So If Light Speed Exist In This Game

NettoDaGhetto

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is that "Light speed" can only be done in space.

If mounts were able to go that fast:

1: It would be too fast and not be able to see anything on the map.

2: It might create an unbalance in the game allowing folks to just zip through harder areas to get to safe zones for whatever reason.

#2 is the most likely reason for this decision. although i do feel that once a toon is near endgame it'd be nice to be able to go faster than regular speeders

From a practical stand point, yes, a speeder might be as fast as a horse, but you don't have to take care of a speeder the same way you do a horse.

From an in-universe standpoint, people in Star Wars are morons in general. At the Battle of Hoth, Luke points out that the AT-AT's "armor is too tough for blasters!". Nobody seemed to have the idea that they could just launch some X-Wings or Y-Wings, target the AT-AT and fire a proton torpedo at it. Also, Luke took out one pretty easily with a grapple gun, lightsaber and grenade, so yeah, let's not do that.

Then there's the lack of Death Star defense, and I'm not talking about the thermal exhaust port, I'm talking about a massive space station deciding to launch 24 TIE Fighters at best during the battle, when the Empire could have easily have swarmed the Rebel fighters.

Besides that, if you're on Hoth of all places, do you really want to be going more than 20 MPH? Remember the temperature there, imagine that wind hitting your face. You'd be suffering some pretty nasty weather effects from all of it. You don't even have a wind screen! To put this into perspective, one of the most famous NFL games was the "Ice Bowl" between the Cowboys and the Packers on December 31, 1967. The wind chill factor that day was at -48 degrees Fahrenheit. Several players developed frostbite, a fan died thanks to the weather, and ti was pretty much a battle to see who could get out alive.

That was in Wisconsin. You're on a much colder planet. I doubt you'd want to put up with those kinds of effects.

From a practical stand point, yes, a speeder might be as fast as a horse, but you don't have to take care of a speeder the same way you do a horse.

From an in-universe standpoint, people in Star Wars are morons in general. At the Battle of Hoth, Luke points out that the AT-AT's "armor is too tough for blasters!". Nobody seemed to have the idea that they could just launch some X-Wings or Y-Wings, target the AT-AT and fire a proton torpedo at it. Also, Luke took out one pretty easily with a grapple gun, lightsaber and grenade, so yeah, let's not do that.

Then there's the lack of Death Star defense, and I'm not talking about the thermal exhaust port, I'm talking about a massive space station deciding to launch 24 TIE Fighters at best during the battle, when the Empire could have easily have swarmed the Rebel fighters.

Besides that, if you're on Hoth of all places, do you really want to be going more than 20 MPH? Remember the temperature there, imagine that wind hitting your face. You'd be suffering some pretty nasty weather effects from all of it. You don't even have a wind screen! To put this into perspective, one of the most famous NFL games was the "Ice Bowl" between the Cowboys and the Packers on December 31, 1967. The wind chill factor that day was at -48 degrees Fahrenheit. Several players developed frostbite, a fan died thanks to the weather, and ti was pretty much a battle to see who could get out alive.

That was in Wisconsin. You're on a much colder planet. I doubt you'd want to put up with those kinds of effects.

So you know X-wings and Y-wings were being used to cover the transports escape through the imperial blockade, besides they weren't suited/equipped for arctic combat so they wouldn't have lasted long.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I'll grant that they have to cover the transports, but the 'not being suited for arctic combat' argument doesn't really work, based on how cold space is. Aside from that, Echo Base was a major Rebel installation; why didn't they have some more practical weapons; the AT-AT's weren't exactly some kind of secret weapon, so you'd think the Alliance would have some kind of portable missile/torpedo system.

So you know X-wings and Y-wings were being used to cover the transports escape through the imperial blockade, besides they weren't suited/equipped for arctic combat so they wouldn't have lasted long.

Yeah, it's totally tropical in space!

what the hell lol i hope your trolling!

How often do you see the space shuttle or satellite covered in ice? How often do you see grounded planes covered in ice?

Moisture, gravity, and temperature play a important role when flying within a atmosphere.

To learn more:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceIsCold

Edited by Twolow

Research heat loss via convection and radiation versus simply radiation. An X-wing flying through an arctic atmosphere could very well experience lower and more varied temperatures than an X-wing flying through space.

Of course all of this is beside the point. The answer is that they didn't deploy X-wings because the plot didn't call for it. Operas rarely make logical sense, as they are more focused on the drama of the events rather than the plausibility of said events.

I'll grant that they have to cover the transports, but the 'not being suited for arctic combat' argument doesn't really work, based on how cold space is. Aside from that, Echo Base was a major Rebel installation; why didn't they have some more practical weapons; the AT-AT's weren't exactly some kind of secret weapon, so you'd think the Alliance would have some kind of portable missile/torpedo system.

I wonder about that too, but then again they either were not prepared for AT-ATs or they just didn't have access to heavy artillery at the time or both.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Space is not absolute zero.

Space is nearly absolute zero unless of course you are next to a star.

The air molecules would vaporize a vehicle traveling at light speed in the atmosphere.

We have a hard enough time trying to deal with air friction with jets that travel in the mach range.

Edited by iResist

And yet they are rated for space... absolute zero.

Space is not at absolute zero.

The problem you get in space is not keeping things warm, it's keeping them cool. There's no way to convect heat away from heat producing items - it's one of the design challenges with satellites. See also why city planets won't work.

Edited by HELhikari

The problem you get in space is not keeping things warm, it's keeping them cool. There's no way to convect heat away from heat producing items - it's one of the design challenges with satellites. See also why city planets won't work.

If there is no way to convect heat away from heat producing items.. how does the sun warm the earth? I'm not trolling or disagreeing I have no idea about this stuff. Now I'm very curious.

Space is nearly absolute zero.

Space is not a good cooler because there are very little molecules in space to convect heat away.

Space is nearly absolute zero.

Space is not a good cooler because there are very little molecules in space to convect heat away.

Heat is simply the transfer of energy from one body to another. Heat always goes from the more energetic body to the lesser. Space is a vacuum, so there is no body through which that energy generated can be transfered.

Edited by BronKyja

If there is no way to convect heat away from heat producing items.. how does the sun warm the earth? I'm not trolling or disagreeing I have no idea about this stuff. Now I'm very curious.

Stars emit quite a lot of particles. The sun heats the earth because those particles hit the atmosphere and cause a lot of movement. Quite a bit of the heat of the Earth is also due to the core of the earth.

ROFL! You do realize that space is far colder than Hoth?

Heat is simply the transfer of energy from one body to another. Heat always goes from the more energetic body to the lesser. Space is a vacuum, so there is no body through which that energy generated can be transfered.

Space is not a perfect vacuum, there are actually quite a lot of particles being bombarded through space. Obviously nothing on the order of magnitude of a planet's atmosphere though.

Edited by iResist

Stars emit quite a lot of particles. The sun heats the earth because those particles hit the atmosphere and cause a lot of movement. Quite a bit of the heat of the Earth is also due to the core of the earth.

Yes, the sun emits gargantuan amounts of radiation throughout the electro-magnetic spectrum which then interact with the magnetic field, and atmosphere.