Is the Hero engine fixable?

dahennessy

So folks, we all agree that the current state of the games rendering engine is seriously broken and needs some fixing. My question now is: How far can an engine like this be tweaked to improve performance?

If we take current numbers of FPS and hardware utilization, we would need an improvement of at least 50% to get some playable performance in larger scale fights. All I heard from other games, mostly first person shooters, are minor tweaks which improve performance by maybe 0-5% each patch, which makes me conclude that a rendering engine in it's final state (as decided by the developers) can't be improved by that much without starting from scratch again.

EDIT for everyone doing just PvE or playing on low-pop servers:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=191934

TL;DR:

Edited by dahennessy

So folks, we all agree that the current state of the games rendering engine is seriously broken and needs some fixing.

No, we don't all agree. You don't speak for everyone. Get off your soapbox and learn the facts.

we would need an improvement of at least 50% to get some playable performance in larger scale fights.

Again, you are working with false information. YOUR setup may be lagging and behind the times. MY configuration runs fine, and gives 60 FPS consistently even in pvp battle, or on the fleet.

I heard from other games, mostly first person shooters

Different engine, different manufacturer, different circumstances. Not even comparable. You are working with false information. I heard apples bruise easily, what can we do to oranges to keep them from bruising? That doesn't make sense.

Edited by Lanarchy

So folks, we all agree that the current state of the games rendering engine is seriously broken and needs some fixing. My question now is: How far can an engine like this be tweaked to improve performance?

If we take current numbers of FPS and hardware utilization, we would need an improvement of at least 50% to get some playable performance in larger scale fights. All I heard from other games, mostly first person shooters, are minor tweaks which improve performance by maybe 0-5% each patch, which makes me conclude that a rendering engine in it's final state (as decided by the developers) can't be improved by that much without starting from scratch again.

Simple answer? Yes, but they will need to hire developers that understand the engine. Since Bioware obviously couldn't get optimized AA up and running in the years of developing the game.

Again, you are working with false information. YOUR setup may be lagging and behind the times. MY configuration runs fine, and gives 60 FPS consistently even in pvp battle, or on the fleet.

You can't tell me that you have 60 FPS on the fleet with 240 other people in the same instance. You also can't tell me that you don't have 5-10 FPS if it comes to 50 vs 50 like it does right now in front of the republican base. See the video I posted, compare it to your system, either you don't even have half the amount of players on the screen or the effects are similar. No PC is capable of showing 60 FPS in this circumstances, because CPU and GPU usage is throttled by the game engine.

Different engine, different manufacturer, different circumstances. Not even comparable. You are working with false information. I heard apples bruise easily, what can we do to oranges to keep them from bruising? That doesn't make sense.

I know that MMO and FPS rendering engines are something different, that's why I ask and that's why I speak in general. When it comes to optimization and tweaking an engine, there wont be 90% difference in MMO vs FPS.

Edited by dahennessy

EDIT for everyone doing just PvE or playing on low-pop servers:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=191934

TL;DR:

after the final beta i decided that the intangible clunkiness of the game was due to Hero engine, and i think now it is being more widely realized as the major weak spot of the game

It's simply not optimized. That much is clear. BW needs to work on that.

They claimed they wanted a game that, like WoW, could scale well and run well on a wide variety of rigs so it could appeal to as broad a userbase as possible.

That's why I was perfectly comfortable with their chosen art style. Because despite it not being top of the line I relaxed knowing the game would run 60+ fps on my machine.