No more load screens!!!

DarthKhaos

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be missing something here; are you suggesting that, rather than have a loading screen, you sit in hyperspace while it loads? Doesn't that just mean that rather than not having a loading screen at all, you are replacing a static loading screen with a Dynamic one?

Exactly. This way you can continue that conversation you were having and what not. How else you think a lot of these games handle these large worlds? Wait... You actually think they load the WHOLE thing?

Rather have it the way it is besides there are some quest parts more ofthen than not where you have to be in space to talk to bossman/woman or some other npc and don't get your destination until after that.

You can still have this. Before triggering the landing cutscene or after the take off cutscene they can have this. You still win.

Since this evening, on only one character and only on the fleet, while just traveling around the main level, I get random loading screens that stay up for 2-5 seconds. First time it happened, I thought maybe I accidentally used my Fleet fast travel. Then it happened again about 3 minutes later as I was speeding towards a mail box. Edited by Zebular

Still trying to figure out why there is a loading screen when alt tabbing out and back into the game, its really annoying. Why can't we just alt tab out and back into the game itself, instead of this annoying load screen before the game itself pops back up. :eek:

Since this evening, on only one character and only on the fleet, while just traveling around the main level, I get random loading screens that stay up for 2-5 seconds. First time it happened, I thought maybe I accidentally used my Fleet fast travel. Then it happened again about 3 minutes later as I was speeding towards a mail box.

It happens to me all the time on the fleet (mainly in the inner ring). It's really annoying. I rather prefer having my character stopped for a while if loading, than getting that screen each minute. :mad:

Since this evening, on only one character and only on the fleet, while just traveling around the main level, I get random loading screens that stay up for 2-5 seconds. First time it happened, I thought maybe I accidentally used my Fleet fast travel. Then it happened again about 3 minutes later as I was speeding towards a mail box.

I think its a problem with the recent patch. I've noticed it too. A quick fix will prob handle it. You'll also notice a load screen popping up while a load screen is going on.

Load screens in MMOs as abundant as TOR forces them onto people is sheer madness. Terrible design decision and it affects game play and enjoyment of the world.

Well this is a suggestion to remove it all together. What are your thoughts on the suggestion.

assuming a company who can't even put in anti aliasing correctly can put in a non static game load.

I don't expect much from them. They couldn't even implement high level characters in beta for more than a few hours/days without breaking everything and the characters being barely playable.

Well this is a suggestion to remove it all together. What are your thoughts on the suggestion.

I think it's impossible to remove them altogether.

Just cut them down significantly. Somehow. I'm not a programmer so my contribution ends there but if it's been created from 1s and 0s, it can be changed.

I had LONG load screens on my 4 year old computer but my new one, with SWTOR installed on a SSD flies through them quickly. It's still annoying but at least I don't have to alt tab out and do something else anymore.

Define flies through, because I have a ssd raid with over 1gb/s random read speed, and its still very slow if you ask me. Aion, changed maps in less than a second, SWTOR needs 15+ seconds on some maps. But I suppose they use very different ways of loading the information. I never tried SWTOR on a mechanical disk tho so I have nothing to compare with really, but I did run a program to check how much bandwith or what you should call it the swtor.exe was using when I launched the game. And it used on average 86mb/sec, horrible really I know, but the hdd light on the front blinks once then theres a long pause, then it blinks once again and a long pause, and so on. Not sure how I can improve anything further, feels like I did it all.

If you got any tips you're welcome to share them. :)

I rather have them reduce the loading times drastically. There should be no need for such a thing as a loading screen in a modern MMO. If you can't implement it yourself ask Blizzard whom to hire.

This is unavoidable due to varying hardware specs. Note people are asking for more graphic intensive renders.

After todays patch, i got loading screen even in middle of elevator black screen, loading screen in loading screen and loading screen (like half of WZs loading screen, switch to universal loading screen and then back to rest of WZs loading screen) even in middle of fight inside WZ.

Same here. I have loading screens on top of a loading screen. :( :(

When I alt-tab out while loading a planet and then come back, I get the standard TOR loading screen FIRST THEN IT LOADS to planet loading screen. :eek: :eek: :eek: like really, wth.

Edited by MilkPudding

Still trying to figure out why there is a loading screen when alt tabbing out and back into the game, its really annoying. Why can't we just alt tab out and back into the game itself, instead of this annoying load screen before the game itself pops back up. :eek:

I play in windowed mode to avoid this.:cool:

I have 2 revodrive 3x2 stripped via dedicated i7 software raid split buss nb

End result is I get 3gb/s sequential read write with no overhead.

The result of this ingame is I load instantly, I get to move for 1-2 second then the game has some sort of "time delay" triggered black fade out -_-

This makes traveling through lifts etc really stupid because I get pulled into a forced loading screen fadeout after I have actualy started to move away from the lift on the other side.

