[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what the game should have looked like all along. The amount of time and stress and frustration it took me to figure out why it did not..just wow. I feel like I should be paid lol. here is the screenshot.

http://imgur.com/FfwAB

I am happy with the graphics now. Too bad I had to learn how to fix what I assume well paid coders could not.

Thanks for this. Makes a huge difference.

And strangely: The game runs... FASTER with these options on than it does with them off...

I know what has been said. maybe im dense... however, I played in a few beta weekends. I was amazed and sucked in by the amazing graphics, my (beautiful baby)(I spent over $600 on my graphics card) machine ran it smoothly, I was deeply impressed. Now I get these green bands that pop up and im stuck playing way below what my machine can handle. I understand that this implimentaion was a fix, a Dev choice so that the game would run better on more machines.. I just wish I had a choice, even if it chunked out my machine (did not happen to me)... I guess what it comes down to is that I feel a lack of respect. I want a choice.

I just want what I had in Beta, it worked for me, made me happy.. being sucked into the movie experiance made me happy.

Edited by SunTears

The worst part is I have no understanding as to WHY they would do this at all? It makes no sense... no rational sense...

when a statement and reality don't match up, its normally because the statement is incomplete and somewhat false.

Ever see a company lower its graphics in a game because people with below recommended specs had issues? Nope... This only makes sense if the high res texture options were somehow effecting everyone. I guess that could involve massive sub cancilations from under powered users, but who knows.

Check this out, i figured out how to take closeup shots and the difference from login screen to in game is quite saddening

In game shot -

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6016/80666371.jpg

Login shot

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1682/comparisonz.jpg

I just don't understand why they would disable high res self textures.. its ridiculous

Check this out, i figured out how to take closeup shots and the difference from login screen to in game is quite saddening

In game shot -

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6016/80666371.jpg

Login shot

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1682/comparisonz.jpg

I just don't understand why they would disable high res self textures.. its ridiculous

Sorry, got a good laugh seeing that Zombie. :p

I am not the kind that usually post on forums. Me and my friends are really disapointed with this issue. Most of us are really active player and we dedicate lots of time into end game. Some of us like me invested into hardware improvement so we could run the quality of the game we saw into beta and video. I remember starting playing on release and wondering why my caracter looked so blurry. I tought at first they changed some gears around and went away with it. I noticed this post after wondering why my full calomni/rakata gear on my juggernaut was looking like a bad remake of transformer when in quest talking it was looking awesome with all the details and wires comming out of it. I have that 7970 in there now waiting to do some work. The game looked awesome and some of us invested money outside of the game to have the hardware to get the maximum out of it. I really hope you give us back the product we all payed for.

Regards

Hey guys(and ladies:)) I think we all need to relax now... Don't get me wrong I'm pissed off by this issue myself but we won't get far, by just screaming out our hatred here... I'll just hope they heard us, and the only thing we'll have to do is to wait for this 1.2 patch(not some 2.8 or 5.17...)... Cheers:) Edited by MaxWham

Well I managed to force myself to play some last night, despite my bitterness. I had fun goofing around and killing world bosses with my friends, but at one point, while we were waiting for someone to get out to the middle of nowhere on Hoth, some of my guildies decided to give me the credits I needed to swap out all the mods on my current gear set. In a guild run of Red Reaper a few days ago, I picked up some Jedi Knight gear on my commando. They all thought is would be pretty epic for me to run around looking like a Jedi with my giant assault cannon.

Anyway, I swapped all my mods and wow... so disappointed in how the textures on my Jedi Knight robe look. There's a printed design on the back that's all blurry and the intricate metalwork on the chest is just a big muddy mess. Everything looked so epic when I tried it on my companion in the preview pane, but in the actual game it's just so depressing. Shot me right back to being bitter again.

Nvidia inspector to tweak ToR via Nvidia drivers. http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/N19h7m4r3/569197b8.png

Such as decreasing LOD to add reflections and increase shinies as well as improving mapping, and enabling ambient occlusion to make shinies really shiny like they should be, enabling AA bypassing the broken .ini settings, etc.

Enable AA through the .ini and you'll get a fps loss and nowhere as good, with Inspector you bypass the game settings entirely, getting AA with less loss of fps and better looking, such as AA would normally work in other non-beta games.

Still doesn't fix muddy textures, but it's still a massive improvement.

