ATI or Nvidia for Swtor or MMO's in general?

RevansFollower

Calling all computer experts!

Please give me some insight as to which brand's cards offer better PERFORMANCE for MMORPG's such as Swtor or the game-that-shall-not-be-named?

Take each company's best card overall and compare them, who comes out on top?

Price does not matter.

I want to be able to run this game for 48 hours continuously with no lag, fps, crashing or other issues to get an idea of usage rates.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an Nvidia fanboy, so I am understandably biased. I went with a 500-series card for this game and haven't looked back.

That said, ATI seems to be having fewer issues with this revision of the game engine. Many third-party enhancements such as forced AA seem to be reliable with ATI drivers, while they are hit-and-miss with the NVCP.

YMMV, but, if you are looking for something that will be smooth, and you want it tomorrow, I would have to recommend ATI at this point. This may change with new driver updates and as the admittedly outdated game engine gets patched.

Well...the gf 580 is the most powerful single-gpu right now...but once the games start getting optimized for multi-gpu setups that would be irrelevant. Personally I prefer nvidia. Seems like they have much better driver and game support. But as far as raw power the nvidia and ati cards are pretty close.

Nvidia...

I don't want to go in to a lot of details to answer this.

Nvidia > ATI with the exception of a few cards here and there.

Nvidia is generally outright better in performance stability.

ATI is known for having more bug related issues.

Edited by djsmileey

The genre of a game has NOTHING to do with Nvidia vs AMD.

Go for the best bang for your buck, best cooler, best performance for what you have to spend.

Cross reference benchmarks on line.

Anyone responding with " such and such pwns the other" is just parroting fan boy hyperbole.

All things being equal, both Nvidia and AMD do the same thing.

These days, I recomend a 69502gb. Generally beats the 560 ti, and has more vram for situations where it's usefull, like BF3.

If you got the coin, get a 7970. Beats the gtx580 up,down, sideways silly, and it's only like $50 more.

( the last suggestion would be complete and total overkill for TOR and it's dated crappy graphics though)

Edited by Your_dominus

I was a long time ATI user and I switched to NVidia. I got a 560 TI and have been very pleased.

However, if you compare the best NVidia vs. the best ATI, since ATI just came out with the 7000 series the 7000 wins. It is > 500 bucks atm and a 560 ti or better will allow you what you requested for half that.

I run all things maxed with forced AA and the game looks beautiful. No lag, no stutters

Please give me some insight as to which brand's cards offer better PERFORMANCE for MMORPG's such as Swtor or the game-that-shall-not-be-named?

Price does not matter.

I want to be able to run this game for 48 hours continuously with no lag, fps, crashing or other issues to get an idea of usage rates.

Price per frame op. Always follow that. Last gen cards the 6950 had the best price per frame.

If money is no concern just get one of those new radeon 7950s thst just came out. 28nm gpus run cooler, use less power, all while being more powerful.

I for one wont buy first series of brand new gpus but price does not matter for you.

so if i were to decide on nvidia, would i get the GTX 580 or the GTX 590? I have read that they are each better than the other for different things. also, i would probably only have room for one card. Also, what is the effect of having two cards? Does it increase performace or something?

so if i were to decide on nvidia, would i get the GTX 580 or the GTX 590? I have read that they are each better than the other for different things. also, i would probably only have room for one card. Also, what is the effect of having two cards? Does it increase performace or something?

Lol do NOT get a gtx 580. Get a 7970. ***** it silly.

Buying a gtx580, when the 7970 just came out, and completly owns it would be silly.

And yes, SLI/Crossfire increase " performance", assuming the game makes use of it, and/or drivers are available.

Edited by Your_dominus

so since ATI released the HD 7000 series, i should wait for the GTX 600 series to compare them? I can wait a few months if it results in a better choice.

Yes. The 7970 is quite obviously superior to anything nvidia makes at the moment, but that will probably change in a couple months, and prices will definitely go down.

The reason I need to know these things is because as soon as possible, I plan to go on what I call "Gaming Binges." I have little-to-no time during weekdays to play, so I do all of it at once on the weekend. 48 hours at once isn't too unlikely for what I have planned. Just so you know :D

I LoL'd.

Buying ATI means only one thing, it might not work as good as you hoped. But hey you payed less..

Oh please. Crawl back under. What a load of fanboy crap,lol.

My 6950 owns the 560 ti I had in my last build by 5-10fps. Depending on the game. And I have no issues at all.

Edited by Your_dominus

depends on the game tbh

ati seems to be more user friendly to tweak and setup

nvidia seems to have far wider support for sli on games than crossfire though both hardware setups are of pretty similar raw power

ive always been an nvidia person myself, but the only gripe i used to have with ati was their software support and that has indeed gotten a lot better these past couple of years

I LoL'd.

Buying ATI means only one thing, it might not work as good as you hoped. But hey you payed less..

Don't be such a fanboy. I've used both over the years, and never had any significant issues with either.

I usually look at ATI for anything you want to do with Video editing software and projects of that sort and I use Nvidia for gaming. Its just a personal preference, much like with processors with going with AMD or Intel.

Since I only run AMD with Nvidia products that is my choice, yours might differ depending on what you wish to do with your computer other than just gaming.

Don't be such a fanboy. I've used both over the years, and never had any significant issues with either.

This.

As I said in a earlier post, all things being equal, both do the same thing give or take miniscule differences.

And both sides suffer from issues sometimes.

AMD completly owns Nvidia in BF3. 6950 beats the 560 ti by an average of 10fps. Nividia and their blue screens, driver crashes, and inferior fps in BF3....I guess he forgets this little fact,lol.

Edited by Your_dominus

Price does not matter.

Well, one thing that's been pretty much standard since ATI and Nvidia began competing is this:

Nvidia cards when compared to similar ATI cards usually have more functionality. They make better looking images because they have a more robust GPU that is scaled for image complexity and detail... usually. ATI is generally made with one goal in mind: Maximum FPS. They do this while using lower detail shaders and with GPUs that don't have as quite a broad spectrum of shading potential.

To me, the image from an ATI card looks inferior when compared side-by-side to an Nvidia card. I'm a graphics professional though and this is what I do for a living. Reflections look lifelike and shadows are soft and render properly in the Z-Buffer.

ATI on the other hand uses a cheaper method of Z-Buffer rendering (depth). Shadows can sometimes be displayed UNDERNEATH textures and shiny surfaces often seem somewhat dull in comparison.

These are cursory differences to most people... but that is the tradeoff in general. Nvidia's GPUs if you just compare the numbers typically can render a wider range of colors and with higher resolutions than ATI cards can. ATI cards are usually faster. Nvidia cards seem to be more stable though. They deliver steady FPS under various loads where ATIs tend to vary more. Although an Nvidia might not have the fastest FPS, the ATI is often the one that gets the lowest when it gets taxed. Again, Nvidia GPUs are more robust (and usually more expensive too) and that's what their built for.

IMO, if you want your game to look the best it possibly can... look into an Nvidia. If you want more FPS, the ATI is usually the way to go.

DO NOT buy the 590. Its a dual gpu setup that had to be down clocked to run stable. If youre going to buy a dual gpu get the 6990.

One 580 will be more than enough for this game. Honestly dont know if this game even supports xfire/sli, it didnt in beta and i have yet to seen any profiles for it.

Having an sli/xfire setup will greatly increase your framerates. Just dont spend the money if there is no point. Usually you can can get two lower series cards for cheaper than the top of line single gpu card and get equal/more the performance. (Or shy depending how cheap the card).