2 button rotation?

Kogarvandalin

Hey guys My mains a 50 assassin tank, and I have a 21 button priority list. Which is fine for raiding and when I'm sober.

However I like to get smashed and play drunk on the weekends.

I heard in general that mercs only use a 2 button rotation. I'm sure its over exaggeration. But what is your priory/rotation list contain? I'd be happy with something like 5-6 buttons.

If you have a 21 button list, then you are the type that will have a lot of buttons here too. The guys saying 2 buttons dont know crap. The guys who play a merc with 5-6 buttons would play your toon with 5-6 buttons instead of 21 too.

Good luck.

Edited by TempestasSilva

Obviously that is an exaggeration, but our basic rotation is pretty simple...

Unload

Tracer

Tracer

Tracer

Heatseeker

Unload (somewhere near here, depends on proc)

Tracer

Tracer

Rail Shot

Rinse and Repeat. Now we do have some other skills to toss in there depending on the fight, but just doing the above is probably 90-95% effecient if you disregard aoe pulls. We do awesome AoE as well, and really only have 3 buttons for AoE.

Unload

Tracer

Tracer

Tracer

Heatseeker

Tracer

Tracer

Rail Shot

Rinse and Repeat. Now we do have some other skills to toss in there depending on the fight, but just doing the above is probably 90-95% effecient if you disregard aoe pulls. We do awesome AoE as well, and really only have 3 buttons for AoE.

You start off with Unload? Uhm... why?

Because its basically free, personally I'm not a huge fan of starting with unload, but the reasoning behind it is sound and until we get logs its impossible to know for certain if its actually worth postponing the rest of your rotation for the free unbarraged unload.

Because its basically free, personally I'm not a huge fan of starting with unload, but the reasoning behind it is sound and until we get logs its impossible to know for certain if its actually worth postponing the rest of your rotation for the free unbarraged unload.

Wouldn't it make more sense to open with Tracer Missile for the armor de-buff for follow up attacks?

You should go sith sorc. I hear they have exactly one button, reserved for Force Lightning. They just send their tank in and spam non-stop force lightning.

At least that's what I've been told. As for merc, if it's pure arsenal tree, than yeah:

tracerx3=>heatseeker missile=>tracerx2=>railshot

That's our main rotation. Unload and rapid shots act as fillers whenever you need to vent some heat or when it procs for free.

Oh, by the way, don't start with Unload, it isn't worth your dps loss. To put it simply, Unload lasts for three seconds, that's two tracer missiles and an armor debuff of 16%. On top of that, Unload has a nasty habit of bugging out and doing only two damage ticks, which is also hits your dps pretty hard. However when you're using it after the "free" proc, it receives damage buff, which almost makes up for any damage loss and makes Unload efficient for both dps and heat management, because that unload is three seconds long=15 heat refund(assuming you're not breaching the 40 heat mark).

Edited by DervimNorth

You should go sith sorc. I hear they have exactly one button, reserved for Force Lightning. They just send their tank in and spam non-stop force lightning.

At least that's what I've been told. As for merc, if it's pure arsenal tree, than yeah:

tracerx3=>heatseeker missile=>tracerx2=>railshot

That's our main rotation. Unload and rapid shots act as fillers whenever you need to vent some heat or when it procs for free.

Oh, by the way, don't start with Unload, it isn't worth your dps loss. To put it simply, Unload lasts for three seconds, that's two tracer missiles and an armor debuff of 16%. On top of that, Unload has a nasty habit of bugging out and doing only two damage ticks, which is also hits your dps pretty hard. However when you're using it after the "free" proc, it receives damage buff, which almost makes up for any damage loss and makes Unload efficient for both dps and heat management, because that unload is three seconds long=15 heat refund(assuming you're not breaching the 40 heat mark).

If you think Unload is a filler you're insane. It gets a flat 33% damage increase in the Arsenal tree and another 25% damage increase on proc in the talent tier above it. This ability is easily one of our best for PvE or PvP (for PvP you wanna talent pinning fire though).

Plus, if you do decide to use it as an opener its basically free, as its initial heat cost will go back down to 0 by the time its finished casting.

Hey guys My mains a 50 assassin tank, and I have a 21 button priority list. Which is fine for raiding and when I'm sober.

However I like to get smashed and play drunk on the weekends.

I heard in general that mercs only use a 2 button rotation. I'm sure its over exaggeration. But what is your priory/rotation list contain? I'd be happy with something like 5-6 buttons.

Tracer is to get 5 stack, proc an unload buff, stack a rail shot buff

Heatseeker is priority with a 5 stack

Unload when procced from tracer

Rail shot at 5 stack and while moving

Rapid shots to keep heat low

That is your basic rotation. Melee classes have way more buttons they use in a given situation it is true, but 2 buttons it is not. Including cooldowns, knockbacks, stuns, aoe, etc we also have a massive amount of things to use to optimize, but 5 buttons will get you good dps on a tank and spank fight.

I've been leveling my assassin to tank and Im really enjoying the more involved play but I don't think it is 25 for a simple fight. basic attack, thrash, shock, bubble, lightning, discharge are the 6 moves primarilly used without optimizing cooldowns, aoes, etc. I think the difference is that a merc using the basic attacks can do better than a assassin using the basic moves even though optimizing takes more skill.

I would argue Unload is your top priority when it procs. It takes precendent over any other shot available, as long as you can channel the whole spell.

Tracer missle is baseline and your filler spell to ensure 5 stacks.

Rapid shots if you're getting close to heat issues.

Heatseeker at 5 stacks (usually on cooldown once you get your stacks up).

Rail shot at 5 stacks.

