[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

High resolution is a relative thing anyways. In my opinion the textures look good. There is a lower option should I choose and the higher one, which I have You can add higher ones, but then people would want even higher ones then those. Where do you draw the line. I don't see why everyone wants to be able to see the skin texture on the characters faces, and every thread on their jedi cloak.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then this post brings us back to the oft repeated point: They shouldn't be advertising with settings that are currently unavailable and were never meant to be available to the user. It gives unrealistic expectations, is misleading, and generates the disappointment you see in these six threads.

every game does it tbh.

i played LOTRO for a while, i dont think it looks better but its hard to compare being 2 totally different landscape settings. and please dont even bother talking about dx11 in lotro lol, its a gimmick really.

High resolution is a relative thing anyways. In my opinion the textures look good. There is a lower option should I choose and the higher one, which I have You can add higher ones, but then people would want even higher ones then those. Where do you draw the line. I don't see why everyone wants to be able to see the skin texture on the characters faces, and every thread on their jedi cloak.

Believe me generally the look of the textures as they (as far as high rez goes ) are from 5 years back.

Zoom right in on your player in the game and look at the armour, its awful looking.

It isnt so much the detail, its the general material texture of the armour.

Its got that smudged look.

--------------------------------

Different people have different levels of hardware, but if if you buy a game advertised showing different to ingame, you should be able to run it to look like that.

Im lucky to have a PC less than 2 years old and i dont want my games looking like years back.

Edited by Urko

Believe me generally the look of the textures as they (as far as high rez goes ) are from 5 years back.

Zoom right in on your player in the game and look at the armour, its awful looking.

It isnt so much the detail, its the general material texture of the armour.

but from general playing distance it looks excellent. I don't see why you want to zoom in and see how many buttons are on his jacket pocket.

but from general playing distance it looks excellent. I don't see why you want to zoom in and see how many buttons are on his jacket pocket.

Even from general distance i feel it should look better.

If it was any ordinary game not zooming in would have a valid case, but in an mmo part of the game is to study armour (what you and others wear).

The fact is you should be able to zoom in and have decent graphics which were in beta AND are advertised as being in game , when they are not.

Edited by Urko

You draw the line somewhere above this.

To some people, one of the main forms of character development in a MMO is gear progression. You do harder content, you get better eqiupment (or you work on putting together "appearance" sets), and so on and so forth.

It takes a lot of the wind out of the endgame's sails if there's little-to-no point in getting that shiny new piece of gear if it looks like vegetable soup ran through a blender, which coincidentally is how your previous armor looked, and the piece before that, and before that.

/face palm

Well lets just go back to sprites then! Good ol 16bit. I mean who wants all that unnecessary detail in today games.

I'm now gonna trade my Bluray player in for a VCR! If I move my TV back farther I won't notice!

Edited by WarheartZero

To some people, one of the main forms of character development in a MMO is gear progression. You do harder content, you get better eqiupment (or you work on putting together "appearance" sets), and so on and so forth.

It takes a lot of the wind out of the endgame's sails if there's little-to-no point in getting that shiny new piece of gear if it looks like vegetable soup ran through a blender, which coincidentally is how your previous armor looked, and the piece before that, and before that.

Can't do anything but agree with this. Right now, while I'm leveling it doesn't really matter to me as much. Gear is temporary until 50. Once I hit 50, well, then it's about advancement through endgame; which is all about stats, and we get those stats from our gear.

For some people, it might be enough if they get some bland piece of equipment with amazing stats. For me, I want the amazing stats, and I want the armor to look cool. When a new player rolls a guardian and see's my character running around republic fleet, I want them to stop and take a screen shot because of how cool I looked, all the while thinking "that's how I want to look at 50" for the next umpteen levels.

After all, some of my better early MMO memories were seeing some of the amazing end game gear in some of these games thinking "Man... I can't WAIT until my character looks like THAT!!!"

every game does it tbh.

i played LOTRO for a while, i dont think it looks better but its hard to compare being 2 totally different landscape settings. and please dont even bother talking about dx11 in lotro lol, its a gimmick really.

No not every game does it, and even if they did, that wouldn't make it right. If I bought a game based on the graphics and opened it up and it looked like Mario on NES - it's unreasonable. This is no different.

In fact, in the UK, an Xbox 360 ad for FFXIII was banned because it used PS3 footage which was misrepresenting what the consumer was able to achieve.

I don't care about LOTRO, I care about TOR. The fact is, high resolution textures in an MMO are possible, and several other games are examples of this.

Edit: I don't know if this has been linked yet. It's the FTC's rules on advertising on the internet. One point

Demonstrations must show how the product will perform under normal use.
seems especially applicable to videos on this website entitled "Developer Walkthrough" showing real gameplay and screenshots that are clearly from gameplay. Edited by Edryk

I reference my earlier post.

