Game virtually unplayable now, can't even tell when my cooldowns are on properly.

SunwindIon

I didn't have an issue with this. I noticed 2 things previously when my ability is on cool down. The button was grey and there was this glowy line through it. Now the grey part is gone but the glowy line is still there. Sooo if I see the glowy line I know it's still on CD.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to say it's unplayable, but I've spent about an hour-ish online since the patch due to this change. As a noobish MMO guy, I tend to stare at my GCDs enough already and given time(or fresh character) I could probably re-re-adapt, but right now, I really don't feel up for dealing with it.

I support:

Temporary revert

Number Overlays

Other High-Contrast/Obvious solutions

I didn't have an issue with this. I noticed 2 things previously when my ability is on cool down. The button was grey and there was this glowy line through it. Now the grey part is gone but the glowy line is still there. Sooo if I see the glowy line I know it's still on CD.

The problem is with some icons the "glowy line" blend in very well with the icon.

The other problem is that when you get down to the last 5% ish of the CD the "glowly line" pretty much completely merges into the bottom of the icon, however dispite being effectively invisible (especially if you're busy watching 11 abilities ALL on CDs) this ability can still have a good 7+ second left on it's CD (this for an ability of 1 min ish).

It's a really bad change.

I don't understand why they don't do something simple, like have a counter on the button with how many seconds/minutes left on the CD.

That would be copying WoW and/or every other MMO that came out in the last 5 years.

The problem is with some icons the "glowy line" blend in very well with the icon.

The other problem is that when you get down to the last 5% ish of the CD the "glowly line" pretty much completely merges into the bottom of the icon, however dispite being effectively invisible (especially if you're busy watching 11 abilities ALL on CDs) this ability can still have a good 7+ second left on it's CD (this for an ability of 1 min ish).

It's a really bad change.

This.

This definitely needs to be changed back. I'm not sure why it was changed in the first place. If you can't use a skill it should be grayed out as it was.

For your skills that have like 2-6 sec CDs, this change is fine. Try using one of your long CD skills, and then look at your skill once the CD is running out. It might look like a skill is available, but you could still have quite a bit of time left.

I was perfectly happy with skills being grayed out until the CD was up. Who exactly was asking for this change? :confused:

One of the worst examples I have seen is when my "dissappearing act" is on its 3 minute cooldown, if I mouse over it I am shown a minute by minute countdown as in three seperate 60 second countdowns?!?!?!?!?!?!?" How are any of those countdowns supposed to help me at all when I glance at it because there is absolutely no indication if that is minute 1,2, or 3 all I can see is at what point the current 60 second countdone is at. Mindboggling how that could still be in the game....:confused: and if I was Bioware I would be :o

This is the worst example I have personally seen when it comes to an MMO developer leaving something like this post launch, is this meant to trick me into thinking that my dissappearing act is coming back sooner? Because if thats the case you have succeeded at least until I stopped mousing over anything to see where the cooldown was at because NONE of that information is any use at all!!!!

Edited by Rahl_Windsong

numbers bioware! they are beautiful and precise way to tell the player how long is left on ability's or item's cooldown!

a gui isn't about obfuscation and ambiguity. it's about clarity and usability. ui design 101, take some classes.

For your skills that have like 2-6 sec CDs, this change is fine. Try using one of your long CD skills, and then look at your skill once the CD is running out. It might look like a skill is available, but you could still have quite a bit of time left.

I was perfectly happy with skills being grayed out until the CD was up. Who exactly was asking for this change? :confused:

I suspect it's something like, this is the way the system was originally intended, and the grayed-out version was some sort of workaround so they could get the game out in time, and then they implemented the WAI version - which is much prettier.

But if this is the case, then they should know that the WAI version is less functional. It really is quite bad, especially for abilities on long cooldowns where the relative size of the sliver of blue is so tiny you have to peer at it, wasting valuable time in pressured situations.

The system needs to be such that you can check with peripheral vision, or "at a glance", as you could with the previous system.

They don't absolutely have to rollback to the previous system, but they have to do something that at least has the same functionality, not less functionality.

Having to peer at icons and not be focussed on the action is a bad, bad thing.

Edited by gurugeorge

I have tried to adapt to this change, I really have. Stopped playing my sentinel as it was the worst with no color contrast. But I'm still spending more time staring at and fiddling with the hotbar now then enjoying the game.

Please for the love of all that is holy change this back or make there be an option to toggle it back to the old way.

Thanks.

Agreed completely. The icon is difficult to read at exactly the time you're going to read it, i.e., when the ability is almost available again.

It reads fine just after you use a cool down skill, but what use is that? I know it isn't available-- I just used it.

Can't imagine why this was changed.

Agreed completely. The icon is difficult to read at exactly the time you're going to read it, i.e., when the ability is almost available again.

It reads fine just after you use a cool down skill, but what use is that? I know it isn't available-- I just used it.

Can't imagine why this was changed.

This is the best and most susinct way I've seen it explained.

I think I understand what they thought they were fixing, but they effectively broken something much more important in doing so.