Assassins suck

StrifedRevan

ppl can say what they want, I am very happy with my assassin and how it works, and I know that I am proberly one of the most valued players on my team be it pug or premade vs pug or premade. And I know for a fact thats a shared oppinion on the server I play on.

And tbh thats enough for me, if ppl insist to complain about the class and how it is, so be it.

In the end if we do get buffed I will just be that much stronger.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally posted under this thread agreeing with the OP, but since then I have picked up some new tricks, played around with different spec, and upgrades some of my core items I.e. Weapon.

All I can say is that ASSASSINS DO NOT SUCK. But yes some tweaks would definitely be nice which can be said about all the other classes. And of course I will enjoy playing my Sin especially in PVP so much more once they fix the ability lag and lack of responsiveness.

I've had success on my assassin, and I've received many beat downs.

Lately, things have been going horrible. I use every tool in our kit - every CD possible including stims. I have 5 pieces of champion gear thus far.

I prefer a deception Spec like Upzie's, however I have never seen a crit higher then 3800.

Lately I've simply been getting Rick-Rolled over and over and the frustration is becoming insurmountable.

At this point, some of you will stop reading and reply about more QQ and how I do not know how to play. That's fine, be ignorant because you don't want to take the time to share what you think you know.

When you are kept chain-stunned until death time and time again you won't be any more competitive then anyone else.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) - I get 3 shotted by smugglers in a matter of seconds and a single channel of force lighting will destroy me if I am unable to escape due to CD's, yet I simply cannot crank out enough damage to return the favor, I call shenanigans.

This isn't a QQ as much as a plea for those who say they have no problems and love their assassin's to share what, in their opinion, is making them so successful. All I see on these forums is QQ and anti-QQ but no actual useful information. Stop measuring the size of your lightsaber hilts and let's actually help each other out.

Here's the thing people don't get. In any given game, unless no one on your side dies, you've guaranteed a certain number of deaths on your side as a function of your team's power versus their team's power. Let's say in a completely fair match your side is expected to die 30 times.

Let's say Assassins get a new passive: "It-wasn't-me", all damage done to you goes to an ally in 100m of you instead if one is present. Therefore, it is impossible for you to die until all the allies are doomed. If you have this ability, you'll put up amazing DPS numbers. But is your team going to win any more often? No. In fact your team will almost certainly do worse because even an unsupported Assassin in Dark Charge is the second hardest guy to kill (Commandoes are first), and a supported Assassin is probably the hardest guy to kill in the game (Commandos are only better without support since they can heal themselves0. So, you're basically offloading deaths to guys who are easier to kill, who may be as good as you on DPS. This means your team is worse off.

Now let's say you're not Dark Charge speced, here's where it gets interesting. Your DPS is pretty good, but your survivailty is very low. From the enemy's point of view, killing an Assassin means they take out a decent DPS option who dies very easily, as opposed to someone who does comparable DPS (say, Commando/Merc) who is very hard to kill. Since having a man advantage is huge, of course they want to kill you first anyway if you're not using Dark Charge.

Therefore Assassins pretty much should expect to die very often, because it's either beneficial for your team (if you're Dark Charge), or it's beneficial for the enemy team (if you're not using Dark Charge) so it is natural to get clobbered first. In fact, an Assassin not in Dark Charge is about as desireable a target as a pure healer. While the pure healer has higher value, he is presumably much harder to kill (likely guarded, and of course he can heal himself), so it is often a good idea to take out someone with decent value (Assassin) that has very low survivality.

And of course if you die often, there's no way you can put up numbers as good as a guy who never died. But offloading your death to another victim doesn't really change anything so far as winning is concerned. Such ability would only matter if you're not using Dark Charge, and good luck convincing the enemy to not go after one of the high DPS classes with the lowest survivality first.

This isn't a QQ as much as a plea for those who say they have no problems and love their assassin's to share what, in their opinion, is making them so successful. All I see on these forums is QQ and anti-QQ but no actual useful information. Stop measuring the size of your lightsaber hilts and let's actually help each other out.

