Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

An American playing on a European server?

RadasNoir

For a variety of different reasons, I've been thinking about playing on a European server, despite living here in America, and I was curious: would playing on a EU server from here effect my game performance in any way, in terms of lag and such? I have actually rolled a couple characters on a EU server recently just to see, and it didn't seem like anything was effected, but I just wanted to double-check with anyone on here who might know better than I about such things.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

For a variety of different reasons, I've been thinking about playing on a European server, despite living here in America, and I was curious: would playing on a EU server from here effect my game performance in any way, in terms of lag and such? I have actually rolled a couple characters on a EU server recently just to see, and it didn't seem like anything was effected, but I just wanted to double-check with anyone on here who might know better than I about such things.

Depending on where the servers physically are it can. The farther from you the server is the higher the possibility of lag. Other than that the localization is the only other thing I could imagine as well as the chat youd see. I know I for one would likely be lost on an english EU server as I do not know/understand most UK slang lol

the real question is why? no one speaks english, no one plays at the same times as you, and latency times due to distance is most likely not in your favor there are many negatives and reasons not to. so why?

Wat? You know, there are English servers in the EU...

the real question is why? no one speaks english, no one plays at the same times as you, and latency times due to distance is most likely not in your favor there are many negatives and reasons not to. so why?

Noone speaks English? Lol

We have a number of US players in out Guild; we came from SWG and stayed together. We play on the busiest EU server and none of them have indicated any issues.

I also play on a couple of US servers from time to time and have had no lag issues either.

First there are english speaking EU servers. Second, some of us born and bread Americans actually speak second and third lanquages. third perhaps she has friends she wants to play with or the server pops on the EU servers fit her play time better. The only issue is lag but that really depends both on her location and her ISP as to how great an effect that will have on her. I know quite a few Euros who are playing on NA servers and have no noticeable negative effects.

OP i would suggest to make an alt on the server you are thinking about and see how the distance effects any lag effects.

Your latency would be a little on the high end and you would notice it everywhere.

Not really anymore, On the European servers I get 150-180 MS which is what I used to get on Eastern WoW servers back before all the network upgrades that have been done over the past few years. This day in age, unless you're playing halfway across the globe, latency isn't too to bad. But it will be noticeable, yes.

Thanks for the feedback, all. From the sounds if it, my performance shouldn't really suffer, if it suffers at all. Like I said, I did roll a couple characters already on a fairly highly populated EU server, and didn't really notice any lag problems beyond the ones I would normally have even on an American server, but I wanted to double-check to make sure.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.