Need help boosting my computer's in-game performance

spartanxxxx

Hello everyone!

I've been playing TOR since launch and so far I love almost everything about the game. My only hang up is that my computer has a tough time running the game at a decent speed even with everything set to "Low" and I'm not exactly sure what the problem is.

Let me give you some details of my system. It's from 2002 with relatively few upgrades, so that could explain why I'm having some issues. If you need anymore information, please let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.4ghz

Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0J3492

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

RAM: 3070 MB

So does anybody have any suggestions? Do I need a new processor and/or graphics card? If so, any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't really care about setting the game on the highest settings, so much as just having a smooth ride at moderate display settings.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have!

I'm NOT trying to be a smarty here, but the only suggestion I have is an upgrade. The machine is too old to run the game properly even on low settings. A more up to date budget machine is enough to run the game on lower settings and will be a much better experience for you.

Cryss

I'm NOT trying to be a smarty here, but the only suggestion I have is an upgrade. The machine is too old to run the game properly even on low settings. A more up to date budget machine is enough to run the game on lower settings and will be a much better experience for you.

Cryss

It's cool, no need to feel like you're being smart about it. I appreciate your honesty! I figured that this machine might finally be ready to throw in the towel. Lol.

Do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions for a computer that might have any easier time running the game? I'm looking in the $200-$500 range I suppose.

Yeah I agree, as I'm sure many others will also, that your system is a bit old for SWTOR.

I have a core2duo o/s @ 3.2Ghz, a GTX460 (o/c), with 4GB RAM @ 1066 and I'm looking to upgrade because with custom settings my fps drops to around 25 sometimes (some options high some low, some off) - all running at x1080.

I would head over to tom's hardware, they've done some benchmarking on swtor.

As a guide, I'm lookling at the i5 2500k, with something like a GTX560Ti (2GB). That should play it nice and smooth on high gfx.

Yeah I agree, as I'm sure many others will also, that your system is a bit old for SWTOR.

I have a core2duo o/s @ 3.2Ghz, a GTX460 (o/c), with 4GB RAM @ 1066 and I'm looking to upgrade because with custom settings my fps drops to around 25 sometimes (some options high some low, some off) - all running at x1080.

I would head over to tom's hardware, they've done some benchmarking on swtor.

As a guide, I'm lookling at the i5 2500k, with something like a GTX560Ti (2GB). That should play it nice and smooth on high gfx.

I will second the I5 2500k and the 560ti.

Currently I am running

8gigs of ram

560ti

and have almost no issues but a 2500k will work just as well.

I also will recommend an upgrade. Have you ever built a box? Ever wanted to? I really like the PC Perspective Hardware Leader board. They update it weekly and it always has 4 different tiers of machines. They know their parts and what is a good value and what isn't. When I haven't been paying attention to what is good for a while, I visit it and get caught up pretty quickly. They have links to all the parts on Newegg(a great site also)

http://pcper.com/hwlb

Take a look at the budget system. If you have a salvageable SATA drive you could probably save 100$ on the drive. If you do end up building a system don't forget to factor in the cost of Windows. Get an OEM copy of windows and you can save yourself some good money over a retail copy.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Happy gaming

Hi i had the same problem and i upgraded really cheap. you dont need to spend alot if you use most of your old pc. Now i have it running at 1900x1080 at low settings very smooth. heres what i replaced:

8 gb ddr3 1600 memory $40

AMD processor xenon II 2800 $40

radeon 5770 1gb video $100

motherboard $50

This was half a year ago so i think it would cost less than $200 total by now, i can also play need for speed world high res and high graphics so im really pleased :)

Hello everyone!

I've been playing TOR since launch and so far I love almost everything about the game. My only hang up is that my computer has a tough time running the game at a decent speed even with everything set to "Low" and I'm not exactly sure what the problem is.

Let me give you some details of my system. It's from 2002 with relatively few upgrades, so that could explain why I'm having some issues. If you need anymore information, please let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.4ghz

Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0J3492

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

RAM: 3070 MB

So does anybody have any suggestions? Do I need a new processor and/or graphics card? If so, any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't really care about setting the game on the highest settings, so much as just having a smooth ride at moderate display settings.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have!

Cheapest i could come up with is $352 that will run it nice mid settings without the shadows and stuff and thats if you can reuse your HDD and CD/DVD drive they got to be SATA and not IDE must 0 the drive first and have a copy of windows that does not say Dell/Gateway on it. If not add $200 using your mouse, keyboard, and Monitor i can link it to you if you wish. This is building it yourself or help from a friend also i can link a easy to follow youtube video on how to build one it's really easy as long as you get all working parts.

Just pulled up your motherboard specks and it has 1 IDE conector so either your CD/DVD or HDD is using it

Edited by blowmedown

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.