If lightsabers are weightless weapons why does Obi-wan look so exhausted

chrisftw

In the Last fight scene of episode 3 obi-wan looks pretty spent after the rather lenghty lightsaber fight with Anikin.

since lightsabers are weightless i'm not really understanding how he ran out of stamina towards the end there.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBo_oMGnFiU&feature=related

link for source material.

Edited by chrisftw

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The light saber might not weigh much, but I advice you to pick something light up and start swinging it around, then you start jumping around and finally you start jumping and rolling while swinging this 'light object of unknown description'. Then when you're out of breath and flailing on the floor gripping your chest, you ask your question again, and you will have your answer. And using the force is exhausting, it's not a endless font of power if I understand things correctly.

MvH

Suiken.

In the Last fight scene of episode 3 obi-wan looks pretty spent after the rather lenghty lightsaber fight with Anikin.

since lightsabers are weightless i'm not really understanding how he ran out of stamina towards the end there.

Did You even SEE how many times they jumped over a FIERY planet? No duh he's exhausted!

Anakin gave Kenobi a run for his money

You have to understand, he was fighting with Anakin... When lightsabers clash whoever is the more powerful will eventually break through the others defence. That being said, Obi was exhausted because he was fighting with full power, and the heat didn't help things either.

Every swing was a homerun shot, otherwise, Anakin would of just broke through his defence and killed him. Lightsabers aren't weightless, the blade is, but the hilt is about 2 pounds or something like that. Swinging at full power though, anyone is bound to be tired. Especially clashing with someone as powerful as yourself.

Lightsabers are weightless? If lightsabers are weightless (hell, if they're even lightweight), why is strength a stat?

George lucas says that the saber's blade which in all respects is the part of the blade that gives most of the weight of a sword. Is weightless its pure light and plasma.

only the hilt would have weight to it.

however i do like the reply of the fact that using a lightsaber does take using the force constantly (so you know where your blade is in relation to your enemies blade.) and since using force uses a bit of your own strength i can see how obi-wan was out of breath towards the end of the fight.

right before he cut up anikin he could hardly parry anikins saber strikes. and had the fight continued on equal ground i think obi-wan would of have lost if not for simply having no more stamina to put up a decent fight.

Go get two nerf bats. Give one to a friend. Now furiously try to hit each other with them. Do some acrobatics, lots of jumping and make sure you're doing this on a 110 F degree day.

Now try to ask that question again. :D

Edited by Sai-to

Not only is using the force exhausting, the focus required in the fight and that they are in a VERY VERY HOT place! Yes. Also weightlessness in a saber does not mean one doesn't

tire. A fist fight between two men can also be tiring in fact it is!

I cannot remember the documentary but if I remember correctly Lucas stated the lightsabers are heavy that is why only force users could wield them.

It would take the force to swing an item that weight that much.

I cannot remember the documentary but if I remember correctly Lucas stated the lightsabers are heavy that is why only force users could wield them.

It would take the force to swing an item that weight that much.

Unfortunately, your memory is not correct. The blade of a lightsaber is weightless, and the hilt is nor more than a kilogram or so.

That doesn't mean that swinging around a nerf bat with all your strength, leaping around obstacles, dodging and weaving acrobatically, all within a volcano wouldn't make you exhausted.

Or as someone else said, even fighting unarmed tires you out.

Unfortunately, your memory is not correct. The blade of a lightsaber is weightless, and the hilt is nor more than a kilogram or so.

That doesn't mean that swinging around a nerf bat with all your strength, leaping around obstacles, dodging and weaving acrobatically, all within a volcano wouldn't make you exhausted.

Or as someone else said, even fighting unarmed tires you out.

My memory is not mistaken. I am not the only one do a search and find it.

Here is one link I found and yes it is on another forum discussing this same issue but there are people there who mention what I am talking about.

Lucas said the sabers are heavy and I did see this in a documentary. I was being polite and trying not to be offensive when I stated if my memory is correct. I knew my memory was correct.

On top of the saber being heavy, yes you also have a lot of acrobatic fighting that will exhaust one also.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-345175-how-much-would-a-lightsaber-weigh.html

Another place: 30 kg hilt

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Lightsaber/Archive2

Edited by Cleux

My memory is not mistaken. I am not the only one do a search and find it.

Here is one link I found and yes it is on another forum discussing this same issue but there are people there who mention what I am talking about.

Lucas said the sabers are heavy and I did see this in a documentary. I was being polite and trying not to be offensive when I stated if my memory is correct. I knew my memory was correct.

On top of the saber being heavy, yes you also have a lot of acrobatic fighting that will exhaust one also.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-345175-how-much-would-a-lightsaber-weigh.html

Another place: 30 kg hilt

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Lightsaber/Archive2

EDIT: Actually here:

"George told the actors to imagine the handles were 50-60lbs so that they always kept two hands on the handle because of the power created when they hit together."

So yeah, the handles were NEVER said to be 50-60 lbs. They were only instructed to IMAGINE they were that heavy so that they would "look right" in fight scenes when the "lightsaber's" magnetic fields collided..

Edited by Sai-to

"George told the actors to imagine the handles were 50-60lbs so that they always kept two hands on the handle because of the power created when they hit together."

So yeah, the handles were NEVER said to be 50-60 lbs. They were only instructed to IMAGINE they were that heavy so that they would "look right" in fight scenes when the "lightsaber's" magnetic fields collided..

but still though that leaves the blade part of the saber weightless. which makes total sense since its nothing but light and plasma. particles don't have weight.

Wow, i guess the OP has never done an aerobics pass (or any other form of cardio-vascular excersise).

you can run around and swing an empty coke-bottle and you'll still be exhausted after a while.

It's an amusing thought that I could do backflips to get home without exhausting myself if I just don't make the mistake of carrying anything heavy.

Life would be so much easier. I am not sure it would help my weight, though.

hmm lets see...constant furious movement,resistance of anakins saber,the Heat of the molten magma all around them! ..might have something to do with it..just sayin.

This, he's tired because he's doing more than holding the lightsaber, he's also fighting with it.

Box 10 rounds of 1 minute with 30 seconds rest between on a punching bag. Make sure you keep moving all the time. Bag gloves are also almost weightless.

You'll understand after round 3 ;)

The props did not weight that much so he had to tell them how he envisioned the universe. Yes he told them it weighed that much so they would keep both hands on the lightsaber.

Had the weight of the hilt not been a part of the actors getting into character all he would have said was to use both hands on the lightsaber. The characters were given direction and his direction was based his interpretation of the universe and in his interpretation the lightsabers are heavy.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBo_oMGnFiU&feature=related

link for source material.

If the only way to run out of stamina is to carry/fight with something heavy, then why am I completely f***ing dead after 3 minutes of jumping jacks?? I am not carrying anything!

ok, I am out of condition :(

The blade of a lightsaber may be weightless, but the cycling plasma gives it a strong gyroscopic effect. It's for this reason that they need a lot of strength and dexterity to control, and why they are dangerous in the hands of those without heightened awareness.