Is there any real reason to play a Sniper over a Sorc?

Renroval

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would rather be a secret agent with a sniper rifle than a brooding sith? Really though, unless there is a serious imbalance, rolling a class based on what is powerful at the moment will always be a bad idea in MMOs. These things don't last.

Besides, no one actually knows if the Inquisitor deals more damage or not, it's just speculation at the time. I often hear people say the Sniper/Gunslinger is potentially the game's most damaging class. Who knows for sure until we get combat logs and damage meters?

The game is still young and people are still figuring things out. Relax and enjoy the class you love, because it won't stay like this forever.

Edited by TrollBerzerker

You would rather be a secret agent with a sniper rifle than a brooding sith? Really though, unless there is a serious imbalance, rolling a class based on what is powerful at the moment will always be a bad idea in MMOs. These things don't last.

Besides, no one actually knows if the Inquisitor deals more damage or not, it's just speculation at the time. I often hear people say the Sniper/Gunslinger is potentially the game's most damaging class. Who knows for sure until we get combat logs and damage meters?

I suppose this is true. It's just that sith sorc is so...easy. I feel like snipers got the short end of the stick.

I would love to see you prove a equivalently skilled and geared Sorc always does more dps than a Sniper, especially with no in game data provided for us whatsoever, i.e. combat log. Without a tool like that, the only real reason to play any class is because you enjoy it more.

Do you play both classes? I mean, it sounds like you do, but it's worth asking.

Yes I do. While I love my IA character more, I want to be useful in ops and hard modes. I love to DPS and I want to be able to put out the best kind of DPS rather than subpar DPS.

Yes I do. While I love my IA character more, I want to be useful in ops and hard modes. I love to DPS and I want to be able to put out the best kind of DPS rather than subpar DPS.

You will not be useless on hardmodes or in ops. Your class is built from the ground up to be a damage dealer. Your three trees only dictate how you deal damage, not your role.

This isn't a case like with, for example, the Jedi Guardian's damage tree being subpar. The Guardian has a tanking tree and a damage tree, so that is harder for the devs to balance. The sniper's entire job is to kill things. If you cannot fulfill that role, then Bioware will fix you.

I also don't think you will be subpar. If you truly think your damage is lacking, try a different spec. You do have three to choose from, and it's entirely possible that the one you picked might be a little underpowered compared to the other two, or even that one tree might outshine the other two.

How about the fact that almost all Agent loot will belong to you since everyone has an Inquisitor as either their main or an alt, but only the few actually play Agents.

Sniper and Sorc DPS isn't totally off, Snipers do some amazing damage.

I would also consider Sniper if you NEVER want to heal. We've actually made people in our guild respec their Sorcs so that we could run Ops. Never gonna get a Raid Leader to ask you to swap from Marksmanship to Engineering I bet.

Sorcs do more damage.

Sorcs have better utility.

Sorcs have better mobility.

Sorcs are far more useful in damage and utility that sorcs in any hard modes/operations.

So why play a sniper in any aspect of PVE in this game?

Because it's more fun :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my Sorc as well, but the way the Sniper plays appeals to me more.

It's a game after all, it's all about having fun.

Sorcs do more damage.

Sorcs are far more useful in damage and utility that sorcs in any hard modes/operations.

Untill someone comes up with a reliable way to parse the damage logs, thats just guessing.

I would love to see you prove a equivalently skilled and geared Sorc always does more dps than a Sniper, especially with no in game data provided for us whatsoever, i.e. combat log. Without a tool like that, the only real reason to play any class is because you enjoy it more.

take a mob with really high hp and low damage, run a chronometer and time both?

you know, the analog way has worked for twosands of years, you dont really need fancy digital thingies to get replicable data.

Currently sniper/gunslinger damage is the easiest to mitigate. If the enemies you're fighting has any defense/shield then the sniper damage will become significantly lower. This is the case unless the sniper/gunslinger spec dot tree, in which they are really subpar to sorc in the dot damage. Edited by shadowAI

How about the fact that almost all Agent loot will belong to you since everyone has an Inquisitor as either their main or an alt, but only the few actually play Agents.

Sniper and Sorc DPS isn't totally off, Snipers do some amazing damage.

I would also consider Sniper if you NEVER want to heal. We've actually made people in our guild respec their Sorcs so that we could run Ops. Never gonna get a Raid Leader to ask you to swap from Marksmanship to Engineering I bet.

Actually, loot part is true. After all, we have about 8 sorcs already readying up for 16man ops.

Question is, if sorcs do more damage than snipers in the end, what is the point of being a sniper at that point?

Sorcs do more damage.

How do you know that they do more damage?

Also, having too many sorcs would be hard to gear them.

In another note, i liked the IA story better.

Also, snipers have more range.

Edited by GengisKahn

How do you know that they do more damage?
I've not done the analysis myself, but if true, its' rather easy to determine via maths. We know all the formula, inputs, variables and diminishing returns already.

Also, having too many sorcs would be hard to gear them.
Very true.

In another note, i liked the IA story better.
Personal preference. :D

Also, snipers have more range.
False. Or, if true, I'm unable to substantiate. Which Sniper damaging ability gives more than 30m range? (Diversion has a 35m range but does no damage.)

Currently sniper/gunslinger damage is the easiest to mitigate. If the enemies you're fighting has any defense/shield then the sniper damage will become significantly lower. This is the case unless the sniper/gunslinger spec dot tree, in which they are really subpar to sorc in the dot damage.

Testing is showing that sorc damage is also being mitigated.

Sniper dps is at least as strong as sorc. I have both and would be shocked sis sorc eventually parses higher.

It's a passive you get when you select your advanced class :)

Addendum: Previously 10m abilities like Overload Shot get boosted to 30m as well.

And the name of the passive is ...?

I'm not asking to be an ***. I literally can't find evidence that it exists on any of the database sites I'm familiar with, and find myself unwilling to go through every sniper ability in the game's data files when I could instead ask for more information.

And the name of the passive is ...?

I'm not asking to be an ***. I literally can't find evidence that it exists on any of the database sites I'm familiar with, and find myself unwilling to go through every sniper ability in the game's data files when I could instead ask for more information.

I don't remember the name and can't check it in-game right now as I'm not on a PC that has the game installed. Let me see if I can find it off a guide, I'll edit this post if I do.

Ep, found it! Here you go :)

Edited by archifikoss