The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A little SWTOR at work

dj-nate

See, there's this thing in the working world called 'work ethic'. When you are paid to be working, you work; you've sold your time, now do your job.

Seriously, why do grown adults act like highschoolers and post on forums / play games when they're supposed to be working? The lack of maturity in some people confounds the mind.

They do because they think mainly about themselves and want pay for as little work output as possible. One reason the "productivity" of the US is so low is because of work ethic type activities like this.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They do because they think mainly about themselves and want pay for as little work output as possible. One reason the "productivity" of the US is so low is because of work ethic type activities like this.

Poor guy. Its okay you will get into the real world eventually.

I'm sure BW is happy you're keeping it in the family, though. ;)

:D it's still installed from the last few days in before the Christmas break, had to wait till the 25th to get my copy so pulled out every BW game I still had the disks for :D

Salary manager here... 7:30 till 4:30 with no lunch. I'm the only manager at our location so I do whatever I want when I want as long as at the end of the day the work is done and the place is clean. I also handle our IT stuff. So If I chose to I could easily play some SWTOR. Instead I just browse the forums, watch youtube vids, and even sometimes watch some netflix when I'm bored.

See, there's this thing in the working world called 'work ethic'. When you are paid to be working, you work; you've sold your time, now do your job.

Seriously, why do grown adults act like highschoolers and post on forums / play games when they're supposed to be working? The lack of maturity in some people confounds the mind.

You clearly do not understand adult jobs. For example, my job is to meet X number of billable hours annually. I meet X + an additional Y which is generally 300-500 additional billable hours. Therefore, as long as I meet X + Y, nobody and I mean NOBODY cares.

Except for you. Difficult concept for sure.:rolleyes:

Not quite... :S....

Here I am on the forums because work is slow. However I am considered a very productive worker.

I hear people constanly complaning about having to get up for 7am to go to work at their "stressful" partime job....

I "the lazy person" have worked 6 back to back 16 hour days to finish our job site start up. If I did not finish it with in 7 days our company would of been back charged $10,000.00 a day. You think that customer that is angry and wants to return his sweater 1 day after the return policy is stressful......

/end rant.

I find this thread and everyone posting in it to be deeply disturbing.

Sickening Americans, seriously immature.

Did you miss the part where we're getting our jobs done and playing during downtime? Here's a glimpse into the real working world: we aren't usually consumed with work for the entirety of our workday.

I find this thread and everyone posting in it to be deeply disturbing.

Sickening Americans, seriously immature.

I find some of these posts offensive. You don't know me or my work ethics. I care about the company I work for, I work late or come in early whenever it is needed (this includes many 16hr+ days). I also relocated away from my friends and family in order to run a new branch. My job is more physically and mentaly demanding then majority of jobs out there. Finally, I work 52+ hrs a week in 6 days and haven't had a scheduled work day off for sickness or vacation in over 13 months. In the end I love my job and enjoy it.

Don't judge some of us just because we can accomplish or work in less time then most people. I browse the forums and watch videos when my work is finished.

I would not play at work unless it was part of my job to play.

Even when I work from home, or am working on a consulting gig that isn't my "day job", I focus on the work I'm doing and get that out of the way. Once all my goals for that day are complete, then I can double-click my favorite icon and fire-up some Star Wars fun.

I agreed to work for pay, so I'm going to do the best job I can while I'm doing that. Granted, we all (or at least the more ADD among us) need forum breaks (like this one) to reset our brains, but I'm still "at" work.

That just may be a cultural more, but it's one I have to hold to in my current profession.

Did you miss the part where we're getting our jobs done and playing during downtime? Here's a glimpse into the real working world: we aren't usually consumed with work for the entirety of our workday.

But baddies have to work twice as hard to make up for being dumb >_>

lol you guys are funny... I bet half of you are all on this forum posting while being at work? Isn't that being unproductive as well?

Are you not being inefficient and unproductive by wasting your time on the forums? Is it any different than someone who opens a SWTOR client?

I think not. All of your spending time on the forums at work are actually being more unproductive because you spend your time posting in heated discussions which drags on and on to the point that an hour has passed.

Anyway I'm wasting my time on the forums at work... I am no different so stop criticizing someone about immaturity. We all spend our time differently at work. Some smoke outside, some flirt with the secretary.

The greatest boss I ever had (other than myself) said to our group once, during a bit of levity...

"Look, we all know my expectations. I expect you to be here at least 40 hours each week. And I expect you to be working at least 75% of that time."

On that note, however, not every employer appreciates having unauthorized software being loaded on their systems, or unauthorized use of the network. Better to ask in advance for permission rather than lose your job over a video game.

I had to clean it up a little bit for the picture.:tran_grin:

I couldn't imagine my desk that clean. I have entirely too many sticky notes. Whoever invented those things needs to die. Something about going to smoke and making it back to not being able to see either of my monitors because people don't understand the concept that multiple items can fit on one sticky note is frustrating.

Working for the DoD I can't exactly play at work not that the machines would run it anyways. Nothing wrong with keeping something in the background or even actively playing so long as at the end of the day the same amount or more work is accomplished. I have my days where I can't even get lunch due to workloads and then the days such as today where I spent the majority of my day on news sites because no tickets came in that couldn't be handled by the tier 1 guys.

And some of us work from home where we can do what we like.