Staring at my status bar

QuadDamage

As a level 50 Sage, Telekinetic spec, I've come to the conclusion that I stare at my itty bitty status bar more than I watch the boss fights. Why is this you may wonder? Because I'm sitting here waiting for Psychic Projection (proc that causes Telekinetic Throw to cast twice as fast), and Tidal Force (proc that causes Telekinetic Wave to cast instantly) to pop up. While there is a slight graphic indicator on my character showing that Tidal Force is up, it really isn't enough.

I'm just wondering if we could have some sort of icon that flashes above, or on our character or something so we don't have to sit and stare at our itty bitty status bar. It would also be nice to have a filter that shows just our dots, and not everyone else's. It gets a little annoying sitting there looking at multiple Sage's Weaken Mind, trying to figure out which one is mine, and when it's about to expire.

Also a update on the Telekinetic Throw graphic would be lovely. The animation is pretty silly for a character who cast other spells that show such great force and power behind them. I've been wanting to try out Balance for some time, but refuse to simply because Telekinetic Throw is the primary spell, and it's ascetically unpleasing.

I think they should look at "Power Auras". A similar functionality like this WoW Addon would be great (a big icon in the centre of the screen popping up when you got 3 stacks of Harnessed Shadows etc.), best as configurable as "Power Auras".

I agree, I have no clue when procs happen, and in pvp as well it is not beneficial to not know what benefits are available cause you have to watch the dynamic environment, makes no sense a better visual or audio indicator cannot be implimented.

I think they should look at "Power Auras". A similar functionality like this WoW Addon would be great (a big icon in the centre of the screen popping up when you got 3 stacks of Harnessed Shadows etc.), best as configurable as "Power Auras".

Yeah WoW added power auras to the default UI when Cata launched.

That's a feature BioWare ignored...

well i know your head glows when you get insta wave cast, but thats about it, i too always look at my buffs to see what has procced. Needs to be changed.

Eyes on my character arent located in the back of the head, so not easy to notice in pvp

I vote to use that 'other' MMOs proc notification system; cool-looking, distinguishable, color coordinated graphics above the characters head. That has to be one of the most well received and grossly underated featured to ever be added to a game for players. Staring at buff bars is like played a texted based action game.... Edited by EbbnFlow

It might be subtle. My smuggler started giggling during combat and it took awhile to realize she did this when Upper Hand proc'ed.

OMG!

That's what that is? I've been hearing that all the time in PvP and have been wondering what causes it. Mystery solved, thank you.

This is the only thing i really miss, coming from fully customizable UI in Warcraft.

And I mean Power Auras addon - the built in system in cata didn't suit me well.

there is absolutely no fun watching those little squares.

This doesn't help my sage, but it may give us hope. My main is a Scoundrel and whenever our Upper Hand procs off our HoT (SRMP), the character giggles. You may have been running around with a healing Smug (unlikely, given our current status of "OPness") and heard random giggling. That's what that is.

About 3 weeks ago, took about half an hour running through an Op with our Ops leader going WHO KEEPS DOING THAT?! for me to pick up on it. Really a nice feature. Would love to see it added to sage abilities since its such a proc-based class.

Giggles wont work if its being played for everyone in the area. how happy would the 2nd smuggler be if he thought he procced only to find out it was that other dude?

If not a sound, have the local client flash the skill icon somewere upper mid screen large enough to grab attention *adjustable transparency for users* for a second and then quickly fade out. keeps eyes on target, not on rediculously small icons.

If your going to use audible signaling, do NOT make it heard to others. that is fail.

Aura is also ok, but your eyes are generally either on the op's health bars or watching upper mid of screen (unless your odd not doing 3/4 most of the time). players avatar is quite a bit away from upper mid of screen. Aura is not the answer here.

This is from the perspective of a 32pt healer btw.

Edited by Miyuki

Quite a few people I play with don't have sound on in any MMO, they just have vent on and some music.