Ok fair enough I will share what I do that makes me successful. (full disclosure if you haven't read my past posts I think sins themselves are fine it's other classes that are the problem and that the melee archetype needs some adjustment in general to counter range)

I played WAR for years. WAR is all PVP all the time bc that's how the game was designed so it was a great place to build up a skill base. It taught me what kind of effects and abilities are more useful than others in PvP. How to coordinate CC correctly (WAR has immunity timers so if your target is immune to that CC you want to use you waste a cd if you fire it off without thinking), it taught me to only target a tank if no one else is in a reasonable distance, it taught me how to kite (this is more for my merc toon but knowing how to kite I know how to stop a kite), it taught me the value of creating altsf in classes you are having a hard time dealing with to see what their weaknesses are, most importantly it taught me that PvP is team sport. Whine, complain, and scream all you want if you didn't roll in a premade it's your own fault your team sucks (i do prefer to pug though I believe pugging builds up skill far more bc you don't rely on your team as much)

I have 25 key bindings spread between sin abilities, throw huttball, defensive cds, guard, taunt, and buffs ect all of which with previous practice I can successfully execute. Honestly if you take nothing else away from what I say it's that you need to learn to deal with a large amount of bindings for Sins to work well. Find a binding paradigm that works for you best. Don't be afraid to try one just bc PvP elitists say their paradigm is correct and all others are wrong. I use a very unique binding set and I perform consistently excellent bc it's comfortable for me.

Learn to punish ppl who bring cast times into PvP. Cast times are generally powerful abilities so you want to deincentivize them for your target. Learn which icons are the most threatening that class can put out (for instance tracer missile is a very important part of the Merc Arsenal rotation) and wait for it to be about halfway done then interrupt it. Next time they try to use that ability low slash them and use the mez time for the cd on jolt to drop. Next time they use it interrupt them again or stun if jolt isn't off cd and just keep rotating through as much as possible. This tactic works wonders against anyone who brings a long cast spec into PvP.

Don't get bloodlust. This is the single biggest killer of ppl in PvP. I see it all the time. A common tactic I employ as a tank is to run away even though my health isn't in danger and I might in fact be able to win a fight against a couple opponents. I do this bc ppl are easily fooled into following you all around the areas for several minutes unable to help their team where they might be back in the action in less than a minute if I just killed them. If your target is running away from you and they are not valuable enough to warrant chasing after (ie not the huttball carrier) let them go if they got a good lead on you it's generally not worth the hassle of killing them compared to helping do an objective.

An extension of this is learn when not to kill an weakened opponent. This is another common mistake I see ppl making. Why are you killing ppl so far behind the huttball carrier that they have no chance to stop them. It sends them back to the enemy spawn so they can attack the huttball carrier easily. Stop doing that.

Learn the animations of the opponent. For instance I know what voltaic slash looks like so I know after 2 vslash/clairvoyant I know to pop force shroud so I don't eat a 5k shock/project. Same goes with other high damage attacks have clues before they are coming.

Those are some of the handy lessons I can pass down. The most important lessons is of course experiment. Find the spec that works for you. Different specs work for different ppl.

Yeah I pretty much agree with you there. I'm a lvl 50 full columi with some rakata assassin and I'm either going to reroll or unsub. (strictly pve viewpoint) There is nothing we can do as well as any other class, by a longshot.

When tanking we can't generate single target threat without using high threat aoe abilities which break all the cc everywhere (when pull is on cooldown which it typically is and fighting ranged mobs which is > half.)

When Dpsing in raids using madness bc its has the highest steady dps output, not only does our dps on long fights not hold a flame next to other dps classes, but it takes so long to ramp up dps on targets that most fights (trash pulls) show us being pretty much useless (madness pve spec).

Yeah I pretty much agree with you there. I'm a lvl 50 full columi with some rakata assassin and I'm either going to reroll or unsub. (strictly pve viewpoint) There is nothing we can do as well as any other class, by a longshot.

When tanking we can't generate single target threat without using high threat aoe abilities which break all the cc everywhere (when pull is on cooldown which it typically is and fighting ranged mobs which is > half.)

