The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Hardcore are what drive MMO's. So goes the hardcore, so goes SWTOR

ValaxDarkseer

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some "Joes" go to the movies, read books, work out... they keep a balance. That's pretty important-- not to say you can't do these things AND be hardcore, but I sure haven't found a way.

I've found hardcore raiding guilds to be a little obsessive with the game, it always struck me as pretty unhealthy (I'm talking raiders who don't let up for 8 hour raiding days non-stop almost every day).

lol Nobody raids 8 hours a night non-stop everynight in SWTOR.

Any guild worth half their salt will be raiding 3 hrs a night 2 days a week right now. Because thats all it takes to beat the faceroll easy raids this game has= fact

Some "Joes" go to the movies, read books, work out... they keep a balance. That's pretty important-- not to say you can't do these things AND be hardcore, but I sure haven't found a way.

I've found hardcore raiding guilds to be a little obsessive with the game, it always struck me as pretty unhealthy (I'm talking raiders who don't let up for 8 hour raiding days non-stop almost every day).

If someone plays a game for 8 hours straight everyday, I'm sure they'd be a skew unhealthy. So I think I missed your point...

This entire thread is moot. "Casual" content and "hardcore" content are not mutually exclusive.

However, if they need to make decisions that effect everyone, they will favor the Casual crowd... because they are the majority (this coming from a hardcore player).

Edited by Sai-to

I dont know what is more ridicolous. The Intepretation of hardcore for some people( 15-20 h a day, no family, no rl yaddayadda). Or those who think of themself as something better, just because they achieved less then someone else online, which they think means, they achieved more in RL......

Whatever btt. You cant tell casuals and hardcore players apart anymore imo. Because everyone has a different definition of what is what. I think of myself sometimes as a casual, sometimes more hardcore. I dont invest that much time in MMOs anymore after the levelingphase (which I enjoyed greatly btw.^^) There are 2 days we raid with our guild, and on every other day i just log in when i feel like it, or to do space combat daylies, for the reparcosts. On the other side, i LOVE Theorycrafting, without a combatlog its rather lackluster, but i invest quite some time to maximize my raids and my own performance outside of pure gaming time.

In the end , that means i dont play that much, but i organize and optimize it to get the most out of it. In my experience many of the more progression or strictly pvp(not hardcore!) oriented gamers are like this. The most time ig/per day is spend by non-progression(not casual!) gamers, which are often online for the social aspect, a bit of farming, dailies, occasional pvp or flashpoints.

Both groups have fun at what they are doing, but you cant they one of those is more important for the game. Without the progression oriented players raids would either be nerfed to oblivion and become boring as hell(To succeed in a game with godmode, might be fun for a while, but in the longrun it gets boring) or those players would be frustrated, because they cant get past a certain point. BUT if there is someone(progression oriented gamers), who already cleared all the content, there will be new content.

With this new content (Operations/Raids) there will be new gear, new stories, and an easy entrance with an, hopefully, challenging endfight. There might be new content without progression oriented gamers, but by far less often.

BUT without non progression gamers, there will be no player base to pay the game and noone who might replace leaving progression gamers. And as far as i experienced, by far less people to twink with or do the occasional fp/pvp run with.

Therefore, imo, a MMO need both types of players, those who just want to play without major planing,set/regualar raidtimes and no interest in challenging encoutners/progression( i still dont like the term casual and would stick with non-progression-oriented gamers) . And those who want to beat the content by optimizing everything, playing with a raidschedule and who are generally interested in a more challenging hobby(sport is the same, if you cant loose, there is no purpose in winning, thats why im more interested in challenging fights), opposed to those, that look for something to chill.

Its each and everyones decision HOW he wants to play, and a MMO without both approaches to gaming will only be an O. Thats why everyone has to accept other players decision and should not treat them as a lowly creature (well some posts in this board deliver this feeling) based on there playstyle.

