The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Hardcore are what drive MMO's. So goes the hardcore, so goes SWTOR

ValaxDarkseer

grats to to the few hundred hardcore players, what we need is more newbee's or this game is dead with all the new games coming out this year starwars will not survive Ooo well it will but like warhammer and conan did lol i guess this is not the wow killer game

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a casual. I, in no way, look up to some Hardcore player.

This and ill go one step further and say if you think people should look up to you cause you have leet gear then people really need to get outside more. Cause we all know what in game leet means IRL.............

I can easily say that I DO NOT envy hardcore players.

If anything, I pity them.

So much of "who they are" in the game community is tied up in "World First" and accomplishments that quite literally mean nothing once you think about it.

Think of what hardcores sacrafice in order to achieve those world firsts, and you'll know what I mean.

But ultimately the accomplishments mean nothing. Down the road, when new content is released and the old content is obsolete or out-leveled, I can simply go back with a group of friends, and do the exact same thing these hardcores did, while still having all the enjoyment of the base game, without the mad rush to be there first.

Trust me, I know. I did it in WoW! LOL During Burning Crusade, we were going back and downing Molten Core and Naxx with Level 70's that were shredding the trash mobs and bosses.

In Wrath, we were going back and raiding Magtheridon and Black Temple and the Sunwell.

Yeah, other people did it before us. So what? We did it too, we just did it a little later and without all the insane wipes, massive farming to pay repair bills, and the generally undesireable stress that accompanies attempting to do all this as a world first!

The same will be happening in SWTOR, and with the massive amounts of Orange gear in all Flashpoints, we'll take our time, we'll enjoy our stories, and later on, we'll come back and loot pillage all the lower Flashpoints and such, because we can, and we'll see all the same things the "hardcores" see, but on our schedule! And to add insult to injury, we'll actually have fun doing it our way, rather than the way hardcores feel it HAS to be done.

:D

/cheer

Because if the hardcores are happy there is really no one else left to complain. There would exist this emptiness because people would just be happy playing it ;)

But I agree I guess, there is also the ideal of "newness", which usually keeps people busy as well, at least for a little while.

I disagree.

Level 50 here, casual player.

Lack of pvp brackets - bad. My alts are getting 2-3 shotted by level 50 scoundrels/ops.

Serious class imbalances - bad. Sith warriors/Jedi knights, which according to the lore, should have been the masters of close range combat, are the easy kills of ranged classes, and the target practice for scoundrels/ops.

I bought this game for the PVP. Not satisfied.

Casual player here returning to the good old EVE Online..

What I have seen is that the self proclaimed "Hardcores" are the ones who spend the most time MMO-crawling (akin to pub crawling).. They hit an MMO hard fast and furious, devour their initial offerings, and then move on to the next MMO in some eternal search for the "perfect game"...

Please tell me how that drive's the success of an MMO?

The success of an MMO is generally looked at on a much larger time scale than the first month or so after release, which is generally when all the "hardcore" players are active in an MMO. It's the casuals who play the game for years on end who drive the success, and fund the continual development, of any MMO.

This x 1000.

Also, to the idea that hard core create communities, what a joke. Hard cores (not all, but in general) create cliques. Gear score and DPS meters are used to exclude those the hard core do not deem worthy. The hard core are about exclusion, not inclusion. They do not build community except among themselves. They actually destroy community.

That, of course, is a generalization much like the OP's. There are some who are "hard core" that are there for the game. But the type of individual the OP speaks of is there for the best equipment that the game has to offer to be some symbol of achievement. The game itself is unimportant. It is just a mechanic to exploit. In all likelihood, they bypassed as much game content as they could as quickly as they could just to get to the point they could get the best gear the game had to offer. And once they have min/maxed the life out of the game, once they have their goal of the best there is and turned raids into farming operations, what is there left of the game for them? Nothing. So, like locusts, they move onto the next game to strip it bare as well.

It is casuals that do the actual content of a game and keep it running so the so-called hard core can bypass and exclude their way to the "top." It is the casual who keeps the game running while the hard core move onto another game waiting for the next expansion so they can come back for next seasons' crops before moving on again.

There are excpetions, of course, but hard core do not improve a game. They usually suck the life out of it.

Here's a quick question for all you casuals out there that hate hardcores.

Without the hardcores, who will play on PTR and test all the content?

It's clearly not going to be the casuals.

Omg i hope that was a troll post because PTR does not = hardcore, but thank you, cause you made me lol irl.

No one cares about the hardcores. No one looks up to them. They are an annoying blight on the community. They make up 1% of the community, and demand 100% of the content to be catered to them.

Bioware stated early on that this game was not for the hardcore player.

Who is going to test your game on the test realms? Without hardcores your game would be a buggy pile of **** that doesn't function.

First, your presumtion that everyone on a PTR is a so-called hard core is not based on anything other than your assumptions. Second, many hard core who do go on the PTR are only there to get a heads up on how to beat new content, not to test the game. Those I can do without, thank you very much.

The hardcore give the casuals someone to look up to. Casuals look at the hardcore gamer and their gear and accomplishments and want to be like them. This in turns gets casuals to play more and push to be more hardcore themselves. Without the hardcore crowd casuals will never see what they could possibly become and without any cool goals to look forward to casuals lose interest.

LOLOLOL boy, did you ever get that wrong, no body looks up at hardcore except other hardcore...period.

:mon_trap:

Lol I spent so much time messing around EVE test server just after I became as casual as it gets due to boredom/lack of roams around and will to see what's cooking/new content/stuff I can't get on live. Complete miss. Hell there were more carebears on mass tests than people that actually knew how to pvp fit a ship.

The hardcore give the casuals someone to look up to. Casuals look at the hardcore gamer and their gear and accomplishments and want to be like them.

Really? Well, uh..I hate to say it but I tend to view hardcore players more with pity than admiration, not to mention the fact that Ive seen several marriages fall apart because husbands cared more about raiding than their wife.

So no, I dont think thats a fact, it might be something that the 14-18 yr olds look up to but they're a minority in these games.

I know that majority of casuals will NEVER log on to the PTR.

They do once premades become available.

There's nothing superior to the feeling of achievement you get by pvping in equipment you cannot achieve by your normal gameplay.

It's always nice, how your average casual "switches" to hardcore thinking, once the neccesary power becomes available to him. (Actually the pattern in casuals and hardcores is the same, it's just that they have access to different possibilities of realizing their desires.)

I think the OP is confused. Hardcores are the whiners that demand features most people don't care about, and burn through content so quickly that it causes companies to churn out crap just so they can release stuff fast. If I never saw another hardcore player, it would be great... it means that the devs would develop content for the rest of us. Look up to hardcores... LOL. OP needs a reality check.

please re-learn american history. The rich have ALWAYS controlled the way this country is run.

Without the "everyone else" group, the rich would have no one to "control" anyways. While the rich may be individually more important than everyone else, as a whole, they can't magically rule the world. Again I'll say, without the "everybody else" group, the rich are NOTHING, and the "everybody else" group speaks with larger numbers (and therefore more power) than the "rich group".

So I'm going to say that my opinion is still valid.

EDIT: Also worth noting, I said who "IS" more important to America, not who was in the past. Did you even read my post?

Edited by BobTheTeepo