When Dpsing in raids using madness bc its has the highest steady dps output, not only does our dps on long fights not hold a flame next to other dps classes, but it takes so long to ramp up dps on targets that most fights (trash pulls) show us being pretty much useless (madness pve spec).

I tried a madness build in EV and it's possibly my worse raid experience ever. I would quit the game if that was the only viable assassin playstyle tbh. Madness does have the highest _sustained_ dps, which is yes, useless in the current boss-design (AoE on ground ever 15-20 seconds)

After going back to my deception spec, it was like day and night. Could run in , unleash a burst of dmg, run out on boss abilites and come back with full force to do another burst.

Most of the endgame pve bosses sux for melee tho, else I think we're more than capable of outdpsing sorc's f ex. Only a dps meeter would tell tho.

Edited by excentric

I am a level 50 deception assassin in full tier 2 champion gear and I feel that my damage is lower than any other classes for sure. If you don't agree I would like to see any one of you beat an equally skilled and geared operative, or jedi sage for starters.

You can say all day long that this isn't balanced 1v1 and "your role in group pvp blah blah.... I think it is very bad design to have 0% chance to beat some classes 1v1. Just have to log and find something else to play if you are getting griefed cuz you sure won't win against several other classes

I always had the impression assassin would be op in PvP because you are simply unkillable?

Selfheal, lower escape cooldowns and maul spamming ftw? Simply try playing with tank tree and jump around your enemy like yoda and you will see the difference:D

I've had success on my assassin, and I've received many beat downs.

Lately, things have been going horrible. I use every tool in our kit - every CD possible including stims. I have 5 pieces of champion gear thus far.

I prefer a deception Spec like Upzie's, however I have never seen a crit higher then 3800.

Lately I've simply been getting Rick-Rolled over and over and the frustration is becoming insurmountable.

At this point, some of you will stop reading and reply about more QQ and how I do not know how to play. That's fine, be ignorant because you don't want to take the time to share what you think you know.

When you are kept chain-stunned until death time and time again you won't be any more competitive then anyone else.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) - I get 3 shotted by smugglers in a matter of seconds and a single channel of force lighting will destroy me if I am unable to escape due to CD's, yet I simply cannot crank out enough damage to return the favor, I call shenanigans.

Deceptions survivability is TERRIBLE. We're hands down the squishiest class in the game.

Pro tip: Surging Charge and Lightning Charge are terrible. Use Dark Charge no matter what spec you are.

The talents that improve surging charge aren't even worth getting even if you go all the way up the deception tree.

Problem is, Dark Charge comes with a hefty 5% damage loss. I really want it to be like Powertech Ion Cylinder - no downside to it at all.

Whaaaat? I was thinking the total opposite. I'm level 18 and I kill level 50s just fine. I think we're the most OP class. You're running out of force? You need to stealth, and get the bonus. After that bonus is over my target is almost always dead, and I stealth away. You're doing it wrong..

I mostly agree with the op, i am hugely disappointed with my assasin. The problem is the deception tree sucks and it was the reason i wanted to play assasin. I cant work out what role it fits into as all the other classes excel in at least one tree. I love to play my assasin but when i look at the other classes at work then i want to shout at BW for neutering my guy. It almost feels like he is a jack of all trades and master of none. They have to be played really well to be average compared to other classes. It seems crazy that level 20's from other classes outperform a well geared 50 of this class but it happened all the time in warzones. And it isn't possible for every assasin to be a noob now is it? The class is so unpredictable (broken) you can hit a guy for 3.5k with maul and then hit the same guy again for nothing its really frustrating. I tried madness and thats why I gave up and rerolled, whats the point in a stealth melee class doing twice the damage when specced in ranged dot tree? Shows how bad a melee class it is.

