Bioware's unshaken confidence is troubling

Makade

I know why SWTOR sold so well. Again, if you could read my post history...

To say a game has declined in activity around the holidays... is well short sighted. For many reasons.

1. School break. Younger people will play.

2. Vacations. A lot of people took vacations primarily for SWTOR. If they couldn't in December, they did in the beginning of January.

3. The reason your looking for... not being interested.

To also base a game on server fullness, is well also short sightedness. Your graphs show activity, but do they show if server size was increased? Also, for the 3 reasons mentioned above, game activity could have decline.

The graph shows total concurrent players, not total server fullness.

When 16 servers were full at launch, the graph showed 600k concurrent players, when it dropped down to 1 full server, it showed around 250k concurrent players.

The graph is consistent with server fullness and there is no evidence to suggest that Bioware is raising server caps

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When 16 servers were full at launch, the graph showed 600k concurrent players, when it dropped down to 1 full server, it showed around 250k concurrent players.

The graph is consistent with server fullness and there is no evidence to suggest that Bioware is raising server caps

You have NO evidence to support this. Again, the creator of the graphs said you cannot see them this way. No one but bioware has any idea how many players can play until a server is full.

Rift has been very public about their sales numbers and have announced sales over 1m and that they have seen significant growth over time. This report has sales under 500k. Maybe Trion is lying or it's low because vgchartz doesn't include Amazon, Walmart or digital(such as Steam) sales. After an initial launch, it's generally hard to find a box copy of most MMOs so I wouldn't expect vgchartz to report much growth.

Trion has been the most honest team ive ever seen . very transparent, the sales from launch put it at 850k . but i could easily have hit 1.1 1.2 mil

You have NO evidence to support this. Again, the creator of the graphs said you cannot see them this way. No one but bioware has any idea how many players can play until a server is full.

I can't see the graphs in the way they were designed to be seen?

Secondly I've quoted numerous sale record sites to support my clains even if the graph site fails to convince you.

You're just making excuses

why the hell can't you accept that the MAKER of the activity statistics everyone keeps quoting cannot be seen this way? BW could provide accurate statistics about subscriptions and activity- And only they. And yes, they raised server caps, people do not keep playing 24/7 like in holiday periods and so on. That are the reasons that the server seem less full.

There are people leaving after the free month, a lot more than those who have posted about it here. We will have to see how many. Im sure BW will try to boast with subscription numbers after the free month.

There will be an easy 30 to 40% burn off , the question remains can they retain the other 60% long term and win back a small percentage of the burn off. Currently not a cance they may see AOC type of burn off with a 30 % retention after 6 months.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=60893

They did raise caps on some servers. You graphs do not show individual servers, so in my opinion I see that as a flaw of the graphs.

http://www.swtorarena.com/topic/210-swtor-statistics-tool-faq/

The graphs also do NOT show numbers. An example of your 600k quote:

A value of 600 (in y-axis) with a total number of 215 servers means; 600 / 215 = 2.7 ( ~ standard population)

It is NOT showing how many people per say on are online, but HOW FULL the servers are. Data that is parsed from this very website.

How is the data gathered?

The tool automatically queries swtor.com's server-status page every 5 minutes and commits the samples to it's database.

Really? you should follow financials actually rift is making money hand over fist . and Trion is getting massive pressure from investors to go Public and many more devolpers begging for them to liscense their engine for use. Rift is doing quite well it sold 850 k copies and retained well over 60% at the 6 month mark. All on its own dime its own IP and its own Engine. they are raking in the cash believe me raking it in.

Which financials? Trion is a private company and has never released any sub numbers, all they have said is that Rift is profitable. Also, Trion got 100 million to develop Rift and 2 other MMO's, so not exactly working on a shoestring budget either.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=60893

They did raise caps on some servers. You graphs do not show individual servers, so in my opinion I see that as a flaw of the graphs.

http://www.swtorarena.com/topic/210-swtor-statistics-tool-faq/

The graphs also do NOT show numbers. An example of your 600k quote:

It is NOT showing how many people per say on are online, but HOW FULL the servers are. Data that is parsed from this very website.

Fair enough, however, more and more servers are dipping below very heavy and heavy so my point still remains since they haven't raised the cap on ALL the servers. Meaning that some servers that haven't raised cap and were full but are now very heavy or heavy still proves that activity is declining

Fair enough, however, more and more servers are dipping below very heavy and heavy so my point still remains since they haven't raised the cap on ALL the servers. Meaning that some servers that haven't raised cap and were full but are now very heavy or heavy still proves that activity is declining

That is because they increased the population caps they even said so...James Ohlan just said in a interview with Rock Paper Shotgun that the community was still growing as in it has gained in population.

The doom you are spouting does not exist no matter how bad you want it to.

Yes. Do I have to quote the three reasons I just listed? Myself had 4 days off this week, will have 3 next week, but will go back to my standard 2 the following week. Does not mean I left. It just means I am not as active two weeks from now as I am now.

Yes, some have left the game. I will not deny that. But to assume that ALL activity has declined due to product design, especially around this time of year, is extremely short sighted.

