Sniper is the worst ranged DPS?

Kyris_Xiandrii

Let this thread die please.

Sniper damage ramps up immensely at 50, and now that I'm gear and using a good leth/eng spec, I can seriously **** people up. Yeah, it does lack heals/utility, but I'm doing significantly more damage than other ranged DPS

I completely RUINED a battlemaster Commando today in a 1v1. That felt damn good. :D

Stick with it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 is wrong. Snipers stun is 45sec cd and most people get slip away putting it at 30sec cd with a 4 sec 30% sprint... you have seen this cool website called torhead.com? Use it since it's obvious you don't have the game yet.

#2 is questionable since I'm lethality so i'm bouncing around all over. I cast for one ability and I can drop to cover to make me immune to interrupts and push back, or pop entrench if i need to guarantee it to land.

#3 is dead wrong. Cover of any type shield or hard cover gives 20% ranged defense Always. now if your in hard cover and the target is in front of you you take ZERO damage while not attacking. they can only have a chance to attack you if you attack them, and then you still get your 20% ranged defense. which in this game defense is avoidance, no matter if you call it dodge or deflect it all means you missed.

#3.2 Now if cover is skilled then, it could add 30% absorb for the next 3 attacks every 6 seconds. it could add 6% straight damage reduction all the time as well

Nothing you said is correct. Why did you even post?

to be clear, though: only about... 1 attack per enemy character that isn't also a sniper or slinger is affected by cover. If it isnt a ranged weapon attack, cover is totally useless against it.

Yes we are sooo bad, I just had 5100 crit on Takedown on a healer Operative...

"OMGH u kilt teh traget wid no Expertzzz derp derp" - you know what? Even if he had 0 expertise - that means that on a decked guy it would be 10% less, meaning only a mere 4500 damage with 1 instant...

Same goes for my 6300 Ambush... or 4k damage untalented probe.

hey guys ,

i am fairly new to the game and started out as a sniper.

my main goal was (as it seemed so in the description) to have the best suited class for high(est) single target damage per second. cc and survivability was not 'that important' to me.

now after reading in the sniper section i get the feeling that at least on lvl 50 the 'tracer missle merc' is dealing more dps to single targets than the sniper.

So should i now delete my lvl 32 sniper and restart as a merc if i want to play the actual 'sniper-class' ? :(

thanks

Until we get damage meters, the jury is still out on PvE dps.

Or just see who kills their mob quickest on 4th boss EV.

I seem to always be the first or second one to kill my mob (compared to other dps classes on the same type of mob). Then again, even our dps jug finishes within a couple seconds of me.

Edit: Obviously this is an imperfect test, but should provide at least a baseline.

Edited by Rucket

I seem to always be the first or second one to kill my mob (compared to other dps classes on the same type of mob). Then again, even our dps jug finishes within a couple seconds of me.

Edit: Obviously this is an imperfect test, but should provide at least a baseline.

.......you don't constantly get knocked out of cover during this?

Yes we are sooo bad, I just had 5100 crit on Takedown on a healer Operative...

"OMGH u kilt teh traget wid no Expertzzz derp derp" - you know what? Even if he had 0 expertise - that means that on a decked guy it would be 10% less, meaning only a mere 4500 damage with 1 instant...

Same goes for my 6300 Ambush... or 4k damage untalented probe.

I think your full of crap, my sniper has 1800 cunning and 300 surge, and in order to even get 5k in pvp i have to search out a clothie with no expertise and hope the stars align. Even if you had full battlemaster with trinkets and pots up a 6200 would be pretty close to impossible.

EDIT: I shouldn't say impossible, just extremely unlikely. No doubt if you stacked enough buffs and armor pen was on the target you might be able to manage it with full battlemaster on a completely ungeared 50.

Edited by Bludvein

hey guys ,

i am fairly new to the game and started out as a sniper.

my main goal was (as it seemed so in the description) to have the best suited class for high(est) single target damage per second. cc and survivability was not 'that important' to me.

now after reading in the sniper section i get the feeling that at least on lvl 50 the 'tracer missle merc' is dealing more dps to single targets than the sniper.

So should i now delete my lvl 32 sniper and restart as a merc if i want to play the actual 'sniper-class' ? :(

thanks

You base your in-game decisions on what you read on this forums? Why are you still playing then? You should have unsubscribed the second you opened general forum.