I mostly agree with the op, i am hugely disappointed with my assasin. The problem is the deception tree sucks and it was the reason i wanted to play assasin. I cant work out what role it fits into as all the other classes excel in at least one tree. I love to play my assasin but when i look at the other classes at work then i want to shout at BW for neutering my guy. It almost feels like he is a jack of all trades and master of none. They have to be played really well to be average compared to other classes. It seems crazy that level 20's from other classes outperform a well geared 50 of this class but it happened all the time in warzones. And it isn't possible for every assasin to be a noob now is it? The class is so unpredictable (broken) you can hit a guy for 3.5k with maul and then hit the same guy again for nothing its really frustrating. I tried madness and thats why I gave up and rerolled, whats the point in a stealth melee class doing twice the damage when specced in ranged dot tree? Shows how bad a melee class it is.

Why the hell do you take a pve spec to a pvp affair. everybody knows that the 23/18 darkness madness hybrid is the pvp spec right now. BW didnt neuter you class , you did. With your own inability to overcome your own image of the class.

Ok fair enough I will share what I do that makes me successful. (full disclosure if you haven't read my past posts I think sins themselves are fine it's other classes that are the problem and that the melee archetype needs some adjustment in general to counter range)

I played WAR for years. WAR is all PVP all the time bc that's how the game was designed so it was a great place to build up a skill base. It taught me what kind of effects and abilities are more useful than others in PvP. How to coordinate CC correctly (WAR has immunity timers so if your target is immune to that CC you want to use you waste a cd if you fire it off without thinking), it taught me to only target a tank if no one else is in a reasonable distance, it taught me how to kite (this is more for my merc toon but knowing how to kite I know how to stop a kite), it taught me the value of creating altsf in classes you are having a hard time dealing with to see what their weaknesses are, most importantly it taught me that PvP is team sport. Whine, complain, and scream all you want if you didn't roll in a premade it's your own fault your team sucks (i do prefer to pug though I believe pugging builds up skill far more bc you don't rely on your team as much)

I have 25 key bindings spread between sin abilities, throw huttball, defensive cds, guard, taunt, and buffs ect all of which with previous practice I can successfully execute. Honestly if you take nothing else away from what I say it's that you need to learn to deal with a large amount of bindings for Sins to work well. Find a binding paradigm that works for you best. Don't be afraid to try one just bc PvP elitists say their paradigm is correct and all others are wrong. I use a very unique binding set and I perform consistently excellent bc it's comfortable for me.

Learn to punish ppl who bring cast times into PvP. Cast times are generally powerful abilities so you want to deincentivize them for your target. Learn which icons are the most threatening that class can put out (for instance tracer missile is a very important part of the Merc Arsenal rotation) and wait for it to be about halfway done then interrupt it. Next time they try to use that ability low slash them and use the mez time for the cd on jolt to drop. Next time they use it interrupt them again or stun if jolt isn't off cd and just keep rotating through as much as possible. This tactic works wonders against anyone who brings a long cast spec into PvP.

Don't get bloodlust. This is the single biggest killer of ppl in PvP. I see it all the time. A common tactic I employ as a tank is to run away even though my health isn't in danger and I might in fact be able to win a fight against a couple opponents. I do this bc ppl are easily fooled into following you all around the areas for several minutes unable to help their team where they might be back in the action in less than a minute if I just killed them. If your target is running away from you and they are not valuable enough to warrant chasing after (ie not the huttball carrier) let them go if they got a good lead on you it's generally not worth the hassle of killing them compared to helping do an objective.

An extension of this is learn when not to kill an weakened opponent. This is another common mistake I see ppl making. Why are you killing ppl so far behind the huttball carrier that they have no chance to stop them. It sends them back to the enemy spawn so they can attack the huttball carrier easily. Stop doing that.

Learn the animations of the opponent. For instance I know what voltaic slash looks like so I know after 2 vslash/clairvoyant I know to pop force shroud so I don't eat a 5k shock/project. Same goes with other high damage attacks have clues before they are coming.

Those are some of the handy lessons I can pass down. The most important lessons is of course experiment. Find the spec that works for you. Different specs work for different ppl.

This! This! This!

This is what it takes to be good. Everyone thinks, wahhh its unfair we cant spam one buttona and be awesome at PVP! Well those people only seem awesome cause they are beating you. IF this guy, or anyone who understands PVP was to go against said 1 button spammer, they would sink like a brick.

