I see the way it is going :(

calranthe

Long ago in EQ, a small minority of hard core players began to challenge the dev's, any new quest/raid/mob these groups would kill destroy win..

now that is not a bad thing in its own but as time went on more and more content was nerfed and engineered towards this small percentage, the result was a growing percentage of content within the game went out of reach of small guilds and casual players.

In SWTOR we have had a few changes lately with the same mold, slicing, yes it paid out too much but once again it was a small percentage of people who abused it, cybertech, a small percentage of people abused it.

And now without notice as far as I know all pvp gear has more than doubled in price, great for those that pvp all day but not for those of us who play this game for its story or casual play.

Thanks bioware, now we know who you are going to cater for.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long ago in EQ, a small minority of hard core players began to challenge the dev's, any new quest/raid/mob these groups would kill destroy win..

now that is not a bad thing in its own but as time went on more and more content was nerfed and engineered towards this small percentage, the result was a growing percentage of content within the game went out of reach of small guilds and casual players.

In SWTOR we have had a few changes lately with the same mold, slicing, yes it paid out too much but once again it was a small percentage of people who abused it, cybertech, a small percentage of people abused it.

And now without notice as far as I know all pvp gear has more than doubled in price, great for those that pvp all day but not for those of us who play this game for its story or casual play.

Thanks bioware, now we know who you are going to cater for.

Your statements are mutually exclusive to one another. Would you please draw the line of correlation between the two.

If you play the game for story why do you need top-end PVP gear? I don't understand.

Your statements are mutually exclusive to one another. Would you please draw the line of correlation between the two.

Easily, in EQ hardcore players, raid people and large guilds continually beat the system forcing the dev's to re-engineer the content to challenge them or remove/nerf skills/items to slow them down.

This mostly actually punished the normal player.

In SWTOR it is these same types of people who abuse things like slicing, like pvping 24/7 in groups grinding out the commendations, so bioware has to increase prices of items, but who gets hurt, the casual players who pvp now and then but now it will take like 3 times longer for them to get decent gear.

If you play the game for story why do you need top-end PVP gear? I don't understand.

To be fair the basic pvp gear for lvl 20 has been doubled as well, in fact using a little mathematics and assuming you win and lose an equal amount of games it is now physically impossible to get the complete level 20 set before you out level it even if you just PvP.

Easily, in EQ hardcore players, raid people and large guilds continually beat the system forcing the dev's to re-engineer the content to challenge them or remove/nerf skills/items to slow them down.

In SWTOR it is these same types of people who abuse things like slicing, like pvping 24/7 in groups grinding out the commendations, so bioware has to increase prices of items, but who gets hurt, the casual players who pvp now and then but now it will take like 3 times longer for them to get decent gear.

As was said, if you are a casual, normal player, why do you need top PvP gear? This is the argument that "pro" gamers will always use, and generally win with it. The game is definitely going in that direction at the moment.

Im hoping they do the smart thing and drop the price on it when they put in a new tier of equip. but that will have to wait for now. Being a casual pvper i dont mind paying for pieces. it gives me something to work towards even slowly.

But As a casual pvper what i hate is feeling so far behind i can never catch up. It is never a problem with one tier of equip. since at most someone is has the full set i am working on. Not a big deal.

When we get more, then we will see.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have the skill, time or strategies, you shouldn't be rewarded with top end gear. Casual gamers shouldn't be allowed access to the gear and items that elite raiders are privy to. I see no issue with this at all.

I used to be a hardcore raider, now I am a casual gamer. I do not believe that I should be able to get the most ultimate items in the game. I accept this and play the game the way I play the game. I adjust my play style to the game, I don't expect the game to adjust to my play style.

In short: No, you can't have it, it's not yours... unless you put in the effort to get it. No rewards for no effort.

So I should be denied content?

If you don't put in the same amount of time as others then yes. Do you think you would get a promotion at work over someone that worked twice as hard as you do? No. Stop crying and deal with it.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have the skill, time or strategies, you shouldn't be rewarded with top end gear. Casual gamers shouldn't be allowed access to the gear and items that elite raiders are privy to. I see no issue with this at all.

I used to be a hardcore raider, now I am a casual gamer. I do not believe that I should be able to get the most ultimate items in the game. I accept this and play the game the way I play the game. I adjust my play style to the game, I don't expect the game to adjust to my play style.

In short: No, you can't have it, it's not yours... unless you put in the effort to get it. No rewards for no effort.

I'm still trying to find an MMO that takes skill, mostly it has always just been a timesink from huge raids in EQ to small raids in WoW. Not much skill, all you really needed was a group that could follow basic instructions.

But As a casual pvper what i hate is feeling so far behind i can never catch up. It is never a problem with one tier of equip. since at most someone is has the full set i am working on. Not a big deal.

When we get more, then we will see.

I'm sorry you don't have the time or skill or whatever to be an elite gamer, but rewarding you for non-effort is asinine. If you feel like you are being left behind it's because you are. But, you obviously have other things in life that are far more important to you instead of the game, otherwise you wouldn't be a casual gamer, now would you?