Unload

Tracer

Tracer

Tracer

Heatseeker

Tracer

Tracer

Rail Shot

Perhaps it is obvious, but this "rotation" isn't taking into account that if you did these abilities in this order with no Rapid Shots in between your heat would be pretty dang high. Now if this is a starting rotation and you use Vent Heat in there, then maybe. Later on you have to weave in Rapid Shots quite a bit.

Mine looks a little something like this.

Explosive dart (when no CC mobs near target)

Tracer (by time this tracer is cast heat from Explosive Dart is back to zero)

Tracer

Tracer

Unload ( always after 3 tracers as this way you receive full effect of heat signature allowing for max damage and allow heat to dissipate from the tracers)

Thermal sensor override ( which if used with the next two skills they both will cost no Heat if your fast enough ie a cast followed by an instant)

Tracer

Heat seeker

Tracer

Rail shot ( always after 5 tracers or when on the move)

Unload

Now if heat allows such as bosses where your on the move alot I will throw in an instant Fusion missile and Explosive dart just to keep the dps topped off while spamming Rapid shot.

Then using Unload every time it procs or if I need to dissipate heat, and finally making sure Heat signature is always on the target.

Treating this as a "rotation" is never optimal, people just call it a rotation, but its a priority list.

basically its like this:

rapid shot(on high heat) > rail(5locks) > HSM(5sigs) > unload(barrage proc) >tracer

with thermal sensor override and vent used either as many times as possible during the fight(when applicable ofc) or saved for specific moments in a fight.

Some people suggest opening with unload because within the 3 secs of use it returns 15 heat, witch basically makes it free.

The counter argument to that would be that you postpone all the rest of your rotation and this loosing dps.

personally i prefer not using unload at the start, but as i said before, its pretty hard to tell whats the true answer since we have no logs or good sims and cant really compare, so its all a guess work and theories at the moment

PS

this is a good professional forum discussing arsenal merc(among other things)

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Arsenal-Mercenary-Gunnery-Commando-DPS-Compendium

Some people suggest opening with unload because within the 3 secs of use it returns 15 heat, witch basically makes it free.

The counter argument to that would be that you postpone all the rest of your rotation and this loosing dps.

I would put up a few Tracers first simply because you SHOULD crit atleast 1 tick of unload which means you lose an extra 8 heat with Terminal Velocity which is wasted if you start off with unload.

Normally I start off with Tracer x3 (2e or 3e one with Termal override to stay low heat) > Heatseeker > Unload

Mainly so you have some heat to vent with proccs during unload and get Heatseeker on cd which is our highest dmg spell and Unload isnt amazing without the procc so its not a high priority to start off with and ofc you get full armor reduction at this point.

Edited by Grizfang

the heat from unload is wasted only if you are gonna hardcast unload during your main rotation otherwise barrage finished its cd anyways.

You would be casting it without the buff if you start off with it meaning it wont dump any heat because you are at 0 and it will do sub-par dmg because you didnt get the buff.

If you think Unload is a filler you're insane. It gets a flat 33% damage increase in the Arsenal tree and another 25% damage increase on proc in the talent tier above it. This ability is easily one of our best for PvE or PvP (for PvP you wanna talent pinning fire though).

Plus, if you do decide to use it as an opener its basically free, as its initial heat cost will go back down to 0 by the time its finished casting.

It can be easily interrupted in both pvp and pve. Not only that, but lots of time I see only two ticks popping up, instead of three. Also, it's damage is almost that of two tracer missiles, except that tracer sets up your entire rotation, buffs Unload, Rail and Heatseeker, as well as debuffs the target, and it's a tech damage=bypasses armor/shield mitigation, if I'm not mistaken.

Unload

Tracer

Tracer

Tracer

Heatseeker

Tracer

Tracer

Rail Shot

You should fill between some of these tracer shots with rapid shots or you will find yourself filling up heat very quickly, also i find that unload is better to use when you have the buff up and a five stack of debuff on them. on single targets I start with tracer and keep it going untill i see either the unload buff proc, or I get 5 stacks of debuff with rail shot buff.

So somehting like this:

Tracer--{did unload buff proc?}--if yes then--Unload--if not then--{do i have five stacks of debuff and rail shot buff?}-- if yes then--Railshot--Heatseeker.

Of course the priority list and "rotation" changes on multiple targets depending on strength and such.

Yep, it's a good class to play while dumb and/or intoxicated.

From experience i can testify that it's by no means as easy as playing a melee class that has loads of instant attacks that do twice the damage of their castable main ability but yeah good class to play.

I would put up a few Tracers first simply because you SHOULD crit atleast 1 tick of unload which means you lose an extra 8 heat with Terminal Velocity which is wasted if you start off with unload.

Normally I start off with Tracer x3 (2e or 3e one with Termal override to stay low heat) > Heatseeker > Unload

Mainly so you have some heat to vent with proccs during unload and get Heatseeker on cd which is our highest dmg spell and Unload isnt amazing without the procc so its not a high priority to start off with and ofc you get full armor reduction at this point.

I think the point is more that if you start with an instant ability, or more specific an ability that frontloads the heat use (instants and unload); you can regen most if not all of that heat as you cast tracer missile.

I also think Unload however is a rather bad one at that. I would much rather use explosive dart whilst running in range or something.

Another option is to use Power Surge right at the start and combine it with Tracer Missile for example; this blows off some heat right away and gets you those 2 heat signatures.

Unless there is a better use for Power Surge in the fight, I think this has some solid use as well. Just have to be careful of aggro.

i stopped unloading as opener, but any time unlod proc for +25% on top of the 33% is must be used, it is by far our biggest hitter and is heat neutral if you DONT crit, if you crit it is a mini vent heat for christ sake :)

HM/rail are for bursting, to either scare them or as a finishing move.