I also want to point out the part about hotkeys. Some people still refuse to acknowledge just how important this is for PVP. And think, that just because they have some success, they dont need to learn. Keep telling yourself that while i run circles around you. You're only beating other clickers. I know its hard to get use to guys, trust me, we werent born to hotkey. I had to learn just like he did. BUt now that I use them, my performance is litterally 10 fold.

Rekey QE, and strafe by holding down the mouse keys and using a and d. Hell I could prob rekey W, as I almost always move with M1/2. Put your most use abilities on mouse 4 and 5(Mouse 3 is great too, but not always feesable), and q and e. Then add a shift modifier to each of those buttons. Now you have 8 buttons you can press without even thinking about moving your hand. No need to look away from the action. You can keep your back away from backstabbers, or get to the back of people to use maul SOOO much easier. I then go on to use 1-6, and shift 1-6, f,g,v,c,x,z and shift variants of it. Shift t and b, alt q and e.

Yes, you have to get used to it. And alts can make it tough, but every class shares a lot of common abilities(alpha strikes, cooldown strikes, buffs, def, stuns, cc break, ect). Just keep those in the same place and its easy to remember. ANd if you start doing it when your character is a low lvl, by the time you get to 50, you wont believe you ever played by clicking.

Clicking vs hotkeying is litteraly comparable to playing a FPS back in the day with 1 analog stick(and having to use shoulder keys to strafe), versus using 2 now.

Im also not saying we dont need some work, deception would be fine if it had survivability. We have way more frontal attack capabilities than the op, and a lot of versisitility that the op doesnt have, but lack there burst. They make up for lack of def by having the burst. We should have more survivability to make up for the lack of burst, and we dont. Hence why i switched to darkness. But we arent the broken mess many are making us out to be.

Edited by Saberolson

Using all of your abilities to the absolute fullest is of course going to reap positive results. The complaints regarding sins are not just about that though. Solo leveling can be quite difficult and in PvP there are classes that can do far more damage by applying the same amount of effort. Take a commando for instance... they can live much longer and put out just as much DPS with the same amount of effort.

For as fast as I die, I should be able to do way more damage, especially with all the champ gear +expertise, it's ridiculous.

2/31/8

I pretty much agree with points from both sides of this argument. I think the Assassin is a great class and I love playing mine, but at the same time I do believe the Deception tree is lacking in some areas.

Does a deception build kick out some massive damage? Yes. Is a deception build extremely squishy? Yes, and it should be.

In my opinion what makes the "DPS" deception class fall short then some other DPS classes is definately not our damage. Instead, I feel we lack in other areas.

People complain about OPs and Scoundrels. They have amazing burst damage, stealth, are very squishy, and the ability to escape a fight. Sounds alot like Assassin's DPS builds, but those classes have some form of self heal. Decep. Assassin's do not in PVP. Yes, we do have some self protection buffs, but they are short lived and have moderate length cooldowns.

Because of this I find that the Decep. build is lacking in DPS OR lacking in some kind of mid-battle self heal. We all know that without a cooldown on Force Cloak, we are extremely squishy with almost no survivability. So why do our DPS numbers not reflect that?

My bottom line opinion is that Deception Assassins are all around probably the easiest damage class to kill. So why do we not have the highest DPS numbers?

Just because you rolled a class that was wrong for you, does not mean the class is actually bad, and half the things in your post is just pure BS (Lets just take the DC for 3k max with things popped, Record for me is 6.4k and I regualer hit numbers like 5.8-6k when I pop cd's.)

Just because your bad at playing Assassin or do not enjoy them, does not mean its like that for all of us.

To be frank, I enjoy the class and for me and alot others it work quite well. This just comes to show that valor rank to some extend means nothing, its nothing but the amount of time put into wz's, high rank clearly does not = understanding of the class and how its supposed to function.

Its good that you enjoy other class's grind them up and enjoy the game, but leave the emo QQ threads alone, we got plenty of them on these fora without having to add yours aswell.

