, and it adversely impacts the entire population.

If the situation was opposite, someone on the Empire would've made the post and been just as correct.

But, my advice is keep pretending that it's okay -- evetually more Republic will leave the game or roll Empire, and then when it starts taking the Emps a week to do dailies because there aren't 30 republic to be found, perhaps it will be time to do something.

Bad pvp environments are not the place to impose a "suck it up" mentality -- people leave or stop pvping, and it adversely impacts the entire population.

The exact same thing happened in WoW when Horde completely overpopulated and many servers were overrun by Horde taking pvp objectives, and/or dominating the world pvp scene.

By your logic, WoW should have failed. It did not.

There's much to be seen how things will work itself out in the future.

Hey Bioware guess what you did by making it so they couldn't spawn camp us in our base? The exact thing that I said would happen, they are now simply camping us...OUTSIDE OF OUR BASE! On both sides, there are probably ~20-30 imperials sitting at the central outpost as well preventing any republic from collecting armaments. Good job on the "fix". More of a reason to not pay you on the 21st.

The 5-10 fps also doesn't help at all.

http://imageshack.us/f/594/screenshot2012011915110.jpg/

At least you get 5 fps, my game just crashes

The exact same thing happened in WoW when Horde completely overpopulated and many servers were overrun by Horde taking pvp objectives, and/or dominating the world pvp scene.

By your logic, WoW should have failed. It did not.

There's much to be seen how things will work itself out in the future.

Nothing worked itself out on it's own, do you not remember all the changes they put in place to even things out?

The solution has to come from the game developers, and thus far I have zero confidence BW even has a clue how to begin addressing the situations they created.

Edited by Drakks

Maybe, just maybe, since you knew this was going to happen you would have the clever idea of opening your powers and clicking on that good ole emergency fleet transport instead of feeding the zerg the skimpy morsel of your corpse. But then i guess being smart about something and using common sense isn't really sensational enough to post on the forums.

Simple solution to your problem,

1) leave ilum

2) gather friends (no friends? ask random people to join you)

3) Stick it to the fools that ate you for lunch.

4) Make a forum post about how great it felt to stand up like a man and get some revenge.

We tried that yesterday, didnt work too well even after having a group of 10 or so

Lag and 4 or 5 to 1 odds is too much imbalance even for the most organized guild or op

Groups of 5 or 6 max, 10 at most, bigger than that and its unplayable

Nothing worked itself out on it's own, do you not remember all the changes they put in place to even things out?

The solution has to come from the game developers, and thus far I have zero confidence BW even has a clue how to begin addressing the situations they created.

When I said work itself out, I was referring to Bioware working itself out. I was suggesting to see how things will turn out when Bioware adds more content in the future.

Again, the situation is exactly the same as wow. The beginning of wow, with many issues, people had no confidence in Blizzard's developers either. So again, based on your logic, WoW should have failed.

It is your rightful opinion what you think of their developers. But it is not fact, nor conclusive evidence to suggest the game's failure.