Bioware, I just solved the merc survivability problem!

Vanacus

Tier three arsenal tree. The jet boost talent will now also cause jet boost to root the targets in place for two seconds. A class already has this talent for their knockback. (Sorc?)

Tier three pyrotech tree. The energy shield talent will now cause energy shield to absorb 2,000 damage.

Since they're in tier 3, they will be inaccessible to Healing specced mercs and it won't be realistic to get both CC talents.

Such a minor change that will mean all the difference for Arsenal escapability and Pyrotech survivability. No new talents / abilities need to be added.

Edited by Vanacus

Not to sound rude but what level and valor rank are you? Me being a 50 merc I dont have too much issue. As arsenal you really can just sit and take hits, thats why you have two knockbacks. When I was arsenal I was able to ball carry and all if I had a healer so that doesnt seem like a problem. If you are top level and dont like merc getting owned by melee hitting them (you shouldnt let them anyway) you should try pyrotech. So much kiting to save your ***.

I'm level 50 pyrotech in full pvp / pve epics. I hate mercs that complain about pvp at level 30. I have 250 expertise. I do alright, and yes I love kiting, but it only lasts for so long. When an assassin jumps me I jet boost. They stun. I stun. They sprint / lightning. Warriors have leap. If my class is going to play like a mage, I want the strategy of a mage. Not just kite. 2 v 1? Forget about it. I'm dominated. I want a chance to get away and resituate myself and have a CHANCE to gain the upperhand. Not just drop my mouse and keyboard waiting for the respawn button to pop. Edited by Vanacus

One thing I would suggest is for casters utilizing LOS and for melee utilizing rapid shot kiting with different play field levels. Dont take this as "you are doing it wrong" but I have successfully kited a marauder and a Jugg by using the playfield. Side strafing while rapid shotting will make you run same as forward but you are slowing them in the process. Also running up a ramp just to jump off the side and run back up to jump off really helps to get people farther and farther away from you to get the edge.

The great thing about pyrotech is that even while you are moving you are still doing great damage.

I do have a bit more expertise than you and a rakata med pack so that may also just make it easier for me.

Oh I played a mage for three years, I am fairly competent in the kiting department and know about side strafing / jump shooting. Funny thing is, my thought process in rolling a BH was, "I played a squishy caster for three years. I want to play a heavily armored class with less dps, but still be damage capable!" And ironically, lo and behold, I'm a damn glass cannon again.

So I have experience. I just wish I had more control of a fight than just "run away and shoot." One thing I do that you didn't mention as well is pop my instant cast CD and drop a concussive missile on someone if it's 2 v 1. Works best 1v1 though, because if they break my dart then I hit them with that. Dumb thing in 2 v 1 is that EVERYONE has a CC break on a low CD because EVERYONE has CC.

Anyways, if we had a root then kiting would be much more effective and would turn it into a more offensive strategy than a defensive "oh **** oh **** oh ****" strategy.

I actually have never thought to use the insta CD followed by concussive, another tool in my belt lol. Thanks. Yeah I guess alot of my surviving comes from being Biochem for the huge medpack. Lets hope im not losing when that nerf comes. Other than kiting there really isnt much else unfortunately. Luckily I havnt had too much trouble so far but that may all change when people get used to seeing me as pyrotech.

Seem like worthwhile additions.

You would be surprised what a class could do in 2 seconds. 2 seconds in MMO time is like 15 seconds in reality hah. Any longer and it would make mercs overpowered. 3 or 4 seconds would allow an Arsenal Merc to get off a seeker and a half, doing 20% of someone's hp. 3 or 4 seconds for a Pyro Merc is an entire second rotation packing 5k-7k damage.

You would be surprised what a class could do in 2 seconds. 2 seconds in MMO time is like 15 seconds in reality hah. Any longer and it would make mercs overpowered. 3 or 4 seconds would allow an Arsenal Merc to get off a seeker and a half, doing 20% of someone's hp. 3 or 4 seconds for a Pyro Merc is an entire second rotation packing 5k-7k damage.

Oh, I agree completely. That's why these additions, a shield that'll take a dedicated DPS a couple of seconds to burn through, and a short snare, are worthwhile additions.

Now, personally I'd want to see the pyrotech shield scaling with gear, I know trickier to balance but it would keep it from becoming irrelevant at higher gear levels.

This class is gimped right now, for a class that cant kite at all and requires to stand still to do damage it should be far more durable, the merc needs both a absorb shield and a mitigation shield to be effective as it stands

spec pyro and hope you are fighting lesser geared unintelligent opponents is not a solution

This class is gimped right now, for a class that cant kite at all and requires to stand still to do damage it should be far more durable, the merc needs both a absorb shield and a mitigation shield to be effective as it stands

spec pyro and hope you are fighting lesser geared unintelligent opponents is not a solution

Speccing pyro and doing just fine against equally geared opponents is an option however, and it works quite well.

We have a survivability problem?

Just look to operatives - have stealth, impossibru damage, heal, and ABSORB shield

And look to Sorcs, they have big damage, good heal (they don't need heat managment, force have 1 regen speed) force run and ABSORB shields (easy to run from target and heal)

And look to mercs, nice damage, heal like operative (but ops can hide stealth, runaway and heal), have -25% damage shield for 12 sec and Cure useful only vs tech dots (sorc dot's still damage, its wrong) and DON'T have ANY escape ability