Visual auras has to be the way forward, lets just hope that because it was a feature used by a successful MMO that is isn't on the Banned development items list.

I vote to use that 'other' MMOs proc notification system; cool-looking, distinguishable, color coordinated graphics above the characters head. That has to be one of the most well received and grossly underated featured to ever be added to a game for players. Staring at buff bars is like played a texted based action game....

This; relying upon player focus on the ability bar when the action is happening in the world around them (regardless context) is clunky.

Sure, you have players that prefer the visual style of watching that bar; but allowing for the full range of focus/learning styles (visual, auditory, and kinesthetic - see: http://people.usd.edu/~bwjames/tut/learning-style/styleres.html) is important in a context environment where you have all forms of input arriving:

Visual is covered with the ability bar state/status AND the addition of a visual cue/effect on the player.

Audio requires a distinct, preferably unique sound cue.

Kinesthetic requires an effect that can be directly tied to physical action (i.e., a result that is linked/tied to the physical activity, which is the direct opposite of a result that presently occurs "at some point" after that activity) to be noticed.

Edited by Phydra

I have to agree that some notification beyond the itty bitty icon on my status bar would be nice. As a full Seer, I'm mainly concerned about the Noble Sacrifice proc. For the most part, I just assume it happened and hit NS after I use Healing Trance. But occasionally I don't get the crit necessary to proc it and I've hit NS anyway, which is a pain.

It's difficult to watch my status bar, Qyzen's health and the mob's casting bar (to interrupt) all at the same time. Some more obvious indicator would be great.

Rift used to have the icon pop up when you procced. Their UI allowed you to move it, but by default it was just right of where you character was in game. Allowing your procs to be moved into some place more visible would be a huge increase to the game play. Tiny auras and giggles just don't cut it during PvP or boss fights.

• 2 weeks later...
Rift used to have the icon pop up when you procced. Their UI allowed you to move it, but by default it was just right of where you character was in game. Allowing your procs to be moved into some place more visible would be a huge increase to the game play. Tiny auras and giggles just don't cut it during PvP or boss fights.

Yeh.. customizable UI.... would be nice (and is expected in todays MMO market).

mebe 3 size selectors... and a unique audible notification too. covers all the bases.

While I agree that there should be a visual/audible notification or perhaps both with the option to choose I do not agree on customizable UI.

While it opens up for a lot of possibilities it also opens up for a lot of exploits.

Pros vs Cons. In my world the riscs are not worth the rewards.

1. Trinkets, or in this case - relics, getting thrown into "1-shot macros" together with adrenals and god knows what people can come up with. There's always someone looking to exploit the system under the pretence of "exploring" the game.

this will usually lead to people crying and whining and leading to nerfs of something that should not have been possible in the first place.

2. Addons that is made with one purpose in mind but in the hands of todays average player becomes a meassurement of "skill" in a game. No names mentioned.

3. This one is a personal opinion. Theorycrafting based on combat logs ruling out specs untill there is 1-2 specs written down as being the optimal specs. People only accepting these 1-2 specs for raids and other group environments effectively forcing people to play this if they wanna get anywhere in the game.

These are of course personal opinions and I do know a lot of people will disagree with me. Hell some of my best friends do so there's bound to be others.

That being said i can also see the benefits of having the ability to "build" your own UI but as I said. In my world the cons outweigh the pros.

Visual/audible notification is more than enough.

It's a good discussion though! :)

While I agree that there should be a visual/audible notification or perhaps both with the option to choose I do not agree on customizable UI.

Fair enough, lets dissect your arguements below....

While it opens up for a lot of possibilities it also opens up for a lot of exploits.

Wuts a sploit??1!? =)

Pros vs Cons. In my world the riscs are not worth the rewards.

Ok. But are you running a business generating revenue from it like Bioware is with TOR? You have some good arguements below... a bit off topic on occasions but lets see...