This is exactly the same thing as going to Best Buy and buying a fancy HDTV after being impressed by the quality of the floor model. You take the TV home and unbox it, only to find out that the product you recieved cannot display HDTV. The manufacturer states that while the floor model had HD quality, your product "will get improvements in 2 or 3 months".

I don't care if other features of that TV are acceptable, that TV would be in the box and returned immediately.

Anyone saying otherwise is dilusional - which is why the people sticking up for the bait-and-switch Bioware pulled here blows my mind.

Just because the graphics are acceptable enough for some does not give the devopers free liberty to continue advertising a product they cannot, or will not deliver on.

To me, many of the graphic elements are cringe-worthy. Not once during my playtime with SWTOR have I wanted to take a screenshot of my character, or the landscape.

While I have overlooked bad graphics in past games, I knowingly did so because the advertised product was what I recieved (heres looking at you, Minecraft).

In this case I was denied the ability to make a proper purchase decision because the videos, screenshots, and beta presented a different product than what was offered. I would not have purchased this game had I known how muddied and horrible my character would actually look.

Edited by Multiple

Keep this issue alive.

I'll be keeping it alive for 3 more days. After that, my sub is up, and since I'll no longer be paying for the game then I'll have a diminished interest to see the game not suck. I'll most likely be back in WoW, but I'm kind of burnt out on it at the moment. May fire Rift up again or something. I thought about Aion, just to cleanse the pallet with a truly beautiful game, but glossing over the forums there, it seems like there are many issues with the gameplay and content. The Rift forums are in much better shape -- there's an expected amount of complaining, but the forums aren't entirely the wall of hate that they seem to be for some games.

I'll still check back here to see if EAware ever fixed their game, but my "crusade" to get the game to look like advertisements (or even get it to look like something made in the last half a dozen years) will be pretty much over, and failed. This will be the last bit of money BioWare and EA ever get from me unless drastic measures are taken to improve this game. I've already given up on most of EA for various reasons, the next-to-final nail in the coffin was shoving Origin down BF3's throat, the visual mess that is TOR (while they still advertise amazing graphics) is the final nail.

I reference my earlier post.

This is exactly the same thing as going to Best Buy and buying a fancy HDTV after being impressed by the quality of the floor model. You take the TV home and unbox it, only to find out that the product you recieved cannot display HDTV. The manufacturer states that while the floor model had HD quality, your product "will get improvements in 2 or 3 months".

I don't care if other features of that TV are acceptable, that TV would be in the box and returned immediately.

Anyone saying otherwise is dilusional - which is why the people sticking up for the bait-and-switch Bioware pulled here blows my mind.

Just because the graphics are acceptable enough for some does not give the devopers free liberty to continue advertising a product they cannot, or will not deliver on.

To me, many of the graphic elements are cringe-worthy. Not once during my playtime with SWTOR have I wanted to take a screenshot of my character, or the landscape.

While I have overlooked bad graphics in past games, I knowingly did so because the advertised product was what I recieved (heres looking at you, Minecraft).

In this case I was denied the ability to make a proper purchase decision because the videos, screenshots, and beta presented a different product than what was offered. I would not have purchased this game had I known how muddied and horrible my character would actually look.

You got a valid point there. But because I like the design of the TV so much I just hope they fix it.

.........In this case I was denied the ability to make a proper purchase decision because the videos, screenshots, and beta presented a different product than what was offered. I would not have purchased this game had I known how muddied and horrible my character would actually look.

I appreciate good graphics too, but you need to chill a bit. I am running on max settings and I think the game is far from "muddied and horrible". Things look pretty darn nice. Its not Skyrim graphics but the game still looks decent and is lots of fun.

Oh, and this is not exactly the same thing as your TV example. TVs main purpose is viewing. The games main purpose is fun. If you bought this game for the graphics, then you should have looked elsewhere. There are far better graphic games out there than the best screen shots show (unless you thought the game was the cinematic trailer). ;)

TL;DR: Relax and enjoy the game.

Edited by Zhothon

How can you justify this

And look what they are promoting, false advertising.

Where do you draw the line ?

Edit: I don't know if this has been linked yet. It's the FTC's rules on advertising on the internet. One point seems especially applicable to videos on this website entitled "Developer Walkthrough" showing real gameplay and screenshots that are clearly from gameplay.

And right there is the tool to hit them with.

Personally, I give up. I'll likely be gone long before the 60+ days on my account expire, so EAware can enjoy some free money. The last money they'll ever see from me.

I refuse to support liars, but I also refuse to sit and beg the liars to make things right.

Between this game, and now Mass Effect 3 being announced as requiring Origin and allowing small digital distributors like Direct2drive to sell it but not Steam ( where their profits WOULD have been for PC, sure their investors aren't going to be happy ) for sale, EAware will be seeing less-than-expected profit from ME3 on top of loss of revenue from SWToR as people get tired of the lies, false advertisement, impossibly idiotic customer service, and other issues in the game itself.

So, I'm going to go grab whatever enjoyment I can from this "service" I paid for and then it's hasta la vista forever EAware.