I just recently did that again as well as I seemed to accidently had my LOD set to clamp and instead of allow.

The funny thing is the game runs much smoother with the LOD forced to -3 than what it did without.

There's also the fact that I've noticed no frame rate loss with x8 AA set in inspector, unlike using the .ini which seemed to cripple my fps with x2 AA

This is running at 2560x1440 maxed in the game and inspector with a single GTX 470.

No frame rate problems in PvP either.

Bioware really are taking the mick here with not allowing High end textures.

Guys, there is pretty much nothing else you (we) can do about it. We asked for response, we got it. They are not going to do anything about it in near future and we won't get more replies in this thread, it makes me sad aswell, but thats how it works. As the CM said, they will try to improve.. what was the word? Ahh, "fidelity" but do not count on the high ressolution textures hidden somewhere under that term. If they would have plans to add those textures, then they would simply say so and not try to use fancy words to cover up their failure.

Right now the ball is on our side. Take a moment and think about this whole situation. If it's not a game breaker for you, keep on playing. If you do not approve of being screwed over then take appropriate action. There is only one way you can show your disapprovement to a mmo game developer... your subscription.

Bless your faces

Edited by Skwark

Why are people asking for more comments from Reid? He laid things out pretty concisely.

This reminds me of how many people have, over time, threatened to quit World of Warcraft because the player models haven't been updated. And over time, Blizzard has said "it's planned." That's it -- that was their reply. They're only talking about it more openly now, 7 years into the game.

High res should be put back in just to silence you cry-babies. Yeesh. Unsub and tell them why you've unsubbed if it bothers you that much. Stop demanding replies from the developers. And stop saying you were cheated; you were promised Star Warsy action in an MMO. I didn't get on Bethesda's case, demanding refunds, when I couldn't exactly duplicate the graphics and fluidity "promised" in their Skyrim trailer(s) when in-game. Criminey, you folks are whiny children.

Although I can't say I am happy with this, still I have managed to make enough tweaks to make it acceptable to me.

I think a lot of the issues are with the armor design. I would check to see exactly how that has been done. The soft lines on say robes and other outfits look broken up, smeared and just don't work. I realize these were meant to be subtle, but say the hard textures of a noob BH look practically just like the cut scenes. Not sure what is with some faces or why there is a sort of light in the eyes and a disconnected haze around characters in general. Best I'm getting are these screenshots but I'm always at 20-30fps at most :/

Today , 09:14 PM

Edit/Delete Message Report Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHauntingBard

In all honesty when I think of a game where the RP part is important I kind of expect the armor on my character to look detailed.

If you want to cut down on graphics this isn't the best thing to do.

All the work the art team has put into these designs has been for nothing since it looks utterly trash.

WOW changes because it became successful and Blizzard had to keep going to keep their customers happy, they never expected WOW to be such a success.

SWTOR can't be compared to WOW in a long shot, it's in a different league and a different time.

I speculate that the problem is with how SWTOR is build and how the servers/engine can handle the game.

From what I've noticed SWTOR runs clunky.

Still they advertised the game like it had high res textures and sold it with out.

This is basically my opinion as well. Armor textures seem to float in and out a bit and some look, well 'blown up' even on small characters.

My earlier post:

Although I can't say I am happy with this, still I have managed to make enough tweaks to make it acceptable to me.

I think a lot of the issues are with the armor design. I would check to see exactly how that has been done. The soft lines on say robes and other outfits look broken up, smeared and just don't work. I realize these were meant to be subtle, but say the hard textures of a noob BH look practically just like the cut scenes. Not sure what is with some faces or why there is a sort of light in the eyes and a disconnected haze around characters in general. Best I'm getting are these screenshots but I'm always at 20-30fps at most :/

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p..._45_435595.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p..._04_401991.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p..._54_088833.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p..._42_945628.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p..._14_482174.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p..._50_001205.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p..._13_215260.jpg

Edited by CarverX

Why are people asking for more comments from Reid? He laid things out pretty concisely.

This reminds me of how many people have, over time, threatened to quit World of Warcraft because the player models haven't been updated. And over time, Blizzard has said "it's planned." That's it -- that was their reply. They're only talking about it more openly now, 7 years into the game.