That is because they increased the population caps they even said so...James Ohlan just said in a interview with Rock Paper Shotgun that the community was still growing as in it has gained in population.

First of all i just explained why my point still remains.

Secondly, what the HELL else is he gonna say? "WE'RE DOOMED THE GAME IS CRASHING!"

Oh please, I remember at an interview that a Warhammer Online dev said that WAR was "still thriving"

Quit trying to pass of PR damage control as proof

Edited by Blackwater

I don't believe those claims.

No server waits, very few people on any of the planets compared to launch, hard to get a group for any Flashpoint over 30+. The population is definitely in decline and anyone who is playing can see it. Smells like BS.

Yes. Do I have to quote the three reasons I just listed? Myself had 4 days off this week, will have 3 next week, but will go back to my standard 2 the following week. Does not mean I left. It just means I am not as active two weeks from now as I am now.

Yes, some have left the game. I will not deny that. But to assume that ALL activity has declined due to product design, especially around this time of year, is extremely short sighted.

The logic of you trying to say "Well MY activity is going down so that means the rest of the SWTOR subscription base will follow" is incredibly flawed

I don't believe those claims.

No server waits, very few people on any of the planets compared to launch, hard to get a group for any Flashpoint over 30+. The population is definitely in decline and anyone who is playing can see it. Smells like BS.

Servers look very healthy. Not a single one in light status besides Test server. The doomsayers are simply grasping at straws.

For a friday night I would say we are looking good.

The logic of you trying to say "Well MY activity is going down so that means the rest of the SWTOR subscription base will follow" is incredibly flawed

I did not say that because mine went down, so did everyone elses. I am merely one in a thousand in my situation, and I do NOT doubt there are more. Considering my significant other returns to work two weeks from now as well.

Again, school kids and vacations will cause an activity decline in ANY mmo/game. Period. To say the decline is PURELY because of lack of interest in a game is flawed and has no credentials to merit it.

I think some gaming critics don’t look ahead when they give out their criticisms. I think that some of them believe that the first thirty days is an overall indicator of how successful an MMO will be. The sad fact is that this is not always going to be the case and I’ll explain why. The past ten years has seen a considerable boom in MMOs. Some of those MMOs have gone on to become widely successful or successful enough to stay in business. Many players have built considerable relationships in those MMOs and have also placed time and energy into their characters. Many of those players have had good relationships or experiences with developers of those particular games. Going to a new game means starting over from scratch. Many of those players just don’t want to do that.

Now I’m not going to be arrogant enough to say that that is the case with all players. Some will leave because they don’t like the game, which is fine. I mean you can’t win them all right? Others will leave because the subscription price is too high. Hey, money is tight in this day in age. Some will leave because the developers didn’t conform to their high expectations. In short, there’ll be people leaving for their own reasons.

We’re going to see this with every new MMO that comes out. Every new MMO will be flooded for those first thirty days. After that you’ll have a lot of people leaving for the reasons I’ve mentioned or for other reasons. Along the way there will critics who think that this is the beginning of the end because in their eyes if it doesn’t surpass the overall success of the number 1 MMOs out there then it should be shot in the head and buried. Every new MMO will go through this including Guild Wars 2.

In my view, a game’s overall success comes with the passage of time not the first thirty days. Can the developers listen to its player base? Can the developers give the player base what it wants? Can the developers give updates on a regular basis? Can the developers talk to us? You can’t get that kind of information in the first thirty days. You can only get it after some time and lets face it some critics just don’t have the patience to wait that long.

History has taught us that developers can make or break a game. It all depends on how well they listen to their player base. CCP had its problems with monocle-gate. Of course there are people here who can tell you what they were doing on the day the CU and NGE updates came out on SWG.

Servers look very healthy. Not a single one in light status besides Test server. The doomsayers are simply grasping at straws.

For a friday night I would say we are looking good.

For a friday night, SWTOR has 1 full server.

That is NOT looking good for a BRAND NEW MMO

I did not say that because mine went down, so did everyone elses. I am merely one in a thousand in my situation, and I do NOT doubt there are more. Considering my significant other returns to work two weeks from now as well.

Again, school kids and vacations will cause an activity decline in ANY mmo/game. Period. To say the decline is PURELY because of lack of interest in a game is flawed and has no credentials to merit it.

Even so, weekend activity is also seeing a decline

Edited by Blackwater

Keep grasping at straws. When you return to Earth tell me what Fantasy Land is like. Yeah TOR only has 100+ servers loaded with people. I guess because they aren't "full" the sky is falling

Even so, weekend activity as also seeing a decline

Again, you are thinking server population=fullness of a server. It does not.

Lets say I have a server that holds 200 people for a website. First 3 weeks, server is full. Then I expand my server space to accommodate 1000 people. Of course 200/200 will look better than 200/1000. Doesn't mean my hits have gone down, I just have more space.

Also, the 3 reasons I mentioned for leaving MMO's around this time come into play as well...

Your basing your "activity" off of that graph site, which I have already proven is not "end all be all." There are no populace numbers revealed but server fullness. Huge difference.