Should the fry cook be paid as much as the manager of a restaurant? he puts in the effort, but he doesn't have the skills needed to run the restaurant, and odds are, the manager puts in a WHOLE lot more time than the fry cook. The fry cook is not rewarded as much as the manager.

If you don't put in the same amount of time as others then yes. Do you think you would get a promotion at work over someone that worked twice as hard as you do? No. Stop crying and deal with it.

Work is definitely the operative word when it comes to this game.

I'm still trying to find an MMO that takes skill, mostly it has always just been a timesink from huge raids in EQ to small raids in WoW. Not much skill, all you really needed was a group that could follow basic instructions.

I agree! Circle gets the square!

I'll add an addendum of: Skill equals the player knowing his class and it's strengths and weaknesses and knowing how to properly use abilities and being able to react in a timely manner with those said abilities. That's as far as skill goes in games.

And I would guess that you were one of the ppl that have got the pvp sets before they jacked up the cost am I right.

And in regards to your analogy you got it the wrong way round the people who are pvping now are the ones that are going to have to work twice as hard as they doubled the token cost of the pre 50 pvp gear.

so in other words your taking rubbish

First of all, as a "hardcore" player in EQ and EQ2, I will say that while some development was directed at higher end guilds and players, it didn't take away significantly from the majority of the game. In fact, it probably helped make the game better.

Also, EQ wasn't a game for casual players. Period.

A company wanting to cater toward the 10 or 15 percent that keeps coming back isn't a foolish practice to engage in.

I'm not sure exactly why you're so upset. BioWare made a very, surprisingly, good explanation about BioChem and CyberTech. One that I hope they continue to follow up on with future announcements.

If you feel that these games are developed and catered toward an elite few of raiders and guilds, then your feelings are most likely misplaced. Content is developed and engineered for the community as a whole, there is nothing stopping you from reaching level 50 and doing the hard mode flashpoints and operations when you arrive.

Good day and godspeed citizen.

Y'all are missing a couple of vital points here with the "reward hard work" argument:

First and foremost.....it's a game. A game people are paying to play and not getting paid to play.

Second, gear bonuses in PvP games are stupid. Why? B/c they cover up that skill thing that you all like to go on and on about. If you are skilled, you can win in the same gear that everyone else does. The conflation of trophy (something that shows accomplishment) and gear (something that gives a material advantage) has been the bane of many a PvP game.

And I would guess that you were one of the ppl that have got the pvp sets before they jacked up the cost am I right.

And in regards to your analogy you got it the wrong way round the people who are pvping now are the ones that are going to have to work twice as hard as they doubled the token cost of the pre 50 pvp gear.

so in other words your taking rubbish

It was easy to get though, I got all the level 20 pieces doing less than 10 warzones on my PvP alt. So now you have to do 20? Big deal.

To be fair the basic pvp gear for lvl 20 has been doubled as well, in fact using a little mathematics and assuming you win and lose an equal amount of games it is now physically impossible to get the complete level 20 set before you out level it even if you just PvP.

I got the level 20 set before I hit 20, and I got 2 sets of level 40 gear before I hit 40, it takes a little over 1k warzone comms for a full set, that is easily gained in a day. If you need comms, go for medals, and if you're good you'll get medals while still getting objectives, also, if your teammates are nice they'll actually give out MVP votes which are a nice bonus.

Almost no MMO takes any real depth of skill to play; the skill ceiling is VERY low for all of them; the one glaring exception I can think of is EVE Online. MMOs in general don't thrive on requiring players to be highly skilled.

So I should be denied content?

I think you misunderstand something here. You aren't being denied anything. You have the same opportunity to achieve that content that anyone else has. People who concentrate on PVP are being rewarded for their efforts. If you have the same dedication to the same difficult PVP work, you will achieve the same reward. If you don't put in the same work and effort, you won't achieve that reward. If instead of PVP you pick flowers on your PVE quest, you'll gain a lot more materials for crafting or selling than someone who concentrates on PVP. Are they being denied that content? Nope, you're being rewarded for that style of play.

Not every playstyle gets the same thing. Equal opportunity does not mean the same thing as equal outcome.

quit nitpicking, the OP has a point

And the point is: He wants rewards without the work. That is not how the world works, and it disconcerting that people would expect this.

EDIT:

To address this further: A small portion of the players are able to reap rewards through time logged in the game repeating a specific task or single mindedness towards a goal, and they reap the rewards successfully! His concern is that a small portion of the player base is able to get things quickly and when the developers find these rewards are given in a much smaller time frame than expected, due to a myriad of reasons, they up the goal to get the reward. The OP is not happy that he is never one of the few that get these rewards before they are put out of reach of ease. The cookie jar is no longer on the table, it's on top of the refrigerator.

In all areas of life there will be those lucky few that learn to work the system and get a shortcut before the loophole is closed. By not being either bright enough, lucky enough, or forward thinking enough, the masses get left behind and cry foul. This is the way life goes.

Again, I am sorry people don't get to reap the rewards by being a casual player, but that's the way these games are built. Those that invest more time and effort will be rewarded more than people like myself than spend a few hours during the work week logged in and less than a dozen on the weekends. These games are my entertainment and not my measuring stick to success in life. I have real life goals to achieve and would rather be successful outside the game than in it.

Edited by QDMcGraw
further contemplation