Sniper is great and fun to play class. If you are ok with cover mechanic(and by level 32 you probably decided on that) you should continue playing.

That Jug is probably got a 60k HP mob, and sniper should be killing 100k HP one :)

That Jug is probably got a 60k HP mob, and sniper should be killing 100k HP one :)

Nah we use it as a DPS check, so when we do so, we make sure to time the guys on the 100k ones. Everyone is pretty geared too 5/5HM EV, 4/5HM KP.

I play a 41 gunslinger but they are mirrored classes. I use sharpshooter spec in pvp, and consistently get the top dps of every single WZ I play by 100-200k dmg above the 2nd guy below me. In fact not once have I seen a person out damage me in a WZ, or even come close. On top of that, I am using sharpshooter (which seems to be the despised spec for pvp), which is harder to use than dirty fighter (but imo pays off better if your a pro at positioning).

Bottom line is your doing it wrong.

EDIT: I noticed the part where you question our utility, and I gotta laugh... We get a 9 second debuff that reduces accuracy by 45%....FORTY FIVE! I mean they may as well not be shooting at us for those 9 seconds. Add another 3 seconds of invulnerability to that with dodge and then our absorb shield plus ballistic armor if your sharpshooter (another 15% dmg redux). Meanwhile-- 20% armor reduction to said target, snapshot---aimedshot---trickshot---rapid fire. that is 50-80% of their hp gone in 4-5 seconds. Combine that with our unlimited knockbacks/stuns and there is no reason you shouldn't be able to 1v1 pwn anyone.

Edited by Aleutius

Are you really complaining about sniper ? I mean really ? You should be slapped.. of course your not as easy to play as merc or sorc, those are down syndrome classes, sniper takes skill , hence why its fun ! We have TONS of utility and cover is awesome if you work it right.. IF you can't figure it out lethality is just a spec away ... Honestly threads like this leave me confused as hell considering how much my sniper dominates ..

Are you really complaining about sniper ? I mean really ? You should be slapped.. of course your not as easy to play as merc or sorc, those are down syndrome classes, sniper takes skill , hence why its fun ! We have TONS of utility and cover is awesome if you work it right.. IF you can't figure it out lethality is just a spec away ... Honestly threads like this leave me confused as hell considering how much my sniper dominates ..

You have been deducted 1 internet point for using Down's Syndrome as an insult.

Additionally, you have been granted 3 pity points to spend on the written communication improvement seminar of your choice.

omgwtfhax

what's your secret!? D: jerks knock me out of cover every 3-5 seconds -.-;

I don't think they knockback on hard mode or above. Or maybe they just stealth nerfed it. Just did it on hard mode today and there was no knockbacks. It was actually easier despite the almost 30k hp increase.

Not that it was hard before, but it was awfully annoying having to get back in cover every 5 seconds on normal. To top it off, there was no champion mob either. O.o

Edited by Bludvein

I don't think they knockback on hard mode or above. Or maybe they just stealth nerfed it. Just did it on hard mode today and there was no knockbacks. It was actually easier despite the almost 30k hp increase.

Not that it was hard before, but it was awfully annoying having to get back in cover every 5 seconds on normal. To top it off, there was no champion mob either. O.o

Hrm...did it on normal last night so maybe. I ended up as the last person to kill their mob since they kept harassing me with it :\

Well tbh it's because you're bad

I'm level 34 and am 1-2 in every warzone in kills and damage. Snipers are fine. I was highly rated in WoW though so that could explain why I don't understand where these QQ posts are coming from. I think snipers scale with skill really well ie I have every single ability keybound and I use all of them.. I don't just herp derp ambush / snipe people and then complain when I lose a fight.. no I'm constantly utilizing everything we have (interupts, flash bang, stun, shield probe/evasion/entrench, ALWAYS kiting melee-- the thing about cover is that it's instant so you can run, snipe, run, snipe.. you don't have to be stationary.)

If you're comfortable with the amount of abilities we have (I have A LOT of keybinds, and everyone of them I am comfortable clicking in a clutch situation) and you know how to kite, then I believe sniper is one of the best classes.. so much potential.

For perspective I have a 20+ sorc and 30+ guardian, both of which never deal as much damage / hks as my sniper.

Unless you are level 50, you shouldn't be contributing to this discussion.