Everything about this game is so dodgy -_-

I gather you are not running in windowed mode. Try windowed or my choice, fullscreen windowed. Fullscreen windowed looks just like fullscreen but acts like windowed. You can alt tab to your hears content with no loading screens.

I gather you are not running in windowed mode. Try windowed or my choice, fullscreen windowed. Fullscreen windowed looks just like fullscreen but acts like windowed. You can alt tab to your hears content with no loading screens.

I play in this mode also. Makes it easier when I gotta ~cough~cough~coverupthegame~cough~

It's possible! I can show you how.

The new setup will look like this:

1. Head to your ship.
  2. Hop on your ship.
  3. Set your destination.
  4. Cutscene of you leaving the planet/station.
  5. Enter hyperspace and travel for 1-2 mins. (Destination loading in the background IE no load screen)
  6. Cutscene of you landing on the planet/station.
  7. Leave your ship and BAM you're there.

Problem solved.

This, a thousand times this!

I don't mind travel times. Travel is pretty fast as it is. What I do mind are

• Loadscreens
  • Running to elevators

Remove those and improve quality of game.

Also, I wouldn't mind my ship picking me up anywhere on a planet. (As long as it's outside and not in a heroic area. Not in heroic area since there's too much grond-to-air action to expected there for me to let that stupids droid navigate there.)

Edited by Ashphael

This, a thousand times this!

I don't mind travel times. Travel is pretty fast as it is. What I do mind are

• Loadscreens
  • Running to elevators

Remove those and improve quality of game.

Also, I wouldn't mind my ship picking me up anywhere on a planet. (As long as it's outside and not in a heroic area. Not in heroic area since there's too much grond-to-air action to expected there for me to let that stupids droid navigate there.)

/facepalm

And I want purple teddybears dancing on the streets in SWTOR!

Realistic? Just about as your 'pick me up anywhere (except heroic areas)'

If it made sense on a 'realistic' level, which it doesn't (but let's hit that in a sec), can you imagine how the sky would look like? Every lazy sob calling in their ship... oh, wait, there's still a bit of clear sky, let's plug it! Not to mention the 'sorry boss, but after checking the area, I can't pick you up right now. I will keep scanning the area for an opening. Next scan in 1 min 59 58 57 seconds.' message which players will start to complain about. (though, obviously, if you are on a low pop server... :rolleyes:)

On a 'realistic' level: How often (in RL) have you seen private choppers just landing wherever they want? Intersection? Okay, let's land. Schoolyard? Down we go. Football field? No probs! etc.

Okay, you may say that a chopper is smaller than a shuttle and in SWTOR a shuttle can pick you up anywhere (even in buildings, caves, etc.) without problem.

Right, but said shuttle is not your own, personal shuttle, rather a shuttle supplied by either a contracted company (who do have the right to do drop in even at a cantina - oh the repair costs on both sides!) or potentially rather supplied by a faction service branch because you are a hero of the Republic/Empire.

And no, you don't actually have a shuttle in your spaceship... but maybe you want to pod down instead of landing in a spaceport?

In short: 'ship fly-by' okay but 'ship fly-land-bye' wherever you want: does not compute!'

As to the things you mind:

Count the number of loading screens between spaceport entrance and your ship's interior (assuming that the ship is parked in that spaceport and not in an orbit station). If you get any other number than one (1) you are either playing a different (version of the) game or you are including the 'transition screen', that black for 3-5 sec thing.

If you have an issue with that 3-5 sec black screen, heck... I don't know... wait that gnat in China that just landed on a wall must also be extremely annoying to you, right? :rolleyes:

Seriously... you do have an issue running for about 30 seconds? Because that is how long it approx. takes to get from either your ship to the 'elevator' (and vice versa) or the 'elevator' to the spaceport exit (and vice versa).

Please go online now to order a 'I'm lazy, I can't even autorun for 30 seconds' t shirt!

It's possible! I can show you how.

Currently to go from planet to planet you:

1. Head to your ship.
  2. Cutscene of you leaving the planet/station on your ship.
  3. Load screen boarding your ship.
  4. Set your destination.
  5. Perform the hyperspace jump in 5 seconds.
  6. Cutscene of you landing on the planet/docking on station.
  7. Load screen leaving your ship

To many it breaks immersion and also is very annoying.

Simple fix! Have all ship interiors be part of every planet/zone.

"Well that only saves the problem with loading getting on your ship. How does it solve the problem with a load screen when reaching a planet?"

VERY good question! Another simple easy fix. 1-2 min travel time in hyperspace. During that time the planet/station will be loaded in the background while in transit.

The new setup will look like this:

1. Head to your ship.
  2. Hop on your ship.
  3. Set your destination.
  4. Cutscene of you leaving the planet/station.
  5. Enter hyperspace and travel for 1-2 mins. (Destination loading in the background IE no load screen)
  6. Cutscene of you landing on the planet/station.
  7. Leave your ship and BAM you're there.

Problem solved.

simple, easy to understand. Alright!