High res should be put back in just to silence you cry-babies. Yeesh. Unsub and tell them why you've unsubbed if it bothers you that much. Stop demanding replies from the developers. And stop saying you were cheated; you were promised Star Warsy action in an MMO. I didn't get on Bethesda's case, demanding refunds, when I couldn't exactly duplicate the graphics and fluidity "promised" in their Skyrim trailer(s) when in-game. Criminey, you folks are whiny children.

You are right that SR probably won't respond anymore so this thread is kinda meaningless.

It is different however to use something in beta, which worked flawlessly for most, and not upgrading the graphics in WoW. WoW never sold the game by showing high-res textures. BW let everyone use it in the beta and didn't bother telling them that they skip it in release. The graphics right now looks really bad and are not worthy of any MMO.

We can debate what we were "promised" but you are right that unsubing is the only real way to show your displeasure.

My sig says it all regarding this whole mess really.

If you haven't already; watch UE3(.5) Samaritan video.

Inb4 the "yes but you need the most powerfull rig on earth to run it" crowd; well for that particular demo yes, but the thing is it's highly scaleable and you could choose to turn things down a little.

EAoware could of afforded to license it, but that Gordon fella seemed to have his heart set on the (at the time) incomplete heroengine.

If you were to make out a side by side comparison feature list of a few good 3d engines, EAowares' version of heroengine would be put to shame.

the textures on 'high' currently look on par with lotro...which is a few years old. The look of the game leaves much to be desired, wish there were some good textures. Wonder if the problem is rooted in the hero engine.

I just recently did that again as well as I seemed to accidently had my LOD set to clamp and instead of allow.

The funny thing is the game runs much smoother with the LOD forced to -3 than what it did without.

There's also the fact that I've noticed no frame rate loss with x8 AA set in inspector, unlike using the .ini which seemed to cripple my fps with x2 AA

This is running at 2560x1440 maxed in the game and inspector with a single GTX 470.

No frame rate problems in PvP either.

Bioware really are taking the mick here with not allowing High end textures.

Thank you both for the posts. I'm going to try this and see what difference it makes for me. A bit annoyed at BW/EA for this graphical fiasco...out of curiosity though, do I need to do anything in my .ini or does Inspector just bypass any changes I've made to it previously? L:ike many people I did those changes first to try and make the game look less ugly. x.x

Thank you both for the posts. I'm going to try this and see what difference it makes for me. A bit annoyed at BW/EA for this graphical fiasco...out of curiosity though, do I need to do anything in my .ini or does Inspector just bypass any changes I've made to it previously? L:ike many people I did those changes first to try and make the game look less ugly. x.x

Inspector makes changes at the driver level where as the ini is engine, so depending on the settings used inspector will override the ini settings for things like aa and af.

Edit to add that I'm using FXAA as it looks to me as good as 8xMSAA with 2xTrSSAA but without the performance hit.

Edited by SwordinaBox

I got this game for the Environment I experienced in Beta. Then I had NO ISSUES RUNNING AT MAX SETTINGS.

I have since upgraded and would like to run this game in the way that I was SOLD it.

Give us our High Rez Textures back!

If peoples systems cannot handle it then they can lower it to the settings they can.

I didn't buy the game for the high res textures. I'm pretty certain it wasn't their selling point either. Wasn't on the list of 4 pillars.

For me (whom sadly, many would happily slot into the "graphics whore" category), I remember looking at the game early in development thinking how god awfull it looked.

Then later on, getting closer to release, seeing beta screens and their own media they put out and thinking what an amazing job they had done turning it around.

Now the environments are okay (though I would love some more atmosphere from day/night and realtime lighting/shadowing), but the char model, gear texture and shadows we are getting are piss poor in todays standard and can be compared to AOC on low.

Edited by SwordinaBox

Inspector makes changes at the driver level where as the ini is engine, so depending on the settings used inspector will override the ini settings for things like aa and af.

Edit to add that I'm using FXAA as it looks to me as good as 8xMSAA with 2xTrSSAA but without the performance hit.

One thing I forgot to mention is I recently turned off shadows and got a nice boost in performance as well.

They're god awful looking and actually left graphics glitches where the shadows didn't disappear after i travel on my speeder. They add nothing but an eye sore to me.

It could also explain why with the extra detail and AA forced the game doesn't take much of a hit.

Give us our High Rez Textures back!

If peoples systems cannot handle it then they can lower it to the settings they can.

Exactly, i don't see the problem.

Of course, it makes the cutscenes more epic with the high res texture difference, but i'd rather play the 90% other part of the game with hi res.