The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Fastest leveling spec?

swtorpeter

Advance prototype has a pretty low down time, the movement speed increase helps immensely in high enemy population area, and kiting elites. I would imagine the merc is much faster with the healing bonuses though.

I stayed AP until the 30s, then went 21pt shield tech.

This one time, while leveling, mako let my hp drop under 90%. It was scary.

When does Mako get.. good? Sitting at 15 here and in Med Watch she'd rather shoot than heal me with me at 30%.

Played both AP and Pyro

PVE Wise my impressions so far are:

AP:

Good AOE (you'll be using prototype flamethrower a lot)

Excelent heat management (no problems at all)

Need to be at 4m (you need to group mobs to AOE them or you will spend time running from one mob to another)

Harder time killing elites (as your single target dps seems to be lower)

You almost never use your blaster attack (you spam flame burst instead - 10m range)

Pyro:

Can't afford to AOE due to heat cost

Need to be babysitting the heat bar all the time

Several 30m nukes but you'll eventually have to run into 4m range to use rocket punch for heat magagement purposes. Most trash mobs die before you have a chance to run to them

Better single target DPS -> you kill elites faster

Filler move is rapid shots as you can't afford to use flame burst all the time.

In the end you end up killing mobs a lot faster with a pyro spec. Also don't undersestimate the power of Gault for clearing groups of trash mobs, just don't forget to switch to mako for harder fights.

Edited by grinkor

Why does everyone say something else?:p

Because all specs are viable, in my case I tried pyro at 32, doing the mission between acts I/II on dromund kaas, got halfway through the cave and just.. fleet pass'd. couldn't do it, rotation is simle enough, flame burst -> Thermal missile -> Rail shot/Rocket punch rotation, keep dots up.

I seemed to kill painfully slower than I did as a shieldtech (..odd, I know), and died really quick.. went back to shield tech and.. fine again.

Thinking about switching to AP and trying it out when I finish up Taris, because as shield tech my rotation is usually just Dart -> charge ->Flamethrower -> Rocket punch/railshot spam anyhow, having prototype flamethrower seems like it'd be useful.. though i'm loathe to give up my precious ion cannister.

is really why my alt-itis has been so sgtrong lately, the PT trees just kind of.. suck, with my sorc i'm building towards something, Death field, free FL, FL making my spells isnta-cast, Chain lightning.. seems like i'm reaching for milestones.

.. my PT.. not so much, shield tech's capstone is crap, and there is no real milestone after flameshield.. Pyro has no milestones, top half of the tree is tiny 3% bonuses and wierd defensive bonuses..

AP.. i've not really looked at, but doesn't seem much better.

Edited by Kyuubil

After leveling a Deception-Assassin to 50, leveling a Shield-Tech is lulz.

Pulling an elite as a ST is incredibly easy. I could randomly hit buttons and survive every time. Elites+adds are barely an issue either, while as a Deca-Sin you generally killed the trash, died and then went back for the elite.

When does Mako get.. good? Sitting at 15 here and in Med Watch she'd rather shoot than heal me with me at 30%.

Then turn off her attacks and just enable all of her heals. Later when she gets cc, turn that on too. She's always good as long as you keep her gear up to date and manage her abilities to your liking.

Why does everyone say something else?:p

What role do you want to fill with the PT at end game? Take that tree, take your time leveling and get good at it. Some PT builds level faster than others, but none compare to mercs. "Fast" and "PT leveling" should not be in the same sentence. Better to sit back and enjoy the ride :)