So If Light Speed Exist In This Game

NettoDaGhetto

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BEST THREAD EVER!!!

Ok a couple things:

1. You got people who can't control a car properly at 15mph you want them to handle a speeder going at faster than light travel?
  2. I thought the theory is if an object travels faster than light it converts to pure energy. That's why FTL travel are either bending of space or creating an energy field around the object and the field travels at FTL and what is inside the bubble is not so that you blast off and don't go all energy sparkley.
  3. Science and science fiction only been miles apart back in the 50's.

Only if the forces of acceleration are in excess of what the human body can maintain. Speed doesn't kill you. Rapid acceleration/deceleration kill you.

Velocity would certainly kill someone when it reaches points where friction with the air would melt their armor or shear off limbs or the air pressure would become too low to breathe or would simply be too fast to avoid collision with changes in terrain. The actual velocity itself would not kill directly, no, but there are a lot of other factors introduced by the velocity, especially in atmospheric conditions.

Speeders need to be faster becouse you do get the feeling that your driving extreamly slow

on somthing named of all things speeder, its the feeling you get, and that is bad for game play.

I want to drive so fast I drive into mobs and face plant,

before I can see they are there.

miss turns , drive around just for fun. jump cliffs that are in game.

add speeder races against other players , and eqiup it like the space ship.

Iam a BH 50 and have seen no reason to get a better speeder, if the epic did 180% I would get it. but 20% faster than the first really

but the feeling of the mount is just WRONG. wrong I tell you.

the first you can get is slow , looks and feels like your pushing a cart, but the other speeders man they look like they should go fast and they dont.

and if anybody says it becouse they want us to look a the scenary one more time,

man I maybe looked up ones at the end of taris and went hey cool, thats it 3 sec tops, for months of work probable.

if you max level you want to drive like mad, on a speeder bike, and leave mobs behind you. in dust , as revenge for all the times they kicked you off...

and dont say the epic car speeder makes it harder for them to kick you out its just not the same feeling... they still scrach the paint job.

and the fact you have a space ship , and cant drop off on a quick travel location, and continue questing where you left off, and jump directly to your ship from there, but you have a fleet pass that takes you to the station , "logic" not a game mechanic I know.

I have seen a few planets where landing from the air is a bad idea from a story point of view , but you still have shuttle craft that can take you to flashpoints on those.

AND WHY DO I HAVE TO RUN TROUGH THE SPACE PORT TO USE QUICK TRAVEL or bike......

it fast becoming annoying the running trough the same place over and over and over , when there is NO logical reason why that should be. I can drive a speeder in a space station but not a space port logic..

Why give us speeder's / mounts that go 20 mph, the mount speed dosent make sence i just got on Hoth and really mounts are way to slow, a horse would be faster then these things.

The speeders we get do seem rather pitifully slow :(

The fact is that "Light speed" can only be done in space.

If mounts were able to go that fast:

1: It would be too fast and not be able to see anything on the map.

2: It might create an unbalance in the game allowing folks to just zip through harder areas to get to safe zones for whatever reason.

#2 is the most likely reason for this decision. although i do feel that once a toon is near endgame it'd be nice to be able to go faster than regular speeders

Fail.

Google the LHC. (it's not in space)

luls

Large Hadron Collider

In this thread:

A lot of people without basic knowledge of the physics of light speed.

Let's put it this way, if light speed worked realistically in this game, it would take your ship about 30 years just to go from one star system to another.

So it's not really light speed in the game, it's effectively magic.

Edited by Yfelsung

There is no light speed travel in Star Wars. What they have is faster than light travel. The EU knows stuff like time dilation etc. just like in our universe. What is introduced is the hyper space what makes FTL travelling possible. Don't try applying real world physics to Star Wars, they have invented an excuse already.

nice thread but a couple of people are using trek like science ("warp speed", "bending the fabric of space"), in Star wars the jump to lightspeed is also called "jump to hyperspace".

Hyperspace, where for the purposes of the movie the laws of physics can be bypassed allowing a ship to move faster than light without any additional problems (it also doesn't need or relate to warpspeed and other trek tech).

I do find it odd that we get a license to drive ships in space before we can learn to drive speeders....maybe differen't planets have different traffic laws?

The speeder Luke used in the very first movie was really bookin it, although I understand the need for them to be slower due to game mechanics. But there really should be more then a 10% increase per level. By the time you get the epic speeder, you realistically should be able to go 300%. Of course if they gave that to us now, what would they give us in the content expansions later?

My biggest problem with the "light speed" in this game isn't the name they use for it, but that it is being used so closely to planets and sometimes when a ship has barely cleared the atmosphere. It wasn't possible, you could not use it inside or so close to gravity wells.

The speeder Luke used in the very first movie was really bookin it, although I understand the need for them to be slower due to game mechanics. But there really should be more then a 10% increase per level. By the time you get the epic speeder, you realistically should be able to go 300%. Of course if they gave that to us now, what would they give us in the content expansions later?

My biggest problem with the "light speed" in this game isn't the name they use for it, but that it is being used so closely to planets and sometimes when a ship has barely cleared the atmosphere. It wasn't possible, you could not use it inside or so close to gravity wells.

glad you brought that up, i seem to remember he also said 'hit the accelerator!' when he found r2 on the radar. a speed boost would not be out of line, i dont think. double speed for a few seconds, long enough cooldown to avoid abuse, maybe 5 minutes. if nothing else it would be a fun little fluff addition to the game.

RE. The Teleportation debate a few pages back i would like to mention electron jumps(is that what you call it in english? i dont really know) the process in which an electron changes speed without accelerating, thus some sort of teleportation is achieved(As far as i understand, im no physics professor) this does however require the electron to hit the right frequency for some light or something, no entirely sure, but check out wiki if you are interested

The problem with flight through Hoth's atmosphere isn't the cold, its the ice/water.

You know how they have to de-ice airplane wings, right? A craft designed for spaceflight may not have the need for de-icing equipment.

I recall in the movies how they said they had trouble addapting the speeders to Hoth's environment...ice buildup is likely why, not cold.

Idle thoughts on a Monday, please continue.

I'll grant that they have to cover the transports, but the 'not being suited for arctic combat' argument doesn't really work, based on how cold space is.

Okay people...

Space isn't cold.

Space isn't hot.

Space is a vacuum and an amazing insulator. In reality, Mass Effect got it right: your biggest problem in space is trying to not cook yourself with the heat from your own propulsion/weapons. The shuttle, space station, and satellites don't have this issue (and treat space as 'cold') because they have little to no active energy production and are basically cold objects drifting in space, losing energy via radiation (rather slowly when taken in context). Higher energy activities like firing bolts of plasma or changing the direction of a dozen tons of metal in seconds produce a lot of heat and there is no "cold" space to help get rid of it.

Fast forward to the conclusion: Unless you designed your spaceship to handle the extreme temperature loss and frost buildup of cold-weather flying, you'd find yourself in a deathtrap that would last only a couple minutes. You don't have frost in space, and you don't have any air to conduct heat away from your ship. It's a totally different thing.