Edit: EAware is just waiting us out. One by one, the rest will get tired of having to beg for truthful responses and just give up on hoping as I have. That's why they keep the threads going instead of just locking it. It keeps everyone complaining mostly in one thread where it's easy for the rest of the playerbase to ignore it while those in it slowly give up and go away.

Edited by Zorvan

*all discourse is meant to be constructive criticism*

--Seeing the high resolution textures in game, during the conversation and holo-terminal glitch, make me feel even more ripped off by not being able to enjoy them full time. The game doesn't even render my sidearm while playing, and my clothing looks like stretchy yoga pants and a goodwill tactilneck.

The "official response" chapped my hole even rawer. That logic is just mind numbing. It's basically like me going out and buying a brand new six speed Aston Martin V12 Vantage and having the manufacturer tell me the car only has first and second gear (it wasn't meant to have gears three through six), and I'm electronically limited to 80 miles an hour. (for my own safety) Oh and it has two engines. One in the rear for normal driving, and one in the front for when I REALLY want to go fast.

I have a Falcon Northwest. It will run your pathetic high end textures during raids. Why can't I use the full potential of my machine and use the full potential of the game? I have no clue why there isn't a ladder of graphics options, like every other video game in the known universe, where one can personally scale the quality of their experience based on the performance of their machine.

But alas, dear citizens, we are forced to choose between two options..poor, and mediocre. Hell, I've been forcing the highest level of AA I can since launch. I had to change the ini to read only because it was being erased during launch. Even the experience going from no AA to AA made a big difference in the enjoyability of the game for me.

I'm sorry, but a user should be able to choose and scale the level and quality of their graphics.

The only work around I can see, is if someone can develop a way to just use the high end renderer full time. If anyone has found a way to do this, pm me and I'll gladly make the appropriate changes to use it nonstop. Because, let's be honest, it's not going to ever get implemented or fixed anytime soon...if ever.

TL;DR : Hi-Res gfx nao!

Oh, one last thing.

Their "big update" in March http://www.computerandvideogames.com/332295/star-wars-old-republic-update-2-will-be-much-bigger/. Notice something they say nothing about?

They were just trying to pacify us with the whole "first quarter" bullcrap they had Reid feed us, nothing more

I can understand why everyone is upset anf given BioWare's usual quality so am I no doubt, BUT guys they need to of course also have resources allocated to content upgrades. And the fact that AA options are returning tonight with 1.1 is already a step in the right direction. Jeez. Stop speculating already and stop calling lies when in fact you have NO proof. Please think about it before flaming me.

I can understand why everyone is upset anf given BioWare's usual quality so am I no doubt, BUT guys they need to of course also have resources allocated to content upgrades. And the fact that AA options are returning tonight with 1.1 is already a step in the right direction. Jeez. Stop speculating already and stop calling lies when in fact you have NO proof. Please think about it before flaming me.

I'm looking forward to good things from the patch and all future updates, but be very careful, you enter very dangerous territory when you start telling angry customers what to do or how to behave...

Fingers crossed hoping for the best, inspite of the current situation, and doing what I can on my end.

-Doh

The thing that bothers me about the Wait-and-See Tribe (Scrubs reference woo!) is this:

Wait-and-See says, "Hey, wait and see, it could be better, you don't know what the future holds!"

People upset that TOR looks like butt say, "Exactly, we have no idea. We have a weasel-worded PR response that things will 'improve' ... months from now. Instead of just giving us the same optionset that was available in beta."

It's a circular and hollow argument. Yeah, EAware may fix the game to even the most specific of requests. Or they may not. There's no proof either way because the only official word on the matter is PR spin that actually promises very, very little.

So, just like 'People Against The Blurry Republic' have no proof of future progress, the Wait-and-See have no proof, either. That's the entire problem -- we have no idea what the design intent or goal is, because the people in charge won't just lay it out on the table. "Improve graphical fidelity" means nothing because "improve" is a relative word. If the textures were made .01% better, that's "improved" and still nowhere near what we're asking for, or what would be visually comparable to any other modern MMO on the market.

If SR or any dev could have just said "Goal is high rez textures for you, your companion, and your group by 1.2, possibly in Q1 2012, will try to optimize engine for full high rez texture support by summer" then a huge chunk of this graphical nightmare would be behind us.

On top of all of that, there is proof that they've already lied. These textures were part of beta. They were pulled. Reasons were given as to why, and the players were led to believe that they'd be put back. To date, no single advertisement image or video appears to use the atlas-dogbarf textures that players have to play the game with. To date, Bioware said that the textures were tested and didn't work at one point, then 180'd and said that we were never supposed to even have them at all. And this was all after hundreds of pages of rage and "what the hell, mate?" after we saw the medium texture option silently dropped from the test server.

If that doesn't constitute "lying", then I'm really not sure what does. I have a bridge to sell you, and also I'm a deposed prince in desperate need of assistance to unlock my family fortune.