1. Trinkets, or in this case - relics, getting thrown into "1-shot macros" together with adrenals and god knows what people can come up with. There's always someone looking to exploit the system under the pretence of "exploring" the game.

I hear ya. Still trying to understand what this has to do with customizable UI... you do know that a static UI is actually easier to macro right? I know for a fact that macros are being used in TOR (mostly for crafting mind you... but some for combat). This is getting off topic tho... macros are a separate issue completely from UI customization.

this will usually lead to people crying and whining and leading to nerfs of something that should not have been possible in the first place.

Macros save time, for sure. Is there a HUGE benefit to this (outside crafting) in TOR? No. This is again not about UI customization however... so on to the next point.

2. Addons that is made with one purpose in mind but in the hands of todays average player becomes a meassurement of "skill" in a game. No names mentioned.

If there is UI customization it will allow players to more optimally set up the UI to their needs. Does this help them pwn in some manner? Definitely. Is it an option that every player has and can use at their descretion? Yep. UI customization in any form will only make the players experience better. No one likes a clunky interface.

3. This one is a personal opinion. Theorycrafting based on combat logs ruling out specs untill there is 1-2 specs written down as being the optimal specs. People only accepting these 1-2 specs for raids and other group environments effectively forcing people to play this if they wanna get anywhere in the game.

We're waayyy off topic with this. But thats cool. there are 4 different ways any class can spec - full 1 tree (choose from 3 trees ofc), or hybrid. Sure, there are more options when hybrid, but generally most hybrids wont be in the 5th tier so when it boils down you have a limited number of "efficient" builds. This also is up to the players taste. On my main (seer), I enjoyed 31pt heal a lot. tried top tier TK and Balance - both were ***. Am now rolling 7/18/16 iirc on the sage. I am melting people left and right now and have yet to get under 300k dmg and typically around 9 to 1 kill/death ratio.

I reviewed other peoples builds and their explinations of why they like it, it's benefits and limitations. Took this info and modified it (3 pts difference overall) to suit my needs.

Is it bad for people to immitate something that works? Not at all.

Who's fault is it that we dont have many choices overall for builds? I think we all know the answer to this. FWIW, I am quite happy with the amount of build choices I have so far. I'm sure it'll get more with Legacy and level cap increases on expansion releases.

These are of course personal opinions and I do know a lot of people will disagree with me. Hell some of my best friends do so there's bound to be others.

As I said before, what you think is best is quite often not what is best for a business, or the overall general population in TOR. Nothing wrong with voicing opinions here, but i'd be nice if people added their 2 copper to how to FIX the problem with ideas, rather than just saying "your wrong. Thats a terrible idea" etc etc. If 10 of your buds all say the same thing, which goes contrary to what you are saying, odds are they are right and you are not. Again... where is the money? 1 person or 10?

That being said i can also see the benefits of having the ability to "build" your own UI but as I said. In my world the cons outweigh the pros.

Visual/audible notification is more than enough.

It's a good discussion though! :)

You perhaps didnt understand the meaning of customizable UI. Lets take the chat window as an example. It has tabs on the top left. It has fairly thick borders. It has rounded corners.

Sure it looks purrdy (matter of opinion there!), but is it EFFICIENT? Do I want 10% of my display space (overall wasted space from poorly designed UI) being wasted so the UI can look like this? That is fail. There needs to be the ability to adjust the UI so it is "compact" or "efficient" and perhaps even "supporting of Naga mouse users". Wasnt asking for complete control - but being able to move your bars and windows around is an absolute BARE MINIMUM nowdays and has been for several years. Does TOR allow all it's fancy UI to be moved and adjusted? Newp. Some. Not good enough. Do I want to look at a VERY small proc/buff bar when I should have eyes on target (or health bars)? Hell no. When I say UI customization, I am talking about giving the players a polished, well thought out set of options that - again - caters to the masses. Taking the ability to change basic layouts in a MMO is a sign that the UI design team most likely are not MMO gamers. And if they are, they should feel shame right now.

Edited by Miyuki