It's fine to disagree with posters, and in some cases successfully refute their points, but why people feel its their place to tell others to stop posting their views is beyond me. A little respect for others?

Whaaaat? I was thinking the total opposite. I'm level 18 and I kill level 50s just fine. I think we're the most OP class. You're running out of force? You need to stealth, and get the bonus. After that bonus is over my target is almost always dead, and I stealth away. You're doing it wrong..

You feel powerful being relegated to this? taking scraps from the big boys?

Edited by RaulTheConquerer

I pretty much agree with points from both sides of this argument. I think the Assassin is a great class and I love playing mine, but at the same time I do believe the Deception tree is lacking in some areas.

Does a deception build kick out some massive damage? Yes. Is a deception build extremely squishy? Yes, and it should be.

In my opinion what makes the "DPS" deception class fall short then some other DPS classes is definately not our damage. Instead, I feel we lack in other areas.

People complain about OPs and Scoundrels. They have amazing burst damage, stealth, are very squishy, and the ability to escape a fight. Sounds alot like Assassin's DPS builds, but those classes have some form of self heal. Decep. Assassin's do not in PVP. Yes, we do have some self protection buffs, but they are short lived and have moderate length cooldowns.

Because of this I find that the Decep. build is lacking in DPS OR lacking in some kind of mid-battle self heal. We all know that without a cooldown on Force Cloak, we are extremely squishy with almost no survivability. So why do our DPS numbers not reflect that?

My bottom line opinion is that Deception Assassins are all around probably the easiest damage class to kill. So why do we not have the highest DPS numbers?

I really think you hit the nail on the head and its the same point ive been trying to make. Our class is fine with the damage we do, if we had a little more survivability. If we arent going to get more survivability, then we need more damage.

We have more options to do damage from the front than the op, and we really have more tools too, so i personally feel we dont need more damage, we just need more survivability, and some kind of self heal or shield would be perfect. WE just drop like flies out there.

The Assassin in Sith culture has nothing to do with the rogue style of killing. It's a status. It was a poor choice of names on Bioware's part. Truly, it was.

I've been reading the forums for only about a month now, but more than half of the people complaining about Assassin have boiled down to basically - "this doesn't feel like an Assassin, it's not what I thought it was."

That's the fault of their naming the class Assassin.

Honestly? They should have called the basic class "Sith Scholar", and then branched out with "Sith Sorcerer" and "Sith Inquisitor".

The class feels more like an Inquisitor than an Assassin game-style wise...and it would have been less confusing for people who didn't read up on the classes before picking one.

Then they could have called the middle DPS tree "Assassination" rather than Deception if they really wanted people to be able to call themselves Assassins. Personally, I've wrapped my mind around "Assassin" being a title in Sith society, and my class is more of an Inquisitor.

But besides the "naming problem" screwing people up and giving false impressions, the class itself really is fine. It's just not for nearly the amount of people currently playing it.

Darkness hybrids are stellar in pvp, and good Deception players are destroying endgame pve. The cream of the crop Deception pvpers are obliterating their opposition as well. This is a class that you have to be very good at to succeed, because there is more to think about than any other class.

I like this. As I was reading through the thread I started saying to myself, "Aren't we supposed to be like Darth Maul?" At least that's the character I felt we most closely resembled.

When I think of Darth Maul (Not the word "Assassin") I think of an acrobatic toe to toe fighter. With, or Without stealth. I'd be more than happy to give that to the Operatives as that seems like it would fit them just as well. One that has some tricks up their sleeve, but certainly isn't afraid to get up close and personal with a foe.

At the moment I think it's role confusion like many have pointed out. The class seems gimped because it hasn't really found it's niche. It seems like other classes can perform at given aspects better than what we can. Yet we're kind of all around. The only thing we can't do is heal others, and I've yet to see how our self healing ability is. I do consider our class to be more of a hybrid, just when I think of Darth Maul that's what I picture.

I think it's just a state of not knowing what direction to do with our class. Buffs, Nerfs I think it's more mechanics that need working on not number crunching necessarily.