P.S. If there are spellingmistages, well shi... happens. Its late where im from and im no native speaker^^

"Hardcore" players are the people who help an mmo survive in its infancy. They are the ones who stress test many aspects of the game, provide feedback to devs, are the first to sell the myriad of items you buy as you level up, they're the ones who found the realm's top guilds, who end up fueling the server economy by purchasing consumables and raw materials needed for their progression.

I am a casual mmo player these days, but I do not understand why people get upset at the thought of others who play smarter or more often (or both) getting rare rewards to recognize their contributions in game. If you still have content to down, who cares if you're clearing Raid X at the same time as hardcore guild Y? I was never at the front of progression in WoW during TBC, but it didn't feel any less satisfying when I cleared T5 content for the first time with my guild, months after the Ensidia's of the world had left it and BT in the dust. Just look at WoW if you want an example of what happens when everything becomes accessible to everyone - the game has turned into a giant loot pinata where no achievement is really special and every class pretty much has the same looking gear, the same weapons, and the same achievements (albeit at different difficulty levels).

exactly my point

you need hardcore players full stop

I'm somewhere in between the hardcore and the casual player. MMOs are my favorite hobby. Just as some people enjoy watching football or their favorite television shows every evening, I spend at least a couple hours each night playing whatever MMO captures my fancy at the time.

SWG was the first, WoW was the one I stuck with the longest, and SWTOR is my newest obsession. I've played others in between...EVE, Aion, Rift, etc...but the only game I stuck around long enough to do end game content at the time it was released was WoW.

At this point, I believe I am quite done with the competitive aspect of end game, and I have decided to take a more casual approach to SWTOR, leveling multiple characters to satisfy my alt-o-holic gaming personality.

Despite my desire to be casual, I am also a min-maxer. If I don't get the best gear possible for my character, I am left feeling unsatisfied. So unsatisfied that it borders on severe OCD. It can really be a burden to be both an alt-o-holic with an urge to play every class and every story in the game...but it is multiplied a hundred fold by the equally unquenchable thirst for better gear and theory-crafting.

But enough about me. What I mean to say is that I can identify with both the casual and hardcore players. I am balancing precariously on the fence between the two, and I can see both sides from here.

But even I can recognize that the MMO ideal that most hardcore players keep trying to recapture in the "glory days" are no longer existent. This is the age of the casual gamer, and I have come to terms with that after playing WoW for 6 or 7 years. However, that doesn't mean you can't be hardcore gamers...it just means that in a game full of casuals, you'll stand out above the rest even more that you ever have before. I don't really see that as a bad thing.

TL;DR Version:

I understand your argument, and being hardcore is all fine and dandy because I've been there myself...just don't expect Bioware or Blizzard or whoever else is making MMO games these days to share your feelings about the hardcore being the backbone of their game.

Well i disagree to a point. hardcores are too much in the minority to have a financial impact BUT imo they do drive the development which in turn keeps casuals playing and paying.
Hardcore players drive the community. They are the foundation upon which a successful MMO is built. A MMO does not need to be tailored to their every whim, but targeting casuals sets the challenge bar too low to keep anyone interested outside of what amounts to role players.

Ok, I have a wonderful family and iam a casual and do not envy basement dwellers

What makes you think anyone lives in a basement? You lump everyone who plays more than you in the same category, and then say "hardcore players are jerks and self-absorbed" You're no better at all. You also missed the point entirely, although hardly surprising, given your response. You automatically defend yourself and attack everyone not like you, this is the exact mentality that is wrong with YOU. Like I said, step back and think for a moment instead of defending some delusional point.

WOW you went to a movie?!

WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT. SOMEONE GET THIS GUY A MEDAL OF HONOR

Hello all,

We are going to close this thread. We welcome feedback regarding Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ but we ask that threads and discussions center around that and not discussions of hardcores versus casuals.

We have a very diverse community on the forums and our members come from a variety of playstyles and opinions. While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, we ask that those opinions be expressed in a constructive and respectful manner. Comments that denigrate others for how they play are considered rude and do not contribute to friendly discourse.

We have a thread in place from AllisonBerryman that we encourage everyone to read regarding constructive feedback on the forums.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=141421

Thank you. We will close this now.