Lord tarnis help?

Nearsteel

Step 1) Get better items - if you struggle with quests in an MMO it is 90% your gear is not good enough. Get some commendation gear & mods.

Step 2) Send in companion first, use everything you have to keep them alive, let them die, use everything you have to keep yourself alive -> kill boss

Step 3) Level up more.

Fair enough. What's the best place to farm commendations?

You should have plenty of Coursant and Tython commendations from doing side quest (Which I assume you have been doing). Also, check the GM, they have some pretty good items for sale for level 15s.

Edit: Orange Modifiable items are the best to get. Once you get that, you probably won't need a new set if you like it. Just keep modding it up.

Edited by Shadow_Spec

Try not to skip side-quests or heroic +2s/+4s. Also do a flashpoint or warzone now and then.

Keeping 2-3 levels above content will make your leveling a lot easier.

If you do all the class and planet quest, plus complete all the bonus 'kill' mission and do all the bonus series on planets you will out level each planet you go to. Especially if you regularly rest in a cantina or on your ship when you log off.

I've not done a single heroic or flash point or space mission. Ive just completed the class story line on balmorra and I'm already the level above the next planet (36) and I've still got the balmora bonus series to complete and a companion mission for kira!

Edited by Maidel

• 2 months later...
I am a level 17 Jedi and even with Kira I can't beat Tarnis! What am I doing wrong!?

that depends... What are you doing??

What gear Do you have?, Are you using Your defensive cool downs ?, Are You using your interrupts ?

All these things are factors.

Be sure to hit Force Kick as an interrupt whenever you see him starting to use a power (when the blue bar under his name starts growing). I hotkey it. He is the first fight you really have to do this on, and this makes a huge difference. Also use your defensive abilities like rebuke, leg slash, saber ward; time them to start the next one when the last one finishes. Get the endurance stim from the medical droid and use it. Send in Kira first and then join her (use her command bar). Be sure to rebuff when you die. When you and Kira are about half way down, hit call on the force. It is a tough fight; this should do it for you.

If you can't make it through with Kira, gear up T7 and use him. Kira always died in my fights with him, but the increased dps while Kira was alive kept the fight quick enough that I could kill him. Send companion in first, then use your force....I can't remember the name - the channeled cc that you hold him in place while Kira kicks his tail in for three seconds. Run in, do not jump in - save your jump for when he knocks you back, so that way you can interrupt his lightning when you jump back to him.

What I always do, is that I overlevel myself. I do The Esseles/Black Talon FP until my char is lvl 13 and then I go to coruscant/dromund Kaas. (I finish planet somewhere in 18-19 lvl) and when I finish act I, I'm lvl 33-34 (alferaan is 32) By doing that, I don't have any problems with class quests or any kind of quests.